New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony VII: The Grand Galloping Thread

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    So this is sort of random and kind of a crossover, but here we go. I just finished catching up on HBO's Game of Thrones with some friends of mine (who would most likely judge me harshly if I were ever to mention MLP), and the little girl who plays with swords and is a huge tomboy reminded me of Rainbow Dash SO MUCH. It was all I could do not to burst out with this observation.

Ok, there, I said it, now I won't have to worry about it spilling out randomly when I talk to these non-brony folks later. Just forget I said it if you dislike me sullying the pony thread with outside things. /fluttershy
    Wait, little girl who plays with swords? Anya? Rainbow Dash as Anya?

WRITE THIS FANFIC NOW!

(I only read the books, but from what I can tell, the series on HBO follows the books faithfully.)

2. - Top - End - #962
    Troll in the Playground

Yes! Anya is the name (sorry, I watched five in a row and some of it blurred together). Also, a Game of Thrones fanfic...? *heart skips several beats* That might be the most intimidating thing I have ever contemplated.

Also now that I think of it, Scootaloo might be the more appropriate choice age-wise, but still, you get the drift.
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2011-05-15 at 11:20 PM.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes! Anya is the name (sorry, I watched five in a row and some of it blurred together). Also, a Game of Thrones fanfic...? *heart skips several beats* That might be the most intimidating thing I have ever contemplated.

Also now that I think of it, Scootaloo might be the more appropriate choice age-wise, but still, you get the drift.
    The setting might be a tad too grimdark to properly ponify though. Nearly every character George RR Martin created in TSoIaF are selfish, backstabbing bastards.

If anything, the mane cast will have to be exclusively the Stark family for it to even resemble their MLP counterparts.

Just thoughts,

Sansa=Rarity
    Anya=Rainbow Dash
    Robb=Twilight(?) <-- doesn't fit.
    Bran=Applejack
    Jon Snow=Fluttershy(?)
    Alliser Thorne=Pinkie Pie

EDIT: Need more happiness. Have a Twilight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Grif; 2011-05-15 at 11:55 PM.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Banned

So this is sort of random and kind of a crossover, but here we go. I just finished catching up on HBO's Game of Thrones with some friends of mine (who would most likely judge me harshly if I were ever to mention MLP), and the little girl who plays with swords and is a huge tomboy reminded me of Rainbow Dash SO MUCH. It was all I could do not to burst out with this observation.

Ok, there, I said it, now I won't have to worry about it spilling out randomly when I talk to these non-brony folks later. Just forget I said it if you dislike me sullying the pony thread with outside things. /fluttershy
    Aria Stark, youngest daughter of Winterfell, trained as a Water Dancer. I can sort of see it, but she only reflects RD's bad side.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    The setting might be a tad too grimdark to properly ponify though.
    These are my thoughts exactly. I like the game of thrones, but taking a world where the Only way to win and save everyone's soul is by sundering everything you've fought for and helped dear, commit murder and treason, and erupt in civil war by bringing back a family of incestuous inbred tyrants, and then populating it with ponies...

Oh gracious I want to cry just thinking about it.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Troll in the Playground

Hm. Most of the ponies are kinda jerky and self important. Then again, a lot of the time, it's that they're excited about something and a member of the main cast is in their way, or there's a reasonable explanation for the jerkiness. Not an excuse for how it happens to be expressed, but reasonable nonetheless.

Examples:
    1) Who gets the spare gala ticket? Oooh, she's not saying SO IT MUST STILL BE UP IN THE AIR! Must curry her favor as fast as possible!
    2) Hey, where's that supermodel? Huh? No, I don't want to buy a dress, I'M LOOKING FOR THE SUPERMODEL. Pushy, much?
    3) Hey, they're ruining our party that we looked forward to all year! If you want that kind of party, have your own gala!
    4) Hey, I came all the way out here to Ponyville to see a fashion show and these dresses are HIDEOUS.
    5) Hey, that pony just undid all of our snow plowing! With magic! Didn't anypony tell her we don't use magic around here?
    6) Oh my Celestia, that pony's falling! Oh, the Wonderbolts will handle it. Better stay here. I'd just get in there w- OH MY CELESTIA THE WONDERBOLTS ARE FALLING! I'LL NEVER MAKE IT IN TIME!
    7) Ugh, this blue pegasus keeps making faces at us. Oh well. They pay me to be stoic, so STOIC I SHALL BE.

Those are the main examples that occur to me of ponies being somewhat jerky.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

6. - Top - End - #966
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    7) Ugh, this blue pegasus keeps making faces at us. Oh well. They pay me to be stoic, so STOIC I SHALL BE.
    "Mr. Guardalopolis, thanks for taking the time to attend your performance review."
    >: ( "Yes, sir. Just doing my duty, sir."
    "Now, you've got some excellent marks for Stoicism from a variety of sources..."
    >: (
    "But I'm afraid I've got a report here saying you broke character and laughed during the phoenix incident..."
    >: ( "Sir, I protest!"
    "I'm sorry, Guardalopolis. In every other way, you have done excellently, but we pay you to be stoic - and be stoic alone. You had one episode and you weren't even able to be stoic to the end. I'm going to have to cut your pay."
    >: ( "Sir! I won't be able to pay my motgage!"
    "Sorry, Guardalopolis. My hooves are tied."
    >:'(
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-05-16 at 12:07 AM.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "Mr. Guardalopolis, thanks for taking the time to attend your performance review."
    >: ( "Yes, sir. Just doing my duty, sir."
    "Now, you've got some excellent marks for Stoicism from a variety of sources..."
    >: (
    "But I'm afraid I've got a report here saying you broke character and laughed during the phoenix incident..."
    >: ( "Sir, I protest!"
    "I'm sorry, Guardalopolis. In every other way, you have done excellently, but we pay you to be stoic - and be stoic alone. You had one episode and you weren't even able to be stoic to the end. I'm going to have to cut your pay."
    >: ( "Sir! I won't be able to pay my motgage!"
    "Sorry, Guardalopolis. My hooves are tied."
    >:'(
    And then, he broke down crying. This resulted in his immediate termination.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

8. - Top - End - #968

When he was carrying his box of personal goods out of the office - containing a mousepad, a shipfic he was writing about Rarity/Luna and a coffee cup with the image ">: (" on it, Guardalopolis crashed into Spitfire who was going in for her "Rescuing Falling Ponies 508" retraining course.

After a confused and awkward exchange and departure, Guardalopolis discovered that she had written her phone number on page 37.

And so a beautiful friendship began.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Troll in the Playground

When he was carrying his box of personal goods out of the office - containing a mousepad, a shipfic he was writing about Rarity/Luna and a coffee cup with the image ">: (" on it, Guardalopolis crashed into Spitfire who was going in for her "Rescuing Falling Ponies 508" retraining course.

After a confused and awkward exchange and departure, Guardalopolis discovered that she had written her phone number on page 37.

Ah yes, Catching Falling Ponies 508. If she succeeds in her graduate studies, she'll be able to publish her thesis in the Journal of Catching Falling Ponies Studies, or the less prestigious Journal of Catching Ponies Descending Rapidly.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-05-16 at 12:26 AM.

10. - Top - End - #970

Ah yes, Catching Falling 508. If she succeeds in her graduate studies, she'll be able to publish her thesis in the Journal of Catching Falling Ponies Studies, or the less prestigious Journal of Catching Ponies Descending Rapidly.
    Unfortunately, that mean old Professor Skystomp has had it in for Spitfire ever since the Grand Galloping Gala - he blames her for inviting Rainbow Dash in and letting her destroy his masterpiece sculpture of Celestia - and he's going to do everything he can to make sure she fails the course!

Seorin' keeps telling her she should appeal, but Spitfire's insistant that she can beat Skystomp at his own game!

11. - Top - End - #971
    Troll in the Playground

Ah yes, Catching Falling Ponies 508. If she succeeds in her graduate studies, she'll be able to publish her thesis in the Journal of Catching Falling Ponies Studies, or the less prestigious Journal of Catching Ponies Descending Rapidly.
    Ah, but prestige comes with risk. I hear that J. Cat. Fal. Pon. retracts almost half its articles in subsequent issues. They push so hard for innovation in the field of rescue that sometimes they only report data artifacts...
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2011-05-16 at 12:30 AM.

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #972
    Banned

what? No! You're the guy who always makes things better! Don't do this to me, Bobcat!

I suppose this will work as a stop-gap, though.
    Aw, now I want a story about Guardalopolis. Hm...

13. - Top - End - #973
    Ogre in the Playground

This page now contains both my two favorite ships, and some awesome art by Trixie. Best thread page ever!

On an unrelated note, I was thinking about several things, including the ponymorph of Trigun from an earlier thread/page, and an almost fully-formed ponyfication of Sweeney Todd (of all things) leapt to mind.

Spoiler
    Show

Sweeney: Rainbow Dash (in flashbacks looking rainbowy, in the present scenes her mane is all washed out and mostly shades of gray)
    Mrs. Lovett: Crazy straight-haired Pinky
    Lucy: Rarity
    Joanna: Fluttershy
    Antony: Twilight Sparkle
    Toby: Scootaloo
    Senor Pirrelli: Trixie
    The Beadle: Snips
    Judge Turpin: Gilda? Iron Hoof Celestia? (this one is harder than I'd expected)

Thoughts?
    I'd probably put Pinky as Sweeney. She's got both the happy character and the insane character thing going for her. Early Sweeney can be normal Pinky, Sweeney after he returns can be Srs Pinky, and Sweeney after A Little Priest can be crazy Pinky.

I'd vote for making Mrs Lovette Applejack. Somehow seems more appropriate, and if you use overworked AJ you could still get the semi-crazy thing going.

With Applejack as Mrs Lovette Apple Bloom would probably be better for Toby. Apple Bloom's also tried her hand at the baked goods sales assistant, so she just fits better anyway.

And then I'd probably cast Rainbow Dash as the Judge. Obsessed with winning? Prepared to go to any lengths to take out the competition? Sounds like Rainbow Dash.

The rest of the characters look pretty well cast. Especially Trixie. Couldn't think of a better pony for Pirelli.

Edit:
    73? The horror!
    Last edited by Kyouhen; 2011-05-16 at 12:36 AM.

14. - Top - End - #974

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I suppose this will work as a stop-gap, though.
    Aw, now I want a story about Guardalopolis. Hm...
    And now I want to write a story about Guardalopolis. You still good for that offer of comic'ing if I come up with a storyboard?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    I'd probably put Pinky as Sweeney. She's got both the happy character and the insane character thing going for her. Early Sweeney can be normal Pinky, Sweeney after he returns can be Srs Pinky, and Sweeney after A Little Priest can be crazy Pinky.
    I did an adaptation of the "My Friends" song like 4 threads back. I tried to do "The Contest" but it was a hard adaptation because it's got a lot of wordplay that's hard to easily ponify. Something that's doable, though, if one was prepared to put the effort in.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Troll in the Playground

^@ Kyouhen Well, I think I liked Pinky as Mrs. Lovett because both work as bakers (although I guess technically AJ does make more pies), and because at the time I was contemplating this, it was sort of an extension of the thoughts: "Does grimdark even work at all with MLP?" and "How could I think of something sort of grimdark that wouldn't turn my stomach quite like 'Cupcakes'?" Then the whole Sweeney Todd thing dawned on me, so in that context I think Pinky is the more appropriate Mrs. Lovett.

Also, Scootaloo seems like a good Toby just because she's more of a tough kid character than Apple Bloom.

You do make a relevant point about RD though... *ponders*

EDIT: Oh, I also think I chose RD for Sweeney because she seems like she might be the most ready to resort to taking physical revenge, but that could just be the tomboy thing. I dunno.

EDIT EDIT: @Thanqol: That is awesome! I need to find that thread.
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2011-05-16 at 12:46 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #976
    Troll in the Playground

Question: How much fanon is out there about the glorious Dr. Whooves? Thinking of perhaps trying my hand at some fiction starring him.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

17. - Top - End - #977

EDIT EDIT: @Thanqol: That is awesome! I need to find that thread.
    If you need search terms, I remember using the line "You'll soon drip precious rainbows..."

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey Thanqol. If you get some time at some point this week, I'd appreciate a chance to chat with you. I am having a major crisis of FlutterDash proportions, and would highly value your input on the subject.

Or anypony else who would like to help, I suppose. I just really need somepony to talk this out with.

19. - Top - End - #979

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Hey Thanqol. If you get some time at some point this week, I'd appreciate a chance to chat with you. I am having a major crisis of FlutterDash proportions, and would highly value your input on the subject.

Or anypony else who would like to help, I suppose. I just really need somepony to talk this out with.
    Absolutely! I'll be home in one hour or less today, but tomorrow I'm out from 9-5. Wednesday and beyond I should be on from my noon at the latest (for reference, canberra is GMT+10 and it's 4pm here now).

If that's incompatible with your schedule, email or PM me. I'll respond as fast as I can.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh, I also think I chose RD for Sweeney because she seems like she might be the most ready to resort to taking physical revenge, but that could just be the tomboy thing. I dunno.
    I can't really see Dash taking "revenge" per se. She lacks that level of coldness, as well as any sort of patience at all. There's no way she'd sit down and scheme. Were she in Todd's situation, she'd probably just fly directly to Turpin's house and kick him in the face.

In my opinion, the "Pony Most Likely to Plot Revenge" award goes to Rarity. As we saw with Blueblood, she's quite capable of appearing outwardly polite while hostility simmers beneath the surface. Additionally, she tends to hold up well under pressure: Her only breakdown on the show was after the crisis had passed and the worst case had come to fruition, while everyone else (except AJ) has merely assumed the worst and choked mid-problem.

Twilight could also potentially pull it off, except that she'd have no idea how to harm her opponent. If you ever suspect Twilight is out for revenge, just ask the local library who's checked out How to Avenge Past Wrongs, and you'll track her down in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    I can't really see Dash taking "revenge" per se. She lacks that level of coldness, as well as any sort of patience at all. There's no way she'd sit down and scheme. Were she in Todd's situation, she'd probably just fly directly to Turpin's house and kick him in the face.

*snip*
    Ok, I see your point. I may have been equating "physical violence" with "revenge", and RD has show a pretty high propensity for kicks to the face...
    I definitely see the previous point about her personality working for Judge Turpin though. The problem is that since I like Pinky for Mrs. Lovett still, I would have to find a new Sweeney if I changed roles. I do agree that Rarity might work in terms of revenge (angry Rarity is scary), but I guess I just see her more easily as the pretty-girl love interest and symbol of happier times.

EDIT: Also, now that I think some more, Sweeney seemed pretty impatient to get his revenge until Mrs. Lovett talked him down...so I'm stumped.
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2011-05-16 at 01:20 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #982
    Troll in the Playground

what? No! You're the guy who always makes things better! Don't do this to me, Bobcat!

I can do dark humor. I'm allowed.

Also, Thanqol, when you said, "Professor Skystomp," I immediately thought...
    "WERNSTROM!"

23. - Top - End - #983

Absolutely! I'll be home in one hour or less today, but tomorrow I'm out from 9-5. Wednesday and beyond I should be on from my noon at the latest (for reference, canberra is GMT+10 and it's 4pm here now).

If that's incompatible with your schedule, email or PM me. I'll respond as fast as I can.
    Blast, managed to halve my usual travel time - through the application of running and despite a major traffic problem - and still too late. Sorry Phoe

And now I'm going to stew all evening about what it is I failed to help with. Blast.

I can do dark humor. I'm allowed.

Also, Thanqol, when you said, "Professor Skystomp," I immediately thought...
    "WERNSTROM!"
    Yes!
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-05-16 at 01:42 AM.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Ettin in the Playground

So, Chapter 5 of FFF has been submitted to Equestria Daily.

Y'know, I'm glad everypony seems to like it so far. After as many rewrites and false starts as that thing had, I'm just glad it's DONE. I can't stand to think about it anymore. So I'll post it whenever Seth puts it up there.
    Just read the latest chapter. Awesome as always.

(I didn't spoiler myself before hand, so its so much better).

25. - Top - End - #985
    Troll in the Playground

Just read the latest chapter. Awesome as always.

(I didn't spoiler myself before hand, so its so much better).
    Thanks. That means a lot to me.

Oooooh, that's how you read it. I wasn't expecting an update until the morning.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/0...er-friend.html Here's a link! ... and Seth forgot to change the (update chapter x) again. Ah well.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-05-16 at 02:44 AM.

26. - Top - End - #986
    Troll in the Playground

Hmmm, I DO have a story idea starring Dr. Whooves now, supported by a few other characters. Might have to write this tomorrow or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Twilight could also potentially pull it off, except that she'd have no idea how to harm her opponent. If you ever suspect Twilight is out for revenge, just ask the local library who's checked out How to Avenge Past Wrongs, and you'll track her down in a second.
    She OWNS the library. xD

Hmm, Yandere fluttershy. Suits me.
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2011-05-16 at 04:36 AM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Banned

EDIT: I am tentatively able to use MSN messaging. I say tentative because the interface is just so frustratingly counter-intuitive. With luck, all kinks will be worked out soon. I have chosen test friends (gracious that sounds insulting, I'm sorry) and will use them to study this program. Also for building rapport with my friends. Ok, mostly rapport.

Went back because there was something I wanted to comment on from around page 18. I found a couple things I quoted but didn't actually respond too. So I'll play catch-up now.

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    As an aside, you can spell my name kpenguin or Kpenguin, but never KPenguin. KPenguin just looks off to me. I've also been called kpen, kpeng, penguin, kippy, kipster, kip, and "that penguin guy"
    Sorry mate. I'll probably keep it to all lowercase, unless my phone decides it already recognizes you as a proper noun.

I think I arrived to the party late (I've seen references before, but I'm not sure what it's from). *Who exactly is Midnight?
    Midnight is the daughter of Trixie and Twilight Sparkle and technically Luna, via a gender bend Twilight used while experimenting. Luna was involved tangentially, but since it's a magic union she may well actually be a 'genetic' contributor via sympathetic magic.

She is also so close to canon fanon that people all over have decided on her as their gateway, using an established character but for their own ends.

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    Don't think it'd be likely, but seeing other creatures of myth become reoccurring characters would be cool. Maybe a hippogriff could teach Gilda to get along with ponies if she ever shows up again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Forgot to mention at the time, but that is awesome. I think I might Ben remember the artist. Not worth wading through DA for, though. Here's hoping there's hippogrifs!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    I love you all, but that was, ah, wierd, man. Y'all crazy.

[edit] I am forever trying to go back into posts and add pony emoticons. I'm not good at emoticons. Half the time I decide not to add them after all. Is this the proper emoticon for "I love you, but you're nuts"?

I hope so. I'm not going to go try again.
    Yes. Yes it is.

The Internet will never forget.

The Internet will never forgive.

AND I AM TOTALLY SANE.

Behold
    This was entertaining, but I can't hear most of it. I will try and find my earphones and see if that helps though.

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    SiuiS, I did create something like that. *It is not finished (Way too many tropes to quirkify ). I'll drop what I have in homebrew when I get home.

It's a level based, no "Attributes" kinda, skill based, roll 1-6 d6s over number-type system with a advantage/disadvantage system.
    Do you remember what thread we were on when you first said something? I remember you putting up a bunch of spoilers (i think, I may be horribly mistaken) and the general concept was sound. Thought I'd made a record of it, but alas! I did not.

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    And just where they got all these resources? It looked like the whole budget of several cities went into this, seeing all these fireworks, all extremely good looking ponies whose only job was to greet or entertain guests (and they were all extremely skilled professionals to boot, witness Octavia's dexterity being on par with human hands), and all attractions, including free buffet making normal food look putrid by comparison.

Well... All these ponies are actually rather poor. Lives they live could have been afforded by lower class, the only thing we see even approaching luxury is a spa, and only Rarity visits it with any frequency. Someone who in real life would have been order of magnitude wealthier. Witness - Rarity always dreamt of living in Canterlot, yet, she, the pretty much wealthiest pony in the village can't afford it for either financial or social reasons.*

Life in Ponyville resembles that in a serf village, they try to be happy, but seeing the comforts they have and the comforts that exist in Canterlot it's obvious Ponyville is second grade area. Twilight, someone rather poor (middle class at best) reacted with almost revulsion at her first visit, and I don't think she is snobbish at the least.

Nobles have say? Well, having access to all that money (look just how AJ pictured her profits from the Gala - it was literal mountain of money, and it came from throwaway funds of these ponies) gives you enormous sway in almost any system.

Duty to the betters? Erm... Every time Celestia visits, everypony throws what they are doing and decorates the city, no expenses spared. I don't see New York decorated every time PotUS visits, do you?

Throwaway gag? She always walks like that. Same with the building they live in, the Apples barely scrape enough to live, they can't afford any medical or repair funds, that doesn't sound like 'carefree' to me at all... While Twilight's parent's (or maybe Celestia) can afford to let Twilight have enormous tower in Canterlot all to herself, as there was only one bed in it. This speaks volumes about disparity between capital and surrounding cities, something that in history happened when nobles siphoned all the resources from their lands and thrown them to better their life in fashionable cities

But it would have backfired, if so. Noble's profits aren't the work of their hands or minds, they are drawn from their belongings. Which usually means lands and industries common ponies toil in. So, even if it was a tax, used to support middle class, it would have been very regressive, as it would target lowest classes, really.

Second, using the Gala for it strikes me as rather poor idea. A lot of money spent here was burned, quite literally, in case of fireworks, but all that fancy food and decorations were useless once it ended. So, a bit of money made it into economy, maybe to these middle class workshops providing the services and goods, but most of it ended as ash and dung. Nah, that's would be like trying to collect water with a bucket with several holes.
    The entirety of my position is;

Nobles 'tax' underlings.
    Nobles throw parties to show how cool they are.
    Workers get extravagant pay for setting up parties.
    "serfs" get extravagant pay for materials to set up parties with.
    "Serfs" live idyllic lives, paying a sum to the "nobles" as "tax".
    Cycle repeats.

Given that the ponystocracy doesn't do anything except be the ponytocracy, I can't even view them as a separate social class. And given that many well-off IRL nobles were a huge web of debt and favor, it's entirely possible that ABSOLUTELY NONE of the nobles in Equestria are any wealthier (in liquid assets) than the "serfs". Every noble borrows and begs, seals and deals to have enough money not to look poor in front of the other nobles. That's how political intrigue works on the small scale.

In the end, the only difference between a noble household full of servants and a huge apartment complex is that the noble household doesn't realize they are really an apartment complex.
    You don't have to agree; I just want to make sure you understand my position before saying it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmyst View Post
    I like playing with name meanings. It's just annoying when what you're named doesn't quite reflect what you are. I've got "Stone" and "Pilgrim" to work with, the latter is fundamentally unsuitable for anything I value or associate with
    Pilgrim has connotations which aren't religious, and which don't involve displacing and murdering an indigenous population.
    Pilgrims are similar to frontiersman and pioneers, gypsies ramblers and rovers. You could work with that. My family, for example, has a very strong gypsy tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eh? Care to point out where I said it's not a flaw? He might behave like this because it is expected from him, or because it's the only way of behaving he knows, I don't know, but both possibilities are more interesting than one-dimensional rude pony.

Plus, Rarity behaved pretty similar in demanding situations - remember her fawning to Twilight in Ep 1 or how she was disgusted of getting her hooves dirty in LBYS? How is that different? Yes, she is more sociable because she lives in small city and doesn't have title to fall on, but I can see her just as snobbish had she been born in Canterlot.
    Maybe. I am 80% sure however, that he was designed as a throwaway character, and you are looking for depth that isn't there. Whin just means we are arguing different things, and that's cool. I don't mind plumbing the depths of what blueblood could have been, I just thought ou were insisting it was canon. I have no idea why I thought that though. Fatigue maybe.

Spoiler
    Show
    Eh, I think it's just cultural difference here. You guys react much more strongly, perhaps because you don't have as much direct contact with Old World's customs and etiquette (that is pretty stupid sometimes, yes).

But... Aren't you doing exactly the same? I mean, most bronies say they would buy MLP clothes if they don't scream they are MLP, if they are discreet. Why? Clothes are clothes. Men won't wear pink - why? Colour is colour. Etc. Blueblood won't be seen eating common food - and you guys declare him evil without learning reasons first. What if he is Celestia's main negotiator with noble houses, and others seeing him with common food would damage his standing during important negotiations? :P
    I want to point out that I do, on occasion, wear pink. I'd do so more if I had a tailor who was affordable.
    Pink was originally a boyish color, because it was associated with red. High heels were originally manly, and used to show off one's calves (and thus, dueling skill). I'm pretty lax on gender identification through objects. I'm pretty mellow on a lot of similar, lateral subjects.

As for MLP clothes, I am rather self centered. I dress up, groom, and look pretty for myself. I would enjoy looking down and seeing a Luna straddling my chest. But it's not as a billboard, it's entirely for me.

And finally, I don't think we were just doing the same thing, bu now my thought train derailed. Horsefeathers.

Spoiler
    Show

I also wonder if Applejack picked a poor venue for an apple cart. I mean, it's a party. *Presumably with FREE food provided. *
    Yeah, that weren't too bright. I honk she was banking on the quality of her goods.

Which of course, wouldn't have a reputation outside of her immediate business district. Poor AJ.

And now I want to write a story about Guardalopolis. You still good for that offer of comic'ing if I come up with a storyboard?
    I'm in if you are. Just be forewarned, going from pencils to digital may take anywhere from weeks to aeons if we don't use third party services. But I'll consider it incentive to get a desktop, a scanner, and in-house net access.

Blast, managed to halve my usual travel time - through the application of running and despite a major traffic problem - and still too late. Sorry Phoe

And now I'm going to stew all evening about what it is I failed to help with. Blast.
    My condolences mate. I know how much that sucks...
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-05-16 at 06:10 AM.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Starcraft Fluttershy. HNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG-

My day is complete.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Starcraft Fluttershy. HNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG-

My day is complete.
    So. Brilliant . And Angel makes such a good little zergling.

Pilgrim has connotations which aren't religious, and which don't involve displacing and murdering an indigenous population. Pilgrims are similar to frontiersman and pioneers, gypsies ramblers and rovers. You could work with that. My family, for example, has a very strong gypsy tradition.
    Assistance appreciated, but it was the secular aspect of the word to which I was referring. The concepts of trailblazing, exploration, moving from ones comfort zone, et. al. are anathema to me; one is much more fond of indulging in the comfort and stability of the known world. That I'm not particularly religious either is just icing on the cake.

Sympathies sir, missing deadlines is painful. That said, given that the original request was for you to get in contact with Phoe some time this week, it probably wasn't so urgent that you won't have the opportunity to assist later :).
    Last edited by Darkmyst; 2011-05-16 at 09:49 AM.