New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Using Cantrips to break the game more

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRick View Post
    Prestididgation can't cause harm. 60 degrees celsius is enough to burn (or start breaking proteins or whatever). Therefore, you cannot make anything hotter than say mid 50c with it.

(approx 130 fahrenheit is the maximum)
    You can as long as it's not harming something that the arcane forces of the universe recognize as a creature. For example, you can probably grill a steak with it just fine.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benly View Post
    You can as long as it's not harming something that the arcane forces of the universe recognize as a creature. For example, you can probably grill a steak with it just fine.
    Or that it causes something that the arcane forces of the universe recognises as an attack roll.

Last edited by HalfDragonCube; 2011-06-20 at 06:53 AM.
    Normal avatar by Qwernt, ponytar by Akrim.elf and squishydoll by Recaiden. Thanks guys!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

I seem to remember the way the Launch Bolt spell worked was by grabbing Eschew Materials.

Since the crossbow bolt is actually both focus and material component...
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I seem to remember the way the Launch Bolt spell worked was by grabbing Eschew Materials.

Since the crossbow bolt is actually both focus and material component...
    So now the spell is pretty much a free crossbow.
    Normal avatar by Qwernt, ponytar by Akrim.elf and squishydoll by Recaiden. Thanks guys!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mage hand. Coronary. 'Nuff said.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amridell View Post
    Mage hand. Coronary. 'Nuff said.
    Need LoS for that, or at very least LoE.

Also, I'm pretty sure there's a line in one of the core books that specifically disallows this kind of thing.

Good thought, though.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97

OldWizardGuy

Hey, it's not a cantrip, but would magic missile count individually on fell drain? An arcane thesis, easy metamagic fell drain on that would be....ridiculous if it dealt individual negative levels, that scales.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Sadly, no. Magic Missle is a volley attack, which only counts effects once. (Otherwise, it'd be broken with Sneak Attack, too!)
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey McBannert View Post
    Sadly, no. Magic Missle is a volley attack, which only counts effects once. (Otherwise, it'd be broken with Sneak Attack, too!)
    Magic Missile doesn't have an attack roll, so sneak attack damage can't apply, I had thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfDragonCube View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ubergeek63 View Post
    that depends on the fighter's gender ;)
    Eww... Just stick an immovable rod in the bag of holding and call it a day.

Immovable rods: the solution to any problem. Such as need to discipline fighters. And anyone else.
    Miko already had one stuck in, but it just turned her into Miko the Fighter-without-bonus-feats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #101

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Magic Missile doesn't have an attack roll, so sneak attack damage can't apply, I had thought.
    Agreed, sneak attack has to be made with an attack roll. My question though is in the fact that you can target five different people with magic missile, creating five targets for fell drain and 5 negative levels. if they dont stack on to one character, then that makes no sense. where do they go if they dont?

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elrihm View Post
    Agreed, sneak attack has to be made with an attack roll. My question though is in the fact that you can target five different people with magic missile, creating five targets for fell drain and 5 negative levels. if they dont stack on to one character, then that makes no sense. where do they go if they dont?
    Yes, this is what happens.

13. - Top - End - #103

OldWizardGuy

Do you mean yes, the negative levels stack, or yes they dont stack?

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

They do not stack on a single target, but you can spread them out.

It's the wording of Fell Drain that does it.

Sort of like how Duskblades can't channel a touch spell into the same target more than once on a full attack.

15. - Top - End - #105

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elrihm View Post
    Hey, it's not a cantrip, but would magic missile count individually on fell drain? An arcane thesis, easy metamagic fell drain on that would be....ridiculous if it dealt individual negative levels, that scales.
    The most optimized you can get on Magic Missile + Fell Drain is awarding negative levels to multiple targets. The way Fell Drain is worded, only the first instance of a spell causing damage causes level drain. Still, 1 negative level for five enemies from a level 2 spell slot isn't bad.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

On the subject of prestidigitation, even if you could collapse 1lb of material into a black hole, it still wouldn't exert any more of a gravitational pull than 1lb of material would. You could also move it around as 1lb of material.

At best it would make an extremely dense and practically unstoppable/immovable yet utterlynanoscopic particle. It would have less of an effect than running someone through with a single carbon nanotube. The target wouldn't even feel it.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RCgothic View Post
    On the subject of prestidigitation, even if you could collapse 1lb of material into a black hole, it still wouldn't exert any more of a gravitational pull than 1lb of material would. You could also move it around as 1lb of material.

At best it would make an extremely dense and practically unstoppable/immovable yet utterlynanoscopic particle. It would have less of an effect than running someone through with a single carbon nanotube. The target wouldn't even feel it.
    If you held it in someone it would eventually suck them up.
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

So, miniature Sphere of Annihilation?
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

19. - Top - End - #109

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Debatable. The Schwarzschild radius of a 1-pound mass would be tiny, so it'd take a long time to do any relevant damage, and as soon as the sustaining spell ended, it would dissipate almost instantaneously.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Nope- sorry. Gravity increases inverse to the square of distance. Fortunately for us, very few things are point masses. Everything behaves like a black hole gravitationally- provided you're outside the volume. (If our sun mysteriously collapsed into a black hole, there wouldn't by any gravitational difference to the planets.) Black holes act like point masses, though. You can get closer and closer and closer, and every time you halve the distance, you get four times the gravitational pull.

Back to the one-pound mass. Outside of the volume of the mass, there's no difference. Go half way to the center, it pulls as much as a four pound mass would if you were at the surface of the original volume. Half way again, 16 pounds… 64, 256, and so on. But say you were standing next to a very, very heavy weight- tons and tons. You still wouldn't notice the attraction. Now, if you shrank it down far enough, yes, almost infinitely close it could give you black hole effects I suppose. At worst, that sucks up some molecules, maybe a cell or two, I don't know. But that's just going to clear an empty space. (It would have to suck up a full pound of matter to even double its gravity, so you're not going to get a cool runaway matter-eating black hole that keeps growing.) Game-mechanics-wise, once somebody has to start rolling for damage, I think the spell runs into problems.

The other part of this is that (so far as I understand it) black holes aren't stable in the long run. For full-size black holes, it's a pretty long life cycle. I don't think a single-pound black hole would be able to make it, though.

I should note, of course, that this is all only to the best of my understanding. I'm not an expert, so it's based on science films, presentations, and the like that I've seen.
    Last edited by QuidEst; 2011-06-20 at 02:26 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gullintanni View Post
    The most optimized you can get on Magic Missile + Fell Drain is awarding negative levels to multiple targets. The way Fell Drain is worded, only the first instance of a spell causing damage causes level drain. Still, 1 negative level for five enemies from a level 2 spell slot isn't bad.
    Hmmm.... you wanna break the game with a cantrip fine:

Arcane thesis (acid splash)
    energy substitution (fire)
    Fell Drain

you can get a wand of lvl drain for 187GP+30XP (still a cantrip) if you have the create wand feat! Maybe less 30% as it has an alignment requirement!

Add Fell Animate and it becomes a 2nd lvl spell wand of create zombies!

22. - Top - End - #112

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ubergeek63 View Post
    Hmmm.... you wanna break the game with a cantrip fine:

Arcane thesis (acid splash)
    energy substitution (fire)
    Fell Drain

you can get a wand of lvl drain for 187GP+30XP (still a cantrip) if you have the create wand feat! Maybe less 30% as it has an alignment requirement!

Add Fell Animate and it becomes a 2nd lvl spell wand of create zombies!
    Why energy substitution (fire) if I can ask?

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zonugal View Post
    A better question would be "Why not use Sonic Snap/Easy Metamagic?" It doesn't require an attack roll, and costs a 0th level slot.

That trick happened on like... page 1, I think?
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

What about dropping a portable hole into a bag of holding. 10-ft radius gone. A remote controlled bomb?

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ClothedInVelvet View Post
    What about dropping a portable hole into a bag of holding. 10-ft radius gone. A remote controlled bomb?
    That's not really remote controlled... Nor is it a cantrip.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey McBannert View Post
    That's not really remote controlled... Nor is it a cantrip.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. Use Prestidigitation to drop a portable hole into a bag of holding. When you're not within 10', there's no reason not to (other than the money).

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ClothedInVelvet View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. Use Prestidigitation to drop a portable hole into a bag of holding. When you're not within 10', there's no reason not to (other than the money).
    Prestidigitation
    Universal
    Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: 10 ft.
    Target, Effect, or Area: See text
    Duration: 1 hour
    Saving Throw: See text
    Spell Resistance: No

I suppose you can drop the portable hole into the bag of holding from a height, but you might as well just skip the middleman altogether (read: use your bare hands) if you are going that route.
    Last edited by NNescio; 2011-06-20 at 10:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

28. - Top - End - #118

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Zonugal View Post
    Presumably for the -1 from Arcane Thesis.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuidEst View Post
    Nope- sorry. Gravity increases inverse to the square of distance. Fortunately for us, very few things are point masses. Everything behaves like a black hole gravitationally- provided you're outside the volume. (If our sun mysteriously collapsed into a black hole, there wouldn't by any gravitational difference to the planets.) Black holes act like point masses, though. You can get closer and closer and closer, and every time you halve the distance, you get four times the gravitational pull.

Back to the one-pound mass. Outside of the volume of the mass, there's no difference. Go half way to the center, it pulls as much as a four pound mass would if you were at the surface of the original volume. Half way again, 16 pounds… 64, 256, and so on. But say you were standing next to a very, very heavy weight- tons and tons. You still wouldn't notice the attraction. Now, if you shrank it down far enough, yes, almost infinitely close it could give you black hole effects I suppose. At worst, that sucks up some molecules, maybe a cell or two, I don't know. But that's just going to clear an empty space. (It would have to suck up a full pound of matter to even double its gravity, so you're not going to get a cool runaway matter-eating black hole that keeps growing.) Game-mechanics-wise, once somebody has to start rolling for damage, I think the spell runs into problems.
    You're just proving that it would take a very long time to suck the person up. With the spell keeping it completely contained, it couldn't get less massive. So it would only get more massive by random molecules bumping into it, but that's still a nondecreasing function, and not bounded above, so it goes to infinity...eventually. I don't think the PHB mentions the relation of mage hand to Hawking radiation, though...

30. - Top - End - #120

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    You're just proving that it would take a very long time to suck the person up. With the spell keeping it completely contained, it couldn't get less massive. So it would only get more massive by random molecules bumping into it, but that's still a nondecreasing function, and not bounded above, so it goes to infinity...eventually. I don't think the PHB mentions the relation of mage hand to Hawking radiation, though...
    If the spell has a mass limit, then what happens when the black hole exceeds that mass? And if it's a weight limit instead, then how does it interact with relativistic effects?