1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default 'Neath the Darkening Storm (IC)

Dark.

Cold.

Sore.

Grassy...

As your eyes open and you become accustomed to your orientation--prone, looking up from a grassy field into the star-speckled black of a night sky, only one thing is certain: these aren't the same stars you saw the previous night, before your little band decided to sneak into wizard Margvan's tower and explore the winding hallways lined with rune-encircled doors. The third door on the left--the bright flash of pulsating blue light--and then dark.

The field is really more of a grassy hill, set in what is apparently a rolling countryside dotted with unfamiliar trees. Somewhere in the distance to the--well, whatever direction that is--there is a great hissing sound, like taking the lid off a kettle on the boil, or a blacksmith quenching a blade in a barrel of icy water.

But this sound goes on for nearly a full minute, gradually diminishing in intensity before fading to inaudibility. Or, rather, any remaining sound is covered by the faint babble of people talking. It's not very loud, but the quality of the noise indicates that there are a great number of speakers.
    Suspiciously normal.
    I'm from the Government. We're here to help!
    2nd Age Elven Warrior by Vrythas. Elves are not pansies!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: 'Neath the Darkening Storm (IC)

Griam sat up looking as he always did when woken up, grey and about as corpselike as a living person can seem.

"Where are we? And what's that noise?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Coris stays on the ground, frowning, for a few moments.

"I'm not sure." The boy says, considering all of the places his parents had told him about. Remembering their warnings, he curled one hand into a fist, willing the magical power within him to flare up. After a moment, his hand was engulfed in a purple flame that faded a moment later. "I'm not sure about all of you, but it seems like my magic works, at least." He says, standing and turning to the direction of the noise. "It sounds like people over there-should we go look?" Coris asked, turning to the others.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

"Nah, let's just stand here."

Griam grins before continuing.

"Yes, we should. But being ready for trouble can't be a bad idea."
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Saverana Ta'aert

"Indeed it cannot. I have a few simple spells memorized in case of emergency - what about you?"
    "Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." - Jon Stewart

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Christopher is kneeling on the grass, his feet still under him. A sudden feeling of disorientation comes over him - he felt as though he'd only stumbled, but suddenly he found himself in an entirely different locale. Rune-covered walls had become open air, stone floor had become grass, and, judging by the darkness around them, day had become night.

Christopher looks around himself, seeing his friends sprawled out on the grass, eyes shut. A sudden shrill hissing sound off in the distance makes him jump involuntarily, head whipping around to look in the direction of the noise. Only a second later, he hears Griam's voice behind him. Christopher remains silent as the rest of his friends begin waking up, moving to help Saverana, his adopted sister, onto her feet.

After Saverana speaks, Christopher hesitantly asks,

"Do you... you don't think we'll be attacked, do you?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

"Guess it never hurts to be careful. Usually."

Alicia's muffled voice rose from where she had landed, face down, and with a giant lump of fur across her back. As she shifted, the furry object rose and solidified into a large wolf, its proud head bowed to check on the muddied figure in the grass. Alicia then levered herself up from the grass, using the ruff of the wolf's neck to pull herself to standing. Leaning on Bob, the girl surveyed the countryside. It was disorienting.

"Does anyone know where we ended up? 'Cause the stars are all wrong. And the trees are weird."
    "The more I talk, the stupider I sound." ~Me
    "Life is what you make of it." ~Deadpool

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Coris looks around again before speaking. "I'd guess that we somehow landed in another plane. We should find some mages and see if they can send us back." He says, looking off towards the direction of the noise. "It sounds like there are people over there-maybe we should check it out?" The boy considers, glancing to the others for confirmation.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Responding to Christopher, Saverana says "Of course not, silly. Think about it - we haven't got a thing worth stealing, and if anything happened to us, Mother would be very angry. I agree with Coris; let's go talk to the people."
    "Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." - Jon Stewart

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Chris nods, reassured. He shrugs and takes a few steps in the direction of the noise. "Well, let's go then, right?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Right, let's go! Coric says, heading off in the direction of the noise, glancing back at the others to make sure they were going as well. As long as they were in a group and he had his powers, he could at least feel confident in their ability to get by until they could find a friendly mage to get them home.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Griam walks towards the noise along with Coris.

"Wonder where we turned up, too nice to be Baator, and not nice enough to be celestia...
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Somewhere else on the Prime Material, then?" Saverana's brow furrows in what's meant as a look of concentration and concern but winds up just looking cute.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The five lost souls gather themselves up and proceed in the direction of the hissing noise. The breeze picks up just a bit, blowing fitfully across the grass and setting it to rustling--noise enough to obscure the general babble of voices. One voice, however, rises above the rest: a clear, crisp, authoritative male speaker with a strange, tall-voweled accent. "You there! First years, look alive and report to the head of the queue at once! We shan't be late on your accounts!"

At the crest of the next hill, the source becomes quite clear, though still quite strange. There is a gigantic, steaming ironworks that stretches for near on a quarter mile to the right; it sits upon twin metal rails that extend to the horizon in both directions. The ironworks appears rather to be a series of windowed boxes, from which there are robed children emerging onto the platform at the far side. A tall, rail-thin gentleman, garbed in a plain black robe, holds a lantern aloft as he beckons urgently. "This way, first years!" he calls again, and the smallest of the children start to gather around him in droves.

Atop the wooded hills behind the platform, etched in stark silhouette against the twilight sky, is an enormous castle. It looks not at all similar to the styles of home, but rather seems as though a number of wizard's towers have been connected by high baileys, low courts, and strange arch-covered bridges that practically seem to float. The starlight reflects, shimmering and hazy, from the surface of a glassy lake that nestles among the hills between the platform and the gates of the castle.
    Suspiciously normal.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Ahhh..." the short elf sighs in relief, visibly relaxing. "That's a wizard's fortress if ever I've seen one, and of such size! There must be plenty of mages there who can help us. It may even be a school, if those children are any indication - all the better."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Coric nods, smiling. Even if there aren't many mages who can do that sort of portal-spell, it would probably be the headmaster of this kind of school. Even if he can't, a school means that there's probably enough of a community that they can find someone who can. He says, looking at the odd machine. Well, ah...how will we get over there? The boy wonders after a moment, looking at the massive machine blocking their path.

(If it isn't in the way, just ignore that last part.)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The group could walk the long way, around the back of the big machine, or cross in front of the steaming engine through the brilliant beam of light it emits...
    Suspiciously normal.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I don't trust that light; lots of spells look like harmless light, but - aren't. We could go under it, but it's awfully big and might not notice us...Let's go around it."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

"Why not just go over?"
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Coric looks at the machine-if it seems like the group could climb over it, he'll mention the path to the others, otherwise he's for going around the back.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

As the group walks a bit closer, Coric determines that the hulking machine is not a monolith, but rather a linked set of windowed metal boxes on wheels. Assuming it does not move, the five could easily pass between two of the boxes by ducking under or climbing over the linkages. Unfortunately, there are no doors visible on this side.
    Suspiciously normal.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Coric points out the space between the boxes to the others. We can go through there. Let's be quick, though, we don't know if this thing is going to start doing something soon... The boy says, nervous about going between two parts of a massive metal machine for any length of time.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Lacking a better plan, the group follows Coric's lead and goes scrambling between two of the big metal boxes. The platform at the other side is a couple of feet above ground, but it's easy enough to climb up and join the general gaggle of robed children. The youngest don't notice the newcomers, for they are fixed on the male "wizard" who is herding them to one end of the platform; the older ones, for their part, are proceeding along a different path that takes them away from the platform without passing where the five strangers are skulking along.

"Alright, first years, listen up!" says the man as the group moves ponderously past the end of the platform and toward the shore of the lake, "Five to a boat now! Look lively, for if you are late your elders shall be cross on account of the late dinner!"

As he speaks, small spots of flickering light suddenly appear, illuminating the air over a fleet of rowboats beached along the shore. At the fore, the robed children are already starting to sort themselves into the little vessels, and as each fills, it pushes off into the water without any sort of oars or other visible propulsion. The flame-like lights continue to hover over the boats as they move out, giving the impression of so many will-o-wisps on the lake.
    Suspiciously normal.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Coric moves slowly, wary of the lights-his parents had warned him about floating lights that led unwary travelers to their deaths. Then again, maybe they were some sort of guardians?

Turning to the others, the boy glances around once before whispering Alright, what now? Do we just go with them and find someone in the castle, or ask someone now? Coric asks, his voice betraying his insecurity. In a strange place, surrounded by unknown people...It was really getting to him. He needed something normal, something that he knew. The only thing that there was for that, however, were his powers and friends, now...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

OOC: sorry. I was waiting for others to make the first move.

Griam brushes some grass off of his grey robe and, a bored expression on his face, he walks straight into the crowd, making his way straight to the adult shouting instructions.

"Sir, My friends and I have managed to become lost, An arcane mishap I believe. So could you perhaps direct us to the nearest mage capable of transporting us back?"
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The middle-aged wizard looks up from where he has been herding a trio of small and rather exuberant boys into a boat. Peering down the length of his thin, bony nose, he holds up his lantern to illuminate the five strange youngsters. "What's this 'magical mishap' nonsense? Balderdash! The only mishap I see is that you five are desperate to earn demerits for your houses afore you've even been sorted. The First Night feast is not some costume ball, children!" With his free hand, the man reaches into the folds of his black robe and produces a short, pointed wand crafted of some springy wood that surmounts a silver filigree handle. He waves it in a figure-eight pattern in the air over the group and intones rather harshly, "Preparo regaliam!"

There is a sudden breeze that sets everyone's clothes to fluttering. As the strange gust passes, the five notice that their garb has been utterly transformed. Christopher, Coric, and Griam find themselves in tight-fitting black trousers and starched-stiff collared shirts of white linen; Saeverna and Alicia, meanwhile, are now wearing black dresses of soft but somewhat scratchy wool. Over each set of clothes is an unadorned black robe identical to those worn by the other children. The remaining possessions brought by each are neatly concealed underneath the flowing overgarment.

The wizard nods in a satisfied manner and points imperiously toward the nearest empty boat with his wand. "Now, children, there shall be no more dilly-dallying! Off you go, into the boat, chop-chop!"
    Suspiciously normal.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Griam frowns, "Sir, we didn't come on your metal contraption back there with the others, we merely walked over it to get to someone capable of telling us where in the nine hells we are. Besides we aren't here for some feast, we don't even know where here is." It's at this point he engages in an odd habit he picked up from his dad, when stressed both play with tindertwigs, In this case griam simply twiddles it in his fingers unlit.

OOC: I, didn't mean for griam to actually point them out, more he just mentioned that he had friends.
    Last edited by druid91; 2011-06-21 at 02:23 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The man draws himself up and looks as though he is about to deliver a sharp rebuke, but then his eyes narrow and he examines Griam more closely. "You... well, you do not look British, that is for certain. Hmm, I think this will be a matter best suited to the attention of the headmaster. The boats will take you to Hogwart's presently, along with the rest of the students, and after a good meal perhaps this business can be sorted out in short order." He sheathes his wand within the folds of his robe and beckons the five outsiders--indeed, the only others remaining on the sand--into the nearest craft. "Come now, it shan't be long," he adds as he enters the boat hiimself and settles himself near the stern.
    Suspiciously normal.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Coric follows the man, hoping to get this issue resolved as quickly as possible. Although the sudden change of his attire bothers him, he's willing to ignore it for now, not wanting to delay their meeting with the headmaster. After all, it wouldn't be too long before everyone would be worried about the children, and Coric would rather get back before that happened.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Griam smiles and stows the tindertwig away.

"Hmm father did warn me to be careful about trusting strangers... But I suppose they wouldn't have you in the job you have if you were the sort to kidnap anyone."

He walks to the boat.
    Spoiler
    Show