New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: I will draw your D&d character.

“You blocks, you stones, you worse than senseless things!
    O you hard hearts, you cruel men of Rome,
    Knew you not Pompey?”
    “But he had not that supreme gift of the artist, the knowledge of when to stop.”

—Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, “The Adventure of the Norwood Builder” in The Return of Sherlock Holmes.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    Isn't Pompey a city, too? destroyed by a vulcano?

Either way I like the Pictures you draw.
    I would ask you if you could sum up all Pictures in the first post conaniscool, please. Or a link to each so newcomers finde them faster since we reached page 7 already here.
    I think it's enough that he's drawing them for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ajadea View Post
    It's Pompeii, with two i's. And specifically, Pompeii was destroyed when Mount Vesuvius erupted.
    To be fair, there are some grounds for confusion. "Pompeii" with two "i"s could very well be the Latin possessive (aka "genitive") of "Pompeius," the family name of the Roman general Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus (to whom Marullus in the Shakespeare quote is referring), usually rendered in English as "Pompey the Great"; thus the city's name might have originally been intended to mean "[city] of the Pompey family" or the like. No doubt the Giant was having fun with the inevitable confusion between the two.

(Yeah, I know -- but I'm working toward the title of "Insufferable Know-It-All in the Playground.")

On topic -- I can hardly wait for the next bit of CIC's art-work. I'll probably jump on the bandwagon before too long and clamor for one of my characters to be drawn, but for now I think I'll just revel in the D&D art-splendor.
    Last edited by Tannhaeuser; 2011-05-31 at 03:42 AM.
    “But he had not that supreme gift of the artist, the knowledge of when to stop.”

—Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, “The Adventure of the Norwood Builder” in The Return of Sherlock Holmes.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    Isn't Pompey a city, too? destroyed by a vulcano?

Just kidding.

To be fair, there are some grounds for confusion. "Pompeii" with two "i"s could very well be the Latin possessive (aka "genitive") of "Pompeius," the family name of the Roman general Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus (to whom Marullus in the Shakespeare quote is referring), usually rendered in English as "Pompey the Great"; thus the city's name might have originally been intended to mean "[city] of the Pompey family" or the like. No doubt the Giant was having fun with the inevitable confusion between the two.

(Yeah, I know -- but I'm working toward the title of "Insufferable Know-It-All in the Playground.")
    It's a bit of an haphazard theory, considering that Gnaeus Pompeius' family apparently hailed from an entirely different region of the peninsula; Pompeii was a very old city, although it's not known how old exactly. Possibly as much as Roma itself - anyway it was a federated city and not de facto part to the Roman Republic till 80 BC when Sulla annexed it.
    And Pompeius was born by then.
    The Pen is mightier than the Sword - when the message is written in Blood.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    And Pompeius was born by then.
    Yeah, Wikipedia mentions that it might have been named from an old Oscan word meaning "five" as well -- but there is always the possiblity that folk-etymology had already confused the two names, or even that deliberate political tweaking (of the "St. Petersburg/Petrograd" variety) was going on. The town was definitely not named for Pompey the Great, of course; as you rightly point out, he hadn't even been born yet. Still, it is possible that the average Roman schlub thought that it had been named for the family, and that might have affected the formation of the name.

Ack, I hope this doesn't end up in Conan Is Cool drawing ancient Roman generals being smothered in lava -- or do I? That would be pretty awesome, actually.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

It's Pompeii, with two i's. And specifically, Pompeii was destroyed when Mount Vesuvius erupted.
    and despite me knowing this part of history very well i only get the joke now.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Conaniscool - your work is absolutely amazing. I love the level of detail and the shading. Very impressive! I didn't catch if you have an account at DeviantArt.com, but if you do, I imagine it has quite the following.

If I may, I'd like to present my own character for the distant future when you work your way through the long list of people clamoring for portraits ahead of me.

Here is my favorite character, based off my daydreams and dozens of short stories. He is shamelessly based on an idealized version of myself, and most of his adventures and encounters are allegorical versions of my real-world experiences. Happily, I've gotten to play him in a few games.

Orion the Perelandron
    Male Human, Early 30s
    Height - 193 cm (6'-4")
    Weight - 95 kg (210 lbs)
    Body Type - a swimmer's build - broad, strong shoulders with good muscle definition, but otherwise not overly bulky. Obviously athletic and powerful, but not scary huge.
    Face - Looks like a more idealized version of me. If you want a celebrity comparison, I'm told I vaguely resemble Mark Harmon when he was younger. Chesnut brown hair, Blue eyes, and laugh lines around the eyes. There is a horizontal scar where Orion's neck meets his chest, about half the width of his neck, and he has faint scars on his arms and legs, as well as his left cheek.
    Armor - A short-sleeved tunic made from dragon scales. I generally picture them as mixed scales from blue and green dragons. There are larger scales over the upper chest and shoulders, with smaller scales along the ribs and abdomen for flexibility. He wears shinguards and vambraces made from mithral etched with tree patterns.
    Clothes & Accessories - Wears a gold braided wedding ring, as well as a wolf's head silver torc and a mithral leaf-patterned circlet inset with sapphires. He wears hide trousers, stained to complement his armor, as well as half-calf height boots that are very dark brown.
    Equipment - He wears broad belt with many pouches, and carries a long hunting knife and a drinking horn at his hip. He has a well-worn leather backpack, but that need not be showing in the portrait.
    Weapons - Orion only has one weapon that matters - a beautiful hand-and-a-half sword (bastard sword) given to him by a faery queen (a nymph, if that matters). The sword is quite long - a full meter of blade, and another 30 cm from hilt to pommel. The blade itself is engraved with faery runes and glows a soft blue under moonlight. It does not look like a sword made by humans; there was definitely an immortal smith at work who made the weapon to be as beautiful as it is functional.
    Orion also has a folding longbow and a quiver of arrows, but he normally puts his bow to work when he is hunting dinner or picking off vermin.
    Bearing - Orion is a protector and a guide, and when he's not in the middle of a fight he is generally seen with an open and welcoming stance. His face is friendly and usually smiling, though it is clear from his weary eyes and scarred limbs that he has weathered countless battles.
    Setting - Orion is a defender of the wilderness, and an adopted son of the faery kingdom. He is generally found in the massive temperate rainforest that he rules over.
    Character Class - Essentially a Spirit Shaman / Sublime Ranger gish (similar to Jade Phoenix Mage, but with nature magic). Orion's favored enemies are Giants, Demons and Aberrations.
    Last edited by OverdrivePrime; 2011-06-01 at 03:00 PM.
    Homebrew World: Daera - high fantasy setting on a world without humans
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    If the world was a Hollywood movie, Overdrive would be the protagonist.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

OverdrivePrime, just wanted to say that I'm currently hating you. Now I must get one of those darn expensive but oh so sweet bags.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh. Thanks... that's my fantasy persona though - I'm still craving a bag from Saddleback myself! Maybe for Christmas this year - I have a $25 gift certificate, but that doesn't really get you anything on that website. I've been hinting around plenty, maybe my wife will surprise me.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OverdrivePrime View Post
    Weapons - Orion only has one weapon that matters - a beautiful hand-and-a-half sword (bastard sword) given to him by a faery queen (a nymph, if that matters). The sword is quite long - a full meter of blade, and another 30 cm from hilt to pommel.
    A meter is really not that long for a sword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

A meter's like half the height of his character. Plus, he specified an extra 30 cm for the hilt. It's long enough.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard View Post
    A meter's like half the height of his character. Plus, he specified an extra 30 cm for the hilt. It's long enough.
    Oh, certainly. Longer than average, even.
    Last edited by Flame of Anor; 2011-06-04 at 05:00 AM.
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Too bad Pompey wasn't destroyed when Mount Vaarsuvius erupted.

I await the next artpiece to gaze upon. :)
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

I concur.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Posting up my character in the off-chance you ever find time for him :P

Animus
    Race: Tiefling (4e style)
    Class: Psion
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: ~160-170 lb
    Characterization: Merchant prince in self-exile from his father's enemies that has recently deigned to bounty hunting out of necessity. A vain, arrogant, spoiled, amoral thug with considerable psychic, particularly telepathic power. In spite of his haughty, naked arrogance, he nonetheless manages to remain archetypically calm, collected and cool; a requirement for using his powers in an effective manner. Mentioned as it might help you depict him.

Accessories: Nearly always accompanied by his shaped consciousness; a glowing fragment of his mental essence made manifest, which typically takes on his idealized likeness.

Often adorned in ostentatious finery and ornate clothing and armour which is predominantly black leather with silver metal highlights featuring the occasional inset ruby.

He is inseparable from his implement; a large crystalline, glowing orb that contains patterns of swirling black and deep blood red, like ink clouds suspended within a liquid medium. The orb levitates in place between his hands, red-black bolts of psychic energy arcing between his palms and the sphere when it is not thrust towards an opponent.

Appearance: Has dark, blood red skin. Medium, lightly muscled build. Short silver hair. Often manifests a roiling black/blood red horizontal halo and eye glow when manifesting his psionic powers. Facially he has a handsome, refined, almost 'pretty boy' appearance (see reference). The colouration of this halo closely resembles that of his crystal orb. Short, albeit prominent curved horns in the style of a 4th ed tiefling top his head. Often seen with his arms smugly crossed, along with a condescending smirk.

References:

Animus (no horns; couldn't find any which were suitable):
    Spoiler
    Show

Shaped Consciousness (colouration ideally black/red):
    Spoiler
    Show

4e Tiefling:
    Spoiler
    Show

Crystal Orb:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Similar to this, but with black and deep blood red clouds shifting, mixing and roiling like ink suspended in fluid.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Love the work, wish I had developed my talent.

This is my most famous character of whom I am writting a book of his first campaign currently.

Samuel Tallenmoore

Current Stats
    Strength 38
    Dexterity 25
    Constitution -
    Intelligence 36
    Wisdom 34
    Charisma 38

He is was a Human that became a Silver Dragon and later took on the Lich template. He was originally a fighter, became a necromancer and then the dragon/lich thing came into play. He is roughly 5' 11" with fair skin and he appears as such with his shape changing ability. He has green eyes with flecks of silver and brown hair with silver highlights. The hair is mid-length for a man and usually parted in the center. He wears a charcoal vest and slacks and a dark blue collared shirt. He also wears a charcoal cloak. He would have an insignia of Mystra on his vest above his heart as he is also a Chosen of Mystra and an Oracle. Also he carries a staff of Epic Necromancy

His build is slightly athletic and trim. He wears black boots with silver trim. His item of note is a longsword at his side with a jewel encrusted hilt and rune covered sheath. If i had to give a celebrity that he might resemble i would say a 20-something Jeremy Irons.

The character is the current archmage in his area which is the largest kingdom on his continent. He has access to all of the fineries of noble life and is known to have faced down a balor and a divinely gifted vampire, which he did with hiw two companions, a human cleric turned angle and a human thief turned shadow lord.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rogar Stonekeep

Human Male Fighter level 16

Height: 7 "2"

Weight: 225

Looks: broad shoulders, beefy arms, and an otherwise fit body. Long red hair, green eyes, and a scar down the right side of his face.

Armor: dark green full plate with lime colored trim, a spike on the left shoulder, and the symbol of Kord on the front

Weapons: Great Sword ( you can use this as a reference ). a few vials of alchemist fire.

Accessories: a flame tattoo that starts where the neck meets the shoulder and ends on the back of his left hand. mithral beads entwined in his hair.

so essentially my avatar only not so simplified
    Last edited by aart lover; 2011-06-16 at 11:02 AM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Wow… that is some majorly impressive artwork! I realize you have a lot of requests, but I reckon a chance at a picture like that is worth taking. Very considerate of you!

Comedy/Tragedy
    Female theatric bard, tall and thin, with long, straight black hair and pale skin. Facial features depend- described later. Outfit is typically a dark grey robe-like cloak, either hooded or not, of coarse material in place of the normal gaudy bard colors. Clothing underneath is dark, baggy, and non-revealing. Most often seen wearing a white theater mask, either comedic or tragic.

Com and Traj are actually two entities in the same body- if you're to believe them, the embodiments of theatrical comedy and tragedy. If you don't, they're a street-performer with delusions of grandeur.

Comedy is manic, energetic, and particularly fond of scathing insults or elaborate practical jokes. She's constantly moving, grinning, and talking, singing, or teasing. She is inspired primarily by Gilbert and Sullivan plays, with a little influence from "Punch and Judy." Her facial features, while lean, are softened by a grin.

Tragedy is meditative, reserved, and inclined towards philosophical musings or orations. She moves deliberately, and doesn't betray much motion beneath her cloak. Open emotion is generally reserved for acting characters in a play, but she will draw herself into an imposing cool anger when intimidating somebody. She is inspired by Shakespearean tragedies, with some elements of Greek tragedies included. Her somber expression makes her high cheekbones more pronounced.

The mask is a white theater mask that changes expression to suit which personality is out. Their eyes and other facial features are not visible through any holes in the mask. Alternatively, the mask's features may simply be painted on inset regions in black.

Feel free to draw Comedy or Tragedy, I would be happy with either. They rarely get involved in combat, but use a rapier because of familiarity with stage fighting. I have a lot of refs of them in their original canine form and modern human (at the bottom). You're welcome to pull mask details from any of the versions, and free to draw them in an acting role or something else you think fits.

I've also included the best modern human reference, Tragedy playing Lady Macbeth and holding her mask. (Large image.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Have a nice day!

19. - Top - End - #229
    Firbolg in the Playground

If you don't mind I have a character I'd like you to draw.
    Spoiler
    Show

Feron

Murderer Male Binder (Keran Binder not Tome Of Magic) level 2

Height:5'2

Weight: 102 lb.

Looks: He stands at about 5'2, a little above average for his race. His eyes are the same color as his feathers, blue under the correct light, but everywhere else black as night. When looked upon it obvious he is always thinking, sometimes scheming.

Armor: Black Robe

Weapons: Light Crossbow

Other: If you can I would like him standing on runic circle with a golden dog at his side.

Also please read the physical description of the race as it is homebrew. Also the class is different from the tome of magic class of the sme name.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2011-07-14 at 06:05 PM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

*wonders if conaniscool is still alive*

21. - Top - End - #231
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    *wonders if conaniscool is still alive*
    seconded..

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

We probably overwhelmed him with requests, so he bowed out.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    We probably overwhelmed him with requests, so he bowed out.
    but still, not even a " hey guys, this is just getting to be too much so i won't be doing anymore requests"? i understand if that's the case, but he should at least let people know.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Some people feel that would be a betrayal of trust when he agreed to do it in the first place - You can't honestly tell me you haven't met someone who's done something stupid because he agreed to do it and didn't want to go back on his word. So the solution? Since it's an online community, just cut ties, maybe sign up with a different user account. It's sad, but unfortunately common.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Colossus in the Playground

I suspect Harnel, he's far too sympathetic =.=
    Git 'im!

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh. Sorry for the hojillion requests, ConanIsCool! :)

At the very least, this thread got me to get off my bum and write up the Perelandron prestige class for my guy. (Shameless plug!)

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Well, if you ever feel like getting around to him: Rathe Darkharrow
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    Some people feel that would be a betrayal of trust when he agreed to do it in the first place - You can't honestly tell me you haven't met someone who's done something stupid because he agreed to do it and didn't want to go back on his word. So the solution? Since it's an online community, just cut ties, maybe sign up with a different user account. It's sad, but unfortunately common.
    indeed...different user account indeed...
    Last edited by aart lover; 2011-06-27 at 11:58 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think so, he last logged in two days ago. He might just be avoiding the thread due to the aforementioned overswamping of requests.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Well, it's up to them to do however much art they feel like. If they've got enough good portfolio pieces, that's that. I really didn't expect them to reach mine, and posted with that understanding.