New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw!

Day 262: Dragon Month #4

[Insert excuse here. Reality is I just wasn't in the mood this morning]

"After all this build up and my repeated warnings about the dangers, powers and scale of the Dragon, I'm afraid my first encounter with one must be the most dramatic letdown possible. I encountered what is commonly termed a "Psuedodragon", terunt darastrix, serving as a familiar for one of the faculty's elder wizards.

"It called itself the Epistler. My best description of the creature would be to call it an 'intelligent, evil cat'. It was greedy, it was cruel, it was ridiculously vain, and it had nothing but contempt for every other being on the planet. It knew some basic magic which set it apart from others of it's kind, magic it would not hesitate to use on anyone who displeased it.

"Moreover, I feel the burning desire to correct an oversight laid out in my book of monsters, which merely said 'the poison of a psudeodragon is not lethal to humans'. Technically accurate in the same sense that branding irons being applied to one's genital areas is not lethal to humans. The bite of a psuedodragon is as spiteful as the creature itself, and it was inflicted on me for the sin of attempting to pet it.

"My finger swelled up to twice it's size within the hour and began inflicting an agonising pain. I could not use my right hand at all, and could scarcely do more than thrash and curse. I was collected by the nurses and put to bed where I discovered that the psudodragon's spite goes even further: One is simply unable to sleep for the poison's duration, something no amount of magic or anaesthetic can counter. If a psudeodragon bites you, you will spend three full days, seventy two consecutive hours, awake and thrashing with pain, unable to find rest, death, or a god who will answer your prayers.

"Such an incident leaves one feeling embittered towards the species, to say the least, but it also commands respect. I never attempted to get vengeance on the creature even though I loathed every scale on it's wretched hide, simply because I was afraid of it biting me again. When a psudodragon decides to take a nap on your spellbook, or on your coin purse, or in your bed, then the appropriate response is to buy a new one. One can attempt to risk killing the thing, but observation has taught me that the little monster is as fast as lightning and has an incredible danger awareness, so I would not recommend it."

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 40 mins
    Music: SO MANY F*ING WONDERS

2. - Top - End - #962

Day 262a: Corporate Overlord

[whining] Silhouettes are so fun why can't I just do silhouettes forever instead of all this other garbage [/whining]

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-04 at 12:30 AM.

3. - Top - End - #963

Day 263: Dragon Month #5: Red

"Professor Nautilus was my tutor for the early days of my career and, like all successful dragonologists, was a big believer in field work. His speciality was red dragons of the Chromatic Occidentalis flights, and he had a most impressive array of burns across his body. My first field trip with him was an eventful one; he took me to where a very young red had made it's lair and had me observe and sketch as he demonstrated the appropriate techniques for defeating the creature.

"Nautilus was one of the most foolhardy men I had ever met, but he was also extraordinarily skilled and remarkably dapper. His lesson was an important one: There is no way to survive and progress in the field of dragonology if you do not rise to meet the risks. You cannot avoid them; all that counts is how good we look while defeating them.

"I admit, though, I was surprised when he let the creature go rather than killing it; reds were notorious for their cruelty and violence. He told me that he considered it a crime to crop a ten-thousand year lifespan short at sixty. He was an eccentric until the end, but an eccentric I developed a deep respect for."

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1.5 hours
    Music: Vater Unser
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-05 at 05:06 AM.

4. - Top - End - #964

Day 264: Dragon Month #6

"Not all Dragons are evil, however, and not all dragons are flesh and blood. The Radiant Dragonflight dwells in places of supernatural health and health regeneration, such as the positive energy planes. They are dragons made of light; angelic beings of healing and life.

"Unfortunately, there's a limit on how much life a human being can hold. Being in the presence of a Radiant Dragon fills your soul faster than it can handle. If you remain in it's presence too long you will simply explode like a new-born star. The proper counter to this is to take a dagger or other sharp implement and slit your own throat. The regenerative power of the dragon will cure the wound in seconds, and the expenditure of the ambient energy will prevent premature soul-detonation.

"While some Dragonologists might not have the courage to repeatedly commit suicide, I would like to caution strongly against half measures. Cowardice will not get you anywhere in this field, even with the gentlest of all dragons."

[Okay, this one didn't work out, primarily because I accidentally Skyrimmed my scheduled drawing time and had to slam this out in half an hour. I had some fun with paints and learned some interesting colouring facts but it was rushed and it shows.]

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 30 mins
    Music: Anacora

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    [Okay, this one didn't work out, primarily because I accidentally Skyrimmed my scheduled drawing time and had to slam this out in half an hour.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that's been happening too But still, I quite like it and for half an hour it's damn fine work.

In regards to the Red Dragon page, Prof 'Natilus' (as he is spelled in the pic [I had an A2 sized picture with the word 'dragon' mis-spelled in two inch high letters and nobody noticed for about a year...]) has a good line on his arms and shoulders. His head shoudl be tilted down a little more as if ducking, or his back arched out as if straining IMO. Legs a fraction too high, but not the end of the world.

The profile of the Red from is really good too

Just saw 262a and I love it - the hot pink works great and makes the whole thing pop
    Last edited by Zorg; 2012-02-06 at 08:17 AM.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

6. - Top - End - #966

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that's been happening too But still, I quite like it and for half an hour it's damn fine work.
    Thanks! There's a few decent components there that I can salvage for future use

In regards to the Red Dragon page, Prof 'Natilus' (as he is spelled in the pic [I had an A2 sized picture with the word 'dragon' mis-spelled in two inch high letters and nobody noticed for about a year...]) has a good line on his arms and shoulders. His head shoudl be tilted down a little more as if ducking, or his back arched out as if straining IMO. Legs a fraction too high, but not the end of the world.
    Dark secret: Has awful handwriting.

I know that the secret to good handwriting is to do every letter like a drawing of that letter, which was how I got Day 259 so slick, but I decided that 'scrawly' was a positive in this case. Unfortunately I revealed in the process just how bad my scrawly and spelling is.

The profile of the Red from is really good too
    It's so encouraging being able to just draw something like that first try

Just saw 262a and I love it - the hot pink works great and makes the whole thing pop
    Suits and silhouettes are my core competencies ^^

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ogre in the Playground

Dark secret: Has awful handwriting.

I know that the secret to good handwriting is to do every letter like a drawing of that letter, which was how I got Day 259 so slick, but I decided that 'scrawly' was a positive in this case. Unfortunately I revealed in the process just how bad my scrawly and spelling is.
    Trust me, mine is worse:

Spoiler
    Show

And I can't spell either.

-

Back on topic, how are you finding the writing is working with the drawing?
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.

8. - Top - End - #968

Trust me, mine is worse:

Spoiler
    Show

And I can't spell either.
    My writing is more readable but more ugly, I think.

Back on topic, how are you finding the writing is working with the drawing?
    Honestly, I just throw together the writing after I've done the picture, usually with less time and thought than I'd like, but I've been knife-edging a few updates recently. I'm very comfortable with my writing in general though, so it's just a fun little monologue/story to go with the pictures. I'm really good at rapid creativity so it doesn't take more than 5 minutes to write one of those snippets.

When I really start structuring comics (which is way down the list) I'll be taking a very different tack.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-06 at 09:44 AM.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ogre in the Playground

I was just wondering if the words came first, or followed on from the picture - ie if you had a plan for the tale of Dragon Month, or if it was possibly going to get very weird.
    I know most of my drawings are related to characters in my stories or RPGs, so are often of pre-written scenes.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.

10. - Top - End - #970

I was just wondering if the words came first, or followed on from the picture - ie if you had a plan for the tale of Dragon Month, or if it was possibly going to get very weird.
    I know most of my drawings are related to characters in my stories or RPGs, so are often of pre-written scenes.
    I've got a vague structure in my head but there's not a super coherent narrative arc. Every day, new dragon, and varying levels of factoids and anecdotes about said dragon. I trust myself to hold it together.

I've got a pretty low rate of drawing my own characters right now, partially because I'm still internalising and practising visual character design. I actually feel compelled to commission characters from established artists to get a base visual design, and then study/elaborate on that.

11. - Top - End - #971

Day 265: Dragon Month #7: Charizard

"First things first. Are you a boy or a girl?"

"Wait, what? Who are you?"

"No, I really want to know. You've made it really ambiguous."

"How are you doing this to my memoirs."

"Boy. Or. Girl."

"Look, shut up, I can't tell you. No one would take me seriously."

"Now I'm even more fascinated."

"Just give me the fire type starter so I can get out of here you old tosspot."

"But the first two gyms are incredibly effective against the fire type! Charmander is the fool's choice!"

"No compromises where best pokemon is involved."

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 hour
    Music: Celebration

12. - Top - End - #972
    Barbarian in the Playground

Charizard is best pokemon?
    ~ Thanks to Crimmy for Richardtar ~

13. - Top - End - #973

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    Charizard is best pokemon?
    Dissenters will be eaten by Charizard.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Titan in the Playground

Dissenters will be eaten by Charizard.
    Thanqol, truthspeaker. :3
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

15. - Top - End - #975

Day 266: Dragon Month #8

"On occasion, however, a dragon will consent to become a companion for a human. This often occurs when a human locates a dragon egg and raises the child as it's own. If you're lucky enough to do this, and with the slow aging of the dragon, you are guaranteed a friend for the next twenty five to fifty years.

"The lifespan for the average revolutionary is three months."

[Note: I've got no idea where this came from. I just started messing around and this is what happened. Take a look at the fullview; those gauntlets in particular worked out really cool]

DevArt for full]

Spoiler
    Show

Alternate courtesy Darthbobcat

Time: 2 hours
    Music: Super Affection

16. - Top - End - #976
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yay, lots of dragons!

Day 261: Drawing from references is always good. The first thing I noticed when I compared your drawing to the reference was that yours is a bit stouter and broader, but other than that it looks good.
    One thing that I've learned about drawing from picture references (or copying a smaller sketch onto a larger canvas), is that it helps a lot to quarter the image that your referencing, and the canvas/paper/digital canvas/whatever that you're copying it onto. It makes it so much easier to get the proportions right.
    One thing that you could try with a reference like that dragon, if you're interested, would be to try to map out the bone structure and muscles of the dragon. Here, you're mostly just copying the lines, but I think you could learn a lot if you tried to copy the muscles and how they wrap around the bones and the subtle shapes that they form.

Day 262: Aww, it's a little dragon! I like how it looks so angry, yet is so tiny. The book is a simple yet effective way of showing the scale. I also really like the feet. The only thing I don't like about that drawing is the shape of the wings: Wings have a lot of joints in them, and so it looks wierd if they're perfectly straight like the dragon's right wing. Also, more of a stylistic preference/realism obsession of mine, but generally I think that dragon wings look better when the wing membrane attaches at the mid back or hip, as opposed to the shoulder (this is why I have issues with the design of the dragons in Skyrim).

Day 263: I really like the picture of the dragon's head. It looks so . . . dragon-y. The horns, the scales, the teeth and mouth, the eye, the horny ridges over and under its eye. Great job.

Day 264: Ooh, neat. I like the gradient background, and the glowing white and gold looks really nice. I was reminded of this when I saw it (in a oh that's so cool it reminds me of this one really awesome picture way, not a that's been done before way). It's a shame that you had to rush it, since it would probably be even more cool if you had been able to spend more time on it, but yeah, Skyrim is known to do that .

Day 266: A little sci-fi companion dragon? Awesome. I really like this picture. You played around with angle some, with the ground slightly skewed, the whole dark atmosphere is nicely done, and that is some nice anatomy and pose work. That's a tricky pose, trying to make a character look relaxed and casual instead of stiff, but man, you nailed it. And I agree, those gauntlets are sweet. The only issue I have with this piece is the tower/skyscraper thing: the ground and character are tilted at an angle, but the skyscraper isn't, and it kind of messes up the whole perspective a bit, when you start looking at it closely. Other than that, awesome job.

My deviantART account: link.

17. - Top - End - #977

Quote Originally Posted by Silviya View Post
    Yay, lots of dragons!

Day 261: Drawing from references is always good. The first thing I noticed when I compared your drawing to the reference was that yours is a bit stouter and broader, but other than that it looks good.
    One thing that I've learned about drawing from picture references (or copying a smaller sketch onto a larger canvas), is that it helps a lot to quarter the image that your referencing, and the canvas/paper/digital canvas/whatever that you're copying it onto. It makes it so much easier to get the proportions right.
    One thing that you could try with a reference like that dragon, if you're interested, would be to try to map out the bone structure and muscles of the dragon. Here, you're mostly just copying the lines, but I think you could learn a lot if you tried to copy the muscles and how they wrap around the bones and the subtle shapes that they form.
    Musculature is on the list, it just got pushed down because I was greedy and wanted to start drawing full dragons right away. I've got a significant Dragons art folder and a lot of books full of dragon art so I've got plenty of reference for when I do the musculature picture.

Day 262: Aww, it's a little dragon! I like how it looks so angry, yet is so tiny. The book is a simple yet effective way of showing the scale. I also really like the feet. The only thing I don't like about that drawing is the shape of the wings: Wings have a lot of joints in them, and so it looks wierd if they're perfectly straight like the dragon's right wing. Also, more of a stylistic preference/realism obsession of mine, but generally I think that dragon wings look better when the wing membrane attaches at the mid back or hip, as opposed to the shoulder (this is why I have issues with the design of the dragons in Skyrim).
    I am prepared to concede this point, I think that the kind of skeletal wing design doesn't really look very impressive.

Day 263: I really like the picture of the dragon's head. It looks so . . . dragon-y. The horns, the scales, the teeth and mouth, the eye, the horny ridges over and under its eye. Great job.
    I'm going to be doing a bunch of the other D&D dragons in this style ^^

Day 264: Ooh, neat. I like the gradient background, and the glowing white and gold looks really nice. I was reminded of this when I saw it (in a oh that's so cool it reminds me of this one really awesome picture way, not a that's been done before way). It's a shame that you had to rush it, since it would probably be even more cool if you had been able to spend more time on it, but yeah, Skyrim is known to do that .
    I've got another picture in a similar style (pure paints as I'm calling it, as opposed to linework-paints or linework-fills) on the list, so hopefully that one will make up for it. I learned some cool stuff about lighting from this which'll be applied in the future.

Day 266: A little sci-fi companion dragon? Awesome. I really like this picture. You played around with angle some, with the ground slightly skewed, the whole dark atmosphere is nicely done, and that is some nice anatomy and pose work. That's a tricky pose, trying to make a character look relaxed and casual instead of stiff, but man, you nailed it. And I agree, those gauntlets are sweet. The only issue I have with this piece is the tower/skyscraper thing: the ground and character are tilted at an angle, but the skyscraper isn't, and it kind of messes up the whole perspective a bit, when you start looking at it closely. Other than that, awesome job.
    Thank you I think my biggest experimental innovation with this one was doing my sketch layer in different colours (at last) so I could tell all the different components apart rather than bluelining everything. Very minor change, but such a big help when it came to inking.

I was pretty worried throughout that there was going to be clashing due to the variety of colours, but I trusted my instincts and kept everything extremely muted and it paid off.

The skyscraper is actually tilted at an angle, check it with a ruler. But if the tilt isn't right then the tilt isn't right.

I'm still not sure why I find myself preferring the delicious version to the original.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-08 at 06:26 AM.

18. - Top - End - #978

Day 267: Dragon Month #9: Blue

"The Azura, or blue dragon, is a uniquely desert breed. Their vibrant blue scales that would be out of place anywhere else are remarkably difficult to spot against a clear blue sky, and they possess a powerful electrical breath attack. Monsters of the desert are commonly fire adapted and the amount of energy to maintain a cold affinity far outweighs the potential benefits.

"Blue dragons are particularly inclined towards the affairs of mortals, styling themselves overlords and kings and running many tyrant nations out of those unfortunate enough to settle near them. As a dragon can control several water sources, he can also claim all the people who depend upon those water sources. History is littered with examples of Blue Tyrant-Kings as a result.

"When forming an electrical charge, the lightning initiates at the tailtip and bounces up the prominent spines along the dragon's back as illustrated. When it reaches the central horn on the dragon's head it can be released as a mighty thunderbolt. While interrupting the charge as it builds seems like a good idea at first, doing so is like trying to catch lightning with your fingers - it builds and discharges far more rapidly then most mages are capable of manipulating.

"The best response to a Blue Dragon attack if you are unprepared is to dig under the sand. The creatures hate getting dirty and are as likely to leave you as they are to start stomping on the earth above your head."

[Time was sapped by an unexpected thing that actually caused me to fall physically out of my chair multiple times with laughter]

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 45 mins
    Music: You'll Find Old Dixieland in France

19. - Top - End - #979

Day 268: Dragon Month #10: Dragon Tails

"It's not all grim and dark in the world of Dragonology, however. Young dragons are exceedingly playful and clever, often capable of adapting to modern technology, culture and jokes. In particular, young dragons who are raised on human television tend to display exceedingly human characteristics. Be careful, though, because these creatures are practically invincible and structure their games around the assumption of invincibility.

"Dragons are often accused of being solitary creatures, which is true especially in the latter stages of their lives where they are so powerful as to be nations unto themselves. But in their early days when they are more vulnerable, dragons tend to feel incredible bonds of family loyalty and protectiveness. The eldest of the clutch also tends towards the position of defender, allowing the others to be more gentle as a result. There are worse places to live than with a family of young dragons."

[Dragon Tails is the best webcomic ever of all time. Couldn't focus right this morning, mind just keeps drifting. I adore the style, though, even though it looks really weird when you take it piece by piece.]

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 hour
    Music: Bad Harmony
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-09 at 09:05 PM.

20. - Top - End - #980

Day 269: Dragon Month #11

"Dragons show up in the unlikeliest of context. Eilogue, the Sphere of Language was the Primordial of Language, the creature who invented, among other things, the idea of an abstract framework for communication. Primordials are immense and complex beings; they are so great they possess multiple souls, and those souls are so great they possess multiple souls of their own. They are titans who build worlds and throw back the formless chaos of non-being.

"At least three of their number have taken draconic forms in the past, a curiously high proportion for creatures with no context other than that which they impose upon themselves. Unfortunately, their servants rose against the Primordials in rebellion, striking many of them down and maiming the others. Eilogue was struck from the sky, his scales torn apart and used to construct a city, and the word that was the city was the opposite of his name. He perished.

"But creatures like that do not simply die. They are so great to be beyond the cycle of death, which itself was one of their constructs. Instead, Eliogue became He Who Bleeds The Unknown World, an unliving blight at the heart of the cosmos.

"Beings such as this are a curiosity for Dragonologists, but no sane means exists for the study or research of these beings."

[Here we go, had time to do a pure paints one, and properly this time]

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 hour 15 mins
    Music: Boom, like that
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-11 at 12:25 AM.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Ettin in the Playground

Tcchhh... ok, gotta start brushing up on my own painting again. Starting to feel threatened here. D:

Nice n warm coloring that. The linework thrown over it is a nice touch as well.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, that one turned out nicely. Mind if I ask why the sketchy lines are there? I think it might look a little better if they weren't there. Or if you changed the colour scheme. Those would look great if it was blues and whites to look like lightning (which I don't think would actually require any changes to that beyond changing the colours) but they kind of take away from the overall fiery feel of the picture.

23. - Top - End - #983
    Titan in the Playground

References. I get them.

Awesomes. You make them.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

24. - Top - End - #984

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Tcchhh... ok, gotta start brushing up on my own painting again. Starting to feel threatened here. D:

Nice n warm coloring that. The linework thrown over it is a nice touch as well.
    I'M COMING FOR YOU

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    Wow, that one turned out nicely. Mind if I ask why the sketchy lines are there? I think it might look a little better if they weren't there. Or if you changed the colour scheme. Those would look great if it was blues and whites to look like lightning (which I don't think would actually require any changes to that beyond changing the colours) but they kind of take away from the overall fiery feel of the picture.
    I wanted to sharpen the edges; it's actually quite rounded without the sketchy lines. I'll think about that for next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    References. I get them.

Awesomes. You make them.
    Yo.

Day 270: Dragon Month #12

"Sometimes the threat of a dragon is more potent than an actual dragon. There are several old stories that discuss the reign of the Liar, a creature who could tell you that sand was water and have you smile as you drank it. Despite the ability to spin such terribly powerful lies, the creature was unable to make itself liked, so it lied into being a terrible dragon to mirror it's own terrible heart. When the dragon of lies was slain, it's blood soaked into the world and into every story told about dragons from that point onwards. It is impossible to find the truth behind dragons, the story tells us, because our very notes, eyes, and memories will lie to us on behalf of the dragons.

"An interesting story to remember, for the practical application (trust nothing you read) is worth memorising. Not a good story to buy into because it assumes that our field of research is a divinely cursed waste of time."

[Gosh this was tricky. And informative! It's going to take real force of will not to use that ink splotching technique for everything in every picture because it's the best thing]

Spoiler
    Show

Alternate:

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 2.5 Hours
    Music: Modern Crusaders
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-12 at 05:24 AM.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 270: Dragon Month #12

"Sometimes the threat of a dragon is more potent than an actual dragon. There are several old stories that discuss the reign of the Liar, a creature who could tell you that sand was water and have you smile as you drank it. Despite the ability to spin such terribly powerful lies, the creature was unable to make itself liked, so it lied into being a terrible dragon to mirror it's own terrible heart. When the dragon of lies was slain, it's blood soaked into the world and into every story told about dragons from that point onwards. It is impossible to find the truth behind dragons, the story tells us, because our very notes, eyes, and memories will lie to us on behalf of the dragons.

"An interesting story to remember, for the practical application (trust nothing you read) is worth memorising. Not a good story to buy into because it assumes that our field of research is a divinely cursed waste of time."

[Gosh this was tricky. And informative! It's going to take real force of will not to use that ink splotching technique for everything in every picture because it's the best thing]

Spoiler
    Show

Alternate:

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 2.5 Hours
    Music: Modern Crusaders
    I like the ink blotch effect. I vote you use it in everything now.

Also what program are you using? Someone was asking about how to get that effect in SAI, and it'll be nice to know how to do it if I ever decide to start doing things digitally.

26. - Top - End - #986

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    I like the ink blotch effect. I vote you use it in everything now.

Also what program are you using? Someone was asking about how to get that effect in SAI, and it'll be nice to know how to do it if I ever decide to start doing things digitally.
    Don't tempt me.

And yes, I'm still on SAI. It's the Spread effect on brush settings. Experimentation!

Day 271: Dragon Month #13: Copper

"The Copper Dragonflight is one of the more subtly dangerous to be around. They are obsessed with conversation, and can and will talk for ever. On occasion, when they are bored at a lack of interesting conversational partners, they will kidnap mortals, bury them up to the neck in sand so that they cannot flee, and proceed to talk until one of them passes out.

"Copper dragons are creatures of acid and earth, living in subterranean lairs. They often fight for territory with Blue dragons, who rule the skies over the same deserts. It has been suggested that the Brass dragonflight exists due to the sheer number of Blue/Brass children leading to the creation of an entirely new flight, but this is not backed by evidence and relies on the scientifically unsound theory of kissnemises."

[Super rushed, it was a choice between this and dinner]

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 30 mins
    Music: Never Back Down

27. - Top - End - #987
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like the blue dragon head from day 267 a lot. Just like the red dragon head, it's nicely detailed and feels very dragon-y. I also like the shading that you did on the nose horn. And all those blue dragon drawings in 45 minutes? Nice. Being able to work quickly like that is good!

Day 269 . . . awesome. Just awesome. I definitely think that you should do more of these "pure paints" drawings. I've liked all of the ones that I've seen. The ruins all over the dragon are a really cool detail, and I like how the claws are sort of emerging from the flame--you can't see and arm that connects to the body. It makes the dragon look more spirit like and less physical, which is a really cool effect.

Day 270 is also really cool. It looks like you experimented a lot with different techniques, which is great. I think that the ink splotches turned out really well.

My deviantART account: link.

28. - Top - End - #988

Quote Originally Posted by Silviya View Post
    I like the blue dragon head from day 267 a lot. Just like the red dragon head, it's nicely detailed and feels very dragon-y. I also like the shading that you did on the nose horn. And all those blue dragon drawings in 45 minutes? Nice. Being able to work quickly like that is good!
    Those sketchy pictures are surprisingly fantastic practise and have justified the entirety of Dragon Month on their own. They train an amazing amount of precision, detail and speed.

Day 269 . . . awesome. Just awesome. I definitely think that you should do more of these "pure paints" drawings. I've liked all of the ones that I've seen. The ruins all over the dragon are a really cool detail, and I like how the claws are sort of emerging from the flame--you can't see and arm that connects to the body. It makes the dragon look more spirit like and less physical, which is a really cool effect.

Day 270 is also really cool. It looks like you experimented a lot with different techniques, which is great. I think that the ink splotches turned out really well.
    Thank you! I love pure paints; not only do they look good they're huge fun to do. Other types and styles feel to a degree like work, paints feel like expression. When I want to relax my mind with art, I use paints.

And interestingly, the splotches were virtually the only experiment in Day 270. Every other component was something I'd used before and had an understanding for how it worked. It was the first time I'd combined those techniques in that kind of array, but that was really a case of past knowledge and messing around paying off.

Day 272: Dragon Month #14

"The Berry Dragon, or Fairy Dragon as they're sometimes known, is one of the less harmful breeds of dragons. They are quite small, about the size of a man's hand from tail to nose, and exist predominately on a diet of wild berries, which they are exceptionally greedy about indulging in. Occasionally they pose a threat to the various Little Folk; pixies, sprites and gnomes. But small stature is perhaps the worst indicator of power amongst the Fae, and it is with great reliability that these tiny dragons are slain by the tiny people, making them really quite uncommon.

"The largest concentrations of these dragons exist as captured pets or slaves of the Fae, ridden into battle like war mounts. Berry Dragons are not particularly bright, aggressive, nor are they usually particularly happy with the terms of their imprisonment. In the heat of battle if they can see any chance to buck their masters and escape then they will not hesitate to do so.

"Occasionally, farmers may find a Berry Dragon has moved into their growing patch. While the beast can be a pest, and can also appear ill-tempered, it is relatively harmless. I would advise anyone who encounters such a creature to not drive it off, because I have been told by farmers who allow such a creature to stay enjoy good luck and fine harvests. Those who drive the creature off or, worse, kill it tend to provoke the rage of the Faeries who often claim a child as compensation."

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 20 mins
    Music: Mockingbird

29. - Top - End - #989

Day 273: Dragon Month #15

"Levethix is the first dragon I built what could be considered a friendship with. He was of the Silver Dragonflight, and a scholar and wizard amongst his kind. Insufferably smug and know-it-all, capable of lecturing for days, and a deep amusement at the attempts of lesser creatures. I believe for the early part of our association he looked on me as one would look at an animal that had learned tot talk.

"His archnemisis, a Bronze named Vorel, lived in close proximity to his lair and the battles they had were vast and terrible. Neither truly wanted to kill each other, but spared nothing in their attempts to humiliate each other. The pranks and endless one-upmanship waged between them tended to fall on the hapless inhabitants of the village in between their two lairs as much as they did on each other. There were multiple occasions where I myself found myself in situations both dire and comical which no amount of money shall persuade me to relate to you."

[I've been drawing virtually all day. Have some sketches disconnected from the main event]

Spoiler
    Show

Music: Smaller God
    Time: 20 mins

30. - Top - End - #990

Day 274: Dragon Month #16

"Dragons, contrary to popular mythos, do engage in romance, and even from a very young age. Unfortunately, from what I witnessed, they tend to do it poorly. This little fellow who goes by 'Spike' was attempting to sing a heart-wrenching ballad to his intended. Unfortunately the Fates were not so kind and he belched in the middle of the chorus, setting her hair alight and sending her screaming from the room. To add insult to injury, the event was caught on camera.

"Perhaps I would have been able to get more information out of Spike if I hadn't photographed him at his very worst moment. The life of a Dragonologist is full of hard choices."

[Holy good gravy. I started playing Crusader Kings 2 just to try it out and then it was suddenly 10pm. Paradoxxxxx!

Well, for every day of amazing productivity, there's a day like this.]

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 15 mins
    Music: '...And in Her Self-Loathing and Despair, She Found Wrath'