New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default D&D 3.5 Gorebarian Class

So, I'd just like some opinions on this. I've recently been asked to play a Barbarian in a game I've been invited to, and I've always been turned off by the amount of crap in the Barbarian's class. Uncanny Dodge? So that the Barbarian can be immune to backstabs? Alright, I guess that makes some sense. Trap Sense? Why would a Barbarian need to do a thief really poorly? Damage reduction, okay that's kind of nice. But it doesn't stack with armor? What's the point then!?

I always thought the Barbarian should encapsulate the joy and fun of wanton violence. The Barbarian smashes and crushes and kills. Gore should rain down from the heavens in his wake. And this is what I came up with.

I decided to dive heavily into the gore idea. I wanted to make your criticals make everyone at the table POOP their PANTS. The enemies too, they should be pooping their pants as their allies are liquefied and annihilated, and extra guts fly out of them a la Fist of the North Star. Above all, the Barbarian should be pure, unadulterated fun. You get mad and CRUSH. EVERYTHING.

I realize it's overpowered and ridiculous. I'd like it to remain ridiculous, but tips on how to scale back the power while retaining the crazy would be helpful. This is the first class I've ever created. Hopefully it at least gets a laugh out of a few of you. It was fun to write, and if I can play it with my DM's approval after I get it more balances, it will hopefully by a the fun, hilarious class I envision it to be.

Without further adu, the Gorebarian:

Table: The Gorebarian
    Hit Die: d12

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Comprehend Weaknesses, Illiteracy, Rage 1/Day

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Splatter Strike (1d6)

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Spray of Gore

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Rage 2/day

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Pinpoint Weakness, Splatter Strike(2d6)

6th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Shower of Gore

7th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Caked in Entrails

8th|
    +8/+3
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Rage 3/Day, Splatter Strike(3d6)

9th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Storm of Gore

10th|
    +10/+5
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    | Weakness Precision
    11th|
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Greater Rage, Splatter Strike(4d6)

12th|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Rage 4/day, Hurricane of Gore

13th|
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Encrusted with Entrails

14th|
    +14/+9/+4
    |
    +9
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Indomitable Will, Splatter Strike(5d6)

15th|
    +15/+10/+5
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Magnetic Weakness

16th|
    +16/+11/+6/+1
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Incite Weakness, Rage 5/Day

17th|
    +17/+12/+7/+2
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Tireless Rage, Splatter Strike(6d6)

18th|
    +18/+13/+8/+3
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Shell of Entrails

19th|
    +19/+14/+9/+4
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Gorenami

20th|
    +20/+15/+10/+5
    |
    +12
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Might Rage, Rage 6/Day, Whispering Weaknesses, Splatter Strike(7d6) [/table]

Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
    Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str).

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the Gorebarian.
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Gorebarian is proficient with all blunt weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields).

Comprehend Weaknesses (Ex): A Gorebarian becomes what he is because he loves watching his enemies explode in a shower of blood, and he has inherent knowledge of the squishy parts that trigger that explosion. Knowing where those buttons are and how to push them are what bring him joy in his violent rages, and as such the Gorebarian starts out with an increased critical threat range for blunt weapons of 1 when he is enraged.

Illiteracy: Gorebarians are the only characters who do not automatically know how to read and write. A Gorebarian may spend 2 skill points to gain the ability to read and write all languages he is able to speak.
    A Gorebarian who gains a level in any other class automatically gains literacy. Any other character who gains a Gorebarian level does not lose the literacy he or she already had.

Rage (Ex):A Gorebarian can fly into a rage a certain number of times per day. In a rage, a Gorebarian temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but he takes a –2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase in Constitution increases the Gorebarian’s hit points by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the rage when his Constitution score drops back to normal. (These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are.) While raging, a Gorebarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats. A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character’s (newly improved) Constitution modifier. A Gorebarian may prematurely end his rage. At the end of the rage, the Gorebarian loses the rage modifiers and restrictions and becomes fatigued (–2 penalty to Strength, –2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run) for the duration of the current encounter (unless he is a 17th-level Gorebarian, at which point this limitation no longer applies; see below).

A Gorebarian can fly into a rage only once per encounter. At 1st level he can use his rage ability once per day. At 4th level and every four levels thereafter, he can use it one additional time per day (to a maximum of six times per day at 20th level). Entering a rage takes no time itself, but a Gorebarian can do it only during his action, not in response to someone else’s action.

Splatter Strike (Ex): At 2nd level the Gorebarian gains the ability to splatter his enemies on a critical strike when he becomes enraged. Critical hits deal an extra 1d6 damage which is multiplied by the damage bonus. This increases another 1d6 every 3 levels after this ability is acquired. An enemy killed in this fashion is “splattered” coating the Gorebarian with gore and blood. A creature killed in this fashion can only be resurrected using True Resurrection or a Miracle spell. Only living creatures can be splattered.

Spray of Gore (Ex): At third level, when an enemy explodes from a Gorebarian’s Splatter Strike, blood and gore rain down on the Gorebarian’s enemies. Up to three enemies per splatter are showered in this fashion must make a Will Save (DC 10 + (Half of Barb Level) + (Str Modifier)) or be sickened. Sicken opponents will remain so for the rest of the encounter as they try to wipe the gore off of themselves.

Pinpoint Weakness (Ex): At fifth level the Gorebarian can almost see his enemy’s weak points glowing before his eyes while enraged. The critical threat range with all blunt weapons wielded by the Gorebarian is increased by one when the Gorebarian is enraged.

Shower of Gore (Ex):At sixth level the Gorebarian’s Spray of Gore becomes a shower. It can effect up to six enemies in the Gorebarian’s immediate area who must make the Will Save (DC 10 + (Half of Barb Level) + (Str Modifier)). Failing the Will Save causes the targets to be sickened at a penalty of -4 for the remainder of the encounter. Creatures that are four HD lower than the Gorebarian who fail their will saves are frightened out right at the sight of their comrades being liquefied.

Caked with Entrails(Ex): At seventh level when the Gorebarian splatters his enemies his body is encrusted with layer upon layer of dried blood and monster bits. Whenever the Gorebarian splatters an enemy they gain a stackable damage reduction of 1 for the remainder of the encounter, to a maximum of 3.

Weakness Precision (Ex): At tenth level the Gorebarian can see the enemy’s weak points even more clearly when enraged. This ability replaces Pinpoint the Gore. The critical threat range with all blunt weapons wielded is increased by 2 when the Gorebarian is enraged.

Storm of Gore (Ex): At ninth level the Gorebarian’s Shower of Gore becomes a storm of blood and guts. It can effect up to nine enemies within a 30 ft. cone in front of the Gorebarian when he splatters an enemy. They must make a Will Save (DC 10 + (Half of Barb Level) + (Str Modifier)). Failing the Will Save causes the targets to be sickened at a penalty of -6 for the remainder of the encounter, and all creatures four HD under the Gorebarian who fail their will saves will be frightened outright in disgust.

Hurricane of Gore (Ex): At twelfth level the Gorebarian’s Shower of Gore becomes a hurricane of unbelievable amounts of entrails and blood. It can effect up to twelve enemies within a 60 ft. cone in front of the Gorebarian when he splatters an enemy. They must make a Will Save (DC 10 + (Half of Barb Level) + (Str Modifier)). Failing the Will Save causes the targets to be sickened at a penalty of -8 for the remainder of the encounter as they become burdened with the thick viscous entrails of their allies, and all creatures four HD under the Gorebarian who fail their will saves will be frightened in mortal terror. Creatures eight HD under the Gorebarian are slain from suffering massive heart attacks brought on by such terror.

Encrusted with Entrails (Ex): At thirteenth level when the Gorebarian splatters his foe his body almost seems to draw in gore, making itself a living, screaming, monster of terror. For every foe a Gorebarian splatters in battle he gains a damage reduction of two, up to a maximum of eight per battle. This ability replaces Caked in Gore.

Magnetic Weaknesses (Ex): At fifteenth level the Gorebarian’s weapons are naturally drawn to his enemy’s weak points. The ability replaces Heatsink the Gore. The critical threat range of all blunt weapons wielded by the Gorebarian is increased by 3 when the Gorebarian is enraged.

Incite Weakness (Ex): At sixteenth level the Gorebarian comes to realize, after slaying countless foes in every land and nation, that some foes do not seem to have weak points or explode when he has confronted them. Thusly, the Gorebarian has learned to see past this arbitrary game mechanic and can call forth a weakness in a foe that did not know it had before. The Gorebarian can now make critical hits against foes that are normally immune to them. They will splatter within accordance to what they are, so a zombie would splatter rotten meat and guts, a mummy would splatter dust and bandages, etc.

Shell of Entrails (Ex): At eighteenth level when the Gorebarian splatters his foe, the gore seems to fall on his body and harden like the candy shell treat you’d pour all over your ice cream. For every foe a Gorebarian splatters in battle he gains a damage reduction of three, up to a maximum of twelve per battle. This ability replaces Shell of Gore.

Gorenami (Ex): At nineteenth level the Gorebarian has perfected his art and draws upon mystic energies from the realms of gore and is able to splatter his foes into a massive crashing wave of innards. It can affect all enemies within a 120 cone in front of the Gorebarian, who must make a Will Save (DC 10 + (Half of Barb Level) + (Str Modifier)). Failing the Will Save causes the targets to be sickened at a penalty of -12 for the remainder of the encounter. Enemies four HD below the Gorebarian will be washed away by the gore and enemy’s eight HD below the Gorebarian will drown entirely.

Whispering Weaknesses (Ex): A twentieth level the Gorebarian can actually hear the enemy’s weak points calling out to him. This ability replaces Zone into the Gore. The critical threat range of all blunt weapons wielded by the Gorebarian is increased by 4 when the Gorebarian is enraged.

Greater Rage (Ex): At 11th level, a Gorebarian’s bonuses to Strength and Constitution during his rage each increase to +6, and his morale bonus on Willsaves increases to +3. The penalty to AC remains at –2.

Indomitable Will (Ex): While in a rage, a Gorebarian of 14th level or higher gains a +4 bonus on Will saves to resist enchantment spells. This bonus stacks with all other modifiers, including the morale bonus on Will saves he also receives during his rage.

Tireless Rage (Ex): At 17th level and higher, a Gorebarian no longer becomes fatigued at the end of his rage.

Mighty Rage (Ex): At 20th level, a Gorebarian’s bonuses to Strength and Constitution during his rage each increase to +8, and his morale bonus on Willsaves increases to +4. The penalty to AC remains at –2.
    Last edited by johnroth; 2012-09-27 at 11:12 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: D&D 3.5 Gorebarian Class

Quote Originally Posted by johnroth View Post
    Splatter Strike (Ex): At 2nd level the Barbarian gains the ability to splatter his enemies on a critical strike when he becomes enraged. Critical hits deal an extra (Level/3)d6, but is not multiplied by the critical strike bonus. An enemy killed in this fashion is “splattered” coating the Barbarian with gore and blood. A creature killed in this fashion cannot be resurrected. Only living creatures can be splattered.
    Ever? Not even if they're using wish or miracle or True Resurrection?
    (Level/3)d6 should probably be replaced with entries on the table.

Spray of Gore (Ex): At third level, when an enemy explodes from a Barbarian’s Splatter Strike, blood and gore rain down on the Barbarian’s enemies. Up to three enemies per splatter are showered in this fashion must make a Will Save (DC 10 + (Barb Level) + (Str Modifier)) or be totally grossed out. Opponents grossed out like this receive -2 to their rolls for the remainder of the encounter as they try to wipe the gore off of themselves.
    Base class saving throws should always be based off of half class level, not full. There's already a sickened condition which does exactly what you want, I suggest using that for increased compatibility.
    Shower of Gore (Ex): At sixth level the Barbarian’s Spray of Gore becomes a shower. It can effect up to six enemies in the Barbarian’s immediate area who must make the Will Save (DC 10 + (Barb Level) + (Str Modifier)). Failing the Will Save results in -4 penalties to all rolls for the remainder of the encounter. Creatures that are four levels lower than the Barbarian flee out right at the sight of their comrades being liquefied.
    Change to creatures with at least four hit dice less than the barbarian has class levels are frightened.
    Again with the saving throw.

Overall, probably a slight downgrade on the core barbarian, splatter strike isn't as good as uncanny dodge. It becomes better at higher levels when the shower of gore penalties become larger, but virtually no one takes the higher levels of barbarian so that doesn't matter all that much.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saidoro View Post
    Ever? Not even if they're using wish or miracle or True Resurrection?
    (Level/3)d6 should probably be replaced with entries on the table.
    I can update the chart when I get some more time later tonight. And to be honest, I just figured being splattered into goo would make it hard to be resurrected. Maybe I should just add that a creature killed in this way can only be resurrected by True Resurrection or Miracle?

Base class saving throws should always be based off of half class level, not full. There's already a sickened condition which does exactly what you want, I suggest using that for increased compatibility.

Change to creatures with at least four hit dice less than the barbarian has class levels are frightened.
    Again with the saving throw.
    Can do! On both accounts. Didn't know the sickened thing, so I'll use that. Also, with the four hit dice less, I can do that, I just wasn't entirely aware of how that's figured out. Sorry if I sound stupid. :( A link to how hit die compared to characters is calculated would be appreciated, but if I need to try and find it on my own I'll look.

Overall, probably a slight downgrade on the core barbarian, splatter strike isn't as good as uncanny dodge. It becomes better at higher levels when the shower of gore penalties become larger, but virtually no one takes the higher levels of barbarian so that doesn't matter all that much.
    Yeah, I understand, but I'm more going for fun factor than power gaming munchkin factor. I'll live with some things being underwhelming if it means the criticals will explode the faces off of everything later on.

EDIT - Derp, found time to update it now. Hooray!
    Last edited by johnroth; 2012-09-25 at 02:57 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Alright, I made the suggested changes and changed the names so that "Gore" wasn't in all the Class skill names. If this class is underwhelming compared to a regular Barbarian, what can I do to beef it up? Should I beef it up? I feel like it plays like a normal Barbarian in combat, who when criticals deals a nice round of debuffs to help everyone else in the party out.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Well, after the intro you wrote you cannot ask if you should beef it up. You need more gore!

The thing is that unless I am misunderstanding all this blood comes from killing a foe with a critical hit. That is not very common. I say have an ability that triggers every time a foe is smashed. This makes it more fun and more to the point you want to achieve.

My suggestion is to add the Xd6 as additional damage on a critical hit (so you also multiply). Then the splatter should happen if you kill a foe, regardless if you hit a critical hit or not. Then change the save to 10 + 1/2 Level + Charisma to lower it a bit. Add +1d6 on DC if you kill with a critical hit. Add +1 for every critical hit you have dealt during the encounter as well. So the DC is lower overall but you use it more often and can pile up if you have a few poor minions to splatter on the big boss.

I would also make the critical hit range increase stack with everything else while using an axe or a hammer. At 15 level if you have keen + improved ctritical you can get a 15-20/x3 critical hit range. Nice, but you are 15 level, you must have some way to deal a lot of damage

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waargh! View Post
    Well, after the intro you wrote you cannot ask if you should beef it up. You need more gore!

The thing is that unless I am misunderstanding all this blood comes from killing a foe with a critical hit. That is not very common. I say have an ability that triggers every time a foe is smashed. This makes it more fun and more to the point you want to achieve.

My suggestion is to add the Xd6 as additional damage on a critical hit (so you also multiply). Then the splatter should happen if you kill a foe, regardless if you hit a critical hit or not. Then change the save to 10 + 1/2 Level + Charisma to lower it a bit. Add +1d6 on DC if you kill with a critical hit. Add +1 for every critical hit you have dealt during the encounter as well. So the DC is lower overall but you use it more often and can pile up if you have a few poor minions to splatter on the big boss.

I would also make the critical hit range increase stack with everything else while using an axe or a hammer. At 15 level if you have keen + improved ctritical you can get a 15-20/x3 critical hit range. Nice, but you are 15 level, you must have some way to deal a lot of damage
    Okay, so I took some of your advice. I made it so the splatter damage can be multiplied by the critical multiplier. I think one thing I did was making this was try too hard to gimp the class because I didn't want it to be some big cheaty munchkin thing. But this class is supposed to be based around doing big flashy AWESOME criticals.

Also, I added the caveat that the Gorebarian is only proficient with Blunt weapons. I figure a slashing or piercing weapon isn't going to spread the same layer of gore across the battle field that a blunt weapon would when it strikes into the soft, doughy flesh of opponents

Also, to ensure that this class actually makes critcals more often than others, I dropped fast movement and replaced it with Comprehend Weakness. Now, when enraged and wielding a blunt weapon, the Gorebarian will have an increased critical threat range of 2. So you start out being able to land a crit on 18-20. Keen cannot be used on a blunt weapon, but you could still take "Improved Critical". Now by level 15 you should have a threat range of 14-20. I'm not sure I want to make it so the Gore skills can be used more often, because if you use your feats to make sure you have more chances to attack (Say, taking combat reflexes along with the power attack, cleave, and great cleave chain) by the time your 15 you have a 35 percent chance to land a critical hit. Being able to murder multiple enemies per round is going to make that happen more often, and really, gore shouldn't be spraying out in every direction ALL the time. As much as I want that. And eventually the debuffs do get pretty good.

So, cool. I like how this is turning out. Thank you for the help! Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!
    I'm an aspiring author, and I have a blog. If you visit, please make sure to leave a comment:
    http://johnpaulroth.blogspot.com/
    Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Actually, if you have Impact on a blunt weapon with a 19-20 crit range, you can increase it to 17-20, and 15-20 while raging. If you want a splattermonkey weapon, use the Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer (MM4, greathorn minotaur entry) for a 19-20 x4 range, and at level 20, 13-20.

That's a 35% chance per HIT to threaten. That's, without any buffs, a technical 140% chance to threaten a critical, which instantly splats an enemy.

I like, but there's a bit much in terms of abuse potential.
    please note that incoherent posting is incoherent.
    -Kymme gets all the credit for my current avatar. ALL OF IT.-
    Sig-of-avatars is a GO!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by OneCalledBlue; Genderbent Ithlikar

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

It's a little disappointing that you can't use the giant axe that barbarians love so much.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thump View Post
    Actually, if you have Impact on a blunt weapon with a 19-20 crit range, you can increase it to 17-20, and 15-20 while raging. If you want a splattermonkey weapon, use the Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer (MM4, greathorn minotaur entry) for a 19-20 x4 range, and at level 20, 13-20.

That's a 35% chance per HIT to threaten. That's, without any buffs, a technical 140% chance to threaten a critical, which instantly splats an enemy.

I like, but there's a bit much in terms of abuse potential.

Yeah, I agree. I guess at this point I feel pretty satisfied with what I've got here. I'm not going to go hunting for the Minotaur Greathammer, since I had seen that before and it just sounds too power gamy, and this character would need an exotic weapon proficiency to even use it, something I don't have the feat slots to use. And I'm not going to multi-class fighter so I can get it. I wanted something I could stick with that felt more cohesive than the vanilla barbarian, and allowed me to stay viable late game compared to the other characters in our party.

One question though, where do you get the 140% chance to threaten a critical? Is there something about the mechanics I'm not understanding here? If you roll your crit threat range on the dice you re-roll, and if you hit, you land the crit, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    It's a little disappointing that you can't use the giant axe that barbarians love so much.
    I understand how you feel, but I guess in my mind, it's a bit of a far stretch to say that an axe would splatter an enemy. Perhaps one day I'll try to tackle a "Sunderbarian". For the time being, I'd like to show clubs and maces a little much needed love.

EDIT: Oh, um, that isn't that stupid great hammer. Sheesh, is that really WotC official? Who created that abomination?
    Last edited by johnroth; 2012-09-26 at 01:49 PM.
    I'm an aspiring author, and I have a blog. If you visit, please make sure to leave a comment:
    Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Adding up the percentages. If you have a 35% chance every time you roll to threaten a critical, you are pretty much guaranteed to threaten at least once, if not there being a chance for there to be a second.
    Last edited by Thump; 2012-09-26 at 02:08 PM.
    please note that incoherent posting is incoherent.
    -Kymme gets all the credit for my current avatar. ALL OF IT.-
    Sig-of-avatars is a GO!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by OneCalledBlue; Genderbent Ithlikar

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Adding up the percentages. If you have a 35% chance every time you roll to threaten a critical, you are pretty much guaranteed to threaten at least once, if not there being a chance for there to be a second.

For example:(see next post)
    Are you saying this in reference to being level 16 and attacking four times per round? Okay. So what should I do about this? Bring back down the critical modifiers? Is this inappropriate for a character of that level to have power like that?
    Thanks!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Not quite how it works. I think it's... like an 82% chance to get at least one crit on four attacks, if my feeble recollection of statistics adds up. The chance to get two crits is... different, I don't remember how to figure the probabilities of multiple independent events when each result's likelihood is unequal like that. I didn't pay enough attention in stats class. >_>