New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion V: Our Armies are Pants

Ooh, I had forgotten that mutation. That's a good one and fits well with the character, but the problem remains much that I have with Cobra Eye: Range is too short. I suppose I could always ask the ST. :/
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Fearing the implications of this, Luna took some of these Solar Exaltations and flipped the polarity sideways, from Gold to Silver, to complete the trifecta of Asshat/Death/Furry, Gold/Black/Silver.
    dude no../. let me show you
    no
    dude.. you got to FLIP it. TURN-WAYS
    Quote Originally Posted by Grifter, character in game I'm GMing
    I was fine in Kingsfort until I met you guys. This looking for immortality thing is gonna get me killed!

3. - Top - End - #423
    Banned

Xefas, I respect you, but I don't think that's right. Abyssals still aren't cool.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AThousandWords View Post
    Xefas, I respect you, but I don't think that's right. Abyssals still aren't cool.
    I disagree.

Solars still aren't cool.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #425
    Dwarf in the Playground

Is it bad that I am becoming fascinated with Ebon Dragon charms to go with my SWLiHN goodness? Now I can't decide between mixing telekinetic reality warping goodness with ED cheatery or with desert-based mephistopheles shenanigans....

6. - Top - End - #426
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I disagree.

Solars still aren't cool.
    You have the right to be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by masterjoda99 View Post
    Is it bad that I am becoming fascinated with Ebon Dragon charms to go with my SWLiHN goodness? Now I can't decide between mixing telekinetic reality warping goodness with ED cheatery or with desert-based mephistopheles shenanigans....
    Go with Isidoros and Hakuna Matata

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

Lunars were never Solars. Neither were Sidereals. No relation.

And, whatever Luna and Sol may have done, at least they didn't crap over the Exaltations like the Yozis did.

(Hey, kids, guess what DMS's least favorite Exalt type is!)

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post
    Lunars were never Solars. Neither were Sidereals. No relation.

And, whatever Luna and Sol may have done, at least they didn't crap over the Exaltations like the Yozis did.

(Hey, kids, guess what DMS's least favorite Exalt type is!)
    Alchemicals!
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

Oh wow. Huge thread on White Wolf's forums about putting the Empress or Kejak on trial. Someone just posted this, though, and I thought I should share.

Chejop Kejak: You want answers?
    Solor Lawyer: I think I'm entitled.
    CK: You want answers?
    SL: I want the truth!
    CK: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns. Who's going to do it, you? You, Lt. Lunar? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the First Age Solars and you curse the Sidereals. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That the Solars' deaths, while tragic, probably saved lives, and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor...code...loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a lifetime spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very existence that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!
    SL: ...did you order the Usurpation?
    CK: I did the job...
    SL: Did you order the Usurpation?
    CK: You're goddamn right I did!
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

10. - Top - End - #430
    Troll in the Playground

@^ epic

Lunars were never Solars.
    I would ask you to bring your lies and slander elsewhere, good sir. I happen to believe in a better, brighter tomorrow, where Lunars can make something of themselves - where they can claw their way forth from the dark fate that has befallen them as silver solars, and become something truly worthwhile: Actual Solars.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

...with fur?
    BEEP.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Banned

And tattoos. Never forget the tattoos.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

I would ask you to bring your lies and slander elsewhere, good sir. I happen to believe in a better, brighter tomorrow, where Lunars can make something of themselves - where they can claw their way forth from the dark fate that has befallen them as silver solars, and become something truly worthwhile: Actual Solars.
    ...or, you know, they could just stop trying to be Solars and be something else entirely. Because that's what they're supposed to be: something else entirely.

Seriously.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Banned

2.5 will rectify that, hopefully. I personally hope they make a core PDF with fixes in apropos spots.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

...or, you know, they could just stop trying to be Solars and be something else entirely. Because that's what they're supposed to be: something else entirely.

Seriously.
    Shenanigans and hornswoggle, I say!

16. - Top - End - #436
    Bugbear in the Playground

What the hell is going on here?
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #437
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

the yozi have corrupted his brainmeats
    BEEP.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Flush the Zolards became Primodials. Multiple ones, because why You should limit Yourself to one theme ?

Xefas, why do You believe being more like US is ... better ?
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Bookworm, did you see my response to your post?

Also, to everyone else, here's a question; in combat, what charms are you willing to spend a Willpower on, by themselves?

For me, here's the list, which is how I go about costing the combat charms I make. This is Solar/Celestial Tier, by the way.
    1. Be a perfect defense with duration longer than instant
    2. Be a perfect attack.
    3. Both be capable of ending the fight if it hits, and have some effect if it doesn't.
    4. Have a duration longer than 1 action/be an extra action charm
    5. Have a massive, game changing effect on the battlefield.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2011-06-03 at 01:01 AM.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

20. - Top - End - #440
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    What the hell is going on here?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Limit Break is going on here. Y'know how Exalted has all these different Yozi, each with their own torment and urge? It isn't constrained by caste, so you can always just pick one that isn't going to be terribly inconvenient for your character. The pickings are a bit slimmer IRL.

I'll give you three guesses whose torment I got.

In all seriousness, though, the way the Lunar errata is going, I may have to write some Lunar/Infernal Bond charms when it comes out. Maybe some Devil Tiger ones that allude to the Luna/Gaia thing. Hatewheel seems to be doing a good job.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    The thing with hero styles is that other people are meant to be able to learn them.

And only Lunars can learn knacks.

It'd be like making Throne Shadow Style require dots in Colleges. Or Solar Hero Style requiring Solar Circle Sorcery.
    I'd say it's more like making a high-Essence Alchemical martial art that requires you to be a giant city.

Knacks are the physical attributes that govern Lunar shapeshifting and if the Lunar hero style does not integrate shapeshifting I can hardly see how it is a complete instinctive combat style for a Lunar. Shapeshifting is, physically, _the_ unique Lunar ability, and its' combat applications are myriad and obvious. It's no more their fault that other people can't shapeshift than it is a Patropolis' fault that nobody else is a giant city.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

The fact remains that hero styles are meant to be learned by other people.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

23. - Top - End - #443
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

The fact remains that hero styles are meant to be learned by other people.
    Maybe out of character, but in-character, hero styles are meant to be an Exalt type's instinctive expression of martial combat.

I suppose it's a solvable problem, though - you could make charms that grant Lunars only additional shapeshifting abilities as de facto knacks. That means others can practice the style, but they'll never be able to use it as it is meant to be used, using the fluid body of a Lunar.

This would all be a lot easier if they'd just give us a Lunar Redemption mechanic.
    If you want to make Lunars awesome, why not make them Primordial-type (or equivalent, or even more exotic) Lunars dedicated to Luna?

It's not known precisely what kind of being Luna is, after all - she just showed up one day and started seducing incarnae.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

What Yuki Akuma said, plus the fact that knacks don't really work that way. I guess that could work as some other style, but Lunar hero style needs to be workable as something every exalt can learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    It's not known precisely what kind of being Luna is, after all - she just showed up one day and started seducing incarnae.
    Going by Glories of the Most High: Luna, that's not entirely true. Oramus and at least one other primordial know her origins.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2011-06-03 at 09:52 AM.
    Satomi by Elagune

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

There is no guarantee in the game, in or out of character, that a hero style should be usable by another type of creature. Almost all martial arts are so usable, admittedly, but:

-You could use a charm-that-functions-as-knack setup or make knack-based extensions that compromise on the issue and allow others to practice the style without being able to achieve the same level of mastery. Personally, I wouldn't bother with that path, because...

-Lunars are magnificently powerful killing machines, meant to be terrible in their fury and power, and they get no unique capabilities as far as combat goes. Martial combat Knacks are potentially quite powerful, extremely in keeping for the Lunar concept, and give Lunars something they can call their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Going by Glories of the Most High: Luna, that's not entirely true. Oramus and at least one other primordial know her origins.
    And I take it they aren't talking?
    Last edited by Indon; 2011-06-03 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Clarification.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

We know exactly what kind of being Luna is. She's a god. She's flightly, murcurial and has a problem with multiple personalities, but she's still a god.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

27. - Top - End - #447
    Banned

Indon, I do not think you understand what a Knack is.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Bugbear in the Playground

you are confusing her with the Maidens. They where the ones who just showed up one time (back when they where the fates).
    Luna was made by Cytherea* and Oramus, for the express purpose of seducing Gaia so she wouldn't zip off and go looking for the shining answer.

*not sure on spelling
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vegetalss4 View Post
    you are confusing her with the Maidens.
    Yes but we know precisely what the Maidens are too (Gods, created by the Primordials). They just weren't created in this timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by vegetalss4 View Post
    Luna was made by Cytherea* and Oramus, for the express purpose of seducing Gaia so she wouldn't zip off and go looking for the shining answer.
    Which doesn't really take into account that Gaia has more than one body. You'd think the Primordials, of all people, would remember that they can be in more than one place at once.

Also, regarding hero styles: they are not martial arts for the Exalt types they represent. They're just Martial Arts (or Dexterity) charms. They're formalised martial arts designed to imitate those exalt types when someone else learns them, but Lunar Hero Style is just how Lunars fight.

So yeah, actually, there is a garuntee that other people can learn them.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2011-06-03 at 10:21 AM.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AThousandWords View Post
    Indon, I do not think you understand what a Knack is.
    It's an inherent ability that improves a Lunar's shapeshifting abilities. Not all are passive, either, some give you the straight-up ability to spend motes for an effect that relates to shapeshifting (a good example is Monkey Arm Style).

No, there is no, "Use a knack to generate an immediate in-combat effect" combat category for knacks. Making one and tying it in to Lunar martial arts is what I'm talking about.

Edit:

Also, regarding hero styles: they are not martial arts for the Exalt types they represent. They're just Martial Arts (or Dexterity) charms. They're formalised martial arts designed to imitate those exalt types when someone else learns them, but Lunar Hero Style is just how Lunars fight.
    They aren't formalized martial arts in the sense that any other martial arts are. They're the martial arts charm tree (Dexterity charm tree for Lunars) for the Exalt type in question, innate to that exalt type in precisely the way all the other charms are innate to them, that has a section that may be formalized as a traditional martial arts tree and taught to others.

There's no guarantee there.
    Last edited by Indon; 2011-06-03 at 10:27 AM. Reason: For non-double-postage