New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1347
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw!

Ah, thanks.
    THE MORE YOU KNOW
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    Good, big chunks. The smaller chunks...appear to be in lines. This makes very little sense with the nature of debris. Try triangles?

Still, the image is neat. Thank you for adding in the links to the images.
    Hmm, I'll ponder this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    The Trade Surplus looks shiny. I could easily be a happy-go-lucky, slightly sociopathic captain for a ship that straightforward.
    The Trade Surplus is in many ways the ideal Rogue Traders ship.

I would definitely want mine to be closer to 'intelligent machine god'. Which in 40k I think tends towards being canon, for large things such as titans and spaceships.
    Alien hacker: "Okay... I've accessed the Imperial Warship's mainframe. Let's see what we got here. Command: Lower shields"
    Imperial Ship: "PRAY TO ME"
    Hacker: "What?"
    Imperial Ship: "PRAY TO ME, LITTLE ALIEN, FOR I AM A GOD. I WIELD THE DIVINE FLAME THAT SCOURGES PLANETS BARE. I HAVE SHATTERED SPECIES AND BROKEN MY PEERS. I HOLD WITHIN ME A NATION, I SPREAD THE IDEALS OF AN EMPIRE, AND I HAVE SEEN THE TURN OF MILLENNIA. PRAY TO ME, AND IF YOUR PRAYERS PLEASE ME, I SHALL ANSWER. IF YOUR PRAYERS DISPLEASE ME I SHALL DESTROY YOU AND ALL YOUR KIND IN THE DIVINE FLAME THAT IS MY BIRTHRIGHT."

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAquilaDei View Post
    Apart from the setting, yeah.

The original Rogue Trader placed a slightly greater emphasis on their namesakes than subsequent incarnations, and eventually evolved into the many hammers we see today.

FF's Rogue Trader I think is compatible on some levels with their other 40k roleplaying games, Dark heresy and Deathwatch, although it is a standalone product first (I think).
    This is all true.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-03-25 at 06:18 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Titan in the Playground

Alien hacker: "Okay... I've accessed the Imperial Warship's mainframe. Let's see what we got here. Command: Lower shields"
    Imperial Ship: "PRAY TO ME"
    Hacker: "What?"
    Imperial Ship: "PRAY TO ME, LITTLE ALIEN, FOR I AM A GOD. I WIELD THE DIVINE FLAME THAT SCOURGES PLANETS BARE. I HAVE SHATTERED SPECIES AND BROKEN MY PEERS. I HOLD WITHIN ME A NATION, I SPREAD THE IDEALS OF AN EMPIRE, AND I HAVE SEEN THE TURN OF MILLENNIA. PRAY TO ME, AND IF YOUR PRAYERS PLEASE ME, I SHALL ANSWER. IF YOUR PRAYERS DISPLEASE ME I SHALL DESTROY YOU AND ALL YOUR KIND IN THE DIVINE FLAME THAT IS MY BIRTHRIGHT."
    "Oh ship, I could never have a better ship than you!" says the captain, hugging a random bulkhead. The newly assigned ensign opens his mouth to ask a question, and the first mate just gives him a bemused shrug that clearly says 'Don't ask.'
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

4. - Top - End - #1114

"Oh ship, I could never have a better ship than you!" says the captain, hugging a random bulkhead. The newly assigned ensign opens his mouth to ask a question, and the first mate just gives him a bemused shrug that clearly says 'Don't ask.'
    Honestly, hugging the ship doesn't count as unusual for a Rogue Trader. Firing the nova cannon at allied positions because they were 'probably planning to betray me' doesn't count as unusual for a Rogue Trader. Ordering his troops to wield blackpowder muskets doesn't count as unusual for a Rogue Trader. Riding through the lower decks on a lava scorpion, shooting whatever unfortunate crew members you happen across with anti vehicle weaponry doesn't count as unusual for a Rogue Trader (and they can't fight back with their 16th century muskets!).

All are real examples, by the way. Grand insanity is a prerequisite, not a bug.

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey. So ... I have a request. It's for a cosplay I'm planning in a week and a half. Basically, it's human Rainbow Dash. I don't have a lot of money, so it's gonna be simple: Teal shirt with the Wonderbolts logo, shorts, white sneakers, and hair dye. I also plan to have a katana (I want a no-dachi though), a sawed-off shotgun (if I can afford it), Kamina shades, and possibly wings (again, if I can afford it).
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1116

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflight View Post
    Hey. So ... I have a request. It's for a cosplay I'm planning in a week and a half. Basically, it's human Rainbow Dash. I don't have a lot of money, so it's gonna be simple: Teal shirt with the Wonderbolts logo, shorts, white sneakers, and hair dye. I also plan to have a katana (I want a no-dachi though), a sawed-off shotgun (if I can afford it), Kamina shades, and possibly wings (again, if I can afford it).
    On the list!

Day 313: The Machine Gods

Hey, free tip to everyone else who's doing drawing practise: This kind of ridiculously complicated sci-fi scenery is fantastic practise. It looks hard but it gets your mind thinking in all sorts of ways; breaking down the scenery into shapes and blocks. They're so educational.

Crude, but for half an hour this is great. Big problem is the wobbly lines which are purely down to haste and irrelevant if I paint it. I'll try to get more of these done.

Links

Time: 30 mins
    Music: Monster
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-03-26 at 02:30 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, hugging the ship doesn't count as unusual for a Rogue Trader. Firing the nova cannon at allied positions because they were 'probably planning to betray me' doesn't count as unusual for a Rogue Trader. Ordering his troops to wield blackpowder muskets doesn't count as unusual for a Rogue Trader. Riding through the lower decks on a lava scorpion, shooting whatever unfortunate crew members you happen across with anti vehicle weaponry doesn't count as unusual for a Rogue Trader (and they can't fight back with their 16th century muskets!).
    I want to play this game with you. Please say there's a way I can.

Also, that new pic reminds me of GLaDOS slightly? But with more guns.

8. - Top - End - #1118

I want to play this game with you. Please say there's a way I can.

Also, that new pic reminds me of GLaDOS slightly? But with more guns.
    I'm at my limit for games I can run, but if you could find someone else willing to GM (this or almost anything else, really) I'd be hella up for playing.

And there was an air of 'I'm designing a Metroid boss' to that picture.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-03-26 at 06:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1119

Day 314: They're Not Paying Me Enough For This

I'm never one to not follow through on my own advice. Following talks with the Prince in his drawthread I decided to practise some faces and expressions. Kinda strapped for time, but gosh, I've improved. Samuel L. Jackson visibly resembles himself. Rear 3/4 profiles are really hard and look weird even if they're done right.

There's been a lot of sketchy pictures recently, but I've mentally made up for it by making sure they're all ambitious in some respect even if I'm strapped for time. These are really teaching me a lot.

Links

Time: 25 mins
    Music: Sweet Apple Acres

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Titan in the Playground

I know a guy who knows a guy. who plays one kind of 40k RP. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Ooh, definitely visible as himself. :)

11. - Top - End - #1121

I know a guy who knows a guy. who plays one kind of 40k RP. Maybe I'll get lucky.
    That's... what... she said [/unable to stop self]

Day 315: Speedfacin'

Never ask someone to do something you're not willing to do yourself!

Less than 5 mins spent on each of these. Blasted for speed rather than precision. I started shaking up my design principles before long and tried a few different things. There are some disasters here but some very important lessons that I'm going to come back to later.

I might redo this, taking my time, tomorrow. The damage is done but the lesson is irreversible.

Link

Time: 45 mins
    Music: I Don't Care (Added to Jayden's playlist)
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-03-28 at 02:03 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've seen that box-of-expressions project somewhere. It's a very good idea based off of the concept of state-related-learning. Of course, the one I saw was probably not like the exact one which Thanqol used. Still, it's good practice. I also think I see what was meant by learning a lesson.

Good job, Thanqol.

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Titan in the Playground

That's... what... she said [/unable to stop self]
    Sadly, he has a girlfriend. :P
    Also my net died before he came online.

Day 315: Speedfacin'
    The pattern is starting to look mildly creepy.

14. - Top - End - #1124

I've seen that box-of-expressions project somewhere. It's a very good idea based off of the concept of state-related-learning. Of course, the one I saw was probably not like the exact one which Thanqol used. Still, it's good practice. I also think I see what was meant by learning a lesson.

Good job, Thanqol.
    Thank you! I tried applying some of those lessons today.

The pattern is starting to look mildly creepy.
    I don't know why that could be.

Day 316: Scelesti

Worked out just like I imagined. And faster than I expected!

Link

Time: 1 hour
    Music: You Know My Name

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Ogre in the Playground

Right, so, I'm leaving for a week, so you may as well put my request on hold. Cool drawings, by the way!

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know why that could be.

Day 316: Scelesti
    (FLEEEEEE)

17. - Top - End - #1127

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Right, so, I'm leaving for a week, so you may as well put my request on hold. Cool drawings, by the way!
    Sorry about the holdup, I'm kind of on a roll here.

(FLEEEEEE)
    To where? Distance is a lie.

Day 317: The Winter Prince

Gosh, this was another ambitious piece, but double gosh did I learn a lot. Practical lessons:

- If you've got an area selected you can't paint outside that area, making selecting fragments of your drawing a wonderful help in shading.
    - 3600x2400 px resolution +7px brush at 50% min density is really good for linework; I'm defaulting to those settings now.
    - Canvas texturing can look good for clothing.
    - Noses are really big
    - This bristle-brush hairstyling I've been trying recently is a bit hit and miss. I can probably get a better effect with flats+highlights, will work on that.

Overall this is pretty much the best human face I've done. Also remarkably quick start to finish. Hurray!

Link

Time: 1.5 hours
    Music: Fluttershy's Training Montage
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-04-07 at 06:00 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1128

That's some nice technique for light reflection in the eyes. The grain of the hair does not bother me, to my surprise, but the shaded hair behind the right ear does. That's probably because the grain is either not present or too difficult to detect.

It's a good image. The tie knot does not look symmetrical, but that's probably the correct way to draw it. Many people have trouble making a proper tie knot. There's a definite light side and dark side with this image. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, but it doesn't look the most natural. There are shadows on the skin and don't strike me as weird, but the high detail of the hair does not spill into the rest of the image like we would probably assume it should.

Thank you again for using the links. I'm glad that you're making notes about what you learned.

19. - Top - End - #1129

That's some nice technique for light reflection in the eyes. The grain of the hair does not bother me, to my surprise, but the shaded hair behind the right ear does. That's probably because the grain is either not present or too difficult to detect.
    True, tried colouring too close to the photograph.

It's a good image. The tie knot does not look symmetrical, but that's probably the correct way to draw it. Many people have trouble making a proper tie knot.
    TIES. Been practising 'em.

There's a definite light side and dark side with this image. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, but it doesn't look the most natural. There are shadows on the skin and don't strike me as weird, but the high detail of the hair does not spill into the rest of the image like we would probably assume it should.
    Hmm, point.

Thank you again for using the links. I'm glad that you're making notes about what you learned.
    Entirely welcome.

Day 318: For The Father

Cyprus, the Golden Gloved Archon. Jayden's evil religious zealot opposite.

They've got a nice duality. Jayden's extremely faithful but isn't quite clear on what God is; she just trusts in a higher power. Cyprus knows for a fact that the higher powers are Exarchs and they're horrifying monsters, so she actively hates them even as she serves them. Jayden's defined a lot by her faith; taking that and destroying it is really the root of Cyprus becoming a villain.

This was good. Yes. Quite happy with this. Want to progress my linework using these basic settings and explore this style.

Linksies

Music: Game of Thrones Rock
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-03-31 at 04:33 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1130

Nice! Nice-nice-nice-nice-nice.

...balanced detail between the clothes and the skin. The audience can tell that the clothes are stiff leather. The sword is well detailed, though I can't think of an immediate historical match. There's a...black splotch between the hilt of the sword and the character's left hand. I assume that this is either obscuration of something important, or a perspective error from the view of the artist. Those four lines for the lower palm should have been enough. Maybe that black splotch was supposed to be a crease in the glove following the palm's natural contours?

Nice short hair-spray from the brow. Good facial expression. The hair line above the brow resembles a female.

And that lantern-bell-thing with ribbon-tassels is really neat! I like the detail with it.

Also, I have a question: "Is the fact that the character's left glove being so different from the right glove an intentional embellishment?"

21. - Top - End - #1131

Nice! Nice-nice-nice-nice-nice.
    Hurray!

...balanced detail between the clothes and the skin. The audience can tell that the clothes are stiff leather. The sword is well detailed, though I can't think of an immediate historical match.
    Honestly, if all I learned today was that swords aren't shaped like triangles, that'd have been enough.

There's a...black splotch between the hilt of the sword and the character's left hand. I assume that this is either obscuration of something important, or a perspective error from the view of the artist. Those four lines for the lower palm should have been enough. Maybe that black splotch was supposed to be a crease in the glove following the palm's natural contours?
    Yeah, my bad; the four lines weren't looking sufficient to do it but I shouldn't have included one and only one area for shading

Nice short hair-spray from the brow. Good facial expression. The hair line above the brow resembles a female.
    That's good because the character is female (deliberately boyish in design, though).

And that lantern-bell-thing with ribbon-tassels is really neat! I like the detail with it.
    That's the Paternoster symbol, from Seers of the Throne. Essentially the deal of the Paternoster is that you're not worthy of worshipping god so they fill all religions with lies and hierarchies and essentially get you to worship the pope hat in place of any real divinity.

All the Seer Ministries are like that; terrible, terrible people who weaponise the worst of humanity to keep people down. Pointless ritual. Meaningless war. Useless acquisition of wealth. Taking things that should be good and true and removing the higher meaning from them so they're just pointless wastes of time.

Also, I have a question: "Is the fact that the character's left glove being so different from the right glove an intentional embellishment?"
    An unfortunate case of drawing an undressed sketch layer and forgetting to update everything when I went to inking, so no. I still reserve the right to claim emergent victory.

EDIT: By the way, thanks for these daily comments you're doing, I really appreciate them. Can I offer you a drawrequest?
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-03-31 at 06:34 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1132

Honestly, if all I learned today was that swords aren't shaped like triangles, that'd have been enough.
    I laughed at this, yes I did.

Yeah, my bad; the four lines weren't looking sufficient to do it but I shouldn't have included one and only one area for shading.
    If it had been gray in color I think it would have been much more discernible. Shadows...are hard though. Adding only one isn't enough, so I want to let you know that I understand what an undertaking adding shadows is. It's like drawing the art twice, except with different rules the second time. ...and possibly more effort required.

That's the Paternoster symbol[...]
    No wonder she's so angry. Still, it's a good character representation. I think we should officially call this one as being in the direction of improvement.

Ack! Thanqol's edit requires me to edit! It's an Additional Edition of Multiplication!

...you are very welcome. Let me think for a while about it.
    Last edited by Story Time; 2012-03-31 at 06:44 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1133

I laughed at this, yes I did.

If it had been gray in color I think it would have been much more discernible. Shadows...are hard though. Adding only one isn't enough, so I want to let you know that I understand what an undertaking adding shadows is. It's like drawing the art twice, except with different rules the second time. ...and possibly more effort required.
    I've got a solid conceptual framework for shadows at this point thanks to a combination of advice from Dizpo and Domo, just needs practise. Should probably have used a touch have crosshatching there to tell the truth.

No wonder she's so angry. Still, it's a good character representation. I think we should officially call this one as being in the direction of improvement.
    Huzza!

Ack! Thanqol's edit requires me to edit! It's an Additional Edition of Multiplication!

...you are very welcome. Let me think for a while about it.
    Look forwards to it

Day 319: Fillystata

Time for some Midnight fanart! No, no, the other Midnight.

I had to draw a pony today because THEY MADE ME.

Was originally going to be another Metal Mask picture but I decided the feel worked better for Deadly's archvillain. I've finally figured out a way to use boxing to appropriately judge proportions; I started this picture by drawing a sequence of squares and then fit each part into it's relevant square. Very effective.

Refinement of paints, progress was sufficient. Background was fun but I want to investigate other styles of minimalistic backgrounds.

Linksies

Time: 1.5 hours
    Music: Past Sins

24. - Top - End - #1134

Very pony-rific!

Very moody piece, too. The limbs are long, but mostly look like they belong. The background is very abstract, but that's understandable. The lines for the character look neat and Thanqol's assessment of the proportions appears just as much accurate as it was encouraging.

What a terrific horn! Very good.

The hair is neat and pleasant. Neither the hair nor the horn draw any negative attention to each other ( that I can discern ).

But...( and I have to add this in or it won't be complete ) the eye. The eye looks like it comes from Spider-man's mask. What I mean is, there is no dynamic there. It appears like a flat space rather than a curved orb space like it should. Usually a pupil and iris make up for this by simulating what should appear in the eye space, but in this case there is no such detail. My assumption is that Thanqol was going for a Glowing-Eye-Look, but because there does not appear to be a glow effect, the eye surface looks flat and white rather than filtering mystical light through its surface.

On the aft side of the pony's face is...a lightened area. And...it puzzles me. It gives to me the impression that there is some kind of light source inside of the pony's hair and that the stream is being pointed at the left jaw and cheek of the pony's face. I can see how this lit area should match the left hind leg, but I believe it's too much. That hair should create shadow, yes?

The Cutie Mark is very good. There are nice, tight, lines there.

Thanqol did nicely with this. Many of the good places are in the subtle places where the colors of the character are very close to the colors of the background image. Most of the...brightness of the pony appears as if it belongs with the background.

25. - Top - End - #1135

Very pony-rific!
    Ponytacular!

Very moody piece, too. The limbs are long, but mostly look like they belong. The background is very abstract, but that's understandable. The lines for the character look neat and Thanqol's assessment of the proportions appears just as much accurate as it was encouraging.

What a terrific horn! Very good.
    That horn was totally not frantically added at the last second after the picture's recipient pointed out it's lack. Lessons learned from swords applied excellently to horns!

But...( and I have to add this in or it won't be complete ) the eye. The eye looks like it comes from Spider-man's mask. What I mean is, there is no dynamic there. It appears like a flat space rather than a curved orb space like it should. Usually a pupil and iris make up for this by simulating what should appear in the eye space, but in this case there is no such detail. My assumption is that Thanqol was going for a Glowing-Eye-Look, but because there does not appear to be a glow effect, the eye surface looks flat and white rather than filtering mystical light through its surface.
    Hm, I understand the concern but I feel inclined to defend the choice. This stems from pure subjectivity in that I think blank white eyes are the creepiest things of all time. I'll ponder this regardless, though.

On the aft side of the pony's face is...a lightened area. And...it puzzles me. It gives to me the impression that there is some kind of light source inside of the pony's hair and that the stream is being pointed at the left jaw and cheek of the pony's face. I can see how this lit area should match the left hind leg, but I believe it's too much. That hair should create shadow, yes?
    Still getting the hang of shading and shadows, thanks for pointing this out.

The Cutie Mark is very good. There are nice, tight, lines there.
    SPIDERS ARE WEIRD

Thanqol did nicely with this. Many of the good places are in the subtle places where the colors of the character are very close to the colors of the background image. Most of the...brightness of the pony appears as if it belongs with the background.
    Thanqol did! Thanqol treasures being able to draw pictures like this on a whim for Thanqol's friends. Thanqol can justify this entire drawing project on those grounds alone.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Titan in the Playground

Thanqol did! Thanqol treasures being able to draw pictures like this on a whim for Thanqol's friends. Thanqol can justify this entire drawing project on those grounds alone.
    Thanqol sounds adorable when Thanqol says Thanqol in third person. Like, I wanna grab you and cuddle you and have you be my mad science lab assistant.

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Troll in the Playground

This was good. Yes. Quite happy with this. Want to progress my linework using these basic settings and explore this style.

Linksies

Music: Game of Thrones Rock
    These arms look goods and rather well proportionated. And those looks almost like.. hands.
    Who are you and what have you done to the real Tanghol ?
    (Joke aside, I've noticed though, you really have a tendecy to make arms a bit too long. it pariculary showed in some of the previous things you've drawn)
    This is easily one of the best picture you've done lately, IMO.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2012-04-01 at 07:55 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

28. - Top - End - #1138

Thanqol sounds adorable when Thanqol says Thanqol in third person. Like, I wanna grab you and cuddle you and have you be my mad science lab assistant.
    Thanqol got master a brain! It's a bit defective, though. Thanqol found it on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    These arms look goods and rather well proportionated. And those looks almost like.. hands.
    Who are you and what have you done to the real Tanghol ?
    The real question is how much will you pay to have Thanqol released from the crawlspace?

(Joke aside, I've noticed though, you really have a tendecy to make arms a bit too long. it pariculary showed in some of the previous things you've drawn)
    This is easily one of the best picture you've done lately, IMO.
    Thanks! ^^

Day 320: Unexpected

Arghhh, I hate not having the time to finish things. Sketchy and rushed, but I've got stuff that needs doing this evening. Time management and efficiency was poor so I didn't get much done comparatively. Didn't quite achieve what I wanted to and it hurts to leave it here. Still psyched for drawing in general; there are highs and lows to this project and this period is definitely a high.

Links

Time: 45 mins
    Music: Obsolete

29. - Top - End - #1139

Day 321: Ivy Watchtower

Sorry for the horrible, blurry image quality; did all this in thin 2H and while it looks pretty decent in person the camera's just not picking it up.

Picture of a house and some grass. Grass is too easy to half ass, I want to learn better grasses. Preferably without relying on freaky custom photoshop brushes that I don't have.

Links

30. - Top - End - #1140

Day 321: Ivy Watchtower
    House, or castle? I think I see crenelations up near the roof.

Is that a tower on the left?

Neat little sketch-it, even with the insane blur. And, yeah, it is too much blur.