New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Can Redcloak...(SoD SPOILERS!)

Most people assume Right-eye would not want to come back.
    I think he might. If he ever gets a ressurrection attempt by Redcloak (remember, dead souls know who is trying to ress them) he might take the chance in the hope that Redcloak is finally free of Xykon.

What is quite another possibility that prevents this is that Xykon might have stashed Right-eye's zombie body somewhere that RC doesn't know about, as I think even TR has the restriction that the original body (even though you don't need it and it can have been completely destroyed), can't have been turned into an undead and still be around.

As for the rest of the family: They might know what happened. RE might have met them in the afterlife and told them. One of them might have watched and told the rest.
    They might or might not come back for any number of reasons.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caractacus View Post
    I would LOVE Redcloak to get his family back - he certainly deserves it...
    Seriously, wht comic has been you reading?
    Many Hobbo-Gobbo lovers say that Azurites weren't any better than hobbos. But azurites didn't keep hundreds (or even thousands) slaves from the war, nor did they threaten a prisoner with the posibility of cast docents of innocents to the Rift to the Snarl (And a Cleric would know that is a fate worse than death, since those souls may don't get to the afterlife)

Nor did they feed it's own men to a monster, or sacrificing them to make a ladder... And that is what I found in just a minute, in the webcomic.

The ONLY thing Redcloack deserve is the hammer of Durkon coming down to his skull at high speeds, or O'Chul's blade in it guts, or being cast to a fate worse than death.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclowningham
    He definitely couldn't res his parents - they'd be too old by now.
    I remember a campaign, were there was an ancient hero who defeated "Your stantard evil guy absurdly powerful". And fearing that evil guy could back, he let's himself be killed, and put into a graveyard with his weapons, and a scroll of True Rez, "Just in case he is needed again". So, according that campaign, while you're dead, you don't age.
    Last edited by Souhiro; 2011-05-27 at 02:18 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...And one not even the densest family members would accept.

No, I'm with SPoD on this one.
    And? Why does he have to care? I wouldn't in his place. Unless resurrecting them is only for his own enjoyment and he doesn't actually care about them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #34
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    And? Why does he have to care? I wouldn't in his place. Unless resurrecting them is only for his own enjoyment and he doesn't actually care about them.
    If he doesn't care about them, he won't resurrect them.

If he does care about them, he won't be able to face them as they ask more and more pointed questions about Right-Eye's absence.

Either way, he wouldn't resurrect them. (Assuming he even has the capability.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

To be fair, Xykon can't tell one goblin from another, so he could not notice Redcloak had resurrected his family.

Plus, Redcloak could resurrect them just before Team Evil leaves Gobbtopia, so Xykon wouldn't even met them.

Won't happen, through. Whould kill most of Redcloak's personal motivation. Also, the Battle for Azure City made him shackle his chains a bit, but Xykon has already forced him back to lapdog status, and Redcloak won't dare to work behind him.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    In theory he can as he is a high enough cleric to do it. The possibility he can/will do this?

Right Eye: Yeah, I doubt he'll open up that can of worms.
    His other relations: He could if he's high enough level to perform a True Resurrection which Belkar hinted at he's high enough to do, though I'm not sure why he'd want to this late in the game.
    This is pretty much it, right here. I bet Redcloak is powerful enough, but it seems silly for him to do it this long after the fact and he's got a whole lot of 'splaining to do if he does.

The only reason I can come up with that he'd suddenly decide to res them for at this point is that he's now sure there's a safe place for them: Gobbotopia. After all, "this one's for you, Mom," right? But given the fact that he knows he'll be leaving Gobbotopia ASAP, coupled with the nasty little reminder he just got that his and everyone he knows' well being is dependent on Xykon's good mood, I doubt Redcloak would bring his family back even now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Betropper View Post
    “Hello, my fans, look at you, now back to me, now back at you, now back to me. Sadly, you aren't me, but if you stopped using lady's scented armor and switched to O-Spice, you could smell like you're me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a battleground with the man you could smell like. What’s your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s a fist. Look again, MY FIST IS NOW DIAMOND. Anything is possible when you smell like O-Chul and not a lady. I’m on a dragon.”

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

I doubt he'll do it, simply because Redcloak is someone who is out to justify what he did, not to fix the side effects.

Raising his family and working to get things in a good order again is not what he does. All of SoD is about setting a character who does only look back to find guilt and only looks forward to ponder how to justify all that he has done.

Changing that to "fixing things of the past" would be a change of character that we have not been hinted to.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Souhiro View Post
    Seriously, wht comic has been you reading?
    Many Hobbo-Gobbo lovers say that Azurites weren't any better than hobbos. But azurites didn't keep hundreds (or even thousands) slaves from the war, nor did they threaten a prisoner with the posibility of cast docents of innocents to the Rift to the Snarl (And a Cleric would know that is a fate worse than death, since those souls may don't get to the afterlife)

Nor did they feed it's own men to a monster, or sacrificing them to make a ladder... And that is what I found in just a minute.
    Wait just a minute! For the second one, that's "Xykon", not Redcloak! And also...
    It appears that you're forgetting that Redcloak has given up everything from his name to his family to his honor for the goblin race- The Dark One's plan. Sure, it's an evil plan, but it's a lawful evil plan for racial equality. Redcloak getting his family back is the very LEAST he deserves.
    SUMMON BOOT:
    The best spell ever!
    Number one fan of the moments when Xykon makes fun of people
    Proud member of the Zz'dtri fanclub!
    Special thanks to the awesome azuyomi244 for the fantastic avatar! Thank you so much, the Blackguard is amazing!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HappyBlanket View Post
    Redcloak is at least level 15. True Res isn't that far away.
    At what point did we establish what Redcloak's exact level is?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red XIV View Post
    At what point did we establish what Redcloak's exact level is?
    We don’t have his exact level. Hence “At least” level 15.

The mark for at least level 15 is from OotS 451, where Redcloak casts extended summon monster VII. A cleric must be at least 15th level to have the 8th-level spell slot required by that spell and metamagic combination. Therefore, Redcloak must be 15th level or higher.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

Why would Redcloak want to bring his family back from the goblin afterlife?

It doesn't seem to be such a bad place. The Dark One isn't torturing his followers or anything. It seems a much safer place than anywhere within Xykon's line-of-sight.

12. - Top - End - #42

But Azurites didn't keep hundreds (or even thousands) slaves from the war, nor did they threaten a prisoner with the posibility of cast dozens of innocents to the Rift to the Snarl
    1. We don't know if they kept slaves or not, do we? We haven't seen any evidence of such - but then, we don't constantly see slaves in the Gobbotopia scenes today either. Lack of proof is not proof of lack and all that.

Now, I agree it is *unlikely* that they kept slaves... but only because I think they were more inclined to slaughter everybody down to the last baby. Why do I think this? Because we've seen it happen. And when we're debating the relative ethics of slavery vs. wholesale slaughter of infants and toddlers (among others), I don't think either side is going to come out looking too rosy. Heck, you could easily make the argument that the goblins are better *because* they are keeping slaves instead of killing them en masse!

2. They didn't have that option, though, as they had no rift and the snarl was safely contained. Would they have done so had they had the option? I don't think so - but honestly, we've only seen the actions of relatively few paladins, so we don't know. Likewise, we've only seen the actions of a few high-ranking goblins, so, again, we don't really know if his actions would be approved or condoned by most.

As far as feeding "his own men" to a monster or building a ramp out of their bodies, remember that at the time he held a huge grudge against hobgoblins. He's since had character development. Not *much*, but learning to accept all goblinkind as his own people is definitely a step forward.

Of course, the question is "How much redemption and character development can you get, and is it enough to make up for the bad things you did before?", and none of us has the answer to that.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rewinn View Post
    Why would Redcloak want to bring his family back from the goblin afterlife?
    This is my question, as well. In the afterlife, his family will never have to worry about adventurers, paladins, disease, death or separation again; they’re about as safe and cared for as possible. Not to mention, all of their friends and extended family are there as well. They have literally nothing for them back on the mortal plane, except Redcloak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    [...] occasionally breaks into maniacal rants about menfolk, children, and the humans
    Phenomenal avatar by Fullbladder.
    Official Goblinologist of the Redcloak Fan Club. Proud supporter of Goblin Dan!
    Now, get back in line and sing along.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr Windrider View Post
    We don’t have his exact level. Hence “At least” level 15.

The mark for at least level 15 is from OotS 451, where Redcloak casts extended summon monster VII. A cleric must be at least 15th level to have the 8th-level spell slot required by that spell and metamagic combination. Therefore, Redcloak must be 15th level or higher.
    and if that's not enough when Redcloak summons the blade barrier to keep Tsukiko out of the castle he remarks on how it does 15d6 of damage. Blade Barrier does cleric caser leveld6 and caps at 15.

I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful Neutral
    Halfling Wizard/Cleric
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 12

There are 10 types of people in this world:
    Those that know ternary,
    those that don't
    and those that thought this was a binary joke.