New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion V: Our Armies are Pants

They don't.

DBs can wipe the floors with Raksha.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

2. - Top - End - #482
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    They don't.

DBs can wipe the floors with Raksha.
    Fair enough.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    So I was reading through the book that has details on the Fair Folk, and I was curious. How do they stack up against Exalts (as in, are they Terrestrial-level power, or Celestial, that kinda thing)?
    Varies wildly whether they're inside or outside of the Wyld. There are also several tiers of Fair Folk, which I believe are Commoner, Noble, Unshaped, and Ishvara. The last of which are supposedly Solar-tier.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Unshaped can't actually enter Creation, though. So any Fair Folk you meet in Creation is open to floor-wiping...

In the Wyld, well, the DB is at a bit of a disadvantage, but in the Wyld his Holy charms work on them (shaped Raksha are not Creatures of Darkness).

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

5. - Top - End - #485
    Banned

Also whether or not meschlum had a hand in their creation.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ettin in the Playground

By the way, have you all read Luna's Guide to Surviving Creation? Because you really should. Luna's awesome. It's a shame that the Luna images seem to be broken, though.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    By the way, have you all read Luna's Guide to Surviving Creation? Because you really should. Luna's awesome. It's a shame that the Luna images seem to be broken, though.
    I saw 'tonberrian' and 'Luna' and 'Creation' and thought this was an MLP crossover. Now I am sad.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    I saw 'tonberrian' and 'Luna' and 'Creation' and thought this was an MLP crossover. Now I am sad.
    On the one hand, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that ponies thought I was so prolific as a brony.

On the other hand, you should still read it. Luna (the Incarnae) is absolutely a joy to read.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

9. - Top - End - #489

No, I hadn't. Reading it now, though.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

It's fine, I'm just weird.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ettin in the Playground

One gem stands out as particularly Lix-worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna
    Mmmm, you appear to have collapsed, foaming and arguing with yourself. Either you decided that derangements were free bonus points during character creation, or the audience is having a mixed reaction to some of these tips. I'd be surprised -- but I took surprise negation charms -- so instead I'll use that action to picture Sol naked.

Mmmm. Yeah. That was five tics well spent.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

One gem stands out as particularly Lix-worthy.
    ...yep, you convinced me.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

I... I want to play a Raksha now.

What's happening to me? What have you done?!

14. - Top - End - #494
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    So, the artifact counts as a tutor for the charms in its' style? I think that's entirely reasonable, and frankly not even a 5-dot benefit unless it does something crazy like initiate you to a higher martial arts level to be able to use the style.
    Well, not exactly.First, it's not just a tutor, it's a style that cannot be used without it. And also, it would preferably be somewhere between TMAs and CMAs, while still being usable by even a mortal.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dragnar View Post
    Well, not exactly.First, it's not just a tutor, it's a style that cannot be used without it. And also, it would preferably be somewhere between TMAs and CMAs, while still being usable by even a mortal.
    I'd say make it a solid CMA. A 5-dotter that allows mortals use of a single CMA is appropriate power-wise.

From there, make it an awesome style.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    I'd say make it a solid CMA. A 5-dotter that allows mortals use of a single CMA is appropriate power-wise.

From there, make it an awesome style.
    God no. This breaks the setting. Horribly.

An artifact that allows a mortal to learn CMA would be a unique, N/A artifact, and probably shouldn't exist at all.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    Oh, c'mon, mortals can already learn Primordial charms. And they don't even have to spend bonus points on attaining that capacity. Hell, they get experience for it.

Trololol, and so on.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

An artifact that allows a mortal to learn CMA would be a unique, N/A artifact, and probably shouldn't exist at all.
    Meanwhile, an artifact that lets a mortal exert severe control over an unlimited number of people, including exalts, is totally canon and in fact a major part of the setting.

I'm not saying that I like the Perfect, but he's there.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Orc in the Playground

For those of you who haven't noticed, the new Test of Spite has an Exalted component. So far, there's been one fight, and having more would be great to have more Exalted ones.
    He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and can see the turn of the universe. And... he's wonderful.

"What you do is travel around, pitting your summons against other summoners. This gives you the right to compete in tournaments, and to gain more and more powerful summons.

Just watch out for evil Team Meteor Swarm, who want to steal your Eidolon for no good reason."
    Mark Hall

20. - Top - End - #500

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Oh, c'mon, mortals can already learn Primordial charms. And they don't even have to spend bonus points on attaining that capacity. Hell, they get experience for it.

Trololol, and so on.
    It looks like this poster...

...is going nowhere Faust.

YEEEEEEEEEAH

Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post
    Meanwhile, an artifact that lets a mortal exert severe control over an unlimited number of people, including exalts, is totally canon and in fact a major part of the setting.

I'm not saying that I like the Perfect, but he's there.
    Said artifact is N/A, unique, has several restrictions, and most importantly, does not just provide raw power.

The Perfect got where he is because he used the Rod's capabilities in a smart, intelligent manner. He didn't just gain the ability to learn CMAs and start beating up Dragon-Bloods.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

A N/A artifact that lets them learn one, specific CMA isn't broken. Especially if they only have access to the charms while 'attached' to the artifact.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

22. - Top - End - #502

Consider that there's already a lesser version: the War Devil's Skull enlightens a mortal's Essence and teaches them TMAs. Sure, there's the downside of it eventually making you a slave to it, and then turning your body into a fleshy portal for Octavian to emerge into Creation, but hey, everything's got a price.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Barbarian in the Playground

Why is a five dot artifact that lets a mortal learn a CMA totally broken again? Aren't some sidereals teaching a DB SMA? How is this so different? And even if it was, how does it break the setting?

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

It's different because DBs explode if they ever try to use SMA charms.

Also, Exalts specifically should be able to enlighten lesser beings (Solars can let mortals learn Solar charms and can awaken their essence to learning TMA and sorcery). Artifacts aren't Exalts.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2011-06-04 at 09:15 AM.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tael View Post
    Why is a five dot artifact that lets a mortal learn a CMA totally broken again? Aren't some sidereals teaching a DB SMA? How is this so different? And even if it was, how does it break the setting?
    Mortals don't get nice things.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    It's different because DBs explode if they ever try to use SMA charms.

Also, Exalts specifically should be able to enlighten lesser beings (Solars can let mortals learn Solar charms and can awaken their essence to learning TMA and sorcery). Artifacts aren't Exalts.
    No, but they're made by exalts and way more resource intensive than most exalted methods of granting enlightenment and celestial level charms. So I don't think an artifact which grants a CMA to a mortal is broken, but I'm not sure what artifact level it should require (most certainly 5 dot or NA). Besides, their kung fu won't stop the first exalt who comes across them yoinking it if they're so inclined. As long as it doesn't grant a whole charm tree to exalts, it doesn't break the setting. Just any heroic mortal game it shows up in.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

CMA or not, mortals still face a lot of restrictions. Sucky Essence pool, no Excellencies, and no Combos. They will still get whupped by an Essence 2 Dragon-Blood, if that DB happens to specialize in fighting.

It's still a powerful artifact, but it will not break the setting.

28. - Top - End - #508

Okay. Back in the First Age, we have an elder Solar Twilighter McTwilightson. He's specialized in crafting, and has a few War charms.

Twilighter gets a good production line going, and starts churning these out. Let's say he can make 10 of them per year (conservative estimate, really), and that he does this for a century. 1000 of these things.

He then takes a bunch of mortals and trains them into badass kung-fu superwarriors, because War charms do that.

Twilighter then gives 1000 of these to the mortals. Guess what that looks like.

This is one Twilight.

Broken.

Also: Boring. A mortal martial arts genius that has lived for a century realizing the Stem of the Perfected Lotus with his final breath is cool. Having your Twilight buddy make an artifact that gives it to you is not. Artifact 5s should be incredibly cool wonders, not straight-up stat boosters.

Also also: Quite frankly, no, mortals do not get nice things. That's a pretty core tenet of the setting.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

One Twilight can, in much less time, make enough protoshinmaic vortexes to fully obliterate Creation. One Twilight can, in much less time, release the Kukla. There are far too many things that can be done in the game (especially by Twilights) which are only prevented by a good ST saying "shenanigans-no". It's best to remember that, for the most part, a good artifact is unique. Really, in the First Age, that Twilight has more practical uses of his time. First Age Dragon-bloods will always be better than mortals, even enlightened mortals with CMA, Tiger Warrior Training, and magitech armor. The only reason for a Twilight to make even ONE of these is going to be a unique and interesting reason. If it's not, you have more problems than simply having a mechanic that isn't allowed in the initial setting concept.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Twilighter then gives 1000 of these to the mortals. Guess what that looks like.

This is one Twilight.
    Meanwhile, another Twilight spent the century sipping celestial wine. He sends one of the extant armies of tens of thousands of DB's, most with legendary breeding, to steamroll him.

Or, alternately, tens of thousands of mortal Gunzosha warriors, as that power armor is Artifact what, 3?

The First Age is not a good setting to measure artifact powerlevels in any case, if you ask me.

Though, it does occur to me that requiring a hearthstone to power its' more exotic capabilities would be an appropriate drawback as a 5-dot artifact.