New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Spellcasting Monk for a 10 Level Game -- Please PEACH!

The Cloistered Monk

Hit Die: d8
    Skill Points: (4+Int)
    Skills: The monk’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Weapon Proficiencies: Unarmed Strike and 1 Exotic or Martial wapon, called a Style Weapon.

The monk receives no training with armor or shields.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Ref Save|Fort Save|Will Save|Special|Spells Known|Spell Slots|

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Superior Unarmed Strike; Harmony|0|1

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Sublime Strike|1|3|

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Saints Hand|2|4|

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Evasion|3|6|

5th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Tranquil Rush|3|7|

6th|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Mettle|4|9|

7th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Crushing Blow|5|10|

8th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Improved Evasion|6|12|

9th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Faultless Flurry|6|13|

10th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Apotheosis|7|15|[/table]

Ki-Spellcaster (Su): Through rigorous meditation, the monk learns how to cast a limited number of spells chosen from the Monk spell list. These spells are not Divine in nature, instead representing potent manifestations of the Monk’s Ki.

Spell Slots(Su): The monk prepares his spells and class features in a unique way. The monk has a number of spell slots determined by his monk level. Each spell slot can hold a spell of 1st level. To prepare higher level spells, the monk must commit a number of spell slots equal to the spells level. Preparing a spell to fill a spell slot takes 1 minute of meditation per spell level. Once a spell is cast, the spell slots holding that spell are unavailable until the monk takes at least a 4 hour rest.
    In addition to preparing spells in this way, the monk also empowers several class features via spell slots.
    This is otherwise identical to preparing a spell, save that features manifest in this way are considered Supernatural Abilities.

Unlike most spellcasters who prepare effects, the monk can change his daily allotment of spells in a relatively short period of time. With 5 minutes of meditation, the monk empties all filled spell slots. He may then meditate to re-assign his remaining slots as normal.

Superior Unarmed Strike (Ex): A monk of 1st level has learned how to deliver an unarmed attack of superior power. The monk inflicts 1d6 damage with a successful unarmed attack, threatening a critical on a roll of 19-20 and inflicting x3 damage on a successful critical hit. Damage with an unarmed attack may be lethal or non-lethal as the monk chooses.

Harmony (Ex): The physical hardship a monk endures during his training hardens the body and purifies the spirit. A monk who is unarmored an unencumbered adds his Wisdom modifier to his Armor Class, and gains half his Wisdom Modifier as Damage Resistance and Energy Resistance against all attacks. This bonus increases by 1 for every 5 monk levels earned.
    *Note: This game uses the Unearthed Arcana variant rules for Armor. Hence, the class needs a little bit of Damage Reduction.

Sublime Strike(Ex): When delivering an unarmed strike, a monk of 2nd level adds his Wisdom modifier to the damage inflicted on a successful attack. This stacks with any bonus provided by strength.

Saint’s Hand(Su): At the beginning of his mastery, the monk learns how to deliver attacks that sap his opponents strength, forcing a confrontation to come to a swift end.
    Saint’s Hand is prepared as a 1st level monk spell. When the monk lands an attack, he may expend Saint’s Hand to force his opponent to make a Fortitude Save (DC 10 + ½ monk level + Wisdom modifier) or be Fatigued in addition to taking damage as normal.

Evasion (Ex): At 4th level and higher, a monk can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the monk is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless adventurer does not gain the benefit of evasion.
    At 8th level this ability improves: the monk gains Improved Evasion, taking no damage on a successful save and only half damage on a failed save.

Tranquil Rush (Su): At 5th level, the monk learns how to unify motion and attack. Tranquil Rush is prepared as a 1st level monk spell. As a standard action the monk can activate this power to make a charge attack against an opponent. The monk suffers no penalty to defense when making a Tranquil Rush and gains a +1 bonus to damage for every 10 feet traveled during the rush. A monk does not trigger attacks of opportunity when making a Tranquil Rush.

Mettle (Ex): Whenever the monk is subject to an effect requiring a Fortitude or Will save that has a lesser effect on a successful save, the monk ignores that effect.

Crushing Blow (Su): At 7th level, the monk has learned to strike with Ki as a deadly weapon. Crushing Blow is prepared as a monk spell of 2nd level. The monk may take a standard action to make a single attack against an opponent. On a successful strike, the attack is an automatic critical hit. If the monk rolls a natural critical on his attack roll, maximize the damage inflicted by Crushing Blow..
    An opponent struck by Crushing Blow must make a Fortitude Save DC (10 + ½ monk level + Wisdom modifier) or be Stunned for 1 round.

Faultless Flurry (Su): A monk of 9th level or higher channel his Ki energy into a supernatural flurry of motion, landing a multitude of blows in a single instant.
    Faultless Flurry can be prepared as a monk spell of 2nd level. As a full action, the monk may expend Faultless Flurry to make a full melee attack against all foes within the monks speed., up to a maximum of (Wisdom Modifier) opponents. This attack does not trigger attacks of opportunity. The monk ends this attack adjacent to any foe he successfully damaged.

Spells

Spoiler
    Show
    Level 1

Divine Favor: You gain +1 per three levels on attack and damage rolls.
    Jump: Subject gets bonus on Jump checks.
    Longstrider: Your speed increases by 10 ft.
    Magic Fang: One natural weapon of subject creature gets +1 on attack and damage rolls.
    Produce Flame: 1d6 damage +1/level, touch or thrown.
    Sanctuary: Opponents can’t attack you, and you can’t attack.
    Shield of Faith: Aura grants +2 or higher deflection bonus.
    Shillelagh*: Cudgel or quarterstaff becomes +1 weapon and deals damage as if 2 size categories larger for 1 min./level.

*Applies to Unarmed Strikes or Style Weapon

Level 2

Align Weapon: Weapon becomes good, evil, lawful, or chaotic.
    Bear’s Endurance: Subject gains +4 to Con for 1 min./level.
    Bull’s Strength: Subject gains +4 to Str for 1 min./level
    Cat’s Grace: Subject gains +4 to Dex for 1 min./level.
    Darkness: 20-ft. radius of supernatural shadow
    Gust of Wind: Blows away or knocks down smaller creatures.
    Resist Energy: Ignores 10 (or more) points of damage/attack from specified energy type.
    Spiritual Weapon: Magic weapon attacks on its own.

Level 3

Magic Fang, Greater: One natural weapon of subject creature gets +1/four levels on attack and damage rolls (max +5).
    Poison: Touch deals 1d10 Con damage, repeats in 1 min.
    Protection from Energy: Absorb 12 points/level of damage from one kind of energy.
    Chameleon: Gain +10 to hide checks
    Spider Climb: Walk on walls and ceilings
    Thornskin: Grow thorns that add damage to unarmed attacks, damage foes who attack you
    Fire Wings: Arms become flight capable wings, gain 2d6 fire damage attack
    Mirror Image: Creates decoy duplicates of you (1d4 +1 per three levels, max 8).

Level 4

Air Walk: Subject treads on air as if solid (climb at 45-degree angle).
    Divine Power: You gain attack bonus, +6 to Str, and 1 hp/level.
    Freedom of Movement: Subject moves normally despite impediments.
    Spell Immunity: Subject is immune to one spell per four levels.
    Stoneskin M: Ignore 10 points of damage per attack.
    Fire Shield: Creatures attacking you take fire damage; you’re protected from heat or cold.
    Creeping Darkness: Cloud of inky blackness moves at your command

Level 5

Righteous Might: Your size increases, and you gain combat bonuses.
    Slay Living: Touch attack kills subject.
    Spell Resistance: Subject gains SR 12 + level.
    True Seeing M: Lets you see all things as they really are.
    Last edited by wayfare; 2011-06-15 at 12:34 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Spellcasting Monk for a 10 Level Game -- Please PEACH!

Looks pretty cool to me. I'd say Faultless Flurry is too strong for ninth level, but since it's a second-to-capstone ability for this game and you won't get more than two attacks anyway, it should be alright (I'm fairly certain that it's vastly stronger than any normal second level spell the monk gets, but it's a higher-level ability so whatever).

Crushing Blow is also fairly devastating, given the X3 crit mult the monk gets. Again, better than its normal second level spells, but it's higher level. Although...in a game where you get a max of two attacks without Haste, a guaranteed triple-damage hit is pretty serious, especially with a stunning rider effect.

Saint's Hand gets the opposite review. Given how limited the monk's spell slots are, I'm not sure that spending one on fatigue is worth it. I think I'd much rather drop a shillelagh.

Actually, I can see a bit of an exploit with the free exotic weapon. I know the intention is presumably to get a kama or something...but what if someone takes a fullblade or mercurial greatsword? 2d8 fullblade damage + 2 sizes for shillelagh + 1 size for righteous might is, what, 6d6 per hit? Likewise, a shillelagh unarmed strike auto-critting is a solid 6d6 + 3*bonuses, but a shillelagh mercurial greatsword auto-critting is 16d6 + 4*bonuses. As early as, eh, seventh level.

That being said, I don't notice any effect of a Style weapon aside from being Shillelagh-OK.

You know...with the spell slots themselves being so limited, and high-level ones costing so much, and the narrow spell list, this class might work a bit better casting spontaneously.

Only other suggestion I'd have is adding Owl's Wisdom to the spells. Just seems appropriate.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Spellcasting Monk for a 10 Level Game -- Please PEACH!

Quote Originally Posted by Quellian-dyrae View Post
    Looks pretty cool to me. I'd say Faultless Flurry is too strong for ninth level, but since it's a second-to-capstone ability for this game and you won't get more than two attacks anyway, it should be alright (I'm fairly certain that it's vastly stronger than any normal second level spell the monk gets, but it's a higher-level ability so whatever).

Crushing Blow is also fairly devastating, given the X3 crit mult the monk gets. Again, better than its normal second level spells, but it's higher level. Although...in a game where you get a max of two attacks without Haste, a guaranteed triple-damage hit is pretty serious, especially with a stunning rider effect.

Saint's Hand gets the opposite review. Given how limited the monk's spell slots are, I'm not sure that spending one on fatigue is worth it. I think I'd much rather drop a shillelagh.

Actually, I can see a bit of an exploit with the free exotic weapon. I know the intention is presumably to get a kama or something...but what if someone takes a fullblade or mercurial greatsword? 2d8 fullblade damage + 2 sizes for shillelagh + 1 size for righteous might is, what, 6d6 per hit? Likewise, a shillelagh unarmed strike auto-critting is a solid 6d6 + 3*bonuses, but a shillelagh mercurial greatsword auto-critting is 16d6 + 4*bonuses. As early as, eh, seventh level.

That being said, I don't notice any effect of a Style weapon aside from being Shillelagh-OK.

You know...with the spell slots themselves being so limited, and high-level ones costing so much, and the narrow spell list, this class might work a bit better casting spontaneously.

Only other suggestion I'd have is adding Owl's Wisdom to the spells. Just seems appropriate.
    Thanks for the input. I'm playing around with some revisions to a few features that may get posted tonight.

Also, here is what I'm thinking for a capstone:

Apotheosis: A monk of 10th level perfects his body, gaining a +2 bonus to any 2 ability scores. The monk's flesh, imbued with Ki-Energy, becomes as durable as adamantine: a 10th level monk gains a 50% chance to ignore critical or sneak attack damage; the monks unarmed strikes are also considered adamantine for the purpose of bypassing damage reduction.