New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw!

You seem to have done for the Arts&Crafts forum here what I have done for the Forum Games forum back on Bay12. Pulling a whole movement through is no small feat, although it's probably a lot more significant in the case of art improvement than a quirky sort of forum RPG.

Anyways, I have suddenly found myself in need of a good reference for one of your OCs. Preferably one you wouldn't mind using as an avatar at some point in the observable future.

(Yes, I actually care about someone else's OCs enough to ask about them before drawing them in potentially inappropriate and/or embarrassing circumstances)
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2012-01-29 at 07:59 AM.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

2. - Top - End - #932
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    You seem to have done for the Arts&Crafts forum here what I have done for the Forum Games forum back on Bay12. Pulling a whole movement through is no small feat, although it's probably a lot more significant in the case of art improvement than a quirky sort of forum RPG.
    Best part was when I first posted something on this board back in 2009 it was absolutely dead outside of the avatar threads. How things change!

Anyways, I have suddenly found myself in need of a good reference for one of your OCs. Preferably one you wouldn't mind using as an avatar at some point in the observable future.
    (If I get to pick which one, it'd be Jayden; I haven't used her as an avatar at any point)

Mask:
    Humaniform
    Pony
    Pony Masked

Charger:
    Humaniform
    Pony with Mask
    Also, current avatar.

Jayden:
    Humaniform
    Griffon

(Yes, I actually care about someone else's OCs enough to ask about them before drawing them in potentially inappropriate and/or embarrassing circumstances)
    This sounds like the best picture ever already. (I give blanket approval to anyone who wants to draw any of my OCs in any context)
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-01-29 at 08:22 AM.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Orc in the Playground

I give Thanqol the hugs. All of the hugs.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Best part was when I first posted something on this board back in 2009 it was absolutely dead outside of the avatar threads. How things change!

(If I get to pick which one, it'd be Jayden; I haven't used her as an avatar at any point)

Mask:
    Humaniform
    Pony
    Pony Masked

Charger:
    Humaniform
    Pony with Mask
    Also, current avatar.

Jayden:
    Humaniform
    Griffon

This sounds like the best picture ever already. (I give blanket approval to anyone who wants to draw any of my OCs in any context)
    Hmm, now that I have my own take on Second Hand and some drawing experience, I should totally figure out from BlasTech what Iggy looks like and draw a Clockwork RP reunion pic!

...right after I draw everything else I should be working on...
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

5. - Top - End - #935
    Ogre in the Playground

Ai'ight, with this I'm done with these requests (sorry Tec, but your second request is getting shelved for now). I want to get one or two last things out of the way before I start Dragon Month. Complete mindblankery on drawing recently, I've been thinking in terms of writing, music and people. Hopefully I should pick up the quality again soon.
    :<

I suppose I will have to make dragon requests, then.

Mask:
    Humaniform
    Pony
    Pony Masked

Charger:
    Humaniform
    Pony with Mask
    Also, current avatar.

Jayden:
    Humaniform
    Griffon

I love how humanized mask looks! I love the clothes and the pose and the proportions and everything! (You may of noticed I love tall, thin, cloaked characters and that coat is rocking.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neoseanster View Post
    I give Thanqol the hugs. All of the hugs.
    Rosetta is pretty cool.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelhero View Post
    You could. I just dont know how well shed take it. Shes not used to affection.
    (Hugs Sky)

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    She is a strange one, she is. I you do hug her, Nd she doesn't shoot you, I think she would benefit from some head rubbies ^^
    Noted. xD

TIME TO DRAW SMUT
    no not really
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

7. - Top - End - #937

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    TIME TO DRAW SMUT
    no not really
    I dare say, this would be an interesting experiment. I've recently got some experience with doing animations in Photoshop too...

But, alas, I've already completed the picture for Thanqol, so it'll have to wait for another time.
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2012-01-29 at 04:24 PM.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------

8. - Top - End - #938

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    I love how humanized mask looks! I love the clothes and the pose and the proportions and everything! (You may of noticed I love tall, thin, cloaked characters and that coat is rocking.)
    Oh, absolutely. The artist nailed that one. She also did this, which was just as ace.

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Hmm, now that I have my own take on Second Hand and some drawing experience, I should totally figure out from BlasTech what Iggy looks like and draw a Clockwork RP reunion pic!

...right after I draw everything else I should be working on...
    Do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    TIME TO DRAW SMUT
    no not really
    I have to say, it is somewhere on this list, but I feel like I should start with fighting, progress to wrestling, and only then progress to smut.

Day 257: Rote

Just another day practising head shapes.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 hour
    Music: Pegadrome (Which is unbelievably good)
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-01-30 at 01:39 AM.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, absolutely. The artist nailed that one. She also did this, which was just as ace.
    That is indeed an excellent piece!

Do it!
    Oh, very well! I just gotta finalize Sek's colors, and figure out what Iggy looks like...

I'm also trying to come up with a proper mental image of Jon, but so far I'm striking out with specific features...

I have to say, it is somewhere on this list, but I feel like I should start with fighting, progress to wrestling, and only then progress to smut.
    Smut is just wrasslin' friendly-like!

Day 257: Rote

Just another day practising head shapes.

Spoiler
    Show

Music: Pegadrome (Which is unbelievably good)
    I really like the kissy-face one - that's double-tough. One exercise I've seen various places is to try drawing the skull/face as a set of rounded-ish planes and surfaces; have you ever tried that? It's supposed to help a lot when it comes time to shade...
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2012-01-30 at 02:39 AM.

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #940

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Oh, very well! I just gotta finalize Sek's colors, and figure out what Iggy looks like...

I'm also trying to come up with a proper mental image of Jon, but so far I'm striking out with specific features...
    I'm thinking swept-back antlers that blend with wavy hair, really tall and well muscled, often shirtless and barefoot, and circular tattoos around his forearms. Definite surfer dude vibe.

Smut is just wrasslin' friendly-like!
    There'll be a period in a few months where I draw an ever more intense series of fights, and then abruptly switch back to chibi production for an unexplained reason.

I really like the kissy-face one - that's double-tough. One exercise I've seen various places is to try drawing the skull/face as a set of rounded-ish planes and surfaces; have you ever tried that? It's supposed to help a lot when it comes time to shade...
    I need to do more kissing. It was a bit tricky but less so then I'd expected.

And I have! I did that exercise a few times way on back. It's very helpful for doing realistic faces, and it's modern application in my drawing is redline boxes on the sketch layer to show where the shading needs to go. It tends to be cost effective with very realistic looking pieces, though, and less so for stylised ones.

Disclaimer: Thanqol does not actually know if this is the correct way to do it.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-01-30 at 02:53 AM.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Barbarian in the Playground

And can I get a Harry-Dresden-On-Sue-atar?

T'would be appreciated.
    ~ Thanks to Crimmy for Richardtar ~

12. - Top - End - #942
    Troll in the Playground

I'm thinking swept-back antlers that blend with wavy hair, really tall and well muscled, often shirtless and barefoot, and circular tattoos around his forearms. Definite surfer dude vibe.
    Hmm, I hadn't thought about tattoos, but those would fit in well... *more wheels turn*

Gonna have to work on drawing these gangly human-things though.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #943

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    And can I get a Harry-Dresden-On-Sue-atar?

T'would be appreciated.
    Not for a month, I'm sorry; my schedule's booked out I'll see if I can fit that in but it'll be on the whims of fate.

Also, I have no idea what that is.

Day 258: Dystopia

Finally got around to doing one of those long awaited challenges; an urban cityscape. It worked out pretty good for a quick pencil sketch, information gleaned from the Art Upgrade Project definitely helped with this. Still a little weird in places but my source image was kind of indistinct.

I reckon I could do something like this up digitally and play with a Human Revolution inspired colour scheme; that'd be a fun challenge!

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 35 mins
    Music: Imagine
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-01-31 at 07:54 AM.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

Thanqol is best pony.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

15. - Top - End - #945

Day 259: Dragon Month #1

"There is no natural science quite so poorly documented as that of Dragonology.

"This is not a failure of enthusiasm. This science certainly attracts more than it's share of bright-eyed investigators and dedicated treasure hunters, hard men with hard grudges and foolish youths with bright eyes. The bookshelves are thus crammed with poorly written articles by farmhands who once saw a dragon fly overhead and fiction writers who (often rightly) believe that their fabrications will be indistinguishable from fact. Actual scholars capable of understanding the scientific method and discerning fact from fiction are few and far between, particularly due to the exceptionally high mortality rate that accompanies this profession.

"The risks are impossible to avoid entirely. A dragon is, arguably, the ultimate being. Imbued with speed, strength, flight, natural armour and fire breath, gifted with intelligence and powerful natural magic, heirs to vast wealth and eternal life spans. No biological race is as powerful or as storied as that of dragons. Those who would claim that divine entities of various stripes are the superiors of dragons forget that the dragons have gods of their own - and if 'mere' dragons are a poorly documented subjects, the question of if human gods fear draconic gods is one that has perhaps never been asked.

"As the very cover of this book will attest, dragons are dangerous; perhaps more dangerous than anything. I will say honestly that the only reason that I live to tell you this today is a matter of pure luck. Any professional in matters draconic who tells you anything otherwise is lying, and every word he says from then on is suspect.

"The information I have gleaned in my time is incomplete, but perhaps I will be able to separate a little fact from fiction and perhaps help those who would follow in my footsteps to avoid some of the pitfalls I have made."

External Link for 1GB filesize

Music: Unity
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-01-31 at 10:50 PM.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Troll in the Playground

Looking forward to February already!

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #947
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragons, eh? May I inquire as to why dragons? Everyone does dragons. Dragons are mainstream!

Not that, uh, I'm saying don't do dragons. Just, uh, wondering why.

18. - Top - End - #948

Skyrim. Year of the Dragon. Probably more, but those two are likely to be enough.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

19. - Top - End - #949
    Banned

Tek: mainstream is not a judgement. It's a fact. Dragons being mainstream doesn't make them any less awesome.

-

Hey, Thanqol. Remember when I suggested the trail guide to the body as an anatomical reference?

We got them in in class, and they are sweet.
    Spoiler
    Show

I really want this book >>;

20. - Top - End - #950

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Tek: mainstream is not a judgement. It's a fact. Dragons being mainstream doesn't make them any less awesome.

-

Hey, Thanqol. Remember when I suggested the trail guide to the body as an anatomical reference?

We got them in in class, and they are sweet.
    Spoiler
    Show

I really want this book >>;
    I'm not sure whether it's free or not (normally, I mean), but there's a PDF version on integmedblogspot.wordpress.com , not a torrent or anything... If you want, and if it's not against the rules, I could link it.
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2012-02-01 at 02:55 PM.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

21. - Top - End - #951

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Dragons, eh? May I inquire as to why dragons? Everyone does dragons. Dragons are mainstream!

Not that, uh, I'm saying don't do dragons. Just, uh, wondering why.
    Do I look like the kind of person who cares about the mainstream? Look at my avatar if you're having trouble answering that question.

The reason is because dragons are important to me. I've been identifying with, comparing myself to, and attempting to emulate ideals which I consider draconic since I was eleven years old. There is no subject matter I find quite as interesting. It's not just part of who I am; it's arguably the thought and path that's made me who I am.

Also, dragons are cool.

22. - Top - End - #952

Do I look like the kind of person who cares about the mainstream? Look at my avatar if you're having trouble answering that question.

The reason is because dragons are important to me. I've been identifying with, comparing myself to, and attempting to emulate ideals which I consider draconic since I was eleven years old. There is no subject matter I find quite as interesting. It's not just part of who I am; it's arguably the thought and path that's made me who I am.

Also, dragons are cool.
    There was also that silver dragon...

Also, exactly what are your plans for Dragon Month? Just drawing dragons doing dubious draconic deeds?

(also, I don't suppose you could visit me drawthread? I'm sorta low on good ideas of stuff to sketch...)
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2012-02-01 at 05:57 PM.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

23. - Top - End - #953

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    There was also that silver dragon...

Also, exactly what are your plans for Dragon Month? Just drawing dragons doing dubious draconic deeds?

(also, I don't suppose you could visit me drawthread? I'm sorta low on good ideas of stuff to sketch...)
    Follow the narrator's epic learning adventure! Like the magic schoolbus except people get eaten!

And I've already got a post half complete there

24. - Top - End - #954
    Troll in the Playground

Follow the narrator's epic learning adventure! Like the magic schoolbus except people get eaten!
    I'm pretty sure there was an episode where they went inside the body...that very nearly counts as being eaten!

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #955

Day 260: Dragon Month #2

"As with any good story, I shall start at the beginning and relate my first actual encounter with the science of Dragonology. It was my first day at the University, and I was both young and awkward. The wizard's hat that my mother had sewn for me was far too large ("You'll grow into it", she said. I suspect that the only way I shall 'grow into it', even today is to be the mistarget of an Enhance Appendage spell). My robes swept the floor, doing the janitor a kindness, and I stumbled over them every half-dozen steps. I clutched my notebook tightly to my chest as if it, alone, was going to get me through this unfamiliar world of wizardry and magic. In a way, it did.

"The University has a bit of pride to it, though, and in the entrance hall all new visitors are treated to the most impressive piece it possesses - the skeleton of a full-sized
    Draconis Occidentalis Magnus. You will note from the scale that it is fully capable of crunching a grown human in a single bite, and I was significantly less than that. There was substantial damage to the dragon's left-hand side, and I found myself mesmerised by the question of what being could possibly have dealt that kind of damage to a creature like this. The answer turned out to be, predictably, another dragon.

"The Draconis Occidentalis is what is referred to as the 'Western' dragon by laymen, and is by far the most recognisable. Fire breath, wings, four claws. The Magnus is a sub-breed, notable for it's distinctive horns, white scales, ice breath, small size and small intelligence. The common term is "White Dragon", or "Aussir Darastrix" in their own tongue.

"It was only after that I'd discovered that this terrible creature was one of the smallest and weakest of major dragon breeds was my fate decided. I, tiny first year mage who could barely croak out a 'dim heat' spell, was going to be a scholar of dragons. Because if the corpse of the weakest dragon was enough to steal the breath from my lungs, I wanted to know what a big one would look like."

This was all done with a single size 20 brush; I was following a suggestion from Dispo to work on precise control. It was great; you should totally listen to that guy.

Spoiler
    Show

"I later discovered that the skeleton was animated with necromancy, designed to trigger should anyone attempt to pinch anything from the University."

Music: Numb
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-02 at 01:29 AM.

26. - Top - End - #956

This was all done with a single size 20 brush; I was following a suggestion from Dispo to work on precise control. It was great; you should totally listen to that guy.
    Hm, I currently prefer to work with a size 5... Size 20 is a mite overkill for how sensitive I usually set my stylus to. Maybe I could tweak it a little and try it that way too. I just find myself not needing more than a size 5 for inking.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

27. - Top - End - #957
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ooh, dragon month! I'm kind of a huge fan of dragons, so I like the sound of this. Is the plan to draw dragons all month, or just until you finish this story/get tired of drawing dragons?

I think that I talked a lot in one of my earlier posts in this thread about the stuff I had learned about drawing dragons, so I won't spend a ton of time here repeating things that you've already read.

The anatomy on the skeletal dragon from day 260 looks good, and I like the shading that you did on the skull. The one issue I have with it is that the tail looks a little rigid, and I think the picture would flow better if it were curved a bit, but that's a fairly minor nitpick.

I recently took a look through all the threads in the Arts and Crafts forum, and it looks like even more learns-to-draw threads have popped up . Congrats on starting such a trend! Speaking of which, I should really take my own advice at some point and maybe start one of those threads of my own . . .

And lastly, because I always link to tons of tutorials in this thread, I found this a few weeks ago. It's a ton of video tutorials from ImagineFX, and I've only had a chance to look at a few of them so far, but I found them all very helpful. It doesn't look like it's really your style, but it still might be useful to you.

My deviantART account: link.

28. - Top - End - #958

Quote Originally Posted by Silviya View Post
    Ooh, dragon month! I'm kind of a huge fan of dragons, so I like the sound of this. Is the plan to draw dragons all month, or just until you finish this story/get tired of drawing dragons?
    All month! February is Dragon Month! And I can easily think of thirty different dragons I want to draw.

The anatomy on the skeletal dragon from day 260 looks good, and I like the shading that you did on the skull. The one issue I have with it is that the tail looks a little rigid, and I think the picture would flow better if it were curved a bit, but that's a fairly minor nitpick.
    Ah, you're right, just a little bit more at the bottom. I was modelling partially off a T-Rex skeleton, though, and their tails are a lot less sinuous than dragons, so that's where that mistake came from.

I recently took a look through all the threads in the Arts and Crafts forum, and it looks like even more learns-to-draw threads have popped up . Congrats on starting such a trend! Speaking of which, I should really take my own advice at some point and maybe start one of those threads of my own . . .
    Thank you And while there have been delays in some of them, not one of those threads has out-and-out died yet. That's impressive.

You should totally throw your hat into the ring!

And lastly, because I always link to tons of tutorials in this thread, I found this a few weeks ago. It's a ton of video tutorials from ImagineFX, and I've only had a chance to look at a few of them so far, but I found them all very helpful. It doesn't look like it's really your style, but it still might be useful to you.
    Baller, I'll give these a look over tomorrow!

29. - Top - End - #959

Day 261: Dragon Month #3: Black

Today's afternoon was spent interacting with the Primary Demographic. It was a marvel I was able to do everything I did despite that. As a result I pretty much did a straight copy of another piece which I normally shy away from, but it worked out.

"The Black dragon is one of the most notorious of all Coloured Occidentalis dragonflights, renowned for it's swampy habitats, acidic breath and heavy associations with death and decay. My first encounter with the beast was during one of the early classes on Dragonology where the professor brought in a number of peasants who had been the victims of a Black raid. The professor had them under layers of hypnotism and emotion-calming magic so they could relate their experiences to the class without screaming or panicking.

"After the fourth lecture on Dragonology, all but ten students dropped out. I have long since been the sole survivor of those ten."

Original:

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

And for the hay of it, the collaberative colouring project done with a 5 year old girl: (Lineart not mine)

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 very interrupted hour
    Music: The Equestria Daily Livestream
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-03 at 01:38 AM.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Troll in the Playground

And for the hay of it, the collaberative colouring project done with a 5 year old girl: (Lineart not mine)

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 very interrupted hour
    Music: The Equestria Daily Livestream
    This is adorable and you should feel adorable!

Also, the dragon is cool!

Spoiler
    Show