New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5e NPC PrC] The Bartender (PEACH)

The Bartender
    Information? Yeah, I might have something. You need to buy a drink first, though.
    -Jorg, Bartender

The world is full of taverns, inns, and pubs. And everyone knows that heading such an establishment is always the Bartender. He hears things and manages not to get hit from stray Fireballs, mostly. But he is there. This, my friend, is his story. Or his statblock.

Becoming a Bartender
    Well... it's a profession. Likely the joint has been owned by the family for generations. Less likely, though still possible, is that you founded the establishment yourself. Whatever the means, you have chosen that your life's calling is to evade rabid PCs while serving cooling beverages.

Entry Requirements
    Skills: Profession (Bartender) 6, Listen 2, Knowledge (Local) 1
    Special: Must tend a Bar, Inn, Tavern, or similar establishment.

Skill points at each level: 4 + Intelligence Modifier
    Class Skills: Craft, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Knowledge (Local), Profession, Listen, Spot, Sense motive

Hit Die: d8

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
    1st
    +0
    +2
    +2
    +0
    Uncanny Dodge
    2nd
    +1
    +3
    +3
    +0
    A Little Bird Told Me
    3rd
    +2
    +3
    +3
    +1
    Evasion
    4th
    +3
    +4
    +4
    +1
    Seen it All
    5th
    +3
    +4
    +4
    +1
    Indomitable

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Bartender is proficient with all simple weapons, one martial weapon of their choice, and has improvised weapon proficiency with bar implements such as mugs, bottles, and chairs.

Uncanny Dodge: Barfights can often come out of nowhere. One must be prepared for such occurrences. Dodging a beer mug that flew outta nowhere is standard fare for a Bartender. As the Rogue ability of the same name.

A Little Bird Told Me: At 2nd level, a Bartender gains the ability to know relevant information just as a Bard does. This ability functions exactly like Bardic Knowledge, save for the modifier to the check is the Twice the Bartender's Bartender Level plus his Wisdom modifier.

Evasion: Bars are home to PCs. PC parties are home to Wizards. Wizards like casting spells such as Fireball. Fireballs hurt. Getting out of the way is usually a good idea. As the Rogue ability of the same name.

Seen it All: After a few years in the business you get a bit jaded. After you've stared down a fifteenth level Minotaur Barbarian, not much scares you. You can no longer be Intimidated and gain a +4 bonus to all Sense Motive checks and saves against Fear Effects and Enchantment.

Indomitable: Bartenders are tough to kill. They gotta be, or they don't last long. Once per day, they can simply not die. When they would otherwise be reduced to -10 or below, they can (And really should) activate this ability to instead drop to -9 and be immediately stabilized. This ability can instead be used to automatically succeed on one save versus a Death Effect.

I heard someone wanted more NPC PrCs?
    Last edited by Welknair; 2014-05-04 at 07:48 PM.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5e NPC PrC] The Bartender (PEACH)

Really nice PrC, awesome. I'd lower the prerequisites a tiny bit and add Gather Information to the skill list.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Really nice PrC, awesome. I'd lower the prerequisites a tiny bit and add Gather Information to the skill list.
    Good call. Just realized how skill point intensive the requirements are. Changing it now.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Why do they have to own the bar? I've worked as a bartender a lot and I've not come close to owning one yet...

This also lacks the most powerful ability the bartender has; "So...what'll it be" the line that will end up with you hearing another life story...
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Pretty cool. I like it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Why do they have to own the bar? I've worked as a bartender a lot and I've not come close to owning one yet...

This also lacks the most powerful ability the bartender has; "So...what'll it be" the line that will end up with you hearing another life story...
    Changed it to "Must tend a..."

As for that... I can't decide if that should be a feature or simply the result of the other party consuming large quantities of alcohol. I try to keep the abilities to things that wouldn't usually be allowed by standard rules and I think that this would be. You don't have to be a Bartender to hear a drunk person going on about things that they really shouldn't be. Then again, there would be an amount of skill involved... But a Diplomacy check (Or perhaps Gather Information? Can that be used for questioning someone?) would likely cover it.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Maybe another couple of skill points wouldn't go astray? Most NPCs don't have particularly great Int, and you require 3 different skills to enter, and don't even have the social skills you'd expect (such as gather information, bluff, or diplomacy). He doesn't need all of them, but I'd expect at least a couple, especially out of a class that is so obviously skill oriented. I'd also consider making the A Little Bird Told me bonus twice your Bartender level, just so he might occasionally actually succeed at a knowledge check that the PCs interracting with him would care about.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Maybe another couple of skill points wouldn't go astray? Most NPCs don't have particularly great Int, and you require 3 different skills to enter, and don't even have the social skills you'd expect (such as gather information, bluff, or diplomacy). He doesn't need all of them, but I'd expect at least a couple, especially out of a class that is so obviously skill oriented. I'd also consider making the A Little Bird Told me bonus twice your Bartender level, just so he might occasionally actually succeed at a knowledge check that the PCs interracting with him would care about.
    Both changes made. I was trying to figure how to boost the ALBTM modifier to a reasonable level... I considered having it be Level+Listen but decided against it. Level*2 works pretty well. I also realized that they didn't have near enough skill points given how many they really need, as you pointed out.

I also have a whole slew of NPC PrCs that I'm getting ready to post... The Guard, Magic Item Dealer and Messenger. I'm also juggling around ideas for the Mage's Apprentice.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm warrior 1 / bartender 5 / fighter X. Now 1/day I can't die :P.

Or... expert 1 / bartender 5 / bard 7 / loremaster X. 2 rerolls on your bardic knowledge. Btw metamagic feats don't have pre-reqs so you can start taking them at level 1 :P.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Maybe "So what will it be?" should give a bonus to diplomacy checks? People are predisposed to trust and view the local bar tender in a more favorable light. +1 per class level to diplomacy checks.

Also perform(Bar Tending Flair) as a class skill for tips. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olkN0rLvmpI

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Hmm warrior 1 / bartender 5 / fighter X. Now 1/day I can't die :P.

Or... expert 1 / bartender 5 / bard 7 / loremaster X. 2 rerolls on your bardic knowledge. Btw metamagic feats don't have pre-reqs so you can start taking them at level 1 :P.
    If you ever gain any class features from any class that is not an NPC PrC you lose all class features from your NPC PrCs. Bonus feats count as class features.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

First I love this class and can't wait to see the other N.P.C. Pr.C.s.

just a few comments, If you want the Bartender to loss all class abilities should he ever take a level of something other than a N.P.C. Pr.C., then you should probably say so in the class description and maybe include an Ex-Bartender section. Though honestly I don't like this idea because bar-tending is a profession not like a magical mumbojumbo... One question I wonder is do you loss all abilities even if you get class features from N.P.C. base classes?
    Opinions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Role playing is more important than roll playing.

Gnomes are supreme, Flumphs are second only to Gnomes. This is the way the universe works.

Facts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Mine started at Doom Day Gras(Mardi Gras but with more Doom)

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    "Apprentice?"
    "Yes?"
    "Get this floor mat off my head before I discorporate you."
    "Yes sir."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thugorp View Post
    just a few comments, If you want the Bartender to loss all class abilities should he ever take a level of something other than a N.P.C. Pr.C., then you should probably say so in the class description and maybe include an Ex-Bartender section. Though honestly I don't like this idea because bar-tending is a profession not like a magical mumbojumbo... One question I wonder is do you loss all abilities even if you get class features from N.P.C. base classes?
    Well the main idea was that these would be entirely off limits to heroes. These are the 'Normal People'. The class feature restriction can easily be disregarded. And as it is, don't you lose class features if you no longer qualify for the class itself? I think that might be true but I'm not sure. And mostly I'm too lazy to go through all of my NPC PrCs to add "Ex-____" sections and special notes saying that they do indeed lose their powers.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post

I think back in the day the bartender was usually the inn/tavern owner, but I'll admit to not having any real knowledge about that. Not saying the ability shouldn't be changed, but using modern day experience isn't always correct.

I feel like he should have the ability to flawlessly slide a cup across a countertop.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Question Re: [3.5e NPC PrC] The Bartender (PEACH)

Then why does is say P.E.A.C.H. in the title? Don't get me wrong if you dissagreed with adding it I wouldn't have said this, but if you are just to, "lazy," to make a change then why bother asking for people to critique your work? :-P
    Opinions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnomes are supreme, Flumphs are second only to Gnomes. This is the way the universe works.

Facts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

"Apprentice?"
    "Yes?"
    "Yes sir."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Then why does is say P.E.A.C.H. in the title? Don't get me wrong if you dissagreed with adding it I wouldn't have said this, but if you are just to, "lazy," to make a change then why bother asking for people to critique your work? :-P
    Well, that's more of a preference issue than a balance issue...

And I do believe that by default if you no longer meet the entry requirements you no longer gain the benefits of the class.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

fair I guess... ummm I feel a little silly saying it here, since I am literally just using Firefox's find function to find all of your classes to make sure I don't miss any of the awesomeness, but... I think this one needs weapon/armor proficiency.
    Opinions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Facts:
    Spoiler
    Show

"Apprentice?"
    "Yes?"
    "Yes sir."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I'll go through all of these and add proficiencies when I have a bit of time.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

Make sure they get Improvised Weapon Proficiency in Mugs, Bottles, Barstools and similar bartending implements. I can't really personally see them being proficient in much else though, daggers maybe?
    Game systems I play: DnD 3.5, Pathfinder, Star Wars Saga, Vampire: The Masquerade, Dungeons: The Dragoning, AFBME, Atomic Highway, Dark Heresy, Legend of the 5 Rings 4E, MAID and... EQRPG... Does anyone actually play that?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Daggers, clubs(or baseball/cricket bats), Cross-Bowes(the one he keeps under the bar), and 1 kind of sword(long or longer, the one hanging above the bar that he/his father/his grand father/great great grand... used to use on adventures as a young man/brought home from the war/used in the age before the city was built.) :-)
    Opinions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Facts:
    Spoiler
    Show

"Apprentice?"
    "Yes?"
    "Yes sir."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Daggers, clubs(or baseball/cricket bats), Cross-Bowes(the one he keeps under the bar), and 1 kind of sword(long or longer, the one hanging above the bar that he/his father/his grand father/great great grand... used to use on adventures as a young man/brought home from the war/used in the age before the city was built.) :-)
    I think Simple Weapon Proficiency along with proficiency with a single Martial Weapon of their choice should cover this. Add in "And with mugs, bottles, and chairs" and most of the Improvised weapons at their disposal should be covered as well.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

I can't imagine any campaign setting except maybe Ebberon where a bartender learns evasion before some sort of unarmed or improvised fighting skills.

Also immune to intimidate would make it a no-no in any campaign I ran. As other's have pointed out this is powerful enough to be a PC class

As far as weapon proficiencies, a sap. Killing your customers is bad for bussiness.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PoorHobo View Post
    I can't imagine any campaign setting except maybe Ebberon where a bartender learns evasion before some sort of unarmed or improvised fighting skills.

Also immune to intimidate would make it a no-no in any campaign I ran. As other's have pointed out this is powerful enough to be a PC class

As far as weapon proficiencies, a sap. Killing your customers is bad for bussiness.
    Check the proficiencies. Bartenders can are proficient with all simple weapons and most common bar items.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Hm. I feel like you should either give them a good Will save, or stick something in there to help protect them from charm and domination; you'd think that after a while they'd build up a tolerance to bards, sorcerers, and wizards Charming them as a means to escape paying for room and board.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    Hm. I feel like you should either give them a good Will save, or stick something in there to help protect them from charm and domination; you'd think that after a while they'd build up a tolerance to bards, sorcerers, and wizards Charming them as a means to escape paying for room and board.
    Hmm. You actually have a point there. Wait, so we're saying that this is going to be an NPC class with all good saves? I know, I'll squeeze it into Seen it All.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

It seems like you should say this:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Bartender is proficient with all simple weapons, martial weapons, and one improvised weapon of his or her choice: mug, bottle, or chair.

See here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/...martialWeapons
    (if you look down the page there is a chart listing the martial weapons).

Don't forget --characters take a -4 penalty to attack with a weapon if they are not proficient with that weapon.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Bartender is proficient with all simple weapons, martial weapons, and one improvised weapon of his or her choice: mug, bottle, or chair.

Don't forget --characters take a -4 penalty to attack with a weapon if they are not proficient with that weapon.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post

Debby
    Reworded it a bit. I don't believe that they should be proficient with all Martial weapons, however. It doesn't make a lot of sense as to why they would have training with all of those...

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    Check the proficiencies. Bartenders can are proficient with all simple weapons and most common bar items.
    The sap is a martial weapon.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    The sap is a martial weapon.
    Well darn. I guess that they could choose that as the martial weapon which they are proficient with?

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show