New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion V: Our Armies are Pants

Quote Originally Posted by a_humble_lich View Post
    The torc is made of all five magical materials. If they want to make them for the party they will need a source of starmetal etc.
    If the PCs, who are (currently) loyalist Infernals actively working toward the Reclamation cannot requisition a single ounce of starmetal from the bloated coffers of Hell itself to aid in coordinating their efforts, there's some problems.

Or, he could use Principle-Invoking Onslaught on a blood-ape (to whom he is effectively one of the Unquestionable) to transmute it into a single grain of starmetal, rinse and repeat until he has the amount he needs.

It is not at all clear to me that it can be used to communicate outside of Creation.
    True, but a player could easily interject that it doesn't say that it can't. No, it's just plain problematic.

There are several other terrestrial circle spells that could give you limited instantaneous communication: Spoke the Wooden Face, Written upon the Water, Blood Mirror Speech.
    Spoke the Wooden Face is limited to Creation, and is centered on a tree; Written Upon the Water waits until the target looks at a liquid surface before giving the message, and is limited to Creation to boot; Blood Mirror Speech isn't limited to Creation, but waits until the target looks at a mirror before giving the message.

Point being, instantaneous interplanar messaging seems to be a little more high-end even than Terrestrial Circle Sorcery.

With that said, I agree two dots seems low.
    Agreed, but what amount is appropriate?
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2011-05-30 at 06:44 AM.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    If the PCs, who are (currently) loyalist Infernals actively working toward the Reclamation cannot requisition a single ounce of starmetal from the bloated coffers of Hell itself to aid in coordinating their efforts, there's some problems.

Or, he could use Principle-Invoking Onslaught on a blood-ape (to whom he is effectively one of the Unquestionable) to transmute it into a single grain of starmetal, rinse and repeat until he has the amount he needs.
    or he could just use it on a random rock, no reason to vaste a blood-ape.

Spoke the Wooden Face is limited to Creation, and is centered on a tree; Written Upon the Water waits until the target looks at a liquid surface before giving the message, and is limited to Creation to boot; Blood Mirror Speech isn't limited to Creation, but waits until the target looks at a mirror before giving the message.

Point being, instantaneous interplanar messaging seems to be a little more high-end even than Terrestrial Circle Sorcery.

Agreed, but what amount is appropriate?
    someplace between 3 and 5 depending on the cost for comunicating, attunement cost and extra powers it may have.
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Or he could use it on a boulder to get a boulder-sized lump of Starmetal.

Really, Principle-Invoking Onslaught solves all resource problems.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

Anyone care to try making the Disgaea trio?

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

Laharl: Third circle demon.
    Etna: Second circle demon.
    Flonne: Second circle deva.

There.

(Although given the metaphysics of the Disgaea setting they're more like demon-blooded mortals (or deva-blooded in Flonne's case) than actual demons.)
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2011-05-30 at 09:01 AM.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

6. - Top - End - #336
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post

There.

(Although given the metaphysics of the Disgaea setting they're more like demon-blooded mortals (or deva-blooded in Flonne's case) than actual demons.)
    I meant as Exalts/Fae/Etc.

Gordon would be a heroic mortal, Thursday's an a construct with an AI, Jennifer is probably a dragon-blood, and normal Curtis is either an Alchemical or an Akuma of Autocthon.

Gordon is all Social stats and has Charisma and Presence maxed, with a few dots in Archery, Martial Arts and Sail. Jennifer is Mental stats, with physical secondary, Maxed out Craft, Lore, Medicine and Martial arts. Don't know enough about Alchemicals or Magitech constructs to even guess on Thursday and Curtis.
    Last edited by Kris Strife; 2011-05-30 at 09:44 AM.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

There.

I dunno. Laharl, yeah, is part human, but Etna is a full-blooded demon, made by mommy demon and daddy demon. That probably qualifies her as full demon.

And of course there's the measure of power. Laharl is seven kinds of hax, especially in cutscenes, while demonblooded kind of suck by design.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2011-05-30 at 09:57 AM.

8. - Top - End - #338

Or he could use it on a boulder to get a boulder-sized lump of Starmetal.

Really, Principle-Invoking Onslaught solves all resource problems.
    actually the size of the object do not effect the value of matter created, so rocks are better to use than boulders because they have fewer health levels, and thus needs fewer attacks to transform.
    Last edited by vegetalss4; 2011-05-30 at 09:59 AM.
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

Okay. I'd say Jennifer and CAPTAIN GORDON, DEFENDER OF EARTH!" are both enlightened mortals, really.

Still say Laharl and Etna are demon-blooded. Laharl's probably Inheritance 4 or 5, while Etna, being a commoner, is closer to 1 or 2. Flonne, as a deva-blooded, is mechanically identical to Laharl and Etna, and is likely Inheritance 1 to 3.

Laharl favours Melee, with a specialty in swords. He has middling Presence and low Socialize. Probably has Physical primary, Social secondary and Mental tertiary. His Strength, Dexterity and Stamina are all likely very high. Middling Appearance and Charisma, but very low Manipulation. As for Mental stats... he's an idiot.

Backgrounds include high Command, Manse, Followers and Resources, of course. Possibly Arsenal as well. Etna and Flonne would be Allies if they weren't PCs.

Virtues would be Compassion 1, high Conviction and Valor and low Temperance. As the game goes on he puts XP from interacting with Flonne into Compassion.

Etna probably favoures some social Ability - likely Socialize, for that lyin' she's got going on. Her Melee specialties are in spears and axes. Also doesn't have shabby Archery either. Social primary, Mental secondary and Physical tertiary - likely has high Social attributes across the board, high Perception and Wits (and middling Intelligence), and high Dexterity with low Strength and Stamina.

She also has Command and Followers, but at lower levels than Laharl. Her Compassion is likely higher than Laharl's to start with, and her Conviction is likely higher as well - probably balanced by even lower Temperance.

Flonne is Social primary, Physical secondary and Mental tertiary. She likely favours Medicine, Socialize and/or Occult. Lore specialty in "Otaku culture". High Appearance and Charisma, but middling-to-low Manipulation. Her Dexterity is likely very high, but her Strength and Stamina are poor. Intelligence and Wits are low, and she probably put all her dots into Perception. Her combat ability of choice is Archery, with a speciality in guns. Because... look at her stats. That girl is surprisingly good with guns! Celestia must be a rough neighbourhood.

Backgrounds include Mentor and Artifact (for her pendant). She probably spent BP to get her Compassion to 5, has average Conviction and Valor, and probably higher Temperance than the other two.

Weapon skills are probably special Terrestrial Martial Arts styles. Character-specific attacks are obviously spirit charms. Spells are probably just charms at the lower end, and maybe Terrestrial Circle Sorcery when you get to the Omega spells.

How's that?

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    I dunno. Laharl, yeah, is part human, but Etna is a full-blooded demon, made by mommy demon and daddy demon. That probably qualifies her as full demon.

And of course there's the measure of power. Laharl is seven kinds of hax, especially in cutscenes, while demonblooded kind of suck by design.
    This isn't Creation. Metaphysically, humans, angels and demons are all interchangeable in the Disgaea universe.

The setting likely has houserules that allow demon-blooded and enlightened mortals to raise their Essence higher than 3.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2011-05-30 at 10:10 AM.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Agreed, but what amount is appropriate ?
    Like Torc but working EVERYWHERE ? 3 dot artefact, per person and created as a whole unit, with certain aesthetics added:
    Make it one of these demonic species with hivemind.
    Within same realm of existence (Creation, Underworld, Malfeas, Yu-Shan, Autochtonia) give some token cost, like the Torc. Across different realms ? Make it cost like 10m and 1 WP. Add in some funny drawbacks. Like inability to hide their thoughts from others sharing the link.

Perhaps You could use, as Exotic Components, some kind of bug-demons possessing Hive Mind. And add Sapience as a bonus, making players friendly to said Hive Mind and acting weird in synchro.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Troll in the Playground

I figured Laharl is some kind of Solar(oid), with only one dot of Compassion at the start. While it seems fitting for him to be an Infernal, I have trouble seeing him EVER agree to obey someone. Character assassination/un-development in game 2 not withstanding.

12. - Top - End - #342

Laharl is a demonblooded. Technically. But he would be essentially the son of the Empreal Chaos and a human. There is a precedent for such things creating powerful behemoths after all. (and speaking of hax... my favorite quote from that game: "The demons are attacking, our defensive fleets are being destroyed!" "What?! How many are there?!" "One sir!")

Etna... Second circle soul of the Ebon dragon. Prinnies are her first circles.

Flonne I'd probably make a deva of Gaia or something.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

I still hold that Laharl and sundry are only powerful because they have a ton of XP from all the level grinding.

Also, Laharl's dad wasn't nearly on the same level as the Empyreal Chaos. You shouldn't mix up narrative role and power level.

Now, Baal? He's something like the Empyreal Chaos.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2011-05-30 at 01:30 PM.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Troll in the Playground

I still hold that Laharl and sundry are only powerful because they have a ton of XP from all the level grinding.
    In cut scenes I don't think they have as big an increase in strength over the course of the game. They're actually supposed to be that tough. See Etna mode.

15. - Top - End - #345

Really depends on whether you go by cutscene or by gameplay, though. If it's cutscene, Laharl cuts apart the entire EDF fleet by himself. If you go by gameplay, though, Laharl has trouble with a couple of turrets on a single one of the battleships right before then. Etna one-shots a Prism Ranger for a gag, and then right after that, the other four are actually a moderate threat when you fight them.

But, given the nature of Disgaea, XP grind seems to make the most sense, yes.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    As for Ox-Body and the mote expanders, I was thinking about using those to help deal with the lethality problem and the problem of Eclipse-alikes getting access to more mote expanders than anyone else.
    Stealth errata in Alchemicals says Elipse-alikes can't get mote expanders with their anima.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikandur Azebol View Post
    Perhaps You could use, as Exotic Components, some kind of bug-demons possessing Hive Mind. And add Sapience as a bonus, making players friendly to said Hive Mind and acting weird in synchro.
    The only Hive Mind demon I know of is in fact a lion not a bug. Other than that I agree going the route of a Hellforged Wonder using Teodojiza, or some other Hive Mind I'm not familiar with, is a very good way of going about it.
    Last edited by Sanguine; 2011-05-30 at 01:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    Really depends on whether you go by cutscene or by gameplay, though. If it's cutscene, Laharl cuts apart the entire EDF fleet by himself. If you go by gameplay, though, Laharl has trouble with a couple of turrets on a single one of the battleships right before then. Etna one-shots a Prism Ranger for a gag, and then right after that, the other four are actually a moderate threat when you fight them.

But, given the nature of Disgaea, XP grind seems to make the most sense, yes.
    Considering this is Exalted, I think cut scene stuff would probably be better to build the characters from.

@Yuki Akuma: King Krichevskoy did seal Baal away single handed, so if Baal is Empyreal Chaos, having Krichevskoy be an Exalt makes some sense. Laharl's mom was a mortal witch, so she was bare minimum an Enlightened Mortal. No indication what sort of power level she had, though I think she was above average if she was able to get to the Netherworld, survive and catch Krichevskoy's eye.

Still think Gordon is at best a Heroic mortal with maxed out Social abilities, and above average combat skills. Going by cut scenes, he's no where near a match for Jennifer when she goes all out.

Weapons skills and personal skills are probably charms. I think Game 3 might focus on Fair Folk, what with the increased Genre Savvy in the characters, and the magichange system. The final boss of 2 is clearly another fair folk turning the place into a Wyld area and causing rampant Wyld mutations. Have ideas for the rest of it, but don't want to give spoilers.

Phantom Brave has an Abyssal main character (no one can stand to be around her, all her friends are dead, etc ), and I'm not sure what's going on with Makai Kingdom. Cladun is another Wyld Game, and ZHP is showing how an Exalt goes from Second Breath to actually being an awesome demigod.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

Also, Laharl's dad wasn't nearly on the same level as the Empyreal Chaos. You shouldn't mix up narrative role and power level.

The problem is that there is no amount of XP grinding that would really allow a Demonblooded to be that awesome by the rules. Spirit charms are explicitly designed to be kind of crappy unless you get your own exclusive panoply (which IIRC Demonblooded can't have), TMA are mostly meant for mortals and balanced accordingly (ie, with some exceptions like Even Blade, tending to be pretty bad and being unable to stand to par with Exalted Charms of any level, and not progressional. Having three hundred TMA charms is not really much better than having two dozen), and TCS is more or less a toolbox of handy utility effects, especially for travel and such.

Comparing this to Laharl, who does stuff that would make many Infernals blush in explosion-envy and want to rush forward even deeper into Malfeas's tree...
    Last edited by Drascin; 2011-05-30 at 02:00 PM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Really, Disgaea doesn't fit that well in Exalted (not that anything else does). It really deserves its own system.

...Damnit now I want to make one.

20. - Top - End - #350

Eh... Laharl's dad BEAT Baal. It's just that the fight weakened him so much that you only get to see the shadow of his former self that's left in the games. I'd compare Baal more to a powerful unshaped.

Also, yes. Disgaea needs it's own RPG system. But how could one system contain so much awesome?

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    So, here's a question. Would adding the following feature impact the game negatively in any meaningful way:

Universal Excellence; Often considered the root principle upon which excellencies are based, this fundamental law allows beings with essence to improve their abilities. By spending 4 motes, they may add one die to any roll, or to a static value as if using the first excellency. They may add only Essence dice in this manner, and these dice count as dice from charms.

Essentially, a horribly inefficient proto-excellency. It doesn't need to be specifically taken though, and it can also be used by beings who normally don't have excellencies, like mortals with awakened essence.
    I make charms like this open to my players (in the event I should ever get a tinkering-oriented Twilight) through the Art of Charms, a thaumaturgical style to writing charms that will probably stay half-written until I get a player who might use it. For charm design, I would have my players pick between a number of different design principles like raw power (which Solars have bunches of), cost efficiency (Which DBs have more of), XP efficiency (Lunar excellencies are a good example), and some other factors which are less fleshed-out.

Low-level players would, using my system, probably be unable to create your "Universal Excellency" as it's only two mote efficiency steps below the Solar excellency, while it's a _big_ XP efficiency above the Lunar one (so at least 2 steps, I'd say 3, over the Solar excellency), and is only 1-2ish power step below the Solar excellency, for a total of 1 to 2 power steps weaker than charms created by the Incarnae. And low-mid XP characters can probably not make charms better than the Incarnae can.

A more achievable mortal-designed Excellency under my system would be one with very narrow application: Say, a Specialty excellency. That's one XP efficiency step below the Solar one, so you're looking at a much more achievable 5 power steps below an Incarnae's charm - you might even be able to improve the mote efficiency to 2 per 1.

Ultimately, the discovery and propagation of thaumatugical charms like this could be important to a Lunar game, as it makes the Thousand Streams River much more viable. But unless a game was oriented around charms like this and mortal discovery and development of them, it's unlikely to be too serious.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

It's not a charm, it's a universal rule. Like, spending a willpower get's you one single success.

Also, I fail to see how it's better than any excellency currently available, even spirit ones. Spending 4 motes to get 1 die is horrible mote efficiency. Plus, I didn't really think too hard on that(posted it a bit after midnight). In all likelyhood, the dice cap would be more like, say, half essence. Or something.

On your system...I can't say too much, as quite a bit of it is unclear. But it seems like a horrible waste of a system, overall. A huge xp sink, for extremely sparse gains. Unless the abilities are costed the same as alchemical procedures. Even then, though...
    Last edited by Tavar; 2011-05-30 at 08:37 PM.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

23. - Top - End - #353

Flumph

Do Lunar spirit shapes gain any benefits from artifacts or do they just kind of meld into the form? Moonsilver armor shapes itself to fit war form, but what about spirit? And what about other artifacts like hearthstone bracers or such?

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geigan View Post
    Do Lunar spirit shapes gain any benefits from artifacts or do they just kind of meld into the form? Moonsilver armor shapes itself to fit war form, but what about spirit? And what about other artifacts like hearthstone bracers or such?
    If it's moonsilver, and it can reasonably be shifted to fit your new form, it will. That means you can have a fully-armored strix or centipede. But you still can't wield most weapons.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Troll in the Playground

I always figured moonsilver weapons altered themselves to the new form as everything else, like so:

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Also, I fail to see how it's better than any excellency currently available, even spirit ones. Spending 4 motes to get 1 die is horrible mote efficiency. Plus, I didn't really think too hard on that(posted it a bit after midnight). In all likelyhood, the dice cap would be more like, say, half essence. Or something.
    I was under the impression that it was a single charm, rather than a Stunt-like rule. No, it's not super-powerful, but it is vastly more versatile than Luna's excellencies. Even the excellencies based on Autochthon's Proto-Exalted were ability-based.

As a universal law, I see little problem with it.

On your system...I can't say too much, as quite a bit of it is unclear. But it seems like a horrible waste of a system, overall. A huge xp sink, for extremely sparse gains. Unless the abilities are costed the same as alchemical procedures. Even then, though...
    Basically, you use thaumaturgical procedures to design and then execute charms.

The disadvantages are that it's very difficult to produce charms more effective, overall, than currently extant ones (though it is theoretically possible to produce charms superior to the ones the Exalted use, and doing so would be A Big Deal), and that to use a charm thaumaturgically you need to pay a surcharge for the charm-using procedure.

The upsides are that you can design (to possibly include duplication, I might include special rules for trying to duplicate an observed charm) and use charms for any theme, outside of your Exaltation's limitations, and that charms so used have no combo restrictions, except that you must flurry the procedures to use them.
    Last edited by Indon; 2011-05-30 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Fixed misconception.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

You could think of it as the rule upon which all excellencies are based. Excellencies lose the all encompassing versatility for much, much better mote costs, and higher dice caps. A surcharge of +3 motes, and limited to 1/2 essence in dice? That's horrible, unless you have no other option. And it also overlaps with dice caps normally. For instance, a Lunar with the 1st dex excellency and 3 dex and 6 essence could spend 12 motes for 3 dice from this, or 3 motes for 3 dice with the First Dex Excellency. But, even using both together, he couldn't boost the cap by more than 3 dice.

As for your system, I don't know. I don't like the idea behind it. Just seems off to me.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

28. - Top - End - #358

Remember how I said a while ago that I was going to be running Return to the Tomb of Five Corners for some friends to introduce them to Exalted? Well does anyone know of an easy way to handle combat via PbP? I mean aside from having a tick counter.

The main thing I thought of to simplify things is that, instead of waiting for the target of an attack to declare how they're defending against it, you just use the largest of their DVs and if they want to stunt it or use a reflexive Charm, the player says so in their next post and it's just ret-conned into the ST's post?

How's it normally handled in PbP? Has anyone worked out a simple-ish way of doing it?
    Avatar of Gnar'tigor - former Star Player of the Hellborn Hooligans Blood Bowl team - by Savannah

Brilliant D&D song from Aussie comedy band Tripod.
    If anyone can find a better-quality version of that, let me know.

The Hellborn Hooligans Reborn

29. - Top - End - #359
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

You could think of it as the rule upon which all excellencies are based.
    I take it it's not prone to combo limitations?

As for your system, I don't know. I don't like the idea behind it. Just seems off to me.
    It is a lot of work on my part for something few players are going to bother with.

In game world terms, it's an extension of the idea of Thaumaturgy as 'Science in Creation' - since things in Creation can use charms, then the structure of Charms are a part of Creation's laws and should be manipulable at some level through a thaumaturgical discipline.

Plus, since the prospect of players creating or manipulating Exaltations is touched upon in the books, I wanted to flesh out a system that could be used to give them charms. (as well as create them, which is a different thaumaturgical discipline)

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFighter15 View Post
    How's it normally handled in PbP? Has anyone worked out a simple-ish way of doing it?
    Do it over IM.

The steps at which you declare certain reflexive Charms are not there for show. If they are improperly used, combat can turn out to be a mess of blood and gore and death for everyone, or alternately into a number of tanks armed with nerf guns trying to destroy each other. The main problem is that there are 10 of those steps, so working them out requires almost-real-time coordination. Other STs might have found PbP-focused solutions, but this is the best I can think of.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.