New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5e NPC PrC] The Mage's Assistant (PEACH)

The Mage's Assistant

"Ooh, what does this do?"
    -Jeffrey, Mage's Assistant

There's always an ingredient in the cellar, in the garden, or in the the attic. There's always a magic item to dust. There's always a library to reorganize. There's always new spells to test. Guess who gets the job? Mage's Assistants aren't Mage's Apprentices. Nowhere close. They aren't taught by their master, but rather serve them. However, hanging around Wizards for too long does cause some... interesting effects. And reading a bit in your spare time never hurts.

Becoming a Mage's Assistant
    Mage's Assistants are usually sent off by poor families to bring in some money and hopefully learn a parlor trick or two to bring in some more. The only real criteria are to not get in the way too much and whatever is asked of you. The Master knows what he's doing. Most of the time.

Entry Requirements
    Skills: Climb 1, Profession (Mage's Assistant) 6, Spellcraft 1
    Special: Must serve an individual with at least one level in an Arcane spellcasting class.

Skill Points each level: 4+Intelligence Modifier
    Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Decipher Script, Hide, Knowledge (Arcana), Move Silently, Profession, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device

Hit Dice: d6

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
    1st
    +0
    +0
    +2
    +0
    Accustomed +1, Minor Schooling
    2nd
    +1
    +0
    +3
    +0
    A Trick or Two
    3rd
    +1
    +1
    +3
    +1
    Accustomed +2, Evasion
    4th
    +2
    +1
    +4
    +1
    A Trick or Three
    5th
    +2
    +1
    +4
    +1
    Spell Comprehension

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Mage's Assistant gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Accustomed: When you work for a spellcaster, you get exposed to spells. A lot. After a while you just start getting used to the random spells and exploding magic items. This comes in the form of a bonus to all saves against spells and spell-like abilities.

Minor Schooling: Assistants are far less likely to get into trouble if they know what they're doing. Because of this, their Masters give them a bit of minor schooling. They add their Assistant level as a bonus to Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft.

A Trick or Two: Hanging out in a Wizard's tower every day, what are you going to do when you get bored? You certainly aren't going to go tell Master that you finished shining his collection of stuffed Otyughs. How about reading a book or two? Mage's Assistants eventually pick up on a couple of lower-level spells. When they attain this ability, they select two 0-level spells from the Wizard's spell list. They may now use each of these once per day as a spell-like ability with the save being based off of their Intelligence and their effective CL equal to their Assistant level. If they ever become a Wizard, levels in Wizard stack with levels in Assistant for determining the CL.

Evasion: Wizards like things that go boom and often try to create new ways to achieve this. This doesn't always go as planned. Being able to dodge Evocation is a good way to increase an Assistant's longevity. Assistants gain Evasion, as the Rogue ability of the same name, at 2nd level.

A Trick or Three: After much work, the Assistant has learned to cast a single first level spell from the Wizard spell list once per day at a CL equal to their Assistant level as a spell-like ability. If they ever become a Wizard, levels in Wizard stack with levels in Assistant for determining the CL.

Spell Comprehension: Assistants eventually build up enough knowledge of Wizard magic to cast Prepared spells just as a Wizard does. They gain two 0-level spell slots and a single 1st-level slot. These are in addition to the spells that they've mastered. The caster level of these spells is equal to their Assistant level.

Note: Spells and abilities from A Trick or Two, A Trick or Three, and Spell Comprehension are all subjected to Arcane Spell Failure due to armor.

And that's it. That's the last of my NPC PrCs. I realize that this class isn't near as good at casting as an Adept is, but it isn't meant to be a primary caster. It's meant to have a smattering of Arcane talents in addition to some much-needed magic survivability.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2014-05-04 at 07:49 PM.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5e NPC PrC] The Mage's Assistant (PEACH)

Wow, you sure are posting a lot of these.

I enjoy this one the most, so far.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Thumbs up Re: [3.5e NPC PrC] The Mage's Assistant (PEACH)

Yes this one is VERY good, the only 2 comments I have, are that 1. it needs weapon/armor proficiency. 2. have you thought about just giving them spell resistance for the accustomed ability?
    Last edited by Thugorp; 2011-05-10 at 07:18 PM.
    Opinions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Role playing is more important than roll playing.

Gnomes are supreme, Flumphs are second only to Gnomes. This is the way the universe works.

Facts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Mine started at Doom Day Gras(Mardi Gras but with more Doom)

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    "Apprentice?"
    "Yes?"
    "Get this floor mat off my head before I discorporate you."
    "Yes sir."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thugorp View Post
    Yes this one is VERY good, the only 2 comments I have, are that 1. it needs weapon/armor proficiency. 2. have you thought about just giving them spell resistance for the accustomed ability?
    Actually, they used to have SR as the fifth ability, but then I actually thought of your campaign. As a PC the SR would be far more valuable and the lack of versatility far more hurtful. The +2 on all saves is hardly negligible however...

Edit: And SR is pretty obviously a supernatural power. I've been trying to keep these more or less mundane. And the "Master" would start getting pissed when the spell he's trying to test simply fails against his Assistant.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-05-10 at 07:28 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Wow, that is actually a really great reason not to give them that... I am also a bit touched that you thought of my campagin... Would you like to join? It would give you a chance to play test any or all of your classes and we are always looking for good role-players.
    Opinions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnomes are supreme, Flumphs are second only to Gnomes. This is the way the universe works.

Facts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

"Apprentice?"
    "Yes?"
    "Yes sir."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, that is actually a really great reason not to give them that... I am also a bit touched that you thought of my campagin... Would you like to join? It would give you a chance to play test any or all of your classes and we are always looking for good role-players.
    I was actually considering it. I haven't ever done a pbp before though...

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Oh, well there's the best part, it's not a play by post, it's a campaign over skype! :-D
    Opinions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Facts:
    Spoiler
    Show

"Apprentice?"
    "Yes?"
    "Yes sir."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, well there's the best part, it's not a play by post, it's a campaign over skype! :-D
    Hmm. I have a couple of questions, though I think those would be better placed on the recruitment thread...

Oh, and I added proficiencies for all of these.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

This seems to presume a lot poorer of a boss for the mage in question than I would generally expect PCs to be (even the Evil ones are generally much too interest in their NPCs loyalty to use them as test subjects I should think)... works pretty well for SOME foes though.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    This seems to presume a lot poorer of a boss for the mage in question than I would generally expect PCs to be (even the Evil ones are generally much too interest in their NPCs loyalty to use them as test subjects I should think)... works pretty well for SOME foes though.
    Are you referencing the amount of money that they'd get from the Profession skill? It isn't much, but then again the Assistant isn't much. They usually start out as plain-old commoners.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    Hmm. I have a couple of questions, though I think those would be better placed on the recruitment thread...

Oh, and I added proficiencies for all of these.
    Then I will add these to the playable Pr.C.s for my campaign! :-D
    Opinions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Facts:
    Spoiler
    Show

"Apprentice?"
    "Yes?"
    "Yes sir."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    Are you referencing the amount of money that they'd get from the Profession skill? It isn't much, but then again the Assistant isn't much. They usually start out as plain-old commoners.
    No, I am referring to the reasons you give for them needing evasion and bonuses to saves against spells.

Of course, that could easily be re-fluffed as protection against ACCIDENTS in the lab, rather than the ability to survive being used as the Fantasy equivalent of crash-test dummies.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2011-05-10 at 11:34 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    No, I am referring to the reasons you give for them needing evasion and bonuses to saves against spells.

Of course, that could easily be re-fluffed as protection against ACCIDENTS in the lab, rather than the ability to survive being used as the Fantasy equivalent of crash-test dummies.
    Oh, I thought that was implied. There aren't enough volunteers to go about intentionally fireballing your assistants. At least without abjurations, that is. I'll refluff a bit.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I think you've worded Evasion poorly. There is no such thing as being able to dodge Evocation. You dodge spells from the Evocation school. Then again is this ability useless against spells of other schools that fit the parameter? For example if he's ten feet from an Explosive Runes spell or attacked with an Incendiary Cloud can he use Dodge or not?

If it's only applicable to spells from the Evocation school you should state it clearly. If it's applicable to spells from all schools that fit the parameters, then you should state that clearly. As it stands, I can't tell one way or the the other.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-05-11 at 11:06 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    I think you've worded Evasion poorly. There is no such thing as being able to dodge Evocation. You dodge spells from the Evocation school. Then again is this ability useless against spells of other schools that fit the parameter? For example if he's ten feet from an Explosive Runes spell or attacked with an Incendiary Cloud can he use Dodge or not?

If it's only applicable to spells from the Evocation school you should state it clearly. If it's applicable to spells from all schools that fit the parameters, then you should state that clearly. As it stands, I can't tell one way or the the other.

Debby
    Clarified. It's a full-fledged Evasion.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Umm perhaps you just should have said:

"Being able to dodge spells is a good way to increase an Assistant's longevity. As the Rogue ability of the same name." That would have been a simpler.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-05-11 at 05:03 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread