Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw!

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Corel Painter Essentials 4
    Is it free
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #182
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Is it free
    Unfortunately not. It came bundled with the drawing tablet I purchased. The website is here if you're interested.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Unfortunately not. It came bundled with the drawing tablet I purchased. The website is here if you're interested.
    But donīt you have bamboo fun? Becourse that is the one i have.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

4. - Top - End - #184

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    But donīt you have bamboo fun? Becourse that is the one i have.
    Yes, I purchased Bamboo Fun, but I got the package that included Corel and Photoshop along with the tablet itself.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, I purchased Bamboo Fun, but I got the package that included Corel and Photoshop along with the tablet itself.
    What edition of Photoshop did you get? I personally prefer Photoshop to Painter. It is less like traditional painting, but there are so much more options and different things you can do. YMMV, some people prefer Painter, and some people use both.

My deviantART account: link.

6. - Top - End - #186

Quote Originally Posted by Silviya View Post
    What edition of Photoshop did you get? I personally prefer Photoshop to Painter. It is less like traditional painting, but there are so much more options and different things you can do. YMMV, some people prefer Painter, and some people use both.
    Photoshop Elements 8.0. A few people have told me that Photoshop is the superior choice, but I wasn't able to figure out the interface as fast as I was with Corel. That's the sole reason for my choice; is it worth switching?

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

Photoshop Elements 8.0. A few people have told me that Photoshop is the superior choice, but I wasn't able to figure out the interface as fast as I was with Corel. That's the sole reason for my choice; is it worth switching?

Hmm, I don't know. I have Photoshop CS4, and I've also used Photoshop CS3, and they're both amazing. However, I've heard that Photoshop Elements is much simpler then CS-something, but I've never used Elements. So it's up to you if you want to switch or not. Photoshop is harder to learn then Painter (Especially the more complicated Photoshops), and I had an art teacher to show me how to use it. My digital art did improve after I switched to Photoshop, though.

I recommend you play around with Photoshop Elements a bit and see how much you like it. Then, if you like it, you could maybe try to get your hands onto a CS-something. CS5 (the newest version) is about $700.00 to $600.00, so that's probably way out of your budget. You can probably get CS4 or CS3 for much cheaper, and they really aren't that different from CS5.

Something cool in Photoshop (or at least in the CS versions) is all the brushes you can download from the internet. I've downloaded a ton of brush packs, from splatter brushes to grass brushes to dust brushes to fractal brushes (the fractal brushes are really cool). It's fun to play around with. If you end up getting a Photoshop that can support those brushes I'll send you the links to them.

My deviantART account: link.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Aww, man.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

9. - Top - End - #189

After looking over Photoshop Elements again, I suspect this is an image-editing only program, as I am unable to find any range of brushes or drawing tools. I could be missing something.

Day 47: Swatch

I half like this one. It was made with the intention to see if I could sort out a weird colour scheme into something that flowed better. I also experimented with using the wash tool as primary hair colourer; it worked great for the skin tone, but not so well for the hair. After two hours of work, I see what I would have done different if I had the chance for a do-over.

It's kind of a weird feeling. There are a lot of things here I'm happy with, and some things I'd change if I had more time. Particularly, next time I'm going to try an experimental colour scheme, I'm going to slash out an outline of those colours on the page and see if they clash. I'm also going to go for solid colour fills and accentuate using wash, like I did with the eye.

Model:

Spoiler
    Show

Finished:

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 2 1/4 hours
    Music: Radio

10. - Top - End - #190
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

After looking over Photoshop Elements again, I suspect this is an image-editing only program, as I am unable to find any range of brushes or drawing tools. I could be missing something.
    You're missing something. I got the same bundle you did with the same tablet, and use Photoshop Elements exclusively for all my art (okay, and Inkscape, but that's for a totally different type of art ). I did have trouble with Elements at first, but unfortunately I can't remember what I did to fix it well enough to help. The best I can do is give you a screenshot of my Elements with the tools circled, here.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Banned

Day 47: Swatch

I half like this one. It was made with the intention to see if I could sort out a weird colour scheme into something that flowed better. I also experimented with using the wash tool as primary hair colourer; it worked great for the skin tone, but not so well for the hair. After two hours of work, I see what I would have done different if I had the chance for a do-over.

It's kind of a weird feeling. There are a lot of things here I'm happy with, and some things I'd change if I had more time. Particularly, next time I'm going to try an experimental colour scheme, I'm going to slash out an outline of those colours on the page and see if they clash. I'm also going to go for solid colour fills and accentuate using wash, like I did with the eye.\

Model:

Spoiler
    Show

Finished:

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 2 1/4 hours
    Music: Radio
    oh, gracious. I had a building feeling I new what you were talking about when reading through your post, and, sure as sugar, there it is

In my defense, half of my colored pencils are a mystery until I've scrubbed the page a bit. (this is where you point out I should do test swatches in the margins )

The background color kind of washes the skin tone. Granted, I'm a hairs breadth away from passing out, but it makes the whole thing seem flat. The face doesn't pop enough off of the background.

Have you ever heard of an oekaki board? It is (to the best of my knowledge) a message board with it's own rudimentary but solid art program, specifically to draw/paint, and post it for other folks to critique. That's what your art reminds me of, right now. It's got the same feel.

I don't know that you can find one with both good artists and low drama, and I don't know that you could fit it into your already busy routine, but it's worth a bit of consideration, methinks.

Rock on.

12. - Top - End - #192

Day 47a: 20% More Swatch

You know what? Screw leaving things unfinished.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

...closer eye being smaller *cough*
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava Đ ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

14. - Top - End - #194

Day 47b: 63.67% more Swatch

You know what? SCREW SLEEP. GONNA ART

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I like the red and black effect, but does the tall guy in the mask have two right arms?

16. - Top - End - #196

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    I like the red and black effect, but does the tall guy in the mask have two right arms?
    No? I don't see what you're referring to?

17. - Top - End - #197

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Edit: Or is the tall guy facing forwards? In which case I'm not sure how the pose works with the other guy pointing guns at each other.
    Editx2: Or are they just inspecting their guns and I've misread where they're pointing their arms completely?
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-07-06 at 09:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198

Spoiler
    Show

Edit: Or is the tall guy facing forwards? In which case I'm not sure how the pose works with the other guy pointing guns at each other.
    No, the picture works. The masked guy's torso is facing towards the camera, same way as the other guy. His left arm is at the back, his right arm is holding the gun, and his neck is turned. You can see the outline of his opened coat.

Suitguy has left shoulder forwards, maskguy has right shoulder forwards, they're in an open stance, their torsos both facing the same direction. You can see this from the shape of their coats at the bottom.

I could probably have made that clearer, in retrospect.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-07-06 at 09:41 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199

He totally has two right arms and is wearing his coat backwards. It's obvious. Suit guy is great though.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #200

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    He totally has two right arms and is wearing his coat backwards. It's obvious. Suit guy is great though.
    I cannot tell if you are being ironic

21. - Top - End - #201

I cannot tell if you are being ironic
    [heavily sarcastic voice] Could I be any more sarcastic?[/voice]

It seems like one of those trick of perspective pictures. At first, it looks like he's backwards, but then your focus inverts and you see him as facing forwards and looking to his own right.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #202

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    [heavily sarcastic voice] Could I be any more sarcastic?[/voice]

It seems like one of those trick of perspective pictures. At first, it looks like he's backwards, but then your focus inverts and you see him as facing forwards and looking to his own right.
    Ah, yes, yes. I think next time I'll add something to his upper torso to make that clearer.

23. - Top - End - #203

Ah, yes, yes. I think next time I'll add something to his upper torso to make that clearer.
    It's the left hand (our right). He's holding it behind his back (or pocket?) in what looks like a really awkward manner, so the easier perspective is to invert the torso.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #204

Day 48: What's White, Black and Red all over?

This was all kinds of tricky; I've never drawn two people interacting before. The pose still isn't quite right, but progress was made. Some proportions and limb sizes are a bit off too, but I reckon I can make a show of choreographing this fight sequence.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 Hour
    Music: Eat Your Own Dust

25. - Top - End - #205

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm not getting the visual illusion thing with the mask guy this time. Although with the lack of outlines and some issues with depth I couldn't help seeing both figures being, uh, somewhat joined at the crotch.

I'd still say my biggest issue would be that their poses look a little too flat, like they've been stylised on a Egyptian mural. Both figures have their torsos facing the viewer but since they're interacting it's hard to place any depth to their individual components to get an idea of where everything is.

26. - Top - End - #206

I'm not getting the visual illusion thing with the mask guy this time. Although with the lack of outlines and some issues with depth I couldn't help seeing both figures being, uh, somewhat joined at the crotch.
    Raz fights dirty

I'd still say my biggest issue would be that their poses look a little too flat, like they've been stylised on a Egyptian mural. Both figures have their torsos facing the viewer but since they're interacting it's hard to place any depth to their individual components to get an idea of where everything is.
    Yeah, I agree entirely, but I reckon I can start experimenting with that. It's overall too stiff and straight to be natural, especially in a moment that's supposed to have more energy, but it's actually been a fair while since I did my stick figures and full human body drawings (and actually never in anything remotely similar to these stances). I'm going to try a few more like these until I've sorted out poses and stances to my satisfaction.

I think this is one of those situations where I just have to practise it a bunch; I feel like I'm on the right track and I just need to keep going.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-07-07 at 12:45 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Banned

Day 47b: 63.67% more Swatch

You know what? SCREW SLEEP. GONNA ART
    But I have to DM tomorrow! also out of inspiration for anything that I could show

Spoiler
    Show
    Nice. A little stiff on Mask's part, but it fits the character. Thy look entirely unconcerned to have guns aimed at their vulnerable bits.
    It is odd that Raz (I assume) is left handed though. Would probably I've him an edge in a swordfight.

No, the picture works. The masked guy's torso is facing towards the camera, same way as the other guy. His left arm is at the back, his right arm is holding the gun, and his neck is turned. You can see the outline of his opened coat.

Suitguy has left shoulder forwards, maskguy has right shoulder forwards, they're in an open stance, their torsos both facing the same direction. You can see this from the shape of their coats at the bottom.

I could probably have made that clearer, in retrospect.
    I got it, oddly enough. First thing I noticed (besides the faces) were the coat details on Mask. Really well done.
    No actual advice or critique I'm afraid. You're now beyond most of my help (which is a good thing; I would probably lead you astray )
    Who is the girl with the blue background?
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-07-07 at 04:06 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

But I have to DM tomorrow! also out of inspiration for anything that I could show
    Take some of my inspiration! Really. I can't stop drawing.

Nice. A little stiff on Mask's part, but it fits the character. Thy look entirely unconcerned to have guns aimed at their vulnerable bits.
    It is odd that Raz (I assume) is left handed though. Would probably I've him an edge in a swordfight.
    The Arcani either go for straight-backed stiff puppetism or creepy, twisty, spidery stances.

I got it, oddly enough. First thing I noticed (besides the faces) were the coat details on Mask. Really well done.
    No actual advice or critique I'm afraid. You're now beyond most of my help (which is a good thing; I would probably lead you astray )
    Who is the girl with the blue background?[/color]
    The girl is half a dozen different people depending on which stage of creation you asked that question. Learning that going in with a clear concept is important.

On that note.

Day 48b: A Sunburnt Penguin

This turned out a lot better. I'm so glad I went back in to fix the feet, they looked abominable in the first draft.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Needs more solid guns and a ruler for the sword.
    (Suit guys right arm also looks a bit short for this angle. Again, i suggest laying things out with stick figures first and keeping them in a layer below the entire thing. You can affort that luxury when working digitally. )

Here's a little challenge: Make this set of skeletons into a picture of your chosing.
    (The numbers are the visible fingers, counting 1 as the thumb.)

Spoiler
    Show

Show me your moves! o/ (Because having characters interact and stretch sensibly is damn hard.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

30. - Top - End - #210

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Needs more solid guns and a ruler for the sword.
    (Suit guys right arm also looks a bit short for this angle. Again, i suggest laying things out with stick figures first and keeping them in a layer below the entire thing. You can affort that luxury when working digitally. )
    Indeed; figuring out how to draw guns/swords is a practise day in and of itself.

I did lay the thing out with stick figures; that particular piece of theory is functional, even if the application is still lacking

Here's a little challenge: Make this set of skeletons into a picture of your chosing.
    (The numbers are the visible fingers, counting 1 as the thumb.)

Spoiler
    Show

Show me your moves! o/ (Because having characters interact and stretch sensibly is damn hard.)
    Challenge accepted!

Also, ohhhhhhhh, that's how you skeleton out a background.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-07-07 at 06:50 PM.