New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5e] What You are Against the Darkness - the OotS style fan comic

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    On the current comic which ironically isn;t the one posted just above me...
    First, I wondered what this was about.

Then I facepalmed and resolved to check my links more before I post them, if what has been happening repeatedly recently is any example.
    Thanks to Terry576 for the avatar !

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'll be following this, if it's still alive.
    Awesome Pony-Chul by slayerx!
    My computer is on the blink. Posting will be affected.
    The endless wisdom that is my extended signature lies here.
    I have Pokemon!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

(shouting) Tell us what was there!
    [grabs hold of nearest person and shakes wildly.]
    I was wondering how the angel got to the material plane, this means that he can do a heroic sacrifice which I expect will happen.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Post Re: [3.5e] What You are Against the Darkness - the OotS style fan comic

Next comic has been uploaded.

#13: Stationary Bonuses

Now, let's hope the curse that seems to dog my every attempt to post a link here goes away.

As to this comic, I'm building up for what is going to happen in the next few strips, where the story of the past will continue and involve less narration and more moustache'd paladins. Unfortunately, the length limited me (I can make a long strip, it will just be a very long time before it is likely to be seen). I want to finish this so I can go back to the ground where making jokes is easier, but I'm trying not to make it a rush job, which means making a bunch of strips rather than an extremely compressed few.
    Last edited by Lither; 2012-01-28 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Curse strikes again

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

congratulations! this is very good.
    Last edited by AscendantJim; 2012-02-12 at 05:13 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

What? Lither updated twice in less than thirty days?

Surely not.

Anyway, here it is:

#14: Read The Scroll Carefully

It's taking longer to resolve this than I thought.

Any reviews of this so far?
    Last edited by Lither; 2012-02-22 at 05:22 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Umm... i think the current comic is 14 and not telve, but its still comic 12 in its place.
    can you fix it please?
    Despite everything, its still me.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AscendantJim View Post
    congratulations! this is very good.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    Umm... i think the current comic is 14 and not telve, but its still comic 12 in its place.
    can you fix it please?
    Fixed, thanks.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

The black text over the brown background in the first line of panels is hard to read. At least with my contrast settings.

It looks promising, so far I'm liking it. I would say it has the defect of too much text and exposition, though at this phase it's logical the need to put the reader up to speed to the needed lore. For me in some I get the feeling of infodump forced, but while my subconscious tells me there should be something simple that I could say as a help to get it delivered better, I can't consciously put my finger on what is that. But it's to be expected that some infodumping is needed so it's not any major issue.

I think most defects this comic may have so far are a matter of being the start of making them and you'll solve them in time as you get experience. Other defects that may be, I'm not aware of them.

Also I think it's due to the eye position, but I can't help but see the main character as a girl, but then it's a man. Maybe it's intentional because they don't have genders? And what you do is make them look feminine and addressed as males. If so I say very good job. If not, that doesn't turn it into bad job. My impression is that happens because the eyes are too close and either they're too low or the mouth too high for a male character?.

Your not worn helmets ar drawn as if they had no back, btw. If you're using inkscape I'd suggest a little triangleish thing drawn behind with vertices behind the inside borders of the front side wouldn't be hard. (At least I hope!).
    Last edited by Admiral Harkov; 2012-02-22 at 06:59 PM.
    FE Eternity of Darkness:
    Chet Stamsou

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

First of all, thanks for this. I really want to write this better, and it is hard if I don't receive any feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Harkov View Post
    The black text over the brown background in the first line of panels is hard to read. At least with my contrast settings.
    I'm playing around with the colour settings now. I'll see if I can get this more visible.

It looks promising, so far I'm liking it. I would say it has the defect of too much text and exposition, though at this phase it's logical the need to put the reader up to speed to the needed lore. For me in some I get the feeling of infodump forced, but while my subconscious tells me there should be something simple that I could say as a help to get it delivered better, I can't consciously put my finger on what is that. But it's to be expected that some infodumping is needed so it's not any major issue.
    I found the overexposure of text to be something I don't like, either. I've tried to fix it, mostly by shutting Alexander up in the last couple of pages.

The problem is with trying to avoid over saturation of exposition is that about now the exposition is supposed to be occurring to bring the reader up to speed with the piece. I have to tread a fine line now, and I think I'm rather over the "too much" side.

I think most defects this comic may have so far are a matter of being the start of making them and you'll solve them in time as you get experience. Other defects that may be, I'm not aware of them.
    I hope so.

Also I think it's due to the eye position, but I can't help but see the main character as a girl, but then it's a man. Maybe it's intentional because they don't have genders? And what you do is make them look feminine and addressed as males. If so I say very good job. If not, that doesn't turn it into bad job. My impression is that happens because the eyes are too close and either they're too low or the mouth too high for a male character?.
    If you're talking about Alexander, he isn't really the main character. More like a literary foil for Eric and exists mainly to be the butt of most jokes that involve someone getting hurt and to provide the exposition.

The gender thing is also intentional, thanks for noticing.

Your not worn helmets ar drawn as if they had no back, btw. If you're using Inkscape I'd suggest a little triangleish thing drawn behind with vertices behind the inside borders of the front side wouldn't be hard. (At least I hope!).
    I didn't notice that, thanks for pointing it out. I've edited them, and in future they will appear to look like they have a back to them.

Thanks again for taking the time to write this. It has been helpful and much appreciated.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lither
    I have to tread a fine line now, and I think I'm rather over the "too much" side.
    True. I agree there. The possible ill consequences of erring in the too much are less bad than in the too little. I'd rather have a few strips that are exposition heavy and of "heavy" read (I don't know how better to say it, but I'm sure it can be understood easily) than because of not having that, seeing things that either seems gratuitous, deus ex machina, pulled off the author's ass or appear at first glance nonsensical to the world, which are the four main problems I can think right now of the too little option and would be, in my opinion, more serious issues than a little extra text.

Quote Originally Posted by Lither
    The gender thing is also intentional
    Perfect! Exactly as it should be then.
    FE Eternity of Darkness:
    Chet Stamsou

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

*crosses fingers*

Next comic is up.

#15: Crushing Realisation

It's almost resolved now.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

"I hate flying dwarfs. Especially ones that land on you with very little provocation."

Made me laugh .

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

So I took a long thought here, and after having lost my base drawings, and I decided one of the easier ways around this would be to reboot it with a different art style - the one I'm considerably more familiar with now. I could try and go back to OotS style, but I'm interested in how this works out. Characters are also slightly different to how I originally envisaged them to be.

Memories

So a question: what do you think of the rather drastic artistic migration?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground

I like it. It looks like a medieval painting. But it's too small to read anything
    It's BACK!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MethosH View Post
    I like it. It looks like a medieval painting. But it's too small to read anything
    I've been having issues with Photobucket resizing everything and requiring a labyrinthine path to finding the original image, and now it seems it redirect links to the original back to the resized.

Thanks Photobucket.

Memories

Does this one work better?

17. - Top - End - #47

File appears to be missing. Have you tried public folder at dropbox? or even google drive?
    It's BACK!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm trying cutting it in half to prevent it scaling the image down. Maybe this will work - it's working for me (but so did the last two, too).

Memories pt 1
    Memories pt 2

19. - Top - End - #49

I can read them now
    But please keep dropbox or google drive in mind. I think you will have an easier time with them.

Or you can also find the true direct link inside the HTML tag of photobucker -> http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/.../WYATDR1-2.png

Just 2 tips:
    1) Avoid the variation of text size in the same speech bubble.
    2) Try to give enough room in the speech bubbles so it is comfortable to read them.

I'm going to say it again: I like where your art style is going, since it looks so much like medieval art. But since you aren't going for a simple OotS-style you should pay a bit more attention to your background as well
    It's BACK!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MethosH View Post
    I can read them now
    But please keep dropbox or google drive in mind. I think you will have an easier time with them.

Or you can also find the true direct link inside the HTML tag of photobucker -> http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/.../WYATDR1-2.png

Just 2 tips:
    1) Avoid the variation of text size in the same speech bubble.
    2) Try to give enough room in the speech bubbles so it is comfortable to read them.

I'm going to say it again: I like where your art style is going, since it looks so much like medieval art. But since you aren't going for a simple OotS-style you should pay a bit more attention to your background as well
    I've looked at your suggestions and made adjustments accordingly. I have another try at it.

I Think It's Rather Stylish

At this rate I'll definitely have to change the title.
    Last edited by Lither; 2013-11-03 at 05:29 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

All of the links lead to "Sorry, this person has moved or deleted this image" .
    LGBTAI
    (Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transsexual/Transgendered All-Inclusive)

Avatar by myself! No longer accepting avatar requests.

Previous avatar by TinyMushroom. Despite her size, she will forever be the Queen of Mushrooms.

No one gets to tell you who you should be, not even yourself.