New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Bibliography IV

1. - Top - End - #931
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Bibliography IV

I think joining a codex might be tradition in some families, but not in others. Someone who's ancestors have been in the werewolf codex for centuries might be disowned if they joined a different codex, whereas other families dont have a specific allegiance and let their kids join whatever they like.

I doubt codex powers are genetic, but being raised by members of a codex would probably make you more likely to be compatible with the codex - mainly because of beliefs, values and behaviors passed on to you.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Cultist View Post
    I think joining a codex might be tradition in some families, but not in others. Someone who's ancestors have been in the werewolf codex for centuries might be disowned if they joined a different codex, whereas other families dont have a specific allegiance and let their kids join whatever they like.
    Interesting... A lot of pages seem to have last names that fit with their codices; I like the theory.

I doubt codex powers are genetic, but being raised by members of a codex would probably make you more likely to be compatible with the codex - mainly because of beliefs, values and behaviors passed on to you.
    Now, this makes sense. However, if there is a codex with genetically passed on traits...
    Hmm, now I'm wondering, since becoming a page implants a bit of an aura in you... Well, first, in a normal situation, would a kid's aura resemble his parents? So, would a page pass on a part of their altered aura to their kids? If so, would the kid be a page, or just be much more likely to be compatible? If two pages from different codices had a kid, what would it's aura be like? what would happen if a kid who's parents are from one codex joins a different one? How would any of this affect descent?

Arg, I need to stop asking questions no-one but the author has the answers to, and just wait patiently for them to be answered.

But I guess writing lists of questions... Is similar to what Ben did to Eve. And I can emphasize with his book reading. he wouldn't be based off of me, would he? JK, don't know you, he couldn't be.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Cultist View Post

I think that children echoing the codice of their parents is more of a human psychology thing than a blood relation thing.

Think about it: a child tends to have similar, even identical, views as the parents they were raised by. How many times as a kid did you do things (or not) because your parents said they were ok (or weren't). (Teenage years don't count in Eve's case) The Codice tend to choose pages based on personality traits (at least from what we've seen so far) so it makes sense that someone with similar personality traits would also become a page.

Alternatively, it's because of Aura.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

4. - Top - End - #934

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I think that children echoing the codice of their parents is more of a human psychology thing than a blood relation thing.

Think about it: a child tends to have similar, even identical, views as the parents they were raised by. How many times as a kid did you do things (or not) because your parents said they were ok (or weren't). (Teenage years don't count in Eve's case) The Codice tend to choose pages based on personality traits (at least from what we've seen so far) so it makes sense that someone with similar personality traits would also become a page.

Alternatively, it's because of Aura.
    That's pretty much what I meant. since there have been child pages in the series, alot of them probably join their parents codex when they're young. since kids mainly follow the values and beliefs of their parents, they would probably be compatible with their parent's codex.

Spoiler
    Show

Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Banned

Is there any theory on what Ben's extra sigil will do for him?

6. - Top - End - #936
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Is there any theory on what Ben's extra sigil will do for him?
    Dozens.

Extended Sig

7. - Top - End - #937
    Ogre in the Playground

My first thought is that it will fuse with the first, and unlock the second slot.

My second thought is that it might be another book, called "Dictionary". I'm not sure what it might be for, but it might allow him to use variant spells, or something. I'm... guessing.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #938
    Firbolg in the Playground

Obviously, the sigil will grow little legs, crawl over him at night when he sleeps, and drain his soul from his breath, leaving behind a soulless husk that will do the sigil's nefarious bidding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

9. - Top - End - #939

I more think the secound won is a pen or something. So Ben can write spells into the Bibliography ^^.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Bibliography IV

It could be a bookmark that stuns people! Or maybe a new pair of sarcasm-proof glasses!

On the topic of children with supernatural powers, I wonder if there are any children in Tiltstone with WBWs? Or if it's even possible to have them work when your Aura is too young? This requires investigation!

*Tries to break the laws of physics and enter computer screen*
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    If you work this out, you had BETTER tell me how.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    It could be a bookmark that stuns people! Or maybe a new pair of sarcasm-proof glasses!

On the topic of children with supernatural powers, I wonder if there are any children in Tiltstone with WBWs? Or if it's even possible to have them work when your Aura is too young? This requires investigation!

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    .... Oh lord, Keveak, what have you done

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #943
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd just make sure you turn off your antivirus before you try. We don't know WHAT the computer might think of you.

Oh, yes, and if you manage it, make sure you have a way back out to tell us how. Try tying a rope around your waist?

Although if you do get through, I'd bet you were a page already, since that sounds kinda page-y.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #944
    Barbarian in the Playground

I clicked "reply" instinctively before I even had anything to say. I guess this conversation is right up my alley.

Okay, let's see... Haiku!
    Inside the computer
    Cannot surf or shoot trouble
    Guess they're metaphors

15. - Top - End - #945

I'm sorry for the massive delay again, but there's been a sticky situation over at GaijinManga at the moment. I haven't been paid for about three months now for my work on it, and I'm not sure at this period if it's good for me to continue.

I mean, technically GaijinManga does own the copyright to my work, and I'm sort of a paid employee at the moment. It hurts me a little bit, but I guess I'm pulling a sort of strike at the moment? I'm not used to thinking in corporate terms.

Anyway, I guess I'll be taking a break from Bibliography for the time being. It doesn't mean that I'm not drawing manga, however! I have a side project lined up at the moment, and if things don't work out soon I'll probably get started on that.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Troll in the Playground

I hope the situation will be straightened out. I've already seen a great comics killed through corporate copyright (Hero by Night) and I would never want to see it happen again.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

17. - Top - End - #947

Hope that gets straitened out. What about your Terraria Comic?

Countdown to the zombie Apocalypse: braaaaaaains.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow that sucks. I hope things work out; I would hate for Bibliography to be strangled to death by corporate A-Holes.
    Last edited by Sanguine; 2011-11-22 at 11:06 PM.

19. - Top - End - #949

Your loyal fans shall support you Elagune. We can't really do all that much, but its the thought that counts.

Spoiler
    Show

Or something.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Banned

Y'know, from a fan's standpoint, there's really no reason for your work to be lumped with all the other junk Gaijinmanga puts up. Maybe I'm naive, but it seems like you shouldn't be giving up possession of your work to those guys. They need you way more than you need them.

21. - Top - End - #951

If nothing else, and you think you are going to part anyway, could you ask for the rights to all your Biblography works as back-payment? I don't know, and they have people who are employed to work this stuff out, but it may be your best bet to continue your work.

22. - Top - End - #952

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Y'know, from a fan's standpoint, there's really no reason for your work to be lumped with all the other junk Gaijinmanga puts up. Maybe I'm naive, but it seems like you shouldn't be giving up possession of your work to those guys. They need you way more than you need them.
    I don't think you are being fair to Bloodstained and Wild Cards. While they are not quite as good as Bibliography they are quite decent, and also on hiatus. Everything else is junk though.

23. - Top - End - #953

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

For the time being, I'm working on Thaumaturge while waiting for Gaijinmanga to get back in contact with me. There isn't much at the moment, but I hope you enjoy.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Bibliography IV

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Don't worry, I will get into all your PM boxes anyway.

Mail pranks would be hilarious from the web. :3

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    .... Oh lord, Keveak, what have you done
    Lord Keveak, I like that title.

All I need is to conquer something that I can be Lord of, but what?

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    I'd just make sure you turn off your antivirus before you try. We don't know WHAT the computer might think of you.

Oh, yes, and if you manage it, make sure you have a way back out to tell us how. Try tying a rope around your waist?

Although if you do get through, I'd bet you were a page already, since that sounds kinda page-y.
    Don't worry! I already tied a rope around my waist! And to be extra sure, I tied to other end to my wrist! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Elagune View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement guys.

For the time being, I'm working on Thaumaturge while waiting for Gaijinmanga to get back in contact with me. There isn't much at the moment, but I hope you enjoy.
    Oww, my free time. It is dead.

Really hope everything turns out all right, by the way. Copyright problems are never fun.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

25. - Top - End - #955
    Pixie in the Playground

Thaumaturge is very cool stuff, though I must admit to going slightly insane with the impromptu cliffhanger on Bibliography. Any news?

Some of the best art I've seen (better than a lot of professional Mangaka!) and a cracking story to boot. Keep it up!

26. - Top - End - #956

Quote Originally Posted by mdkc View Post
    Thaumaturge is very cool stuff, though I must admit to going slightly insane with the impromptu cliffhanger on Bibliography. Any news?

Some of the best art I've seen (better than a lot of professional Mangaka!) and a cracking story to boot. Keep it up!
    I support this.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Titan in the Playground

I've been talking to Elagune about it, and it seems like he may be close to getting the issue resolved. That's all I'll say.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

28. - Top - End - #958

Let's see... I figure it's about time that I explain what's going on here.

It's true that Bibliography is in a bit of a legal snarl at the moment, but it's also given me time to reflect upon the work as a whole and what I want from it. What I've discovered is that Bibliography is getting further and further away from what I wanted it to be.

Bibliography was something I started when the GaijinManga guys came to me for a comic that they would like to put on their site. The first premise of the story was very similar to a lot of other stories, taking inspiration from Melty Blood, Vampire: The Masquerade, and similar stories about vampires in the city. Ben was supposed to have a gun for a weapon, and rather than being derived from werewolves and prophets, Eve and Tony were simply from different clans of vampires, and Roy was merely a started villain instead of integral to the plot. I found this too derivative and boring, and so I switched to the Pages we see now.

One Piece went through several versions before ever being released, and was planned out far, far in advance. This was something that I didn't do, and it started coming to haunt me later on. The idea of Sigils versus Pages was something I found cool, but the more I continued on with the story the more I realized that Sigils were unnecessary and that Pages were much cooler. So many things that I could've changed had I actually taken the time to think about it. There were characters, too, that were inserted when necessary yet I didn't have the chance to plot out beforehand, and dangling plots and characters that I planned to make a difference yet never got their chance to shine.

I might not be making a lot of sense here... If that's so, I'm sorry. But there's been a sense of dissatisfaction with Bibliography on my end for the longest time, and it's not because I don't like it. I really do like it, the idea and the mood, but it's getting further and further away from me, and it's mostly due to my skill. Completely unhappy with how I was drawing characters and backgrounds, I kept experimenting with the art, making each page look different from another and incohesive as a whole. Inability to trust in my own plots, I would add in other hooks if I thought my main one was weak. My skills could not live up to my own vision about Bibliography.

I know this must feel like a sucker-punch. I hate betraying my fans' expectations. Bibliography was my first comic that I got more than 10 pages out of, and I'm really happy about that. I made a lot of mistakes during the course of it, but that's just part of the learning experience, and I'm taking these lessons to heart as I continue to work on more and more comics.

I'm really sorry about leaving it on cliffhanger like this, but Bibliography, as I'm sure most of you have seen coming by now, is on an indefinite hiatus. I will come back to Bibliography in the future, but chances are it'll be a complete reboot.

If you guys have any questions about anything Bibliography related, from future plots to anything miscellaneous, please go ahead and ask. I've already answered a lot of questions from Silverraptor.

Hoping this post makes sense - it was very stream-of-consciousness.
    Last edited by Elagune; 2012-03-01 at 07:04 PM.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Banned

This is great news.

Okay the indefinite hiatus sucks, but the rest of it mirrors my own experiences in writing as I simply cobbled together whatever struck my fancy at the time, not really thinking through even the implications of my writing. So to see you being so blunt and honest shows a tremendous level of growth within your art. It really shows with Thaumaturge despite there not being much content at the moment; everything seems much more focused. The art is unified, the characters have more depth and the setting is much broader. Even the plot is far better constructed: as narratively, Thaumaturge is in roughly the same place after much less content as Bibliography is now.

So you know Elagune; take the time you need with Bibliography, I can wait. Though at the very least, please include the characters you let other people design. I would hate for someone to accurately label you an oathbreaker.

30. - Top - End - #960

Hmm... gotta admit from the audience side most of the issues, particularly the plot problems are not at all apparent. As for the sigils vs page issue I can see where you are coming from though I think most of the sigils we have seen so far are quite cool. If you feel dissatisfied with them I can see a few options for doing this:
    1: Scrap them entirely. Pretty self explanatory, make them all pages all the time. Would require a major rebuilding though. Also might end up Dening Ben his current unique status as a bridge between worlds.
    2: Make them more distinct. The Big Ham switches back to the Ax. All Sigils encountered from now on will be more utilitarian, in keeping with their status as weapons, but will still be awesome. Make a list of things Sigils can do that Codex's can't and vice versa. This will have the advantage of making Ben's codex more distinct as the intersection of pages and Sigil users.
    Got a few more idea's that I'm going to post shortly but for now I'd just recommend going to talk to the people over at fantasy comic portal a forum for fantasy webcomic creators that currently has 33 authors who might be able to give you better advice then I could.
    Last edited by blackjack217; 2012-03-01 at 08:03 PM.