New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Default Sunder Monk wants to Stun and Damage Multiple Enemies

So I have a player in my game who plays a monk sunder machine. He was thinking that he needs some super cool attack from his monk training. He wanted to jump and land in a group of enemies dealing damage, knocking them prone, and stunning them. Here's what I came up with and he likes it but I was wanting to know if its balanced well. The feat is overspecialized to his character, a monk that sunders, but I think its just powerful enough to act like similar to a fireball with the added effects of proning and stunning. (copy&pasted from a text document)

Stunning Meteor Strike
    Preq of this feat: Str 15, Dex 15, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Power Attack, Flying Kick, Power Lunge, Dodge, Mobility, Improved Sunder, BaB +8, Jump 14 ranks

Jump up high into the air and fly down with immense pressure like a meteor falling down to the earth.

Benefit: If you spend a stunning fist use for when you charge at least 20 feet and successfully Jump(DC 20) on a medium size creature, at least 5 feet higher than your enemies , Jump(DC 40) on a large creature and so on, you fly down hard to the ground dealing sunder damage to all enemies within 10 feet of where you land vs Reflex saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 BaB + Str Mod), half on a success. Those enemies that take damage fall prone. Spending an additional stunning fist use for each enemy, enemies make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Wis modifier), on failure those enemies become stunned as under the effect of Stunning Fist feat. Creatures Immune to stunning cannot be affected by this feat. You provoke attack of opportunity from creatures who threaten where you land.

calculated damage at level 12, str mod 3, power attack, flying kick, power lunge, stunning meteor strike

2d6+6+9+1d12 = min 18, max 39

I understand that when you sunder you deal damage to objects. This feat conveys the damage he does to the ground to the enemies affected by the attack.

About damage: A level 12 wizard's fireball without any metamagic feats deals a minimum of 6 and a max of 60 damage. So I feel the damage is about even. Maybe I could reduce the damage somehow since this feat doesn't restrict the monk like it does fireball (Max 10d6), but then again, a wizard could just use a greater version of the spell at later levels so the damage would still balance about the same.

Side Note: To use this feat the monk spends a stunning fist use and for each enemy he wishes to stun he must also spend a stunning fist. I can see how this may be a little broken if the monk never tries to stun anyone but my player was wanting to stun multiple enemies at once.
    Last edited by Tormented; 2011-05-02 at 04:22 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Sunder Monk wants to Stun and Damage Multiple Enemies

any opinions on how to make better/change this feat? a buddy rehashed it like this:
    STUNNING METEOR STRIKE
    You jump high into the air and fly down with immense pressure, like a meteor falling down to the earth.
    Prerequisites: Str 15, Wis 15, Jump 12 ranks, Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack, Stunning Fist, base attack bonus +8
    Benefit: To use this feat, you must expend three daily uses of Stunning Fist and combine a jump with a charge against an opponent. You must jump at least 5 feet vertically, and end your jump in a square from which you threaten the target of your charge.
    Instead of attacking your opponent at the end of your charge, you strike the ground, dealing your unarmed strike damage to all adjacent creatures, stunning them, and knocking them prone. A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Wis modifier) halves the damage and allows a creature to avoid being stunned and knocked prone. Creatures larger than you gain a +4 bonus on their saving throw for every size category of difference.

I kind of really like this, my only grievance is that if there's less of a chance for the enemies to be stunned/proned. I was really wanting the feat to succeed at one of those after initial damage. opinions?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

After some thought I'm thinking about cleaning it up to look like this:

STUNNING METEOR STRIKE
    You jump high into the air and fly down with immense pressure, like a meteor falling down to the earth.
    Prerequisites: Str 15, Wis 15, Jump 12 ranks, Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack, Improved Sunder, Stunning Fist, base attack bonus +8
    Benefit: To use this feat, you must expend three daily uses of Stunning Fist and combine a jump with a charge against an opponent. You must jump at least 5 feet vertically, and end your jump in a square from which you threaten the target of your charge.
    Instead of attacking your opponent at the end of your charge, you sunder the ground, conveying your sunder damage to all adjacent creatures within a 10 foot radius, stunning them, and knocking them prone. A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 your BAB + your Str modifier) halves the damage and allows a creature to avoid being knocked prone. A successful Fortitude save (DC 10 +1/2 your character level + your Wis modifier) allows a creature to avoid being stunned. Creatures larger than you gain a +4 bonus on their Reflex saving throw for every size category of difference. You provoke attack of opportunity from creatures who threaten where you land.

It still retains the concept of jumping up in the air and falling down with force and if you have Flying Kick and Power Lunge then you can use those but remember this feat is originally written for a monk sunder machine so I'd like to apply "sundering the ground" and conveying that damage to those within the affected area. It still uses Power Attack for a little extra damage. Having Dodge and Mobility would be choice when using this feat but wouldn't be required for actually moving like this. I'm thinking of keeping the AoO because normally you threaten AoO from those around the person you charge and since you basically charge a square you would provoke AoO from enemies who threaten that square. Creatures Immune to stunning still wouldn't be stunned but they can be knocked prone if i remember correctly so it doesn't have to be written.
    Last edited by Tormented; 2011-05-02 at 07:38 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Could I please get some feedback on this?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

There are rules on double posting...

But anyway, there's a feat in Sandstorm called Pharaoh's Fist which lets you stun in a burst. The psionic power stomp lets you knock people prone around you - it's accesible through the half-giant race or an item, but a monk 2/psychic warrior 18 with the Tashalatora feat (levels in psionic class stack for most monk features) is really much more monk-y than a monk 20.