New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 45 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw!

That's the best kind of learning, i'd say. Drawing things that are fun.

(Meanwhile, drawing things repeatedly? In a way, yes. Except not exactly the same thing. Just basic concepts, like "hands", in various poses and angles, so you can wrap your head around how they work.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Day 222a: Will Draw For food nothing

Ponythread IRC made me draw for them. Have some sketches.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, you... you drew a candle. Ooooh, that's... clever, I guess. ^^

3. - Top - End - #753
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Oh, you... you drew a candle. Ooooh, that's... clever, I guess. ^^
    The words you said to me were "Draw Candle?". And the more vague the request is the more fun I'll have trolling you over it.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-12-26 at 07:47 PM.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    What's the bit from Stardust? "Every lover is a poet in his head and a madman in his heart"?

And you were right: I was missing out by not reading Gaiman
    To quote a very different author, 'Everyone says love is blind. What no-one tells you is it's stupid, too.'
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Troll in the Playground

The words you said to me were "Draw Candle?". And the more vague the request is the more fun I'll have trolling you over it.
    Indeed <.<

Anyway, hrm, constructive art stuff...lessee...Thanqol, you should totally draw Pipsqueak the Air Pirate in battle with his dread nemesis of the skies (nemesis to be determined by artist)!
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

6. - Top - End - #756

Indeed <.<

Anyway, hrm, constructive art stuff...lessee...Thanqol, you should totally draw Pipsqueak the Air Pirate in battle with his dread nemesis of the skies (nemesis to be determined by artist)!
    On the list!

Day 223: Superpowers

Superpowers.

Superpowers everywhere.

Spoiler
    Show

And because skeletons are scarier in the dark (totally wasn't a misclick with the bucket tool)

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 40 mins
    Music: If I Only Were A Goth

7. - Top - End - #757
    Barbarian in the Playground

So you seem to know what you are doing with proportions. I do not understand them. I keep hearing about measuring people in head sizes, but I try to draw someone with the head-measured proportions that the book shows, and they come out taller than the Onceler. Can you help?

8. - Top - End - #758
    Troll in the Playground

On the list!

Day 223: Superpowers

Superpowers.

Superpowers everywhere.

Spoiler
    Show

And because skeletons are scarier in the dark (totally wasn't a misclick with the bucket tool)

Spoiler
    Show

Music: If I Only Were A Goth
    Did you use a reference for the anatomy? And if so, which?

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #759

Quote Originally Posted by fizzybobnewt View Post
    So you seem to know what you are doing with proportions. I do not understand them. I keep hearing about measuring people in head sizes, but I try to draw someone with the head-measured proportions that the book shows, and they come out taller than the Onceler. Can you help?
    Okay, here's how I do it.

1) Draw a straight line
    2) Divide that line in half, halfs again, halfs again so you've got 8 segments. The head is one segment and one segment only.
    3) The lowest part of the torso goes right in the half way point. Legs are 50% of the height of any given person.

I did that manually a few times, but I feel like I'm getting the hang of it by now. There's some tutorial links buried in here, too, I'll dig them out later.

Did you use a reference for the anatomy? And if so, which?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-12-27 at 08:19 PM.

10. - Top - End - #760

Day 224: Spiderbots

Spiderbots.

Spiderbots everywhere.

Spoiler
    Show

Music: Winter Wrap Up (Pegasus Trance)
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-12-28 at 01:11 AM.

11. - Top - End - #761

Indeed <.<

Day 225: Nemesised

Today I realised I have no idea how to draw the back of a pony's head. I've, in fact, got minimal idea of what the back of a pony's head looks like. The topic has been researched, but I ran out of brainjuice so this one's going to be incomplete for a while.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 45 mins
    Music: Sailing For Adventure

12. - Top - End - #762
    Troll in the Playground

Today I realised I have no idea how to draw the back of a pony's head. I've, in fact, got minimal idea of what the back of a pony's head looks like. The topic has been researched, but I ran out of brainjuice so this one's going to be incomplete for a while.

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, it's surprisingly hard to get the mane looking right from the back. In a picture I'm trying to put together, I'm having a devil of a time getting the various pony angles right, especially over-the-shoulder views...

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #763

Day 225a: Pictures I Will Never Adequately Explain To My Parents

Goddamn it you people

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Oh! Oh! You've watched Muppet Treasure Island too?
    Day 225a: Pictures I Will Never Adequately Explain To My Parents

Goddamn it you people

Spoiler
    Show
    Hee IRC has best ideas- or was it worst ideas? I dunno!
    Imagined the foxes a little bigger, but thank you for drawing!

15. - Top - End - #765

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Oh! Oh! You've watched Muppet Treasure Island too?
    I grew up on Muppet Treasure Island.

Hee IRC has best ideas- or was it worst ideas? I dunno!
    Imagined the foxes a little bigger, but thank you for drawing!
    Specifics otherwise randomness

Day 226: Liar

Just go and look at it.

I put this down to experience gained from watching Dispo!

Finished.

Time: 3 hours
    Music: Twilight Sparkle v TG&PT

16. - Top - End - #766
    Troll in the Playground

The best Treasure Island!

Just go and look at it.

Finished.

I really like the shading on her body - it just looks right to me. I also like the effect you got with the mane; what exactly did you do there?

Also, I'm super jealous that you're actually close to a tablet...

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #767

The best Treasure Island!

I really like the shading on her body - it just looks right to me. I also like the effect you got with the mane; what exactly did you do there?

Also, I'm super jealous that you're actually close to a tablet...
    I ran over the edges of the shading on the body with the blur tool. The mane was flats of colour, and then long thin, bristled, darker lines to get the hair effect over the top. I then went over it with a few thin strokes of the lighter colour to break the lines up a little bit. All on the same layer on SAI, so the paints blended a bit. Afterwards, I went over it with a bit of a darker water on a higher layer at 50% transparency to mute the colours a little bit when it looked to be a bit too bright.

And don't get too jealous, because I have to leave my tablet behind tomorrow as I go up to Sydney. Internet access is again erratic, ya'll know the drill, so while I will be drawing every day I might not be able to upload every day.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-12-30 at 12:14 AM.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

Auuuuugh such a good movie...

Just go and look at it.

Finished.

Metal Mask is going to get a happy ending, right, Thanqol? ...Right?

19. - Top - End - #769

Day 227: Away

All I'm gonna have time for today. Happy New Years

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 20 minutes various scribbling
    Music: Must be Dreaming

20. - Top - End - #770

Day 228: Wrong Inspiration

God, I hate being away from my tablet. Pencil and paper just feels wrong by this point. Where is my ctrl-z?

Time to man up and manage it, though. The upshot is I figured out how to avoid getting shadows on my finished drawing while photographing them! (In retrospect I was really dumb for not figuring it out before)

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #771
    Dwarf in the Playground

Things have been incredibly busy for me lately, so I haven't been able to comment on things. But I have free time again now, so here are my comments on some of the days, roughly in order:

Day 222: Yay, anatomy practice! Yes, that quote is very true. Lots of studying and lots of practice are what it takes to get better. Also, have I linked you to this yet? It looks like you used it, or at least something similar, when you drew the faces. And I'm glad that you're drawing faces from different angles, since so many artists fall into the trap of just drawing faces from one or two different angles and never switching it up.

Day 222a + day 225a: Ha, I hear that that's what happens when one offers to draw stuff for free.

Day 228: There are a few anatomy mistakes in this one, mainly that her neck is way too long, and her head shape looks a little . . . square-ish, I guess. It might just be me, but I think that her ankles should be a little thinner as well, and her breasts are really large, though not quite impossibly so. You seem to have gotten the proportions pretty good, except the head and neck. I've also always found crossed arms to be really difficult, and you did that really well in this picture.

And because I always spam you with tutorials, here is a great tutorial on the process of a truly amazing drawing. Here is quite possibly the best tutorial I have found on digital art ever. I spent many hours clicking through it when I found it, and at the very least the section on drawing heads will probably be helpful for you (the artist uses a non standard method of drawing faces and getting the proportions right, and I found that section very helpful in my own work).

My deviantART account: link.

22. - Top - End - #772

Quote Originally Posted by Silviya View Post
    Things have been incredibly busy for me lately, so I haven't been able to comment on things. But I have free time again now, so here are my comments on some of the days, roughly in order:

Day 222: Yay, anatomy practice! Yes, that quote is very true. Lots of studying and lots of practice are what it takes to get better. Also, have I linked you to this yet? It looks like you used it, or at least something similar, when you drew the faces. And I'm glad that you're drawing faces from different angles, since so many artists fall into the trap of just drawing faces from one or two different angles and never switching it up.
    You have, that's what I worked off

Day 228: There are a few anatomy mistakes in this one, mainly that her neck is way too long, and her head shape looks a little . . . square-ish, I guess. It might just be me, but I think that her ankles should be a little thinner as well, and her breasts are really large, though not quite impossibly so. You seem to have gotten the proportions pretty good, except the head and neck. I've also always found crossed arms to be really difficult, and you did that really well in this picture.
    I made the cardinal mistake of working off a cartoon which skewed a few things even though I did my best to correct with acquired knowledge. I'll remember my rules next time.

And because I always spam you with tutorials, here is a great tutorial on the process of a truly amazing drawing. Here is quite possibly the best tutorial I have found on digital art ever. I spent many hours clicking through it when I found it, and at the very least the section on drawing heads will probably be helpful for you (the artist uses a non standard method of drawing faces and getting the proportions right, and I found that section very helpful in my own work).
    Excellent, I look forwards to reviewing these in detail once I'm back with my tablet

Day 229: White Collar

I've decided to embrace the limitations of pencil rather than whine about being away from the tablet. That is to say, I'm using the sketchbook for quick examples of pose, perspective, anatomy and shape rather than trying for complex pictures like I normally would. It's not going to look very good, but looking good isn't the point.

Today's piece was a proof-of-concept, using 3H pencils to box out a body shape and 2B to do linework and shading. Working off television is hard because people are always moving and running around; but makes it a good challenge. I'm going to focus on my basics and fundamentals so I'll be able to apply even more when I'm back at the computer. It's a good role for the sketchpad in my life, I think.

Fracked the legs, though, that was a derp moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-01-02 at 03:00 AM.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Troll in the Playground

Day 229: White Collar

I've decided to embrace the limitations of pencil rather than whine about being away from the tablet. That is to say, I'm using the sketchbook for quick examples of pose, perspective, anatomy and shape rather than trying for complex pictures like I normally would. It's not going to look very good, but looking good isn't the point.

Today's piece was a proof-of-concept, using 3H pencils to box out a body shape and 2B to do linework and shading. Working off television is hard because people are always moving and running around; but makes it a good challenge. I'm going to focus on my basics and fundamentals so I'll be able to apply even more when I'm back at the computer. It's a good role for the sketchpad in my life, I think.

Fracked the legs, though, that was a derp moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    One thing that I think is worth celebrating about traditional media is the ease of having texture. I know Corel can kind of mimic that, and with more effort a lot of programs can duplicate it, but there is a really nice effect you can get with shading on sketch paper with a little bit of tooth, or using pastel paper, etc.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #774

One thing that I think is worth celebrating about traditional media is the ease of having texture. I know Corel can kind of mimic that, and with more effort a lot of programs can duplicate it, but there is a really nice effect you can get with shading on sketch paper with a little bit of tooth, or using pastel paper, etc.
    At this point, I'm familiar enough with SAI's texture options to prefer them to real media.

Day 230: Rarity Is Best Pony

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #775

Day 231: A key?

No, much more better: It's a drawing of a key.

More drawings are happening, just not uploading them all 'cause they're mostly junk.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #776

Day 231a: Speedsketching

Rapid fire sketches of people's faces. I blame attempting to use an unfamiliar pencil type for the blurriness of some images, I switched back to a 2B later.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #777
    Banned

Day 227: Away

All I'm gonna have time for today. Happy New Years

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 20 minutes various scribbling
    Music: Must be Dreaming
    Beautiful.

Day 228: Wrong Inspiration

God, I hate being away from my tablet. Pencil and paper just feels wrong by this point. Where is my ctrl-z?

Time to man up and manage it, though. The upshot is I figured out how to avoid getting shadows on my finished drawing while photographing them! (In retrospect I was really dumb for not figuring it out before)

Spoiler
    Show
    Share, man! Share! Those shadows are my bane.

And your finding physical media lacking fills me with this strange, sad, disturbed feeling. Like listening to people talk about sprituality as if the material was useless, or the reverse. It's so... Unholistic.

And you know, there's no reason for it. Digital media is better than actual, in almost every way. It feels weird to know you're old fashioned but not be able to do anything about it...

28. - Top - End - #778

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

Beautiful.
    Remarkable what you can do with 15 strokes.

Share, man! Share! Those shadows are my bane.
    Prop it against a wall/stand it up in a chair. Make the notebook vertical or diagonal.

I can already hear the sound of you slapping your forehead.

And your finding physical media lacking fills me with this strange, sad, disturbed feeling. Like listening to people talk about sprituality as if the material was useless, or the reverse. It's so... Unholistic.

And you know, there's no reason for it. Digital media is better than actual, in almost every way. It feels weird to know you're old fashioned but not be able to do anything about it...
    Oh, I know, I know there's a time and a place for pencil and paper, and I filled some of the gap today by buying a new set of pencils and a decent eraser. But I'm dreaming in colour right now, imagining paints, thinking of all the pictures I want to make and things I want to practise and virtually none of it has anything to do with lead and paper.

Actual paints are something of a different story. Having looked at my great uncle's masterpieces, I've become amazingly aware of how a painting is a 3D construction. The surface isn't smooth, like in digital art; some parts jut out, others you can see the canvas underneath. That's fascinating.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Barbarian in the Playground

Suggestion!

I think it's most important to work on your fundamentals before hitting up digital specific stuff, and when I mean fundamentals I mean knowing the basics that can be applied to any medium. Here's a great site that I used to help myself in anatomical studies when I started taking this stuff seriously. There's a better site that uses real models rather than 3D models, but people tend to get too focused on details when dealing with photos, so this should be able to help you out for now. Once you outgrow the site, I wouldn't mind giving you the link to the other one!

Posemaniacs!

How you use this is set the program to 30 second drawings, and try to get the basics of the pose and anatomy down as soon as you can. Keep the sketches quick and small. If you don't feel confident with getting the forms down at the beginning, simply focus on how the spine contorts - the spine, shoulders, and pelvis are the foundations of anatomy and the most important thing in almost all poses!

Remember, keep it simple. I find a lot of people tend to focus too much on the details when their basics can be improved - the reason I find this troubling is because it stifles their growth. Learning details before learning basics is like building a house on unstable ground. Once you improve your basics, that ground is going to collapse and you'll find to build a new house on better ground.

Here's an example of one of my exercises with the site.

Spoiler
    Show

Most important thing when drawing is to remember to think in 3D! When looking at something, don't just see the 2D picture in front of your eyes. You have to imagine the backside of the object, how it looks in a 360 degree angle, and by applying that you'll be able to bring it to life!

Still, reading is never a good substitute for actual practice. Good luck!

30. - Top - End - #780

Quote Originally Posted by Elagune View Post
    Suggestion!

I think it's most important to work on your fundamentals before hitting up digital specific stuff, and when I mean fundamentals I mean knowing the basics that can be applied to any medium. Here's a great site that I used to help myself in anatomical studies when I started taking this stuff seriously. There's a better site that uses real models rather than 3D models, but people tend to get too focused on details when dealing with photos, so this should be able to help you out for now. Once you outgrow the site, I wouldn't mind giving you the link to the other one!

Posemaniacs!

How you use this is set the program to 30 second drawings, and try to get the basics of the pose and anatomy down as soon as you can. Keep the sketches quick and small. If you don't feel confident with getting the forms down at the beginning, simply focus on how the spine contorts - the spine, shoulders, and pelvis are the foundations of anatomy and the most important thing in almost all poses!

Remember, keep it simple. I find a lot of people tend to focus too much on the details when their basics can be improved - the reason I find this troubling is because it stifles their growth. Learning details before learning basics is like building a house on unstable ground. Once you improve your basics, that ground is going to collapse and you'll find to build a new house on better ground.

Here's an example of one of my exercises with the site.

Spoiler
    Show

Most important thing when drawing is to remember to think in 3D! When looking at something, don't just see the 2D picture in front of your eyes. You have to imagine the backside of the object, how it looks in a 360 degree angle, and by applying that you'll be able to bring it to life!

Still, reading is never a good substitute for actual practice. Good luck!
    I've actually been doing a lot of practise along this theme recently, what comes with my recent bust-self-down-to-fundamentals decision. Thanks for the link to posemaniacs, though, it seems like a great help for what I'm doing right now.

I'll do a few pages of this tomorrow and post the results