New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1347
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw!

Day 275: Dragon Month #17

"The 'Space Pirates' are not so much 'pirates' as a hostile galactic power who have only been given their monkier due to their attacks on the highly advanced Federation, which necessitate hit and run actions. The Pirates as a species are intelligent, diligent, curious and brutal, with a harsh chain of command and a caste system.

"Their most curious feature is their choice in leaders. The Pirates have never been seen to elect one of their own as an overseer; instead, they turn entire battlegroups over to powerful candidates of other species'. It has been suggested that this is an instinctive way to compensate for the weaknesses in their intellect, or that they used to be a hive-minded race and this behaviour is symptomatic of their repressed desire to serve an alien queen figure.

"Their most notorious general is named Ridley. He has encountered the Hunter an unfortunate number of times, each of which has ended in his untimely demise. The Pirates aren't exactly reverent of their dead, though, and cheerfully upgraded their fallen leader's corpse into a cybernetic undead monstrosity."

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1.5 hours
    Music: Rarity Theme
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-17 at 04:56 AM.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ooh, I like that a lot. You did a lot of nice shading on it, and I really like how non-standard it is. I love the wings and how you've painted the fieriness of them. And that thing looks really cool.

The one piece of advice I have on it, shading wise, is that generally, I've found that shading works best if it's either crosshatching, cell shading, or smoothly blended. While the shading you have is good, some of it (I'm mostly looking at the shading in the leg area with this) is sort of . . . chaotically line-y. Most of the rest of the shading on this looks more like what I'd consider to be smooth shading (though most of the transitions aren't that smooth, and they shouldn't be for this piece, given the strong light source). Does the program you're using have blending tools? Do your pen and tablet have pressure sensitivity? If so, smooth blending isn't that difficult once you get the hang of it, and I would recommend practicing it some (especially if it means more awesome pictures like this). Eyedropper tools are also super useful for blending (in Photoshop, if you press Alt while the brush tool is selected, it will switch you to the eyedropper tool until you stop pressing Alt, and it's incredibly useful for shading and blending. I'm not sure if your program has something like that).

Other than that little bit though, this drawing is really fantastic. I'm particularly impressed with how well you nailed the lighting, as far as what areas are highlighted and what are in shadow, especially given the pretty complete light sources. Awesome job.
    Last edited by Silviya; 2012-02-17 at 05:34 AM.

My deviantART account: link.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Bugbear in the Playground

I do like the design and feel of this one, but I can't quite tell what's going on with its wing(s). From here it seems that it has a single vertical spike at the base of its neck with fire-"feathers" emitted along the length, and a jointed "arm" in the middle of the back, with fire-"feathers" emitted from the orb on its end. If it's supposed to be that way, as I'm assuming per "cybernetic undead monstrosity", then well done.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

4. - Top - End - #994

Quote Originally Posted by Silviya View Post
    Ooh, I like that a lot. You did a lot of nice shading on it, and I really like how non-standard it is. I love the wings and how you've painted the fieriness of them. And that thing looks really cool.
    Thank you! I've been practising flame effects in a variety of contexts and all that knowledge was just there when I came up with a cool visual for the wings. Added to that was a few experiments and it worked out really cool.

The one piece of advice I have on it, shading wise, is that generally, I've found that shading works best if it's either crosshatching, cell shading, or smoothly blended. While the shading you have is good, some of it (I'm mostly looking at the shading in the leg area with this) is sort of . . . chaotically line-y. Most of the rest of the shading on this looks more like what I'd consider to be smooth shading (though most of the transitions aren't that smooth, and they shouldn't be for this piece, given the strong light source). Does the program you're using have blending tools? Do your pen and tablet have pressure sensitivity? If so, smooth blending isn't that difficult once you get the hang of it, and I would recommend practicing it some (especially if it means more awesome pictures like this). Eyedropper tools are also super useful for blending (in Photoshop, if you press Alt while the brush tool is selected, it will switch you to the eyedropper tool until you stop pressing Alt, and it's incredibly useful for shading and blending. I'm not sure if your program has something like that).
    - Yes, my tablet has pressure sensitivity. I'm not sure what you mean by blending tools. I've got blur, water, and paint blending settings in SAI, but my experience with Photoshop is nearly nil. I'm also aware of the existence of the eyedropper but not with it's practical applications.

Basically, explain this concept to me like I ain't never known nothing about Photoshop and I'll be delighted to experiment.

Other than that little bit though, this drawing is really fantastic. I'm particularly impressed with how well you nailed the lighting, as far as what areas are highlighted and what are in shadow, especially given the pretty complete light sources. Awesome job.
    I'm torn, on one hand I want to accept the compliment, on the other hand I feel the need to mention that I didn't Best Practise the shading, especially because I did most of the shading before I came up with the idea for the burny wings. Even then, most of it was just pure experience and experimentation talking and taking me along for the ride.

That said, there is plenty there I'm very happy with, and being able to eyeball shading without recourse to my structured katas. That in itself is something to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    I do like the design and feel of this one, but I can't quite tell what's going on with its wing(s). From here it seems that it has a single vertical spike at the base of its neck with fire-"feathers" emitted along the length, and a jointed "arm" in the middle of the back, with fire-"feathers" emitted from the orb on its end. If it's supposed to be that way, as I'm assuming per "cybernetic undead monstrosity", then well done.
    You're asking me if I meant to do something that looks cool? Then the answer is obviously yes.

The real answer is that the wings were a post-picture afterthought, and I was meaning to clean them up a bit when I came back to them. And then I stared at the effect and figured that it was kind of cool like it was so I left it. I figured out how it works in my head since and it's not unviable, makes a rather fearsome ground combatant.

Day 276: Dragon Month #18

"Of a similar breed to Eliogue mentioned earlier is the Ebon Dragon, the Primordial of Nemesis. He was formerly known as the Shadow of the Dragon, and he existed as the shadow of himself. He was content in that role, working forever to bring 'himself' down, attempting endlessly to shatter that paragon of virtue. So the Dragon found himself in opposition; he was all that he was not.

"In the War, the Dragon was slain, and the Shadow escaped. The shadow was now unfettered by a host - a nemesis to a concept that no longer was. Rather than being a shadow cast by just one light, now the Dragon was shattered, splintered; every shadow cast by every light. Fragments of his soul spread out far and wide and took refuge behind everything in Creation. And the Dragon's Shadow lived, now just a shadow of it's former self.

"The Shadow no longer understands big and small. All nemesis is nemesis. He will devote himself utterly and endlessly to your destruction no matter who or what you are. He will tear at you as relentlessly as your own shadow. And woe to the world, for while the Dragon could endure his shadow's terrors, the world is not quite so durable."

[Off day; my energy was diverted]

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 45 mins
    Music: Quadraxis
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-18 at 06:14 AM.

5. - Top - End - #995

Day 277: Dragon Month #19

"Fairy Dragons proper are small, insectile creatures, not much larger than the typical dragonfly. Indeed, it can be quite difficult to tell them apart at a distance.

"I would recommend that you learn how.

"Another piece of advice is that these creatures attack using concentrated mana rather than fire itself, meaning that the only valid defense is not to be in the area when they start flipping out. This is difficult because they are astoundingly fast. The only saving grace is that they're relatively uninterested in humans.

I have since been informed that what I previously mistook for a breath attack could, in fact, be the 'true form' of the dragon, like a reflection in a mirror. A fascinating concept that raises far more questions than it answers."

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 45 minutes
    Music: Hearts and Hooves
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-19 at 06:58 AM.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ogre in the Playground

Dear gods that's a lot of fire/mana/stuff. Having fun with fire effects are we?

7. - Top - End - #997
    Troll in the Playground

The fire does look good, but what I particularly like is what you did with the dusting of white in the background.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

8. - Top - End - #998

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    Dear gods that's a lot of fire/mana/stuff. Having fun with fire effects are we?
    Effects are so fun in general.

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    The fire does look good, but what I particularly like is what you did with the dusting of white in the background.
    Thanks!

Day 278: Dragon Month #20

"If your teeth come down, my blade goes up!"

*Muffled* "If your blade goes up, my teeth comes down!"

"Want to call it a draw?"

"Never, reptile."

"I don't get why you're so mad. I just asked her on a picnic."

"Don't talk with your mouth full and save your lies for your deity."

"I spy with my my little eye..."

"Don't even start."

And they lived happily ever after.

Spoiler
    Show

Music: Tick Tock

9. - Top - End - #999
    Orc in the Playground

I liked your picture, the concept was hilarious and I loved the annoyed expressions on both of the characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Every time someone presses the quote button on one of my posts I steal a very small part of their soul.

I have a Tumblr now. So that's cool.

10. - Top - End - #1000

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    I liked your picture, the concept was hilarious and I loved the annoyed expressions on both of the characters.
    Thank you.

EDIT: For anyone else who's interested, I just now found these dragon tutorials.

Day 279: Dragon Month #21

*semilegible margin scrawl* "It's our duty to teach our children how to dance"

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 30 minutes
    Music: Dashie
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-21 at 08:05 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Bugbear in the Playground

Something funky is going on with the legs of one or both of them. And the human's arm around the dragonling's neck blends with her (I'm assuming it's a she) hair/mane/whatever you call it too much. And lacks a sleeve. Otherwise, interesting.

Also, stealing reply #1000 before anyone else can. :D
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

12. - Top - End - #1002

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Something funky is going on with the legs of one or both of them. And the human's arm around the dragonling's neck blends with her (I'm assuming it's a she) hair/mane/whatever you call it too much. And lacks a sleeve. Otherwise, interesting.

Also, stealing reply #1000 before anyone else can. :D
    *Nod nod*

Day 280: Dragon Month #22

"Levethix was an excellent teacher on a variety of topics, and he played the part of the bleaguered, harmless scholar to the hilt. Every now and again he slowed a flash of nobility and power that reminded me of the fact that he was a dragon. He was so powerful he could chose to be anything, and he had chosen to be kind."

[Variety of reasons for a quick piece right now. University's returned so I've got less time for things in general. Maybe more later]

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 20 Mins
    Music: Friendship

13. - Top - End - #1003

Day 280a: Better killed by a human

A thing for a place. Soft Serve I'll try and get your picture done over the next few days.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1004

Day 281: Dragon Month #23

"To assume that dragons are technologically inept is to assume poorly. They frequently show no interest in technology because technology frequently has nothing to offer them. Arguably, the end state of technology is to create the kind of power and security that a dragon wields from the day it is born.

"That said, dragons frequently show an interest in mortal technology. They treat it as a game, a challenge for their minds. On occasion, they take a further step and begin integrating technology with their bodies to further their capabilities - the most notorious case being that of Deathwing the Black - but the effectiveness of these 'upgrades' is often questionable."

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 3 hours
    Music: Ghost Assassin
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-23 at 12:52 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Barbarian in the Playground

Effects are so fun in general.

Thanks!

Day 278: Dragon Month #20

"If your teeth come down, my blade goes up!"

*Muffled* "If your blade goes up, my teeth comes down!"

"Want to call it a draw?"

"Never, reptile."

"I don't get why you're so mad. I just asked her on a picnic."

"Don't talk with your mouth full and save your lies for your deity."

"I spy with my my little eye..."

"Don't even start."

And they lived happily ever after.

Spoiler
    Show

Music: Tick Tock
    Ahaha i get the reference! love that picture
    ADVENTURE!!!!!

My current story ponies-Ponylagann in the Ponythread.
    Spoiler
    Show

NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey Thanqol, I was wondering when you'd begin taking requests again. I assume after you've finished up Dragon Month?

17. - Top - End - #1007

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelhero View Post
    Ahaha i get the reference! love that picture
    Good man!

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Hey Thanqol, I was wondering when you'd begin taking requests again. I assume after you've finished up Dragon Month?
    I'll take requests now but they've got to be dragon related.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Ogre in the Playground

Ack. Could you make... I dunno, a genderbent female dragon Candles avatar for the rest of the week for me? Or something?

19. - Top - End - #1009

Ack. Could you make... I dunno, a genderbent female dragon Candles avatar for the rest of the week for me? Or something?
    I've been waiting for someone to ask me that.

Day 282: Dragon Month #24

"I have yet, in all my studies, to discover a satisfactory explanation for the reasons why dragons have fins, horns, spikes or hair. I have also failed to discover any kind of pattern or social reasoning for it, nor have I seen any dragon altering it's natural features. As far as I can discern, the facial characteristics of dragons are entirely random."

Time: 30 Mins
    Music: God Thinks

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Titan in the Playground

Still cute. :3
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Ogre in the Playground

The eyes are greeeeeeen... But oh well. Thanks, Thanqol! You're awesome!

22. - Top - End - #1012

The eyes are greeeeeeen... But oh well. Thanks, Thanqol! You're awesome!
    Green would not remotely work with that colour scheme. You've got a really good thing going with the grey/blue which melds naturally into violet, it's a good look. Green would throw that all off.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

You think he'd look better with violet eyes, then?

24. - Top - End - #1014

Id like to request something but i always feel bad being like "RAWR, id like you to make art for me!"
    ADVENTURE!!!!!

Spoiler
    Show

NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce

25. - Top - End - #1015

You think he'd look better with violet eyes, then?
    I do, blends everything together on the colour wheel. Just my opinion though.

Id like to request something but i always feel bad being like "RAWR, id like you to make art for me!"
    Ask away. I love suggestions. Worst case is I don't draw it.

On that note, if you're requesting, be specific, be detailed and be interesting.

Day 282a: Mr. Keynes

My Rogue Trader Seneschal.

Picture has the distinction of possessing my messiest, most detailed and best sketch layer to date.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-24 at 07:19 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Ettin in the Playground

Needs more thumbs, longer legs and pocket bulges. Also, i'm not quite sure what's going on with his ear.
    (thumbs are optional though, depending on how he holds that particular gun.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

27. - Top - End - #1017

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Needs more thumbs, longer legs and pocket bulges. Also, i'm not quite sure what's going on with his ear.
    (thumbs are optional though, depending on how he holds that particular gun.)
    - Thumbs are an artifact of the grip, that's how it's meant to be.
    - Pocket bulges I totally flubbed.
    - Ear is the result of half-semi-realistically doing it, should have gone with a more basic shape
    - I'm not seeing what you mean about the legs, they look to me properly proportioned using my quick checks (legs as long as the rest of the body). Would you care to explain/show a testing method?

Day 283: Dragon Month #25

"Deathwing the Destroyer is one of the most notorious dragons the world over. He is master of the Black Dragonflight and, in order to prepare himself for war, he had adamantine plates grafted over the top of his very scales. The process, I am lead to believe, must have been agonising, but it has made what was before 'merely' a dragon of legend an all-powerful burning nightmare that stands a real chance of breaking the world over his knee."

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 40 minutes
    Music: Ghosts
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-24 at 07:56 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1018

I do, blends everything together on the colour wheel. Just my opinion though.

Ask away. I love suggestions. Worst case is I don't draw it.

On that note, if you're requesting, be specific, be detailed and be interesting.
    Very well!
    Keeping with your theme of Dragon month, id like to see Dragon-Ponyard reveling in new-found power. (optional: A very frightened Skyrocket observing)
    However, ponyard has a bit of a lust for power, so his expression would be one of twisted satisfaction. he would most likely be laughing quietly. Ponyard has had to fight for his life since he was a child, and scars that wouldnt show on his pony form are quite obvious on a dragons body. He is almost litteraly covered in them.
    In place of a unicorns horn he has two over-sized magical gauntlets that channel his magics.
    Day 283: Dragon Month #25

"Deathwing the Destroyer is one of the most notorious dragons the world over. He is master of the Black Dragonflight and, in order to prepare himself for war, he had adamantine plates grafted over the top of his very scales. The process, I am lead to believe, must have been agonising, but it has made what was before 'merely' a dragon of legend an all-powerful burning nightmare that stands a real chance of breaking the world over his knee."

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 40 minutes
    Music: Ghosts
    Deathwing is one scary Moe'suckra. His hatred is so powerful its actually tearing him apart physically.
    Last edited by Rebelhero; 2012-02-25 at 05:50 AM.
    ADVENTURE!!!!!

Spoiler
    Show

NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce

29. - Top - End - #1019

Very well!
    Keeping with your theme of Dragon month, id like to see Dragon-Ponyard reveling in new-found power. (optional: A very frightened Skyrocket observing)
    However, ponyard has a bit of a lust for power, so his expression would be one of twisted satisfaction. he would most likely be laughing quietly. Ponyard has had to fight for his life since he was a child, and scars that wouldnt show on his pony form are quite obvious on a dragons body. He is almost litteraly covered in them.
    In place of a unicorns horn he has two over-sized magical gauntlets that channel his magics.
    Hopefully I'll remember!

Day 284: Dragon Month #26

"Twilight. I'ma take a nap now an' by the time I wake up I'd better be back to normal, ya'll understand?"

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 hour 15 mins
    Music: Slew Test 2

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Dwarf in the Playground

- Yes, my tablet has pressure sensitivity. I'm not sure what you mean by blending tools. I've got blur, water, and paint blending settings in SAI, but my experience with Photoshop is nearly nil. I'm also aware of the existence of the eyedropper but not with it's practical applications.

Basically, explain this concept to me like I ain't never known nothing about Photoshop and I'll be delighted to experiment.
    Sorry it took me forever to reply to this, real life had been a little crazy lately (Translation: I tried to write half of the first draft of my current novel in five days. I succeeded, but needed to catch up on a lot of sleep afterwards).

For some reason, it's kind of tricky to describe the method that I use for blending, probably because I've used it so much. However, I did find this tutorial, which describes the blending method I use pretty well. The one thing that I do differently that that tutorial is that my brush setting are less fancy. Just a normal round brush, or maybe a textured brush, set to 100% opacity and maybe 75% hardness, depending on how smooth I want to make things, and then checking the little box that makes the color lighter the less you press down on the tablet. That and having a keyboard command for the eyedropper tool are all you really need.

I also found this when I was looking for the other tutorial. I know that you don't use traditional art that much anymore, but that tutorial was amazingly helpful for me, so you might find it helpful if you ever start doing more traditional art.

I really like the dragon from day 283. It's a very creepy silhouette, and I like how you blended the eye into the face a bit, which makes it look kind of like it's glowing. That's not a dragon I'd ever want to meet.

My deviantART account: link.