New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [FwM] Recruitment/OOC/Character Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    Yea...its really silly to be honest.....all this wanton unchecked overpowered nonsense >_<.....its unbalanced for regular ponies.
    True. Eh, it's easy enough to tone Smoothie down. She hasn't done a whole lot with her spells yet.

Soft isn't exceedingly powerful unless she goes one winged angel, and if she does that, it'll result in her having to be killed.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2011-06-25 at 11:15 PM.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    The way you phrased it made it sound like any thoughts at all healed it, not that you can kill it by suddenly thinking of bombs or something.
    No. If you thought of bombs it can still heal itself using that thought. But what I mean is that since Smoothie has an almost godly control of her mind, she would probably be able to make her thoughts deadly. The monster itself strips away a part of a thought to heal itself. A thought to a Dream-walker is made up if two parts, the positive and the negative halfs. It strips away the negative half when it wants to use the thought to heal itself, and it does the opposite to use the thought to hurt somepony. Smoothie would be able to make the monster think he stripped away the negative part when Smoothie stripped away the positive part, and when he tried to heal himself with it he would take massive damage. They can't scan others thoughts when they are trying to heal themselves or hurt somepony else.
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

3. - Top - End - #603
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak586 View Post
    Smoothie would be able to make the monster think he stripped away the negative part when Smoothie stripped away the positive part, and when he tried to heal himself with it he would take massive damage. They can't scan others thoughts when they are trying to heal themselves or hurt somepony else.
    I don't see how she would be able to do that. Am I the only one here who isn't quite understanding how this is supposed to work?

4. - Top - End - #604

I don't see how she would be able to do that. Am I the only one here who isn't quite understanding how this is supposed to work?
    Sorry, I thought you had said before the Smoothie was ultra powerful with her mind, and I just have considered her as a psion. The Dream-walker beast will be needed then, but will be just challenging enough.

Now if you will excuse me, my brain wishes to get some sleep.
    Busy with Life

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry, I thought you had said before the Smoothie was ultra powerful with her mind, and I just have considered her as a psion. The Dream-walker beast will be needed then, but will be just challenging enough.
    She is ultra powerful with her mind. You have to be if you're going to break the laws of reality with it. That doesn't mean she has that level of control over her mind and thoughts, or that she would even know how to do that if she did.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ettin in the Playground

I was under the impression that this entire RP was naturally higher powered than normal, and Smoothie is a wizard against 25 mundane warriors who have low will saves.
    Yea...its really silly to be honest.....all this wanton unchecked overpowered nonsense >_<.....its unbalanced for regular ponies.

Yea I know Gwyn's power levels are over 9000 and seemingly immortal....but that's why I decided on the restrictive collar thing (to torment this prideful mare xD) and her slow progression to mortality (the blood) and the eventuality of normal strength levels. She's going to get a real metaphorical kick to who she is whether she likes it or not.

Sorry, if I don't get the D&D reference very well, but yeah, just concerned that it gets out-of-hand at times. I mean now we have an entire army of dark forces planning on curbstomping Bridle Shores. I don't see how we can defeat those unless all of our ponies power levels get cranked up in response. (I would hazard a guess Smoothie, Soft and Zach could probably take them all on, if what I infer from their actions in the RP so far to be true. One has a giant mech, one literally turned an army to mist and one more has super-psionic powers. Yeah.)

Comparatively the other ponies are just really skilled with weapons/devices, (aka Roy and Mach) or have somewhat more mundane powers (Gwyn and Icy.)

EDIT: Don't mean to come off as whining though. Just something that bothered me in recent days. Or maybe I'm just having a bad mood today. Bah.
    Last edited by Grif; 2011-06-26 at 12:23 AM.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    one literally turned an army to mist
    That's the aforementioned going one winged angel. It is very unlikely to ever happen in the actual RP though, because if it does, she will have to be killed.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2011-06-26 at 12:25 AM.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Troll in the Playground

That's the aforementioned going one winged angel. It is very unlikely to ever happen in the actual RP though, because if it does, she will have to be killed.

....so why wasn't she killed when she was hinted to have used it in the past before?

*confuzzled*
    Last edited by Benson; 2011-06-26 at 12:30 AM.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sorry, if I don't get the D&D reference very well, but yeah, just concerned that it gets out-of-hand at times. I mean now we have an entire army of dark forces planning on curbstomping Bridle Shores. I don't see how we can defeat those unless all of our ponies power levels get cranked up in response. (I would hazard a guess Smoothie, Soft and Zach could probably take them all on, if what I infer from their actions in the RP so far to be true. One has a giant mech, one literally turned an army to mist and one more has super-psionic powers. Yeah.)

Comparatively the other ponies are just really skilled with weapons/devices, (aka Roy and Mach) or have somewhat more mundane powers (Gwyn and Icy.)

EDIT: Don't mean to come off as whining though. Just something that bothered me in recent days. Or maybe I'm just having a bad mood today. Bah.
    This is part of why I've been taking the time to flesh out NPCs in town and making them NPCs with PC class levels and kick-ass gear essentially. Rockem Wrench doesn't have that 20-foot wrench just for show after all.

------------------------------------------------------------

How I see the Dark Forces army set-up. Feel free to debate this with me.

The Dark Forces want control of all of Equestria, plain and simple. Their unity as a force is a simple hierarchy of power. If you can take the position, it is yours, if you can't then your life expectancy is increased by following orders. Plots to backstab and murder rivals and obstacles run rampant, and every member knows this. Sometimes a high-ranking individual, like Xykon, breaks off and sets out on their own, but one has to wonder if they are truly as independent as they think....

Leader - Mysterious figure who is pretty much behind everything going wrong with Equestria to some extent or another. While 'it' logically couldn't know about every plan going on, any of its subordinates who thinks he or she is getting away with something without the leader's knowledge is likely in for
    a rude surprise.

Seconds in Command - These two are the administrators. They oversee all the plans the Dark Forces have in motion (that they know of anyway). They are almost never seen on the battlefield anymore, and spend almost all of their time being 'puppetmasters' and manipulating various factions that think they are in control of their own actions. They would likely love to usurp full power, but even they don't know who, or even what, the Leader is.

Generals - These four do some of the same things that the Seconds in Command do, but they also are seen on the battlefield and are the most fearsome foes any pony could face. Any given general is likely a Hero Killer to some extent. A-rank threat easily.

Majors - Each general is served by two Majors who typically command the forces in battle. They are very powerful adversaries and are at least a B-rank threat.

Elite forces - Squads led by Lieutenants, and under the direct command of a higher ranking official. These are the ones sent out when a ranking official wants something done right. Even the Leader has some squads that answer directly to 'it'. Every member is at least a C-rank threat.

Grunts/Mooks/etc - Everything else. Disposable combatants and the bulk of the Dark Forces. Mostly made of D-Rank threats, but could include anything from E to B-Rank depending on circumstances.

Threat Ranks:

F-Rank - Helpless. No threat at all.
    E-Rank - Mild threat. Only about as dangerous as an average civilian.
    D-Rank - Competent combatant. Not something a pony could be expected to defeat without combat training.
    C-Rank - Dangerous combatant. Not something your average soldier could defeat reliably.
    B-Rank - Highly dangerous. Defeating something like this is what makes your average heroes. Sub-Boss/Early Boss status.
    A-Rank - Extremely dangerous. 'You and what army?' is no longer a joke at this point. Big Sub-Boss/Late Boss status.
    A-Rank+ - Army Killers, unofficial ranking. No official is really willing to admit that such dangers even exist at all. End boss status.

------------------------------------------------------

Also, I'm going to try and write a little scene for Zoda and how he probably ended up joining the Dark Forces Army tomorrow. I'll post it in this thread though and not the main one since it has little-to-no plot significance.
    Last edited by Crisis21; 2011-06-26 at 01:38 AM.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

10. - Top - End - #610
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    This is part of why I've been taking the time to flesh out NPCs in town and making them NPCs with PC class levels and kick-ass gear essentially. Rockem Wrench doesn't have that 20-foot wrench just for show after all.

------------------------------------------------------------

How I see the Dark Forces army set-up. Feel free to debate this with me.

The Dark Forces want control of all of Equestria, plain and simple. Their unity as a force is a simple hierarchy of power. If you can take the position, it is yours, if you can't then your life expectancy is increased by following orders. Plots to backstab and murder rivals and obstacles run rampant, and every member knows this. Sometimes a high-ranking individual, like Xykon, breaks off and sets out on their own, but one has to wonder if they are truly as independent as they think....

Leader - Mysterious figure who is pretty much behind everything going wrong with Equestria to some extent or another. While 'it' logically couldn't know about every plan going on, any of its subordinates who thinks he or she is getting away with something without the leader's knowledge is likely in for
    a rude surprise.

Seconds in Command - These two are the administrators. They oversee all the plans the Dark Forces have in motion (that they know of anyway). They are almost never seen on the battlefield anymore, and spend almost all of their time being 'puppetmasters' and manipulating various factions that think they are in control of their own actions. They would likely love to usurp full power, but even they don't know who, or even what, the Leader is.

Generals - These four do some of the same things that the Seconds in Command do, but they also are seen on the battlefield and are the most fearsome foes any pony could face. Any given general is likely a Hero Killer to some extent. A-rank threat easily.

Majors - Each general is served by two Majors who typically command the forces in battle. They are very powerful adversaries and are at least a B-rank threat.

Elite forces - Squads led by Lieutenants, and under the direct command of a higher ranking official. These are the ones sent out when a ranking official wants something done right. Even the Leader has some squads that answer directly to 'it'. Every member is at least a C-rank threat.

Grunts/Mooks/etc - Everything else. Disposable combatants and the bulk of the Dark Forces.

Threat Ranks:

F-Rank - Helpless. No threat at all.
    E-Rank - Mild threat. Only about as dangerous as an average civilian.
    D-Rank - Competent combatant. Not something a pony could be expected to defeat without combat training.
    C-Rank - Dangerous combatant. Not something your average soldier could defeat reliably.
    B-Rank - Highly dangerous. Defeating something like this is what makes your average heroes. Sub-Boss/Early Boss status.
    A-Rank - Extremely dangerous. 'You and what army?' is no longer a joke at this point. Big Sub-Boss/Late Boss status.
    A-Rank+ - Army Killers, unofficial ranking. No official is really willing to admit that such dangers even exist at all. End boss status.

------------------------------------------------------

Also, I'm going to try and write a little scene for Zoda and how he probably ended up joining the Dark Forces Army tomorrow. I'll post it in this thread though and not the main one since it has little-to-no plot significance.

Why not throw some B rank threats among the mooks. Random soldiers who refuse to go up in rank because they want to be on the front lines to do the most damage, or are those insanely strong but absolutely stupid fighters who just refuse to die.

YIM: supersilverdraco Skype: supersilverdraco AIM: supersilverdraco

11. - Top - End - #611
    Firbolg in the Playground

How are corrupted ponies treated in regard to the forces of darkness? Are they considered part of it or pretty much just berserk destroying whatever they consider drove them to madness independently?

If we want, I could bring in one of Mach's former associates for cloak and dagger stab in the dark rogueidness.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

....so why wasn't she killed when she was hinted to have used it in the past before?

*confuzzled*
    Before I say anything else, I'd like to apologize if I'm being unclear.

Everypony around her was too dead to do anything about it, and she regained control before anypony else could come by. If she goes one winged angel again, she's not going to regain control.

The battle was only a battle because some idiot on Celestia's side decided to send an army after a group that had been sent to try and get negotiations going. The guy who did that was put to death, for Celestia does so love planning executions.

Lastly I never stated how big the enemy army was. At least I don't think I did. I never really intended for it to be that big, and I kind of expected other people to boost their own ponies a significant amount as well. In addition, the opposing army were all mooks. I'm sure several ponies in town (Other than Smoothie or Zach or Gwyn) could all kill massive amounts of mundane foot soldiers. According to Crisis's ranking system, she might be able to kill a B level character by herself if she went One winged angel. Might. An A level character is out of the question.

Yes, her small group was killed before she went one winged angel. It was an ambush, and the group spent most of their time trying to just run away. Didn't work out too well.

Lastly, it's also intended as a way to withdraw from the RP if I feel like it's gone too far in a direction that's going to kill any enjoyment of mine while still feeling like I got some form of closure with the character. Hullabaloo has been retired, and I can totally see Smoothie deciding this world is too crapsack and too dangerous for her and deciding to just isolate herself in her plane.

I hope I explained things well enough. As I've said, this is something that probably isn't going to happen, because it will end with her being killed or simply dying, and she will never gain control of the form. Not unless everypony in the RP just becomes that darn powerful. Which may happen if Crisis's ranking system is anything to go by.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2011-06-26 at 01:20 AM.

13. - Top - End - #613

Quote Originally Posted by sildra45 View Post
    Why not throw some B rank threats among the mooks. Random soldiers who refuse to go up in rank because they want to be on the front lines to do the most damage, or are those insanely strong but absolutely stupid fighters who just refuse to die.
    I include the phrase 'at least' for a reason. There are likely B-rank combatants among the mooks in the form of battle junkies and big dumb monsters. This does not make any of them less disposable in the eyes of their superiors though.
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ettin in the Playground

Guess we'll see how it goes. Good to have a handle of the potential power levels of the mooks we're facing.

On the bright side, I could have Shell Shock blowing up ponies left and right without fear.

15. - Top - End - #615

Lastly I never stated how big the enemy army was. At least I don't think I did. I never really intended for it to be that big, and I kind of expected other people to boost their own ponies a significant amount as well. In addition, the opposing army were all mooks. I'm sure several ponies in town (Other than Smoothie or Zach or Gwyn) could all kill massive amounts of mundane foot soldiers. According to Crisis's ranking system, she might be able to kill a B level character by herself if she went One winged angel. Might. An A level character is out of the question.
    Of the protagonist characters introduced, the only one I'd peg as A-Rank is Gwyn, and that's only if Soft sets her spell permissions as high as they can go. The rest fall somewhere in the C to B range. Heck, I'd peg Link from Legend of Zelda as 'B-Rank' at the end of his quests and he regularly solos Ganondorf who is 'A-Rank+'. Ranking system is a guideline, not a strict determiner of who would win in a fight.

Roy and Mike are firmly B-Rank combatants, but they've both lived through facing, and downed, A-Rank threats before. Mostly by a combination of wits, luck, and help from their friends, like any good hero.

Mica, as a combatant, is actually E-Rank, despite the fact that she may be my most powerful character. She's a devout pacifist after all (which reminds me that I really need to post a profile for her soon) and all of her considerable magic is support based.

Eric is B-Rank more-or-less. As an armed combatant, he's C-Rank. With what little eclectic magic he has added in, he hits the border between C and B, and gets to B-Rank only when his Bard skills are taken into account. His ability to solo a B-Ranked threat is also highly conditional. Anything with thick armor is a very bad match for him. His biggest value is as a force multiplier of others and some odd surprises he flings out that opponents tend not to expect.
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

16. - Top - End - #616
    Titan in the Playground

Scarlet ought to be a C, but I'm playing her as a B at least to avoid overshadowing.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

17. - Top - End - #617

Zach is a C-Rank on his own, but in Stazengann he is brought up to a B-Rank.
    Busy with Life

18. - Top - End - #618
    Pixie in the Playground

Simmer was a definitely an A rank threat then. Just took the right method to defeat him. ;)

19. - Top - End - #619
    Titan in the Playground

Simmer was a definitely an A rank threat then. Just took the right method to defeat him. ;)
    I still call foul on the DM there.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Hmmm...

Grills has 3 ranks then. He is C ranked when sleepy. A firm B when well rested or in Blood Riot mode.

As for the third rank... that's secret.

Piping Hot was a low C which is unusual for a combat focused noble. When/If the Followers of Wildfire nobles attack with their armies, field nobles with all be at least B rank. The cowardly ones are D and lower. They rely on trickery and cheating to win.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

21. - Top - End - #621
    Pixie in the Playground

I still call foul on the DM there.
    We could have a time travel trip where Soft get's a second chance?

:P

jk jk

22. - Top - End - #622
    Titan in the Playground

We could have a time travel trip where Soft get's a second chance?

:P

jk jk
    Time travel shenanigans are cheating.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ettin in the Playground

Playing Icy as a borderline low B rank at the moment.

Shell Shock, Tyrol and Lemongrass are solid Cs though, since they don't have magic.
    Last edited by Grif; 2011-06-26 at 02:25 PM.

24. - Top - End - #624

Name: Staccata
    Title: Lady Ghost
    Race: Earth Pony
    Appearance: Dark purple coat with a navy mane that always seems to be moving even when completely still. Oddly enough, she usually has her cutie mark covered with a cloak or black hind-armor.
    Skills: Stealth, manipulative, you don't want to be around when she's wielding a dagger. Beautiful singing voice.
    Biography: Staccata grew up in Ponyville with a large part of her childhood during the Summer. Her home was the perfect combination of too weird to be normal and too backwoods to become famous. Since Celestia was imprisoned, she's tried to make a name for herself by fighting the darkness, diving into forgotten ruins. Usual adventuring stuff.

Her most recent group finally got too greedy for their own good, and she left to pursue solo work. A few robbed nobles and new civic centers founded by a mysterious donor, Staccata became bored again. Information seems to point to something big going on in a po-dunk little town by the name of Bridle Shores.

Personality: Seemingly obsessed with creating a reputation for herself. Outwardly flirty when dealing with Stallions, mostly to play with their minds. Uses cynicism and dark humor to mask her big softie teddy-bear side.

Relationships: Former associate of Mach, happened to come across a few mooks that seem to think Bridle Shores is about to disappear.

Cutie Mark: Always covered, leading to rumors of something evil or even a blank. In reality it's a white songbird.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

25. - Top - End - #625

What if ponies got cool combos? Like Scarlet would envelop Stazengann in a large fireball and his attacks would be more powerful.
    Busy with Life

26. - Top - End - #626
    Titan in the Playground

I'd put Lone Star at... mid-B, i think.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

27. - Top - End - #627
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Playing Icy as a borderline low B rank at the moment.

Shell Shock, Tyrol and Lemongrass are solid Cs though, since they don't have magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    Hmmm...

Grills has 3 ranks then. He is C ranked when sleepy. A firm B when well rested or in Blood Riot mode.

As for the third rank... that's secret.

Piping Hot was a low C which is unusual for a combat focused noble. When/If the Followers of Wildfire nobles attack with their armies, field nobles with all be at least B rank. The cowardly ones are D and lower. They rely on trickery and cheating to win.
    Zach is a C-Rank on his own, but in Stazengann he is brought up to a B-Rank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Scarlet ought to be a C, but I'm playing her as a B at least to avoid overshadowing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Of the protagonist characters introduced, the only one I'd peg as A-Rank is Gwyn, and that's only if Soft sets her spell permissions as high as they can go. The rest fall somewhere in the C to B range. Heck, I'd peg Link from Legend of Zelda as 'B-Rank' at the end of his quests and he regularly solos Ganondorf who is 'A-Rank+'. Ranking system is a guideline, not a strict determiner of who would win in a fight.

Roy and Mike are firmly B-Rank combatants, but they've both lived through facing, and downed, A-Rank threats before. Mostly by a combination of wits, luck, and help from their friends, like any good hero.

Mica, as a combatant, is actually E-Rank, despite the fact that she may be my most powerful character. She's a devout pacifist after all (which reminds me that I really need to post a profile for her soon) and all of her considerable magic is support based.

Eric is B-Rank more-or-less. As an armed combatant, he's C-Rank. With what little eclectic magic he has added in, he hits the border between C and B, and gets to B-Rank only when his Bard skills are taken into account. His ability to solo a B-Ranked threat is also highly conditional. Anything with thick armor is a very bad match for him. His biggest value is as a force multiplier of others and some odd surprises he flings out that opponents tend not to expect.
    Yeah, I don't think I need to be worried about Soft or Smoothie being overpowered after reading this.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    You never did have Lone Star show his stuff yet.

29. - Top - End - #629

Mach and Staccata I'm both aiming for C+, going to B in group combat. Mach would be called a leader in DnD 4th edition, and Staccata needs someone to be a distraction for all those wonderful back-seeking stabs.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

You never did have Lone Star show his stuff yet.
    Lone Star's currently displayed... maybe low C or D. I want to say 'D' but he held his own against Zach, who is supposed to be C.

Lone Star hasn't fought hard yet because he has yet to take any of his fights seriously. Even Simmer - he had no flesh for him to punch.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig