New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Hit Dice?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Hit Dice?

I just got the second edition Player's handbook. I've never played second edition before (I'm really only used to 4e... shut up) and the handbook does not explain how to determine hit points, or what a hit die even is. If someone wouldn't mind explaining it, that would be great. Thanks for any help.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Hit Dice?

Quote Originally Posted by Torengal View Post
    I just got the second edition Player's handbook. I've never played second edition before (I'm really only used to 4e... shut up) and the handbook does not explain how to determine hit points, or what a hit die even is. If someone wouldn't mind explaining it, that would be great. Thanks for any help.
    A hit dice is the dice rolled to determine how many hit points something has, and is dependant upon your class. Player characters determine their hit points by rolling a number of hit dice equal to their level*, and then modifying that number by their constitution.

In the case of monsters their hit dice is basically their level, and there are charts in the DMG that describe the progression for saves and Thac0 by Hit Dice.

To determine their hit points Monsters roll a number of d8s equal to their hit dice and ignore their constitution modifier. This means that most monsters have hit points equal to 4.5x their Hit Dice.

*up until level 10, at which point you just add a flat amount.
    Last edited by Talakeal; 2011-06-11 at 11:02 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Players also determine their hit points by level. Based on your class you roll <level>d<hit die> for hps. So Clerics got d8's, mages d4's, etc. Essentially, hit dice = levels for monsters.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Torengal View Post
    Eh, everyone's got to start somewhere.

As mention, HD are the die you roll each level to determine how many HP you have. This is determined by your class group. Warriors are D10, Wizards are D4, Priests are D8 and Rogues are D6. Each level (until about 9 or 10) you roll that die and add any appropriate modifier from Constitution, adding that to your new maximum HP. Monsters are always on a D8.

That said, there's a few different ways to do HP. Back in the day, we always did it with a straight HD roll, plus constitution modifiers. Other groups may have done max HP. I've recently come to enjoy d4+(HD size -4), so HP for Rogues, Priests and Warriors is a bit variable, but you don't wind up with a 4th level fighter with 6 HP (max).
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Even in Second Edition, the Hit Die was an old gaming relic... it was used before "Elf" was a class.

Maybe they felt that it was pretty common knowledge and only mention it once somewhere... I guess I could go through and check... but... I don't really feel like it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Pages 11-12 of the 2E PHB are a glossary. Hit Dice/Hit points are described on page 11, upper right hand corner.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post

*up until level 10, at which point you just add a flat amount.
    Careful some classes get their last hit die at level 9 in 2e (such as warriors) and some classes received their last HD at 10 such as the thief. Though I could see why you might say that since that is very close to the truth if you are going by memory that is easy to forget.

I thought it was funny how many HD 1e classes have since each class could be so different. For instance the single most important stat for a monk was CON bar none (it was the only way to survive).

When I do HP rolls I let the player roll but make the minimum HP you get equal to to the average rounded up. So a d4 has a minimum of 3, d6-4, d8-5, d10-6. Allows players to roll (which mine like) but takes out some of the randomness and keeps the HP in a healthier place.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

In addition to some of the points already raised, Hit Dice are a clever little design feature that tell you several things:

Hit Points
    Life Energy Levels
    Fighting Ability (THAC0)
    Saving Throws
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)