New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: I will draw your D&d character.

Quote Originally Posted by conaniscool View Post
    Here's a preview of Iceforge's character, Carrick:

(Haven't drawn the staff yet, and some of the finer details...)

Also, are elven thinblades curved or straight?
    Wow wow wow wow wow........ I dont know if I should be over-come with excitement or jealous to my deepest bone of your talent

Thank you, looks amazing so far

EDIT: Oh, and yes, as someone else said, much like a rapier, designed for piercing strikes rather than slashing the enemy
    Last edited by Iceforge; 2011-05-18 at 07:01 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

You should probably replace the quoted image with the word -snip-
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

Actually, it's within the forum's rules and everything. I guess it might help slower connections load a bit faster, but I doubt it'll be significant.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Actually, it's within the forum's rules and everything. I guess it might help slower connections load a bit faster, but I doubt it'll be significant.
    It's good manners, man woman!

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #65

Eh, most of the time I find it useful to know what the quoter's talking about. For example, if you take away the picture, you don't know which picture he thinks is so good.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Though, you COULD put the picture in spoilers, couldn't you? People don't have to wait for it to load, and you still get the context, right? Everyone's happy?
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

7. - Top - End - #67

Pictures still load in the spoilers. Aside from neatness, it doesn't achieve much.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, most of the time I find it useful to know what the quoter's talking about. For example, if you take away the picture, you don't know which picture he thinks is so good.
    You mean you wouldn't be able to tell which image he thought was good in a post with only one image?

Extended Sig

9. - Top - End - #69

Not unless I clicked on the link to that post specifically to look at the picture that he snipped out, no. As that's much less convenient than having it right there to look at, it doesn't stretch the page, it's not particularly unsightly and it's unlikely to have any particularly significant impact on loading time (as far as I'm aware), I'm not sure what other reason you'd have for snipping the picture.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Not unless I clicked on the link to that post specifically to look at the picture that he snipped out, no. As that's much less convenient than having it right there to look at, it doesn't stretch the page, it's not particularly unsightly and it's unlikely to have any particularly significant impact on loading time (as far as I'm aware), I'm not sure what other reason you'd have for snipping the picture.
    Oh wow. Clicking a link. How inconvenient.

Extended Sig

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Oh wow. Clicking a link. How inconvenient.
    As opposed to loading an image and scrolling past it?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iceforge View Post
    As opposed to loading an image and scrolling past it?
    No, not really =/ It eats up bandwith, if nothing else.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2011-05-18 at 09:55 AM.

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #73
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ugh, I hate to join a bandwagon, I saw this very early but as so many people already had joined in I didn't want to... I'm a bit of a hipster that way I guess.

Anyhow, it's no shame of being way back in the line but I do have a character I'm going to quote here.

Spoiler
    Show
    [QUOTE=Shadowcaller;10432384]
    Cessie Mithar

Full name: Cessie Laurana Mithar

Race/Species: Human

Alignment: Lawful Good

Class/Profession: Wizard

Power Rating: B-

Description: Cessie have like many other Hestopians raven black hair (about shoulder length), blue eyes and fair skin. She's 5 feet and 3 inches (or 160 cm) long and weights about 110 lbs (or 50 kg).
    She have high cheekbones, narrow cheeks, a slender neck and rounded eyebrows of the same color as her hair.
    Having wandered much of her life including the normal types of physical activities for an adventuring wizard she isn't very strong-looking but slender and hardly out of shape.
    She always wears a conservative medieval-fashioned dress of some sort, not showing an inch of skin beyond her hands and part of her neck.

Personality: Having first been raised as the priestess of her family (one to war, one to rule, one to pray, one to pay...) before she discovered her latent magic ability at the age of 14, Cessie is highly conservative in many ways.
    She have a positive outlook of life and often believe the best of everyone but isn't exactly naive.
    Her upbringing have made her strongly believe in laws and that people can be changed for the better without violence.
    Being a wizard, she is also deeply enthusiastic in all-things magical. Curiously trying to understand all the mysteries of the world and learn the limits of her magical ability which she yet have discovered.

Standard Equipment:
    -A small dagger given to her by Aegnor, just in case.
    -Black orb containing the essence of the dead elven god Reoron.
    -Ring of shielding, taken from an slaver, this ring creates a magical shield around it's wearer if attacked by physical means.
    -An powerful artifact which allows one person to enter another's mind.
    -An ink-bottle and a number of goose feathers.
    -A bag of holding she took from WATCHTOWER's armory which now holds all her equipment.
    -A number of extra dresses and clothes.
    -Some books she reads when she got nothing else to do.
    -An engagement ring marking her marriage with Aegnor.
    -A force staff she found in the serpent's gaze hotel which empowers her magic.

Backstory: Way too long to summarize here as it's a two year long campaign including the backstory she had before that and the one between the campaign and the time she came to the Nexus.
    Find out more by talking to her or try to read the wiki.

Miscellaneous: Her brother Arik is in the nexus as well, they both belonging to the ruling family of the empire they are born in.

There we go, last time I requested a image of a character. I waited like 2 years (and I still don't have it!) so any time you can make this in is probably less the time I waited for that image.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2011-05-18 at 10:18 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    No, not really =/ It eats up bandwith, if nothing else.
    If that's your only concern then, as I have said several times, its impact is likely to be minimal at worst, and only on the very slowest of connections - who might like to avoid image-based threads in the first place. Compared to having it right there attached to the relevant response post, yes, it is substantially inconvenient for little meaningful gain.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Photobucket and such sites tend to look sternly on people using their bandwidth 12 times per page with an large image...

16. - Top - End - #76

Some sites do, but my understanding is that Photobucket gives each user an allocated amount of bandwidth and it's up to them how they use it.
    If we were worried about Photobucket's bandwidth concern, then surely we wouldn't host our avatars on them? Mine alone would be on this particular page something approaching a dozen times.

edit: Half a dozen right now, but there's still time.
    In comparison, the image in question has been posted here exactly once. Oh noes! Poor beleagured Photobucket!
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2011-05-18 at 11:25 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Sarcasm won't get you anywhere if it doesn't have teeth. I said large images, file-size. Avatars are usually to small to generate such strain, although I've seen that happen too.
    And the problem when people start quoting your images is that you effectively lose control over your bandwidth. You decide to show your avatar at every post, but would you be as happy if I put 4 of them in my signature to load at every post of mine* and in addition started to post in the Oots-discussion thread?

*against the rules without permission, but would emulate people quoting your popular avatar.

Its just being considerate to others, I would get irritated if I ran out of bandwidth due to people quoting my images (I've seen it happen quite a few times for others) - so I don't do it to others.
    Last edited by Elder Tsofu; 2011-05-18 at 11:49 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

If that's your only concern then, as I have said several times, its impact is likely to be minimal at worst, and only on the very slowest of connections - who might like to avoid image-based threads in the first place. Compared to having it right there attached to the relevant response post, yes, it is substantially inconvenient for little meaningful gain.
    Certain image hosting sites only allow an image to be loaded so many times in so short a space of time. Photobucket, for example. *points at image's url* And as i said it's rude.

... This was supposed to post an hour ago, wtf?
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2011-05-18 at 12:19 PM.

Extended Sig

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Conaniscool, simply fantastic to put it simply. Keep up the great work. I can't wait to see more.

As for the quoting images conversation. I'm not going to continue it by adding my opinion. This discussion is not what this thread is for. So... yeah.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Halfling in the Playground

OOps, sorry 'bout the not puttin' stuff in spoiler thingies thing. I'll be sure to do that in the future.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by conaniscool View Post
    OOps, sorry 'bout the not puttin' stuff in spoiler thingies thing. I'll be sure to do that in the future.
    Oh no. That's really no problem at all. At least from my perspective. The thread is here to show your artwork. There is no reason for you to have to hide it in a spoiler. What people have been talking about is when others quote your images.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

There's some good stuff there, nice work! (I won't ask for more, you have enough already. Anyway, I tend to build characters inspired by pictures, rather than have pictures drawn for character ideas.)

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Don't you know? The better an artist is, the more they become like superheroes.
    I've been artin' for years now and I haven't even gotten a fraction of superspeed! Who do I have to speak to for these powers, I'm clearly getting ripped off.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Otherworld Odd View Post
    I've been artin' for years now and I haven't even gotten a fraction of superspeed! Who do I have to speak to for these powers, I'm clearly getting ripped off.
    Sadly, we can't all be the Flash. Some of us end up as Green Arrow or Batman.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Sadly, we can't all be the Flash. Some of us end up as Green Arrow or Batman.
    Wwwwhhhhhhhuuut O____o I don't even gots those!!!!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Very good art, available for free? Yes, please!

Right now, what I most want a picture of is Diogenes, my current Shadowrun character. He's a dwarven hacker at the elder end of middle-aged, always dressed in an elegant but slightly rumpled white suit, and he has bits of multicolored string dangling from all of his fingers (his vain attempts to remind himself of various things he needs to remember). Graying hair, with a half-hearted (or half-finished) attempt to bring it in line. He's got a large amount of cybernetics, but they're all high-quality and relatively subtle--more a suggestion that something's not quite right than a blatant shadowrun-cyborg look. He's an absent-minded but kind-hearted grandfatherly type, not senile exactly but new to shadowrunning and kind of lost, and I'd like him drawn with that expression you get when there's something on the tip of your tongue that you can't quite bring to mind. I always picture him with a few poorly-concealed gadgets or weapons poking out of pockets or various folds of his clothing I haven't put all that much thought into his appearance yet, so I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. I could post his backstory here if that'd be helpful, or you can find it at [shameless plug]the campaign journal, to be updated with our meeting with the Johnson in a day or three[/shameless plug].

Anyhow, thanks in advance for offering your talents to the Playground, and good luck as the requests keep pouring in.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

I am greatly impressed. I wish I had at least a rank or two in Craft (Art).

Well, given the number of requests you already have, I doubt that adding one more to the pile will be that much of a problem. As such, I'd like to request one as well. Namely, a non-oots version of my current avatar. I managed to find my original request and have reposted it below

...a young man with brown eyes and hair as well. He wears a mithral chainshirt and wields a Longsword and Composite Longbow. He has a belt, bracers, gloves, a set of holsters on said belt for vials (most likely containing poison), and lastly a pack of some sort to carry the rest of his gear.
    His name is Roath and he is effectively the Chuck Norris of my game-world. He always has a stern, somewhat disapproving look when interacting with the players. In combat he's dead serious and scary.

The most spectacular thing he's done was jumping onto the back of an Old Red Dragon that was diving for him, stabbing his longsword into its head after it swooped back up, then pulling the sword hard to the left to direct it into a whole swath of enemy troops where it proceeded to crash, causing much devestation. Then he stood up, brushed himself off, and re-entered the conflict.

Don't know if it would be better to do a still like my current avatar, or do an action scene, perhaps involving the aforementioned stunt. Whatever works for you. And no hard feelings if you don't get to it. You certainly have enough on your plate. Best of luck.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

28. - Top - End - #88
    Banned

Thanks for making yourself available, and looking at Iceforge's commission you deserve the praise you're getting.

---

Lord Keiji Yomogi was born of a dark elf father and human mother thirty-two years ago. He is five feet and eleven inches tall, and weighs one hundred and sixty pounds, with very little body fat. He has white hair, which he keeps knotted in a topknot. His eyebrows are white, and thick for an elf. He wears a white van dyke beard reminiscent of Anthony Ainley's (actually Ainley's Master is a pretty good fit as far as face and body type go, just not so much receding hair line). His eyes are a dark maroon. His nose not prominent, but is thin, as are his lips. He rarely smiles; instead the corners of his mouth droop and his brow bears the creases of constant furrowing, the consequence of great and ongoing anxiety. He grew the beard partly to hide this.

Lord Keiji's normal dress is based off a very dark grey kimono with black trim. Over this he wears a dark yellow obi, which is then mostly covered by a hakama pattered black and dark red (with black predominating). Over the whole thing he wears a black haori with dark red trimming, which falls to thigh length. On his feet he wears black tabi and dark leather zori. He bears two fine-looking katanas, suspended from his left hip and a dagger on his right hip. The dagger's tip is oddly barbed, its blade is quite thick, and its pommel looks like a funnel designed to fit over the top of a waterskin. He wears two rings on his right hand, one on the middle finger bearing a diamond, one on the ring finger bearing a ruby. He bears a Runestaff of Opening in his left hand. Around his neck he wears two jade charms each about four inches long, secured on leather thongs.

Lord Keiji is a powerful sorcerer, and spends much of his time in flight. Much of his magical repertoire is abjuration and conjuration-focused, though he focuses more on banishing than summoning. Other tactics he favors are locking opponents down with conjured tentacles and hitting them with multiple Wings of Flurry spells before they can escape. Despite his cares, he is able to inspire people when he needs to: he was granted his current lands as a reward for successfully helping to evacuate the town he headed when it was faced with a threat far beyond its capacity to defend itself, and for helping lead his lady's campaign to secure the rights to a disputed province.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2011-05-18 at 09:49 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Wow, these look great so far!

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow... Amazing. Well i have no D&D character myself, but i have a friend who plays D&D, is it okay if i ask you to draw him? I know it is a half-giant psyonic warrior, with half plate and some twohanded hammer, (needs to ask him the details).
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature