New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Warhammer Models Thread III: A Brush With Death

Hm. New idea on the Bone Giant:

Lower body of a Trygon. Does anyone have an idea how the sizes would compare? The general idea, then, would be to cover up most of the holes and most tyranid-ish parts with Green Stuff or fitting bits.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post

Lower body of a Trygon. Does anyone have an idea how the sizes would compare? The general idea, then, would be to cover up most of the holes and most tyranid-ish parts with Green Stuff or fitting bits.
    too big. I play tyranids.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Science Officer View Post
    This weekend I finished my IoB Rat Ogres.
    These are the first models I've done with care, all the clan rats I just base-coated and washed.

I think the turned out very well.
    My photography is terrible as usual, but I'd rather not post pictures than learn to do it better. *shrug*

First One Front
    Spoiler
    Show

First One Back
    Spoiler
    Show

Second One Front
    Spoiler
    Show

Second One Back
    Spoiler
    Show
    Looking good! And appropriately terrifying, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post

Having once put a Trygon together (I don't play Tyranids, but made one for a friend at one point)... I think it might actually fit quite well. The Sphinx's torse might be a tad wider than what usually goes on a Trygon's body, but not to the point where it wouldn't work anymore, I think.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Science Officer View Post
    This weekend I finished my IoB Rat Ogres.
    These are the first models I've done with care, all the clan rats I just base-coated and washed.

I think the turned out very well.
    My photography is terrible as usual, but I'd rather not post pictures than learn to do it better. *shrug*

First One Front
    Spoiler
    Show

First One Back
    Spoiler
    Show

Second One Front
    Spoiler
    Show

Second One Back
    Spoiler
    Show
    You might want to try to get better lighting on the second rat ogre, but from what I could see, I like. Might want to dry brush/highlight the stitches. Found that it makes the unit pop some more.

Overall, quite impressive for a first serious attempt.
    I play:
    RPG: Pathfinder; D&D 3.X, 4; L5R; World of Darkness; Exalted, and many more.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Greenskins and Bretonnia
    Warmachine: Cygnar and Trollblood
    Malifaux: Rasputina (Arcanists)
    Warhammer 40k: Tau and Necron.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Good painting indeed. My only advice would be to paint their eyes. Of course, this comes from someone who hasn't yet managed to paint the eyes the same box' high elves.
    Formerly known as Discord here and Maladin on avatarspirit.net.

6. - Top - End - #126

Putting some dark or reddish wash or ink in the eyes should be enough. It's what I do. Mostly, because I can't do a spot of paint small enough not to paint half the face.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

I do the same thing, but it doesn't give the same feeling as actually painting their eyes (I wanted to paint them entirely black). It's not because I can't do a small enough spot though; my hands shake terribly. I can paint their teeth just fine.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

While we're on the subject of painting really, really fine things, does anybody have advice on how to paint very thin lines? I'd like to make some inscriptions on the Grey Knights I'm currently working on, and even the finest brush I have leaves lines thicker than what I'd like; I tried taking a needle and sticking its tip in paint, but that just makes a big fat drop hang at the needle's tip, leaving huge blotches, and if I try to brush that drop off the needle doesn't leave any trace on the model at all anymore, so... yeah. What can a person that does have the luck of having steady hands and wants to paint something really, really fine and small do to accomplish that?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

People around me (who admittedly don't paint models themselves) always suggested toothpicks.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Faun View Post
    People around me (who admittedly don't paint models themselves) always suggested toothpicks.
    I just paint them, even with pupils on wardancers it ain´t that hard.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

11. - Top - End - #131

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    I tried taking a needle and sticking its tip in paint, but that just makes a big fat drop hang at the needle's tip, leaving huge blotches, and if I try to brush that drop off the needle doesn't leave any trace on the model at all anymore, so...
    You need to play around with the consistency of the paint to reduce the viscosity for that to work. Unfortunately I have no idea what mix of Pigment/Solvent/Water would work well.
    So... Tired...

12. - Top - End - #132

If it is a raised detail, painting kindof like dry brushing can work. If you need to do it free hand toothpicks can work, but I find ultra fine sharpies can work better, and its easy work for when you need to do something like a unit or block of droops. Just note the color might not be what shows on paper if the backdrop isn't light/white.

Also an ink well pen can work too, dipped in paint (might need to water it down some) NOTE: if you don't clean the tip you will ruin it. This allows it to hold more paint then a toothpick. This is the preferred method for unique things, looks better then the sharpy, but takes more time.
    I play:

13. - Top - End - #133
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ooh yeah, eyes. Keep forgetting about those things.
    I also have forty blind clanrats... (sounds like a nursery rhyme...)

I really wanted to do the stitches, but they are sooo tiny. I might try toothpicks or sharpies or something.
    Thanks for the ideas and kind words.

14. - Top - End - #134

Toothpicks work, but you need to change them often. I use them for most details, they don't flop around like small brushes do when my hands shake.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    While we're on the subject of painting really, really fine things, does anybody have advice on how to paint very thin lines? I'd like to make some inscriptions on the Grey Knights I'm currently working on, and even the finest brush I have leaves lines thicker than what I'd like; I tried taking a needle and sticking its tip in paint, but that just makes a big fat drop hang at the needle's tip, leaving huge blotches, and if I try to brush that drop off the needle doesn't leave any trace on the model at all anymore, so... yeah. What can a person that does have the luck of having steady hands and wants to paint something really, really fine and small do to accomplish that?
    Depends on the size of the model. You can usually get away with some Scotch brand blue masking tape. That's what I use.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

You guys seem to know a good bit about whats out there as far as model rangers, and I figured I would bring my question here first.

I run an all female guard regiment and try to represent the characters I counts-as somewhat like the original. Do you guys know any model I could conceivably count as Creed? Preferably someone with a greatcoat/cigar/dual pistols. Even just one or two of those would probably make it look close enough, provided she looks somewhat guard officer-y.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Khurasan's "Genocidal Overlord" could work well, or at least for a commisar:

Also Pulp Miniatures "She-Wolves" are a possibility:

-

For painting thin lines or other finescale work I find having a damp brush is often key, as well as the paint slightly thinned. I also find that using a large size brush with a good tip is sometimes better than using a smaller brush. For instance I paint eyes on my dudes and dudettes using a GW detail brush, rather than the fine detail, and have used a 000 size in the past for such things.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hello,

Specifically, this post is aimed at Australians.
    What kind of dremmel do you use? Also, how much did it cost? Tools, like a few other things, are one of those 'get what you pay for' kind of objects.

I've got my Gabriel Seth and I need to take out his head. Because Marines wear helmets (I know, if he wears a helmet, he wont be as recognizable as Captain Garen, leader of the Dauntless Vanguard).

Random crap.
    Spoiler
    Show
    In other news, I'm a git. I'm starting my Blood Dragons/Knights of Blood Marines, and, guess what, due to heraldric tradition, I can leave symbols on special character's kneepads (Such as Seth's Spin-To-Win emblem). Shoulder Pads, and other large, easily-removable symbols will be filed off to be replaced with Dragons.

I'm going to be using Kor'Sarro, chucking a massive axe on him (the one from the Sanguinary Guard, otherwise known as the Black Cleaver), and, he'll be used as Kor'Sarro or Sicarius. Kor'Sarro is the base-model. His name shall be Olaf, and his symbol shall be the Lightning Bolt. He shall jungle and Outflank*.
    Unfortunately, the pose is all wrong for me to magnetise a Jump Pack to him and use him as Astorath as well.

In other, other news. I have a camera now. Pics up when I have them.

*No, I'm fully serious. Prince Jarvan, Examplar as The Sanguinor, Exemplar. Garen, Captain of the Vanguard (first company). These LoL references really do write themselves.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll give all of your suggestions a try.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

20. - Top - End - #140

When I did the inscriptions on my Grey Knights I mixed up some thinned black with some flow improver added in- this make the paint thin enough to easily paint with a brush. I used one of my sable brushes that had a very well defined tip and used that.
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Specifically, this post is aimed at Australians.
    What kind of dremmel do you use? Also, how much did it cost? Tools, like a few other things, are one of those 'get what you pay for' kind of objects.
    I've got a 'Dremel Stylus' - it's a cordless model so it doesn't attach to things like the router frame or drill press module, but it still accepts all the bits. I went cordless as it's a lot simpler to use with minis and I don't have to keep unplugging and re-plugging everywhere.

Most Dremels will run you around $100 at Bunnings (mine was $99), but for 40k purposes you'll need to get some other bits and bobs, so it'll be closer to a $200 outlay at first.

First up is you'll need a pack of cut-off wheels, as the basic kit the tool comes with doesn't have any; a small collet (the part that grips the bit), as you only get large ones so you won't grip the tiny drill bits you'll likely be using for pinning and possibly even the chuck attachment.

If you don't have it already get some safety gear, eye protection and respirator - I also wear gloves. The plastic and metal in kits and Forge World's resin are non-toxic, but it's still not good to be breating in regardless.

More Phantom:

Just need to ink the armour recesses and finish her base (plus the inevitable touchups)
    Last edited by Zorg; 2011-05-10 at 12:21 PM.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    More Phantom:

That's AWESOME!!!!
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    I've got a 'Dremel Stylus' - it's a cordless model so it doesn't attach to things like the router frame or drill press module, but it still accepts all the bits. I went cordless as it's a lot simpler to use with minis and I don't have to keep unplugging and re-plugging everywhere.

Most Dremels will run you around $100 at Bunnings (mine was $99), but for 40k purposes you'll need to get some other bits and bobs, so it'll be closer to a $200 outlay at first.

First up is you'll need a pack of cut-off wheels, as the basic kit the tool comes with doesn't have any; a small collet (the part that grips the bit), as you only get large ones so you won't grip the tiny drill bits you'll likely be using for pinning and possibly even the chuck attachment.

If you don't have it already get some safety gear, eye protection and respirator - I also wear gloves. The plastic and metal in kits and Forge World's resin are non-toxic, but it's still not good to be breating in regardless.
    <3 Bunnings. It's almost like a trip to GW given the amount of cool stuff I can buy.

Thanks for the help Zorg.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

w00t! More minis done. All Legion.
    Scather and Crew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spawning Vessel Acolyths:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hex Hunters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lylyth:
    Spoiler
    Show

Seraph:
    Spoiler
    Show

Carnivean:
    Spoiler
    Show

I was really limited on posing options, here. I could only get the arms to stay on like this.

Next up: Bayal, Angelius, and the rest of this Hex Hunter unit.

EDIT: Also, I like P3's Radiant Platinum WAY better than Citadel's Mithril silver.
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2011-05-10 at 06:00 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145

So, I've gotten that Terminator I posted earlier done, I'll post the few pics I took of it after I flocked and lighted the base, but I'll also provide a link to the gallery that has a 360 view of him, but just not the base.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Zorg, I think you posted it before, with all those charts and links for Citadel paints, but...

Quick question (directed at the thread in general):

What base color would be best for making Asurmen Blue? Necron Abyss or Regal Blue?

27. - Top - End - #147

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    Zorg, I think you posted it before, with all those charts and links for Citadel paints, but...

Quick question (directed at the thread in general):

What base color would be best for making Asurmen Blue? Necron Abyss or Regal Blue?
    Making Asurman Blue? Well, really, the best way to get Asurman Blue is to just buy some, but Regal Blue watered down to a wash consistency (that would be about 3:1 water to paint, by my approximation) would be the best, because foundation paints aren't that great for washing; they're too opaque. Plus, Necron Abyss has a bit of an indigo tint to it, whereas Asurman Blue and Regal Blue are both... well... blue.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post
    Making Asurman Blue? Well, really, the best way to get Asurman Blue is to just buy some, but Regal Blue watered down to a wash consistency (that would be about 3:1 water to paint, by my approximation) would be the best, because foundation paints aren't that great for washing; they're too opaque. Plus, Necron Abyss has a bit of an indigo tint to it, whereas Asurman Blue and Regal Blue are both... well... blue.
    Yeah, I realize that the best solution would be to go buy some, but I'm in a pinch, and by the time I get to the gaming store, it'll be closed. So, Regal Blue, eh? I'll give it a shot.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    w00t! More minis done. All Legion.
    Scather and Crew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Spawning Vessel Acolyths:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hex Hunters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lylyth:
    Spoiler
    Show

Seraph:
    Spoiler
    Show

Carnivean:
    Spoiler
    Show

I was really limited on posing options, here. I could only get the arms to stay on like this.
    Next up: Bayal, Angelius, and the rest of this Hex Hunter unit.

EDIT: Also, I like P3's Radiant Platinum WAY better than Citadel's Mithril silver.
    some of your stuff looks quite flat, especially the dark blue coats, maby try to use layering, or extreme highlights.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

30. - Top - End - #150

@dsmiles: What are you using to get the snow layered that high? My normal baking soda/salt mixture doesn't layer that high and still look fluffy.
    I play: