New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

Persona 4 anime comes out in 2-3 months:
    http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2011/...anime-trailer/

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

If that's the trailer I watched last night, they really know what the fandom's looking for in this anime.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nanako singing the Junes song.

More seriously, Atlus must have really gotten more backlash from Trinity Soul than I thought given how closely this seems to be sticking to the game in art style, music, apparent plot...not that I'm complaining, Persona 4 is a perfect basis for an arc-based anime with very few changes, I'm just amazed at how it's-just-like-the-game-but-with-actual-animation the trailers have been, compared to most adaptations.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2011-07-28 at 10:55 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

3. - Top - End - #303
    Banned

New Negima
    Spoiler
    Show
    So now it's fully official, Setsuna doesn't just consider Konoka a friend. She's even willing to admit so.

Also, Eva has apparently been lying about her background. Can anybody really claim to be surprised by that, also she has not too surprisingly got a close connection to the Mage of the Beginning. Even more unsuprisingly, she's a ridiculously overpowered freak.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Negima:

Spoiler
    Show
    First off August 17.... AKKKAAAAMATTTTTTSUUUUU!!!!!!!!!

There's now that I got that off my chest. Yeah I expected things to go down about like that. Eva is definitely the most badass character in a world of badass. With the possible exception of the Mage of the Beginning.

Speaking of which.....neck lift, its looking increasingly likely that Nagi is under that cowl being possessed. Unless its still Zect of course.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Barbarian in the Playground

Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

I finally caught up on all this season's shows that I'm watching. So ...

Blood C Dropped after having watched the first three episodes. I just can't stand the characters, school segments, CLAMP's noodles people, and the fact that even 3 episodes they haven't started the plot. Maybe I'm not giving them enough time, but for now, there's nothing convincing me to keep watching.

Kamisama Dolls This one has been floating around on my scale quite a bit, and is currently sitting at not great but entertaining enough to watch. Premise sounded cool, and then the OP was awesome but the first episode made me think it was going to be ****. Since then the characters have grown on me and we have some interesting mystery elements to keep me engaged, but I still think the plot is going to end up horribad.

Dantalian no Shoka Right now I'll watch this all season just for the atmosphere, voice acting, and sheer style points it has going. After being so disappointed by Gosick, I'm not going to expect any decent mysteries out of 22 minute anime episodes, and the plot seems like its going to stick to book of the week so also nothing there. And the fights are going to all be solved by Biblio ex machina so again, nothing there. But man, Daisuke Ono dramatically reading stuff while Gainax has cool animation sequences? I'm down for that.

No. 6 Noitamina high concept work in a dystopian setting? I'll be there till the bitter end. And so far it looks like it won't be disappointing me like Fractale and [C]. Though I wonder if they truly grasp what it means to only have 11 episodes. Because that's always been the tripping point for these shows, and this one's an adaption to boot.

Usagi Drop Easily the best new show this season. Rin is going to overload my D'aww meter. Though the way they're going to have drama unfold seems like its Google's to be rather predictable. Not that that's ever been a problem for shows with good execution.

Kaiji s2 It's more Kaiji and I really should have waited till it finished to watch it due to its glacial pacing. Nothing much more to say.

Steins;Gate It just gets better and better. Though I do want to go read the VN now because some this just seem like they would have worked better in first person. And man have I fallen in love with Kana Hanazawa's voice.

So anybody else following anything? Any good ones I'm missing out on? Any discussion on what I am watching?
    Last edited by mallorean_thug; 2011-07-30 at 02:03 AM.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    Kamisama Dolls

No. 6

Steins;Gate
    KD I'm missing the latest episode... I was about to drop it because it was just so mediocre but the end of episode 3 kind of kept me hooked... I'll see how 4 turns out.

No 6 has been kind of disappointing for me. It's your average dystopian setting with some more or less subtle shonen-ai... The animation might be nice but really, if the story won't pick up I don't know it I'll make it through.

SG is excellent with very few exceptions. The worst about it is the bad science but I think that might just be me. Even with that it's superior thatn most other series I've ever seen. Gotta love Mamoru Miyano, imo.#

What you are missing... I'm still a BIG fan of Tiger&Bunny. It has a nice idea and a pretty neat execution of it. And it has some real wham episodes lately.
    Blade is... well, if you care for it. I'm not that amazed.
    Also, there's some light hearted stuff. YuruYuri is cute little schoolgirl lesbian humor. Episode 3 was a bit slow but 2 and 4 were golden for me.
    BakaToTest has a second season which is about as good as the old season. I enjoy it.
    Oh, and there's Mawaru Penguindrum. Not amazing so far but entertaining enough, I'd say. Pretty weird... light-hearted PMMM, would be a poor description but the best I can think of right away.
    I feel I'm missing something important... I've really picked up too much stuff... Mayo Chiki! Nothing too amazing. Cross-dresser comedy with varying fanservice but fun enough.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Dwarf in the Playground

What I'd like to find is an anime series or movies that have a minimum of WTF moments and anime cliches, along with being well written. I'd be happy to take any suggestions as to which ones would be good to investigate. I don't need eye candy, heck, the last anime series I bought was Dairugger/Voltron, and that was more for nostalgia than anything else. I want characters I can really get involved with. I recall liking much of Full Metal Alchemist, but didn't like the ending. I recall Trigun getting kinda psychedelic at the end, but I can't remember if I was okay with it or not... It's been awhile.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Dwarf in the Playground

Which full metal alchemist ending? The old one or Brotherhood? If you only saw the old one you could see brotherhood which follows the manga till the end. They have the same story till a point but brotherhood keeps that part of the story shorter.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Banned

And as we all know, old school super robot shows have nothing weird and strange and are by no means a genre exclusive to anime.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kageru View Post
    Which full metal alchemist ending? The old one or Brotherhood? If you only saw the old one you could see brotherhood which follows the manga till the end. They have the same story till a point but brotherhood keeps that part of the story shorter.
    I really don't know the difference. I wish I could say differently. At a guess, it was probably the older one. I was simply annoyed that most of the story felt unfinished and rather depressing.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more precise. I'm a casual anime fan just trying to get back into the swing of things after a long hiatus.

As a side note, I would appreciate it if the sarcastic or insulting commentary cease. My desire is genuine, it's just that I've been burned before. Stupidly, I thought Divergence Eve would get better over time, along with its sequel. I kept thinking there would be some point where I'd fully understand what the heck was going on in the storyline, but that never really happened. That was just one example of getting burned over a bad series.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Dwarf in the Playground

Divergence Eve... the only show I dropped because of the character design.
    Anyway there are two FMA (Full Metal Alchemist) series.
    The older one was made when the manga was unfinished, so they made an anime original ending (or rather anime original second half) (Btw there are two movies which play after the series).
    The new series fma brotherhood was made when the manga was finishing. It's not a continuation of the old one it's a new adaption of the manga which follows it till the end.
    If you liked fma you should probably like fma:b and I think the ending is better.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Brotherhood starts off pretty weak, since it assumes you watched the previous series and a lot of things are rushed through. The differences start to creep in surprisingly early though.

13. - Top - End - #313

@Kato.

Oh I'm not saying KD is good. Right now its not. It is entertainingly bad though.

And No 6 would be a horribly cliche teen book (what is what its based off of) but as an anime I think it comes off as a little bit more unique, just because of how few dystopian settings we get in the medium.

@Jeebers

You're getting insulting commentary because you're coming off as insulting yourself. You think you're saying something along the lines of "Hey guys, I've only watched a few shows and I think I figured out what I like. Recommend stuff like that." When you're coming off as saying something more like this "Hey guys, I've only watched a few shows but I can definitely say that shows, including most of your favorites, that have this poorly defined quality are bad. Oh but I'm selectively defining that and still enjoy a few shows that should qualify."

That said, I still don't know what you mean by "anime WTFery" or why you think cliches are bad, so here's a list of serious and mature anime for serious and mature people such as yourself.

Serial experiments lain
    Haibane renmei
    Texnolyze
    PLANETES
    Monster
    Mushishi
    Kino's Journey
    Last edited by mallorean_thug; 2011-07-31 at 07:14 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Anyone know the state of Blu or Region 1 DVD releases for the old multi-studio anthology collections?

I know that Neo Tokyo and Memories both had releases within the last decade, but for the life of me, I can't find a non-bootleg version of Robot Carnival.

Also, has there been anything like them produced since that wasn't based on an existing IP (like the ones that were put out for Batman and The Matrix)?
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

15. - Top - End - #315

@WampaX

I can't help you with your first question but for your second question you're looking for the Genius Party anthologies.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    @WampaX

I can't help you with your first question but for your second question you're looking for the Genius Party anthologies.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Sadly, after poking around a bit, it looks like this, too, is falling into the category of the others. No love for the anthologies, it seems .
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

17. - Top - End - #317
    Banned

And randomly needing to pick out a show from a very long list none of us felt like looking through, I ended up watching the first nine episodes of Steins;Gate. Not bad at all, even if I'm not going to put in the effort to try and make sense of how the time travel works and just accept it works the way it does. Also, it really surprises me that of all the real world organizations people pick to play cover for mad science, CERN has never been used before. I mean, they dug out a freaking mountain to turn into a lab and they operate on international territory belonging to no country, they're the perfect place to stick mad science if you aren't going invent an organization from scratch.

Although, I won't lie and cover up obvious favoritism and just say that Kurisu is very much my favorite part of the show.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground

I have a question for anyone who might know the answer to it: I've recently started watching a new anime that is showing on Adult Swim, it's called Durarara(Hell, I don't even know how to pronounce that, so convoluted). Has anyone seen the entire thing? How many episodes is it? Does it eventually get to an overarching plot? Right now, it's on I think episode 7, and my general feeling, is that each episode thus far has been to give a small backstory for each of the major players in the anime, and it's very interesting, which is cool, I'm just curious if it does(and when) eventually get to an actual plot-line that's NOT resolved by the end of an episode(or leaves you with questions that don't get answered in the following episode).

19. - Top - End - #319
    Firbolg in the Playground

Durarara is based on a long running light novel, like baccano and it's authored by the same author. And like baccano, it only covers a small part of the whole series.

Durarara got 26 episodes, the latter half will have an overreaching plot that will reach a conclusion, but it won't actually reach a real 'series end' at the end of the run because there are still other novels.

So yeah. I can only bite my nails at the end of the series, because it's ending the series when for me, it's getting to the really awesome part.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

20. - Top - End - #320
    Bugbear in the Playground

Durarara was better when it was episodic. Overarching plot works so-so for it.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Durarara is based on a long running light novel, like baccano and it's authored by the same author. And like baccano, it only covers a small part of the whole series.

Durarara got 26 episodes, the latter half will have an overreaching plot that will reach a conclusion, but it won't actually reach a real 'series end' at the end of the run because there are still other novels.

So yeah. I can only bite my nails at the end of the series, because it's ending the series when for me, it's getting to the really awesome part.
    Awww, well that kind of sucks :-(. Any idea if there is plans to make any more episodes? I'm really enjoying it thus far, will be sad if I end up REAALLY enjoying it, only for it to be ended permanently.

Also, for Manga lovers, has anyone bothered to go to their local Borders bookstores that are closing down? Mine has had it's closing sale for I think 3 1/2 weeks now, and the Manga section is virtually untouched still, kinda surprising. Sadly I don't have the money for it, but I imagine maybe people just don't really realize that Borders has a Manga section ^^

22. - Top - End - #322
    Banned

Most shows tend to end permanently and in general it is a good thing to have a set story you're going to tell and then stop, rather than lurch on like a zombie for ages. While I know the desire to have more of a good thing, stories that don't end ultimately lose their appeal as nothing has any real consequences. In more episodic shows they start running out of unique plots for episodes that can be done with the characters and premise the show has. So I'm all for shows ending permanently at some point or another.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Most shows tend to end permanently and in general it is a good thing to have a set story you're going to tell and then stop, rather than lurch on like a zombie for ages. While I know the desire to have more of a good thing, stories that don't end ultimately lose their appeal as nothing has any real consequences. In more episodic shows they start running out of unique plots for episodes that can be done with the characters and premise the show has. So I'm all for shows ending permanently at some point or another.
    While I can agree with that, according to Fri, Durarara has other books that haven't been adapted into anime, and where they cut the anime off is apparently just where it starts to get really good. So, I can't say I support that kind of decision, to just arbitrarily cut off an anime when there is apparently significant amount of plot(and good plot at that) left.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    While I can agree with that, according to Fri, Durarara has other books that haven't been adapted into anime, and where they cut the anime off is apparently just where it starts to get really good. So, I can't say I support that kind of decision, to just arbitrarily cut off an anime when there is apparently significant amount of plot(and good plot at that) left.
    What if the books aren't finished? This is very common. Anime burns through material at an alarming place, and can overtake the source very quickly - in that case you have to make up an ending or use filler to delay until more comes along.
    And how often do you think they can leave the contracts for completion of the show that open? A long anime is a big investment, which could flop.

Plus, you can just read the source material. Assuming you're Japanese.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-08-09 at 08:11 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    What if the books aren't finished? This is very common. Anime burns through material at an alarming place, and can overtake the source very quickly - in that case you have to make up an ending or use filler to delay until more comes along.
    And how often do you think they can leave the contracts for completion of the show that open? A long anime is a big investment, which could flop.

Plus, you can just read the source material. Assuming you're Japanese.
    hehe, sometimes, I wish I was ^^. I can't even read Japanese though.

Those are good points though, but from the way it sounds, the source material is done with(though I'm just going by what was posted in response to my initial question, I have no idea if it is or not for sure), in which case there is no point in letting the anime stop at the "best" part.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Pondering what new show to watch. Either Tiger and Bunny or Steins;Gate. Sell either of them to me.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    Durarara was better when it was episodic. Overarching plot works so-so for it.
    I'd say it's the other way around. Since I'm watching it on adult swim again, I notice how the first few episodes (all very episodic) aren't as good as I remember the series being. Generally they're 25 minutes of "alright" finishing up with a few minutes of "awesome" at the end.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Banned

First, let me compliment you on outdoing yourself in terms of utterly, utterly horrifying avatars, Tengu.

Secondly, let me begin selling you on Steins;Gate. It is a show about SCIENCE! with Yagami Light's voice actor channeling his talent for insanity towards basically acting like a spark from Girl Genius instead of towards being a megalomaniac. He is surrounded by a moderately large cast of detailed and developed characters, all of whom are decidedly strange but still comprehensible and likable and several of whom are really good depictions of nerds.

There is also the sense of unraveling a complex mystery and dodging the potentially villainous people at its heart that Eden of the East has. The focus on more or less deadbeat urban youths tinkering with great inventions is similar to that show as well, though certainly more fantastic in approach.

Also, it has a character nicknamed Shining Finger, gellified time traveling bananas and one of the funniest Engrish lines ever. And, really, who can resist a show where ordinary physicists manage to lead a world-spanning conspiracy?

29. - Top - End - #329
    Bugbear in the Playground

How's the Sket Dance anime working out for people? I feel like with gag stuff it's always better when its voiced so you can hear their tones and mannerisms. I love the manga, and can't wait for the music festival episodes.

As for Tiger & Bunny, what do you guys think about Maverick's power they revealed in the latest episode. Will it break the series?
    Currently playing a "blind" (Miraluka) sniper in a Star Wars SAGA Edition RP

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Pondering what new show to watch. Either Tiger and Bunny or Steins;Gate. Sell either of them to me.
    As much as I like T&B, as Terra described, Steins;Gate is just superior overall. T&B has his great episodes, too, though. Episode 15 or so comes to mind... but yeah, Steins;Gate is just better if you can ignore the bad science and quite a bit 'because plot says so'.
    T&B has a great premise with super heroes being marketed in a big show and then there is this new Hero, Bunny who gets teamed up with Tiger who basically doens't like the show that much but just wants to help people. There are too more or less overarching plots throughout the show. (minor spoiler)
    Spoiler
    Show

One is the search for the murderer of Bunny's parents, the other is a next/hero who goes around killing people instead of arresting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic Knight View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

As for Tiger & Bunny, what do you guys think about Maverick's power they revealed in the latest episode. Will it break the series?
    Okay, not that it was much of a spoiler but still, it's only half a week old, pal. I don't think it's break the series hard. Seems his victim needs to be kind of helpless so it's not a combat ability or anything.
    Last edited by Kato; 2011-08-11 at 06:39 AM.