New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw!

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    anatomy is hard on cartoon horses...).
    Urgh, tell me about it.

Thanks for this; I was trying to think spatially and in basic shapes, but I keep forgetting that basic shapes can apply to everything. Ironically, I was supposed to be practising this throughout minimalism week but then I got flooded with avatar requests! I'll do my best to apply the lesson to all pictures until it's got the hang of.

(If you've got a request waiting, I'll try to finish some tomorrow )

2. - Top - End - #902

[Forum error, please proceed in an orderly fashion]

3. - Top - End - #903
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    [Forum error, please proceed in an orderly fashion]
    You can delete posts, you know.

Also, observation. The problem in the pic is not with AJ's left foreleg, but with the right one, and less pronounced than Zorg puts it, as the perspective changes between the measurement points he uses. Just move the right leg a little back and it should seem fine. And "defining" the hoof like that is about the worst thing done, because it makes it seem as if the "wrist" joint bends the wrong way. ("Hay look Rainbow, Ah've broken mah leg!") The actual solution would be to flip the tip of the extended hoof vertically, so as to imply a twist of the leg as if the bottom of the hoof is facing away from the viewer, which would actually make the pose possible. Alternatively, move the point at which the leg bends further up the limb, implying bending at the elbow joint rather than the wrist.

Otherwise, agree on the keg and the cloth bit.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post

Also, observation. The problem in the pic is not with AJ's left foreleg, but with the right one, and less pronounced than Zorg puts it, as the perspective changes between the measurement points he uses. Just move the right leg a little back and it should seem fine. And "defining" the hoof like that is about the worst thing done, because it makes it seem as if the "wrist" joint bends the wrong way. ("Hay look Rainbow, Ah've broken mah leg!") The actual solution would be to flip the tip of the extended hoof vertically, so as to imply a twist of the leg as if the bottom of the hoof is facing away from the viewer, which would actually make the pose possible. Alternatively, move the point at which the leg bends further up the limb, implying bending at the elbow joint rather than the wrist.

Agreed, for the most part, though I do think moving the left foreleg was a better move. Also, not sure how much I agree on the keg, that change just makes it look a little ... thin to me, more disk-like and less barrel-like, if that makes sense.

Also, the one thing that sticks out to me the most is that the extended leg is a bit long. It just looks disproportionately long compared to the other legs. And in the edited pic, the left foreleg looks just a teensy bit short.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

5. - Top - End - #905

That was a weight bearing post. It holds up the entire page. Without it we wouldn't be able to proceed in an orderly fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflight View Post
    Agreed, for the most part, though I do think moving the left foreleg was a better move. Also, not sure how much I agree on the keg, that change just makes it look a little ... thin to me, more disk-like and less barrel-like, if that makes sense.

Also, the one thing that sticks out to me the most is that the extended leg is a bit long. It just looks disproportionately long compared to the other legs. And in the edited pic, the left foreleg looks just a teensy bit short.
    Conflicting advice! AAAAAH *Dives out window*

Hearing this, though, makes me realise that I've consistently messed up pony leg sizes recently. I've done better with head/bodies but there's a real case of noodlehooves going on here that I need to sort out. I need to find a mnemonic reminder for leg proportions and joints and memorise it.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-01-26 at 08:23 PM.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Banned

Hearing this, though, makes me realise that I've consistently messed up pony leg sizes recently. I've done better with head/bodies but there's a real case of noodlehooves going on here that I need to sort out. I need to find a mnemonic reminder for leg proportions and joints and memorise it.
    Easier said than done. In several shots, the leg proportions change based on how the artist needs the pony to use its leg. So the position of the hints actually, canonically shifts...

Pony legs are otherwise 1 head in length (in that the circle of the head should be able to just fit between pony belly and floor). The legs are almost evenly split, except that (without extenuating circumstances) the middle 'third' takes priority, and comes out longer. The part between the shoulder and the elbow is also pretty short, compared to the opposite piece that is the wrist to the hoof tip.

Pony legs can be thought of in human terms, if you splay out your fingers into a 5-point formation, and consider that the hoof.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Troll in the Playground

I know your pain...especially with the ATG running for the past few days! I think I'm finally to the point of saying "I can't figure out a good measuring unit, so I'll just fiddle with them in my sketch layer until they don't look derped".

...it isn't quite the rigorous process I'd like it to be...

One point I'd like to suggest though is to shoot for grace even if you have issues with length; I find that a swoopy but too-long leg looks better than a properly sized but stubby one.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

8. - Top - End - #908

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

Easier said than done. In several shots, the leg proportions change based on how the artist needs the pony to use its leg. So the position of the hints actually, canonically shifts...

Pony legs are otherwise 1 head in length (in that the circle of the head should be able to just fit between pony belly and floor). The legs are almost evenly split, except that (without extenuating circumstances) the middle 'third' takes priority, and comes out longer. The part between the shoulder and the elbow is also pretty short, compared to the opposite piece that is the wrist to the hoof tip.

Pony legs can be thought of in human terms, if you splay out your fingers into a 5-point formation, and consider that the hoof.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    I know your pain...especially with the ATG running for the past few days! I think I'm finally to the point of saying "I can't figure out a good measuring unit, so I'll just fiddle with them in my sketch layer until they don't look derped".

...it isn't quite the rigorous process I'd like it to be...

One point I'd like to suggest though is to shoot for grace even if you have issues with length; I find that a swoopy but too-long leg looks better than a properly sized but stubby one.
    Right. Thanks. I'll try to remember this

Day 254: Harmony

Some days, one just wants to throw all learning and practise and hard work to the side and just make something beautiful.

Inspired by the painting by Cathy Felstead.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1.5 hours
    Music: Nothing But Everything
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-01-27 at 12:46 AM.

9. - Top - End - #909

Day 254a: May Or May Not Be Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelhero View Post
    ART! I LOVE ART! especially FREE art!

Id like to see myself, or Ponyard Chibi'd.

Im never spotted without a fedora on, or some goofy expression on my face.
    Spoiler
    Show

And well.... your part of pony thread. You know how Ponyard is.

OOOHHH maybe ponyard being attacked by Filly!Pierce and Skyrocket?
    Up to you buddy! Beggars cant be choosers.
    This is all I got.

10. - Top - End - #910

Day 255: The Disco King

Sorry about the quejump, but I got dissed, and dissing vengeance waits for nopony.

Time: 20 Mins
    Music: Solar Empire v Lunar Republic
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-01-27 at 09:02 AM.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 255: The Disco King

Sorry about the quejump, but I got dissed, and dissing vengeance waits for nopony.

Time: 20 Mins
    Music: Solar Empire v Lunar Republic
    Dissed? What happened?

Also, why am I now thinking of the dance scene from The Matrix....?
    Last edited by Hawkflight; 2012-01-27 at 09:24 AM.
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

12. - Top - End - #912

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflight View Post
    Dissed? What happened?

Also, why am I now thinking of the dance scene from The Matrix....?
    This post:

Heh. Very funny. Would it be funny if your Mask was suddenly lined with magnesium?

Anyway, I keep trying to get a drawing of myself done, but for all the other skills I've accumulated over my time as a Controller, drawing seems to be progressing the slowest.
    Here's what my latest attempt looked like. It's a riff on the Mii'Ari Light melee armor, with a technique set appropriate for indoor combat. Don't laugh too much, it was made a while ago.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I keep getting the human figure proportions wrong. Spent too much time around Mii'Ari during the Greatest of the Wars campaign. Also, the red star has nothing to do with my current avatar's being located in Russia. It's just the way these Psi conduit crystals grow. I figured having a Chest Blaster was too cliche, so I put it in the belt buckle. Makes aiming a little weird, but with how much power I can channel through it, you only need to point in the general direction of the enemy anyway.

edit: Even though Thanqol's Minimalism Week has ended, I sorta wish I hadn't posted this image right now...

I'm trying to provoke an art war, see. I figure if I can get Mr. Mirrisen to retaliate in kind, then it's the best of all possible worlds.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ogre in the Playground

Disco! Disco!

I'm surprised you didn't do something with the fact he's basically got a crotch laser...

"Harmony" is nice, I like the shading on the mountain and the tree And since I've got to say something the left side of the shadow shouldn't bend out like that
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm trying to provoke an art war, see. I figure if I can get Mr. Mirrisen to retaliate in kind, then it's the best of all possible worlds.
    Oooohhh, that ... would actually be pretty interesting.
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

15. - Top - End - #915
    Barbarian in the Playground

Day 254a: May Or May Not Be Crazy

This is all I got.

Oh god skyrocket is just as crazy as i imagined her...
    ADVENTURE!!!!!

My current story ponies-Ponylagann in the Ponythread.
    Spoiler
    Show

NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce

16. - Top - End - #916

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    Disco! Disco!

I'm surprised you didn't do something with the fact he's basically got a crotch laser...
    There was a first draft, believe me, but it's hard to do a crotch thrust with this leg/torso style. I could revisit it at a time that's not 12.30 am but I'd need a reason

"Harmony" is nice, I like the shading on the mountain and the tree And since I've got to say something the left side of the shadow shouldn't bend out like that
    Right. Derp. Thanks.

17. - Top - End - #917

Day 255a: Needlessly Noir

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Mr. Thanqol, I would like to request a chibi avatar. Specifically I would like a flamingo wearing a fedora. Alternatively, pretty much anything with a fedora would be fine. Um, yeah.
    Pretty bird came into my office. She was pink, like the valentines day card I never got.

Real flamingos are kinda dumb looking.

More coming soonish. Composition is the longest and hardest part of these.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Banned

the reference number for Thanqol's post makes me clench with dread. There is something sinister about the numbers 12 and 600 together; they make this menacing gold, almost bronze, that just looks at you.

There was a first draft, believe me, but it's hard to do a crotch thrust with this leg/torso style. I could revisit it at a time that's not 12.30 am but I'd need a reason
    Right. Derp. Thanks.
    CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Spoiler
    Show

It's all in the imago.

19. - Top - End - #919

the reference number for Thanqol's post makes me clench with dread. There is something sinister about the numbers 12 and 600 together; they make this menacing gold, almost bronze, that just looks at you.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Spoiler
    Show

It's all in the imago.
    Well played. Well played indeed.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Bugbear in the Playground

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Spoiler
    Show

It's all in the imago.
    Hah! Hehm...

You know, for all the humor that is to be derived from this... it is a pretty accurate interpretation. Nothing tells a transmultiversal interloper "f**ck you" quite like a single guy pelvic-thrusting his oblivion armada into quantum dust.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

21. - Top - End - #921
    Orc in the Playground

Day 255a: Needlessly Noir
    -SNIP-
    Thank you vast amounts, Mr. Thanqol. I'll see you around Ponythread.
    Every time someone presses the quote button on one of my posts I steal a very small part of their soul.

I have a Tumblr now. So that's cool.

22. - Top - End - #922

Totally ignoring all the stuff In between I still need to comment on;

On the clock. Avvy? Human Starry male, and/or human Starry female.

Buy busy busy.

*flees distractedly*
    Day 256: Hard Countered

Sorry about the delay with this one. I was (and still am) drawing a complete brainblank on composition. If you've got any suggestions or ideas I'd cheerfully make the happen.

How does one pull off the colour green? It's such an impossible colour!

Time: 30 mins
    Music: Back In Black

23. - Top - End - #923
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelhero View Post
    Oh god skyrocket is just as crazy as i imagined her...
    Agreed,
    also, cute.
    Can I hug her?

@Thanqol: Composition? Male Starry and female starry makeouts :3
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

24. - Top - End - #924

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Agreed,
    also, cute.
    Can I hug her?

I'd be lying if I said that wasn't the first thing I tried to do.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Titan in the Playground

Man after my own heart.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Barbarian in the Playground

Agreed,
    also, cute.
    Can I hug her?

You could. I just dont know how well shed take it. Shes not used to affection.

Hug Sky? or genderbent makeouts? o.o
    ADVENTURE!!!!!

My current story ponies-Ponylagann in the Ponythread.
    Spoiler
    Show

NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce

27. - Top - End - #927
    Banned

Day 256: Hard Countered

Sorry about the delay with this one. I was (and still am) drawing a complete brainblank on composition. If you've got any suggestions or ideas I'd cheerfully make the happen.
    We'll confer and see if anything comes up ^^

How does one pull off the colour green? It's such an impossible colour!
    True to form, it's a dynamic color for a dynamic person. Green takes on different meaning when accentuated by different complements. His standard green is backed by a wine red, say, and looks like an exoctic jungle plant (and smells like one when the adventuring gets too rough for even a quick cantrip...). Accompanied by broad white trim, it lends a sense of religious decorum, as it evokes an earthiness brightened by the healing connotations of whiteness. With black, green becomes a sign of aggressive but stolid conquest; the soon-to-be villain, but who is in the questing stage. Reversed, black on green, evokes concepts such as alien processes, and the trope The Dragon, one who may be the most viable but who acts rather than leads. It requires the right black to make the tone sinister, however.
    Time: 30 mins
    Music: Back In Black
    Oddly fitting!

Agreed,
    also, cute.
    Can I hug her?
    She is a strange one, she is. I you do hug her, Nd she doesn't shoot you, I think she would benefit from some head rubbies ^^

As a thing, this is one of those bits that make me wonder why he thought this through. And also why I continue to read his notes, knowing I'll find bits like this.

In a situation where both bodies possessed one consciousness, it's viable. In a situation like with me, where I'm. Separate iteration, it's eyebrow raising, and not something he would engage in, but is otherwise ambivalent about.

wow, you meant it when you said careful how specific you are! heehee.

Oh! Pic saved by the way ^^

28. - Top - End - #928

Quote Originally Posted by Neoseanster View Post
    Oh sweet Celestia. Chibis are adorably... whatever-that-is! Are requests still open, or are you done with them?

Spoiler
    Show
    I would looooove a chibi-Inkblot *points up and left* or Rosetta *points down*, but no sweat at all if you're already done. In exchange I offer you TECTONIC ROBOT'S GREATEST AND DARKEST SECRET.

She's an Indiana Jones-y archaeologist-pony who hides her woes behind a bubbly and smiling facade. He's a kindly psychologist with thinly masked self confidence issues. Together they fight crime!

Really, just tell me to go away if you're already done or overloaded, I won't take it personally! I just figured it was worth asking. I'm used to being too late jumping on the bandwagon!

SiuiS made me do it! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Day 256a: Clean Slate

Ai'ight, with this I'm done with these requests (sorry Tec, but your second request is getting shelved for now). I want to get one or two last things out of the way before I start Dragon Month. Complete mindblankery on drawing recently, I've been thinking in terms of writing, music and people. Hopefully I should pick up the quality again soon.

Pony skulls are weird.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ogre in the Playground

It's nice to see how you improve and change since the first post. You have become very inspiring and are a kind person! I want to continue to cheer for you.
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

30. - Top - End - #930

Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    It's nice to see how you improve and change since the first post. You have become very inspiring and are a kind person! I want to continue to cheer for you.
    Thank you. The very best thing about this project is... well, click through to the Arts&Crafts forum and look for yourself at all the copycat threads. My biggest achievement was proving that this is possible