New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Titan Quest

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Titan Quest

Is Titan Quest any good?

I liked Diablo and this is supposed to be just as good.

Does it have an online community?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Titan Quest

Yes, it is good, surprisingly enough. Moddable, too.

(No idea about the community, though, but Titan Quest is one of those games that don't seem to die.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Paganboy28 View Post
    I wouldn't say that. It's good, and it's similar, but Diablo II is definitely a better game. I'm not very far into it though, so my opinion doesn't have much weight.

4. - Top - End - #4

More character variety, since you get to blend two 'trees' should you desire.

Also prettier, from what I've seen.
    -\==/-
    I always ask a big question on the League thread right before bedtime so I have something to read while trying to wake up.
    Responses of any sort are wonderful.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like coming up with concepts for characters, and will do so often. But writing up crunch, especially for anything that isn't level 1, takes me a while, and after wasting lots of time writing unused characters on Mythweavers, I generally don't make a sheet unless a DM really likes the concept. Sorry.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Titan Quest is pretty good. If you like it, you can get hours and hours of playtime from it. If you don't, you might not even complete the first run through.
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Coming from a very Devout Diablo 2 fan, I can say with absolute conviction that Titan Quest(With the expansion Immortal Throne) was very near it's equal. I won't say it was better, but I will say it was damn close. It has a ton of replay value, especially if you're a loot whore like I was from Diablo 2, you'll find yourself making runs on Bosses over and over and over so you can get complete set items and stuff. Now, if you add in the moddability(and believe me, there are some SERIOUSLY large mods out there that add not just new items and stuff, but also even entirely new content. The Lillith mod adds I think an entire new act, a new story arc, hundreds of new monsters, close to a thousand new items, it's pretty freaking huge), I'd say Titan quest not only equals, but probably surpasses Diablo 2.

Also, you can go on E-bay, and buy Titan Quest Gold(original + expansion) for like 8 bucks total(that includes shipping). For the amount of game there is, that's a massive steal. I bought both at full price back in the day, and I still consider it a worthwhile buy.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Its decent. It is no Torchlight, but it is pretty close to Diablo II in quality.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I only had two real issues with Titan Quest: the loot drops weren't as easy to figure out as D2's (sometimes it's a real trial figuring out if that new doodad is better than the old one), and since it's not randomly generated it gets repetitive after a few playthroughs. Having said that, it's still an awesome game and I wish I hadn't got rid of my discs a couple of years ago when I was trying to clear out some space!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Its decent. It is no Torchlight, but it is pretty close to Diablo II in quality.
    Ehh, Torchlight is ok, but personally, I'm more inclined to say Torchlight is no Titan Quest. Let's see here;

Torchlight: Boring slog through 30(or is it 35?) Very repetitive dungeons, with mostly the same monsters over and over, barely even changing when the decor changes every 5-7 floors(and the lower you go, the less likely more then a few change).

Boss Monsters are barely any different then the Champion monsters, just a bit bigger. Still fall with little to no effort, besides chugging potion after potion.

Gear! BLECH: There is no variance, Once you find all the base unique and set items, that's it. They may gain the preface of "Epic" but all that does is change the value in the stats. A few joke items thrown in(The Emo sword, for those who know what I"m talking about) are the only truly interesting pieces.

Skills are just like Diablo, but don't scale nearly as well. A maxed out(at what..10 or 15? It's been a while) High level skill doesn't really continue to be useful once you've played through the original 30(35?) floors and get into the Bonus Dungeon, which is really just more of the same. Oh, also, one of the three sets of skills? Is shared almost completely between the three different classes. I never bothered to fully check, but I know they all share at least 5 or more skills in the one set, and I do believe it might be all. To lazy to find the discs and load it up and find out.

The quests are all tired and boring: Fetch me this particular item(I forget what it's called, you find it every so many floors), Kill this particular Champion(every so many floors, among the myriad of other lame Champions that look exactly the same), over and over. Literally, not a bit of variety thrown in. Never a "Rescue this or that person" even!

The only truly(not!) shining light of the game is the different classes themselves, and how they look, and honestly, after playing for a few hours, I could do without the corny graphics.

Oh, yeah, and playing on higher difficulties doesn't add new quests/monsters/boss-monsters either >< Just, literally raises the difficulty. Over-all, the only thing I truly enjoyed about torchlight was the legacy item, when you retired a character. Not to mention, you can't take a character INTO a higher difficulty level like Titan Quest or Diablo. Nope, you want to play on highest difficulty setting? Start over at level 1. Oh, and the final boss? Be prepared to run back to town to buy a hundred or so health pots, and continuously chug them as you SLOWLY, EVER SO SLOWLY, grind away it's massive HP pool, all for...what? A joke of an ending, and no drops? Yeah, that's fun, really!

Titan quest: A multitude of various landscapes. You're rarely in Dungeons, and when you are, they at least have some substance to them, and different design techniques to make them seem a LITTLE different from the last dozen or two you've gone through. The monsters are different in every act, and even as you progress throughout OTHER acts.

The quests are fairly fresh and unique act to act, though admittedly, there really is only so much difference you can get. Still, a much more varied amount then torchlight.

Boss monsters are actually boss-monsters. They are tough as hell for the most part, and usually use considerably different models then your normal monster or Champion Monster. Oh, and they actually require a BIT of strategy.

There are Multiple different skill trees. You pick one, you pick which skills inside the tree you want to focus on, you raise them up. At I think, level 7, you gain access to a second tree. Combining various trees offer different benefits, and give you a unique name for your class depending on how you mixed. Low level skills can and will still be useful at higher levels, especially Auras! High level skills don't suddenly peter out once you get to Legendary difficulty.

Oh, Difficulty levels: There are different "optional" boss monsters available to you as you progress through the 3 difficulty levels. Some open up once you get into epic, others open up once you hit Legendary. They are 100% unique compared to any other creature, and are usually harder then the main boss for that particular chapter. FUN! Takes some grinding, but they are well worth it in terms of exp granted, and possible loot drops. Oh, and, of course, loot: Multiple different sets and unique's, and they change as you upgrade to different difficulty levels. The name, the look, you name it. Variety, ahh, the spice of life!

Over-all, as far as I'm concerned, Titan Quest blows Torchlight right out of the water, it's not even CLOSE to a competition. Also: Moddability, yeah, torchlight can do it, but not many people do, the last time i checked several months ago, there wasn't squat. Go browse around some Titan Quest Websites: There are mods out there that virtually change the way the entire game is played, right down to the various skills! Multiple bug fixes(and let me tell you, i wish someone would do that for torchlight!) as well, and there is still a somewhat active community for it.

Hopefully torchlight 2 manages to improve on several areas, maybe then It can be called a great game, but for now, it's sadly lacking in so many different areas, It can barely be called an ok game. It's good for a single run through, and honestly I couldn't even slog my way through the bonus dungeon because it was just more of the same, and the skills the alchemist had, even it's strongest ones, just weren't useful any more. I got tired of spending every single ounce of gold I had on tons of health and mana pots to kill half a floor of mobs that looked like the ones I'd been fighting since the start of the game ><

TL;DR: I got my panties all up in a knicker because there is no way Torchlight is a quarter the game Titan Quest is. Read above for reasons why :)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Paganboy28 View Post
    Is Titan Quest any good?

Does it have an online community?
    Yes it is.

Arguable, but still a good game no matter how you slice it.

Yes. The TitanQuest.net forums are pretty good, even containing some of the big mods for the game.

11. - Top - End - #11

Eh, I have mixed feelings about TQ.

On one hand, it has great atmosphere and robust visuals that look good even today. On the other, it suffers from poorly balanced mechanics.

Rant warning.
    Spoiler
    Show
    People compare TQ to Diablo, so I'll do it as well, since I think it'll explain my gripes with the game better.

Diablo 2 tended to use two types of opponents - swarms of low health, low damage monsters that could be taken down quickly, and the occasional medium health, high damage bastard that was slow enough that you'd have the time to run up, hit him a couple times, and run away before he could retaliate. Even more importantly, your character could outrun 90% of the enemies you'd encounter, allowing the use of skirmish tactics - a necessity when you're outnumbered several thousand to one. Playing smart, you could take very little damage, saving health potions for emergencies or boss fights.

Titan Quest regularly throws you at large groups of enemies that can individually dish out a fair bit of damage, take several hits to put down, and have attack and movement speeds only slightly slower than yours. This makes it very difficult to disengage once you realize you're in way over your head, necessitates either taking Nature as one of your masteries in order to gain access to healing abilities, or filling your inventory with health potions.

This brings me to the boss fights. Diablo 2 bosses, for the most part anyway (I'm looking at you, Duriel), had a selection of high damage, slow, and heavily telegraphed attacks that could be easily dodged by anyone paying attention. Additionally, there was enough of a gap between every attack for the player to rush in and score a few good hits.

TQ bosses have a selection of high damage, moderately fast, and poorly telegraphed attacks with barely any time between each one. They're just about manageable for a caster character, who can keep his distance and rely on ranged combat and DoT abilities, but trying to fight them as a melee specialization is painful, frustrating, and unrewarding.

And speaking of masteries, TQ melee characters are utterly, and completely hosed. For the reasons listed earlier, they're too slow, they don't do enough damage, they take too much damage, and, worst of all, THEIR CORE ABILITIES ARE RANDOMLY ACTIVATED. Who's idea was it to make dual-wielding, one of the main skill trees of the Warfare mastery, have, after maxing out, all of a 20% chance to trigger? Same goes for the Defense mastery, and the Rogue mastery is just a little better, with its core attack skill granting an automatic critical every fourth hit, forcing you to split your attention between what's happening on the screen, and counting how many times you've swung your sword.

This poor class design is the reason why, despite trying every mastery as a primary, to date I've only managed to actually finish the game as a Nature primary - having three wolves and a Dryad to up my DPS and split incoming damage between several targets, as well as having easy access to healing, allowed me to breeze through encounters that were an excruciating slog for any other character (for comparison, my Hunting mastery primary took three times as long just to get through Greece), but even that proved barely enough as I've approached the endgame. In all honestly, I can't imagine myself standing a chance against the final boss as a melee character.

Short version: I do like the game, but can't recommend it without mentioning the deep flaws in its mechanics, which potentially limit the number of playable class combinations.
    Last edited by Maxymiuk; 2011-07-23 at 04:00 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maeglin_Dubh View Post
    Also prettier, from what I've seen.
    Much, much prettier.

Loved it, but haven't tried to get it to run on my laptop since I got it. Thanks, more stuff to take up space on my hard drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I love Titan Quest. It's one of my favorite RPGs
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Have to agree here. It's very much like Diablo II (despite its story being even MORE paper-thin than that game's), it's got pretty graphics for a game of its kind, and the blending of "trees" is a nice idea. I espeically liked that they did their homework with the game, calling HERACLES by his actual name rather than the Romanization and generally being very accurate to the myths. My only pet peeves were basically the same kinds of pet peeves I had with Diablo II, namely that the gear was all random so there's no way of knowing whether what you find is better than what you have or not, and that some of the bosses could be just plain annoying since I didn't have a good enough build to dish out damage faster than they healed. I eventually slogged my way through the main quest, but I haven't played Immortal Throne yet. I really should give this game another look. It was a fun time-waster back in college.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    Have to agree here. It's very much like Diablo II (despite its story being even MORE paper-thin than that game's), it's got pretty graphics for a game of its kind, and the blending of "trees" is a nice idea. I espeically liked that they did their homework with the game, calling HERACLES by his actual name rather than the Romanization and generally being very accurate to the myths. My only pet peeves were basically the same kinds of pet peeves I had with Diablo II, namely that the gear was all random so there's no way of knowing whether what you find is better than what you have or not, and that some of the bosses could be just plain annoying since I didn't have a good enough build to dish out damage faster than they healed. I eventually slogged my way through the main quest, but I haven't played Immortal Throne yet. I really should give this game another look. It was a fun time-waster back in college.
    Ya know, something I don't understand about your complaint, and others, is the "Don't know if what I find is better then what I have" one. When you equip a weapon, on the one stat page, it tells you, in no uncertain terms, what your total DPS(Damage per Second) is. If that number goes UP, then the weapon you found is better. If the number goes DOWN, the weapon you found isn't. If it stays the same, or is roughly the same, judge by the weapons OTHER stats that don't directly affect damage, and pick which one suits your particular build better. It couldn't POSSIBLY be any easier to figure out. I always thought that was one area that TQ had D2 beat hands down.

16. - Top - End - #16

I quite agree.
    -\==/-
    I always ask a big question on the League thread right before bedtime so I have something to read while trying to wake up.
    Responses of any sort are wonderful.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like coming up with concepts for characters, and will do so often. But writing up crunch, especially for anything that isn't level 1, takes me a while, and after wasting lots of time writing unused characters on Mythweavers, I generally don't make a sheet unless a DM really likes the concept. Sorry.

17. - Top - End - #17

Well, the DPS number should be taken with a grain of salt. If you're kiting, or doing hit-and-run, depending on the enemy you want a weapon that does one big hit for large damage, or maybe a fast weapon if it guarantees you a hit without being hit in turn.

EDIT: Oh, and the Diablo 2 character screen lies, anyway.
    Last edited by Spartacus; 2011-07-25 at 06:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Well, the DPS number should be taken with a grain of salt. If you're kiting, or doing hit-and-run, depending on the enemy you want a weapon that does one big hit for large damage, or maybe a fast weapon if it guarantees you a hit without being hit in turn.

EDIT: Oh, and the Diablo 2 character screen lies, anyway.
    I will give you that, but I also feel that if you play TQ, or a game like it, you should understand that if you're kiting a mob, or using hit and run tactics, that you want a weapon with the highest Minimum damage(I always prefer higher minimum, that way I'm doing AT LEAST that much, rather then rely on the chance of hitting for the max). It's really self-explanatory. Regardless, the DPS stat is there, for anyone to see, and is quite useful for anything you're going toe-to-toe with.

And, yes, Diablo 2 damage indicator is worthless junk. All it does is show your damage modified by any Enhanced Damage items you're wearing. Doesn't take into account any IAS items at all, or IAS of your weapon skill(like..I think it's Zeal? Been a while). Hence why I love TQ, since it does take into account that.

edit: And damnit, I need to stop reading this and the Diablo 2 thread, between the two, I'm starting to crave either of them hard-core. Course, I'm missing my TQ disc, which sucks, since I'd probably load it up before D2(waaaaaayyy to much time already invested in D2, on the other hand, there's lots of items and builds I never got into on TQ).
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2011-07-25 at 06:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Diablo 2 character screen tracks weapon damage, damage from skills, bonus elemental damage, all that. It doesn't show DPS, it shows damage per hit.

Unfortunately, it doesn't even do that. A variety of items and skills cause the character screen to display incorrect information, which is just one of the reasons the D2 character screen is known as the LCS, or Lying Character Screen.