New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony VIII: Friendship is Music

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post
    *take hugs right back*

I appreciate the ponies. I really do. I appreciate you guys too.

Ah, it's just, something I was working on, have been working on for a while, got completely rejected as unfeasible by a group I'm a part of, basically out of the blue, with no indicators before hand.

Basically, what happened was a friend of mine, my best friend, had heard stuff about the leaders of the group not really liking it, and decided to tell me, and try to mediate it out between me and the leaders, but just kind of snowballed into complete rejection of what I was working on, and my best friend feels like crap now because hes blaming himself because he thought he should have left well enough alone, and _he_ put a lot of work into it too, to help me.

So, yeah, complete rejection and getting my friend hurt at the same time. Not a good day. I'm sorry if that sounded rambly and not a lot of sense, but I'm pretty out of it right now.

(Plus the movie sucked.)
    Wow, that really stinks. I hope that your friend doesn't beat himself up about this too much; he was just doing what a friend should by helping out where he saw the opportunity to. It might have worked out crappily, but from the sound of things the guys in charge were already ill disposed toward this project for whatever reason. Which is doubly unfortunate, because there is little worse in life than having something you worked hard on get tossed out the window just because it didn't strike a chord with whoever it needed to. For all the stories I have had rejected by publishers, and the contracts that have been terminated early due to ill will with the client... I sympathize. I really do.

But it'll pass, and there will be other projects and opportunities. Keep your chin up, EsperDerek. It's easier to spot the ambushes that way...

edit: also, sorry I'm giving you this lame-o pep talk instead of handing over cute ponies to drown your stress in. I'm such a dweeb.
    Last edited by PhoeKun; 2011-05-21 at 10:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Hugs EsperDerek.

Somebody gets this man a cute picture of Dinky and Derpy! STAT!
    Here you go, some cuteness to help:

Spoiler
    Show

Hope you feel better soon, fellow pony-er!
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

3. - Top - End - #333
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGirl

*hugs EsperDerek*

"What are we without honor, or friends?"
    Mistress of *Squee*
    Write now.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Hugs EsperDerek.

Somebody gets this man a cute picture of Dinky and Derpy! STAT!
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

I've already posted all of my Derpy and Dinky pics, so here's two Derpy ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    'Kay.

Spoiler
    Show

Hope you feel better soon, EsperDerek.

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Here you go, some cuteness to help:

Spoiler
    Show

Hope you feel better soon, fellow pony-er!
    Thanks, everypony. It really means a lot to me that you guys are all like this, willing to try to cheer me up pretty much at a moments notice. It makes me realize I really am a part of something special here. I owe each and every one of you, that's for sure. Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Wow, that really stinks. I hope that your friend doesn't beat himself up about this too much; he was just doing what a friend should by helping out where he saw the opportunity to. It might have worked out crappily, but from the sound of things the guys in charge were already ill disposed toward this project for whatever reason. Which is doubly unfortunate, because there is little worse in life than having something you worked hard on get tossed out the window just because it didn't strike a chord with whoever it needed to. For all the stories I have had rejected by publishers, and the contracts that have been terminated early due to ill will with the client... I sympathize. I really do.

But it'll pass, and there will be other projects and opportunities. Keep your chin up, EsperDerek. It's easier to spot the ambushes that way...

edit: also, sorry I'm giving you this lame-o pep talk instead of handing over cute ponies to drown your stress in. I'm such a dweeb.
    Honestly, it just kinda sucked because I learned that they were pre-disposed against it in the beginning, but never had the courage to tell me until I was passionately involved. If they had of said 'no' in the beginning, then it wouldn't suck so bad. I would have just shrugged it off at the time.

My friend is one of these people who has a big, huge heart, and that is a really good thing, but it can also hurt him really badly too. He's pretty broken up about it, but I'm working on it.

I'll be okay once I decompress. I'm generally an optimistic kinda guy, and I know how to take lifes punches for the most part. This just caught me by surprise. And believe me, Phoe, don't apologize. I really appreciate the pep talk. Don't think otherwise, you're one cool pony.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, it just kinda sucked because I learned that they were pre-disposed against it in the beginning, but never had the courage to tell me until I was passionately involved. If they had of said 'no' in the beginning, then it wouldn't suck so bad. I would have just shrugged it off at the time.

My friend is one of these people who has a big, huge heart, and that is a really good thing, but it can also hurt him really badly too. He's pretty broken up about it, but I'm working on it.

I'll be okay once I decompress. I'm generally an optimistic kinda guy, and I know how to take lifes punches for the most part. This just caught me by surprise. And believe me, Phoe, don't apologize. I really appreciate the pep talk. Don't think otherwise, you're one cool pony.
    I don't know if it will help your friend any, but you can tell him I really admire his actions and think he did the right thing, regardless of the outcome. And if the words of a total stranger who is nevertheless "one cool pony" can't set his heart at ease, nothing ever will. Except... you know... time and rational thought and any sort of decompression... and lots of other stuff I don't have time to mention.

You could say I'm a little tied up. *sunglasses, The Who*
    Last edited by PhoeKun; 2011-05-21 at 11:19 PM.

6. - Top - End - #336

NinjaGirl

More hugs.

Spoiler
    Show

and

Mistress of *Squee*
    Write now.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I saw, I just hadn't made it through the post backlog ><
    I am staggered. I feel I owe you money now >_>

It's EsperDerek as Midnight (you can use his avatar for reference), and the colt is indeed Thanqol's self-insert. All I remember are a grey coat and an iron mask as cutie mark (I went for the dr doom look). It's almost noon in canberra, so he should healing soon to give you more specifics.

As a side note, the hoof sticking up on the right is supposed to be a hind leg to show the confined space. Since his other forehoof doesn't appear anywhere, I don't think I pulled it off...
    This particular mask design is what I think of when I think of myself ponified. Though I am fine with Dr. Doom as a standby. Dark grey coat, dark brown hair, and blue eyes (While my eyes are not blue, I have multiple glowing blue lights about my person at any point in time which are a stronger tertiary colour).

Also, TIME TO DO HOMEWORK.

Esper, have a hug voucher. Good for one hug AND/OR bondage.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-05-21 at 11:42 PM.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't know if it will help your friend any, but you can tell him I really admire his actions and think he did the right thing, regardless of the outcome. And if the words of a total stranger who is nevertheless "one cool pony" can't set his heart at ease, nothing ever will. Except... you know... time and rational thought and any sort of decompression... and lots of other stuff I don't have time to mention.

I've passed the message on, and basically insisted that I believe the same thing. Because I do. It's really appreciated, though, Phoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv Sonata View Post
    More hugs.

Spoiler
    Show

and
    More hugs! I like hugs. Thank you very much for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Esper, have a hug voucher. Good for one hug AND/OR bondage.
    Oo. Hug and bondage? I think I like that one too.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

...How do you put on sunglasses when you're tied up?

10. - Top - End - #340

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    ...How do you put on sunglasses when you're tied up?
    Probably the same way a pony reads a book without fingers at all, let alone opposable thumbs.

Mistress of *Squee*
    Write now.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Orc in the Playground

When a line is cool enough, sunglasses appear. It's one of the basic laws of physics.

(Ones sympathy goes out to you, EsperDerek. I apologise for the lack of pics to back this up, but the sentiment is still present.)
    Last edited by Darkmyst; 2011-05-22 at 12:25 AM.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I has, in fact, duns a drawin' in me own foul hand to illustrate the most likely outcome of such an event, extrapolating from what happened last time.

(Thanks to AlterForm for the proportions link, as it helped considerably with my somewhat mediocre drawing skills.)

Unfortunately, I don't have a working scanner to hand (well, that is, one capable of scanning an image I can upload to your primitive interwebs), so scanning/uploading it'll have to wait until I come home after tomorrow's wargames convention and I can pinch my sister's more terrestial one.

So something to look foward too/dread for tomorrow, then...
    Perhaps I shall. Or perhaps it is YOU who should do the looking forward to/dreading for tomorrow!

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Only 2 more pages in 11 hours? Did the Rapture really occure and you guys went to heaven?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    Only 2 more pages in 11 hours? Did the Rapture really occure and you guys went to heaven?

Spoiler
    Show
    It'll start up again soon enough.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks, everypony. It really means a lot to me that you guys are all like this, willing to try to cheer me up pretty much at a moments notice. It makes me realize I really am a part of something special here. I owe each and every one of you, that's for sure. Thank you so much.
    I know I'm a bit late on the sentiment, but I'd like to give you a slightly awkward man-hug. It sounds like yesterday was a double-whammy of awful for you, and hopefully today will be better.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    It'll start up again soon enough.
    If I have anything to do with it don't worry.

Also Esperderek you are permitted to hide in the underground bunker/ have hugs. Your choice.

(hope you feel better soon)
    Protect Humanity
    Enslave the gods

17. - Top - End - #347
    Colossus in the Playground

Totally gonna learn to draw up in this bizzo.

First, humanity. Then, the ponies. Then, ALL THE PONIES.

I blame the pone for this. Also, SiuiS.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Orc in the Playground

Making such a declaration in front of others, and starting a thread to record your progress... you're certainly a brave one Thanqol. One wishes you the best in this endevour .

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by invinible View Post
    Can you show us that video?
    Oddly enough, somehow, the high-grade military video data feeds from a group who's technology level is in excess of the galactic average by a fair margin (and proportionately further away from 21st century Earth as that is from the Sumarians) does not output a file format (or, for that matter file size) compatible with, I dunno, Youtube... Equally strangely, no-one in the Aotrs has created the requisite pieces of software and hardware to translate the two, in basically the same way no-one has develeoped them to translate Blueray to gramophone...

And even if I could, it's classfied to pretty much anyone below rating 7 (which is approximately Commander)1 by none other than Lord Death Despoil himself.

However, in recompense, here is the aforementioned pictorial extrapolation of what would happen were I to open a portal to Equestria, based on the data from Siege of Dream Castle incident.

Spoiler
    Show

This is about the peak of my drawing ability. While my drawing skills are reasonbly passable (and much better when drawing vehicles), it's is not something that comes naturally to me, and the time/quality ratio is heavily skewed to the latter. I am, at the end of the day, a necromancer, not an artist, dammit. My artistic talents lie in other areas, i.e. in designing and painting starships2. (So if you wanted pony starships, I'd be your Lich...) Still, not a bad effort, if I do say so myself. It may provoke a laugh or two (for one reason or another...)

1My own actual rank is Commadore (rating 5), not a Commander (I got promoted twice since I started using this screen name.)

Spoiler
    Show
    That lot was designed on a CADs package by me and then 3D printed at a place called Shapeways, and then painted (and the little sods took hours, thanks to the way-more-complex that usual colour scheme!)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2011-05-22 at 09:36 AM.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    Haven't you heard? Rapture has been cancelled. Twice :P

Though, I'd like for someone to explain to me why everyone is talking about it now - I apparently missed some new meme

Also, more happiness:

Spoiler
    Show

This time showing there is no BraeDash, specially for Phoe for her gallant behaviour :P

About two things I haven't addressed in the past thread - First, better animation (from the ad). Well, why insert better animation with actually quasi-3D characters (instead of regular paper cutouts) into the show? To make it better, duh? :P

Someone said it might look weird - but I've seen many animes where animation quality jumps for the scenes that are supposed to be more important, which can look awesome if done right - and besides, the MLP series already did this (replaced character models for especially important scenes for better animation) and no one said anything - so it might not be as noticeable as you think

About Hasbro paying itself for showing MLP advertisement on the Hub - someone said it might be the case to 'keep accounts' clear inside company. Well, maybe, but based on what I saw in my home country, I seriously doubt it, because Hasbro would then need to pay the tax for selling services to itself (which is pointless money bleed) and besides, I've seen companies doing stupider things that completely obscured money flow to the point it was unclear which part of the company was responsible for the profit. So, I think Hasbro just shows these without regard for keeping track and/or paying anything. But, I won't argue without more data.
    Above Us Only Sky

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post

Though, I'd like for someone to explain to me why everyone is talking about it now - I apparently missed some new meme
    It isn't really a meme. The guy who started it had stupid amounts of money and was able to advertise it. There's ads in the subway system where I live, and ads on that subway are EXPENSIVE.

About two things I haven't addressed in the past thread - First, better animation (from the ad). Well, why insert better animation with actually quasi-3D characters (instead of regular paper cutouts) into the show? To make it better, duh? :P

Someone said it might look weird - but I've seen many animes where animation quality jumps for the scenes that are supposed to be more important, which can look awesome if done right - and besides, the MLP series already did this (replaced character models for especially important scenes for better animation) and no one said anything - so it might not be as noticeable as you think
    If done right. Big example in my mind of them putting better animation for one or two characters poorly is the Hey Arnold! movie, where Arnold and his best friend who's name I've momentarily forgotten had their animation upgraded nicely while everything else was done in the same quality as the show. And two cases I can think of where (IMO) an 'upgrade' in the animation between seasons killed the show are Sticking Around and Johnny Test. I liked the animation in both much better before the change. I'm just hoping My Little Pony doesn't suffer something similar. I'm kinda really fond of the current style.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ettin in the Playground

Some guy with a lot of money spent a lot of money to convince people (mostly in the US, I guess) that the Rapture was going to happen yesterday at 6 pm. And I guess he was right, because now I'm on the moon. Wheeeeeee~

Thanks, Princess Celestia! This is the bestest present ever!

Also, more happiness:

Spoiler
    Show

This time showing there is no BraeDash, specially for Phoe for her gallant behaviour :P
    There are three things that disturb me about this picture.

1) Dash's face at the end (she's melting!)
    2) That... filly. Why is she red? Wouldn't that mean... no brain! Disengage! Abort line of thought, abort!
    3) This is a reward for my gallant behavior? I was behaving gallantly?

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

The show now has THREE dedicated time slots!

About time! I checked my Hub, for every MLP:FIM episode they air in a week, they air like 20 "Happy Days" reruns.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2011-05-22 at 12:04 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

24. - Top - End - #354
    Orc in the Playground

2) That... filly. Why is she red? Wouldn't that mean... no brain! Disengage! Abort line of thought, abort!
    1: Given the speeds she travels at with no facial protection, I'm surprised she doesn't look like that by default :P.

2: ... Red paint. Has to be. No other explaination. Nope. None at all. Absolutely not. (Besides, it doesn't really go well with the hair)

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

Psst, hey Aotrs. I finished that thing I was throwing together.

Spoiler
    Show

You cannot escape their combined sneakiness!

EDIT:

Also I lol'd at the latest ED picture.

EDIT 2.0:
    Bugger. Don't seem to like that poster as much as I thought I did. I'll have to fully ponify Creed later today to fix that problem.
    Last edited by Kyouhen; 2011-05-22 at 12:34 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

Some guy with a lot of money spent a lot of money to convince people (mostly in the US, I guess) that the Rapture was going to happen yesterday at 6 pm.
    Huh, must be US thing, then.

And I guess he was right, because now I'm on the moon. Wheeeeeee~

Thanks, Princess Celestia! This is the bestest present ever!
    And now, Trollestia realized she went too far and tries to pretend she is Luna to somehow go back while keeping face intact

Huh, moon rocks aren't that bad once you get used to them.

There are three things that disturb me about this picture.

I think it's traced from the show.

But yes, she seriously need to have some protective gear.

Maybe RD is the one 'wearing pants' in this relationship?

Why, yes, 'taking the ropes' for the sake of the thread... *cracks whip*
    Above Us Only Sky

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    EDIT 2.0:
    Bugger. Don't seem to like that poster as much as I thought I did. I'll have to fully ponify Creed later today to fix that problem.
    I'll have to fully ponify Creed later today to fix that problem.
    ponify Creed
    Do it do it do it do it do it do it do it!

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crown of Thorns View Post
    Do it do it do it do it do it do it do it!
    Dammit, I was originally just going to ponify his head so I could make that poster look better. But now I'm going to have to do the rest of him. Confound these ponies!

EDIT:
    And now I just had an idea. This is a bad thing.
    Last edited by Kyouhen; 2011-05-22 at 12:51 PM.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    EDIT:
    And now I just had an idea. This is a bad thing.
    What idea?
    Above Us Only Sky

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

About Hasbro paying itself for showing MLP advertisement on the Hub - someone said it might be the case to 'keep accounts' clear inside company. Well, maybe, but based on what I saw in my home country, I seriously doubt it, because Hasbro would then need to pay the tax for selling services to itself (which is pointless money bleed) and besides, I've seen companies doing stupider things that completely obscured money flow to the point it was unclear which part of the company was responsible for the profit. So, I think Hasbro just shows these without regard for keeping track and/or paying anything. But, I won't argue without more data.
    Think about what you wrote, and you will have an answer.
    Short version:
    Government makes laws, government lives from taxes. Government makes laws to keep people from not paying taxes.
    Long version:
    Tax authorities always emphasize correct accounting. Otherwise companies could shuffle gains from state/nations with high taxes into ones with low taxes. Which they try to do, it's an eternal battle between private and public.
    Also, since HUB is not solely owned by Hasbro they can't shift the gains without committing financial fraud.
    last but not least, managers are usually at least partially paid according to the company's gains. And more importantly, the prestige of a manager and the influence he has derives from the amount of money he makes. You'd be surprised how many economic decisions are made out of spite or to impress people at the next summit.

Economic analysis is depressing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin