New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

I"ve only watched one episode of tiger and bunny, but it looks very amusing and promising. I can't tell you anything you haven't know though, since the first episode only established its premise, which you should already know.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

2. - Top - End - #332
    Dwarf in the Playground

Another thing Steins;Gate has going for it is episode 19. just watched it that was quite intense...

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic Knight View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    As for Tiger & Bunny, what do you guys think about Maverick's power they revealed in the latest episode. Will it break the series?
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's a strong power if the user uses it smart. And bunny seemed quite helpless. It's weird that he didn't use it on Bunnys parents.
    Anyway the power could have a few limitations. Can he use it on two people at once? Otherwise he has a problem once two people notice that he is evil and attack together. And how far can his manipulation go? In bunny's memories he didn't change the events, he only replaced the actors.
    And the false memories break with enough counter evidence, that could be an important factor.
    All in all it's not as broken as complete hypnosis (luckily not competent person had that abtility that would have been a mess.)

3. - Top - End - #333
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic Knight View Post

As for Tiger & Bunny, what do you guys think about Maverick's power they revealed in the latest episode. Will it break the series?
    I don't think so:

Spoiler
    Show
    Firstly, because he's probably going to be dead by the end of the season.

Secondly, because T & B has handled mental powers with the same sort of realism they handle everything else. Maverick needs to concentrate to use his powers, and can only use it on one person at a time, or on people who are incapacitated.

We indirectly saw the same sort of limitation with Jake. It was his idea to fight the heroes one at a time. If he hadn't offered his one-on-one plan, the heroes would have eventually attacked him all at once, hostages or no. And I doubt he'd be able to make the most of his mind-reading powers with 8 NEXTs attacking simultaneously.

All in all, Tiger & Bunny has been pretty good about putting reasonable constraints on super powers.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

New Negima.

That is all.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    New Negima.

That is all.
    This. One million times.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

One Billion Times.

Also: I knew it.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Orc in the Playground

One gazillion times. Also, Fate .

8. - Top - End - #338
    Banned

Yeah, it wasn't too surprising. But it was awesome and I really have to say that I like her more like that.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

I feel like I'm mising out on some epic joke because I'm not following Negima...

On another note, I'm so happy I follow the little gem called Tiger&Bunny. I can't wait for next week
    Spoiler
    Show

Maverick will definitely regret patting Kaede on the head, muahahaha.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Banned

Nope, the chapter was just awesome and that's what people are reacting to.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Orc in the Playground

Negima:

That was... a little fast. Wow, anti-magic used to its full effect really is ridiculously powerful.

Spoiler
    Show
    And then there was the identity. Negi's dad?! Which confused me terribly. Hadn't they just shown some other character to be that person, like, only a few issues before that? Or was that person Nagi had defeated? I'm deeply confused now...
    Assassin avatar by the awesome Elder Tsofu.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I feel like I'm mising out on some epic joke because I'm not following Negima...
    While perhaps not as awesome as Negi-Rakan, and perhaps not as heartwarming as the Negi-Chacharmaru.... it would be a close second behind either in both categories at the same time. Which is truly stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by 0Megabyte View Post
    Negima:

That was... a little fast. Wow, anti-magic used to its full effect really is ridiculously powerful.

Spoiler
    Show
    And then there was the identity. Negi's dad?! Which confused me terribly. Hadn't they just shown some other character to be that person, like, only a few issues before that? Or was that person Nagi had defeated? I'm deeply confused now...
    Well Its been evident to me for awhile that:

Spoiler
    Show
    The Mage of the Begining is a body switcher. When Nagi defeated him 20 years ago he stole Zect's body who we thought died. Confirmed by Fate's flashbacks showing the MotB with different faces. Then Zect!MotB was beaten in Istanbul, but instead less decisively and stole Nagi's body.

So its the same villian in different bodies, now both Big Bad and Nagi. Though evidently Nagi still has some measure of control from talking in this chapter, and of course the intervention in the village where he gave Negi the staff. But conveniently enough that incident has nothing to do with the Cosmo Entelchia.

Now the only big question left is what happened to Arika...

13. - Top - End - #343
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, I just watched a bunch of anime over the summer break (still in the process of doing so), so I was curious if anyone else has watched these particular series:

Eve no Jikan, or "Time of Eve"
    Serial Experiments Lain
    Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    Ano Hana
    Paranoia Agent
    Bokurano (haven't finished yet)
    Haibane Renmei (haven't finished yet)
    Usagi Drop and Hanasaku Iroha(these are new series, so I'm watching them as they update)

If you've seen any of these, what were your thoughts on them?

-Slayer Draco Doll by Recaiden

14. - Top - End - #344
    Banned

Most people here have seen Madoka and from what I can tell the general opinion is the one I have as well, that it's completely awesome. Everything has a purpose and comes together well to build the plot and its themes, leading to excellent pacing and a tight, clear focus. Especially given the thought and effort that went into the individual elements with the witches' barriers being what stands out the most...Next to how badass Homura is.

I haven't seen any of the others, but I'd like to ask you what you thought about Ano Hana since I have heard that it's supposed to be good and have considered watching it.

15. - Top - End - #345

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Most people here have seen Madoka and from what I can tell the general opinion is the one I have as well, that it's completely awesome. Everything has a purpose and comes together well to build the plot and its themes, leading to excellent pacing and a tight, clear focus. Especially given the thought and effort that went into the individual elements with the witches' barriers being what stands out the most...Next to how badass Homura is.

I haven't seen any of the others, but I'd like to ask you what you thought about Ano Hana since I have heard that it's supposed to be good and have considered watching it.
    Madoka was probably one of my favorites from this summer. I can't wait for it to be released State-side.

As far as Ano Hana is concerned... Let's just say that I may have spent most of the last episode crying like a little girl. >.> If you can connect with the characters, then you'll like this series a LOT.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Barbarian in the Playground

Post Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer Draco View Post
    So, I just watched a bunch of anime over the summer break (still in the process of doing so), so I was curious if anyone else has watched these particular series:

Eve no Jikan, or "Time of Eve"
    Serial Experiments Lain
    Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    Ano Hana
    Paranoia Agent
    Bokurano (haven't finished yet)
    Haibane Renmei (haven't finished yet)
    Usagi Drop and Hanasaku Iroha(these are new series, so I'm watching them as they update)

If you've seen any of these, what were your thoughts on them?
    I have seen all of those except Hanasuka Iroha, which after rather tepid reactions to the first half of the show got waitlisted pending further critical opinions after it finishes.

Time of Eve was really quite good and doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves. I watched the compilation movie rather than the OVAs, which I understand had additional content. Not terribly original, but any sci fi that shows proper respect to Asimov gets props.

Serial Experiments Lain is a masterpiece, but as anything that comments on speculative tech developments, ages well as it appears presient but offers far less to the viewer. Still, probably the best ambient OST in anime besides Boogiepop Phantom. And as you've now watched 2 of ABe's works, you should complete the trifecta and watch Texnolyze. Just have a happy pick me up anime afterwards.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica was easily the best show Winter season. Superbly paced and executed, the only thing I even think about complaining about it is the ending it took from Lain and using LOLentropy as an explanation instead of making the Faust allusions more literal. Most fun I've had watching a show as it aired.

If Madoka owned Winter, Ano Hana owned spring, giving noitaminA a much needed boost after critical failure of Fractale and financial failure of Hourou Musuko (which I honestly wish had sold better so it could get a much deserved second season.) Great relatable characters, magical realism executed much better than Key has ever managed (sorry Fuko), the best sense of timing for queuing its great ED I've seen in a while, just about every note was hit perfectly. My only problem was how drawn out and overdramatic the last episode was. I realize that the way they did it works for the Japanese, but it didn't work for k and the scene at the shrine almost felt silly to me. Still a great show.

I used to like Paranoia Agent a lot more, and I really like its overall narrative message and themes, but quite a few of the episodic episodes just flopped for me. While I did enjoy the suicide pact episode and animation studio episode by themselves, those two along with the horrible rumors episode just completely broke the flow the show had going for it up till then because of their disconnect with the overarching plot. Still a must see along with all the rest of Satoshi Kon's work.

Sadly, I really can't say too much about Bokurano without running headfirst into the anime vs manga debate, and I have to side with those that say that the director completely missed the point of the manga and ruined it in his misguided quest to make it less depressing. Oh, and Uninstall is an amazing song, I believe I have at least 4 versions of it on my mp3 player.

Haibane Renmei is my favorite anime of all time and does everything perfectly. That is all.

Usagi Drop is easily the best 1 cour show airing this summer and is a rare example of a show where I'll be happy to see it end without getting through all the content from the manga. The farther away it stays from the manga post time skip the better. And I thought that no anime could nail pastel water colors better than Hourou Musuko. I was wrong.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hey, if I want to watch animes about horror in the line of paranoia agent, what would you guys recommend?

And PMMM is amazing. Honestly, Shaft's psychadelic visual+Yuki Kajiura's music? I don't know what else I could say about PMMM that others haven't say.
    Last edited by Fri; 2011-08-24 at 06:07 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

18. - Top - End - #348

The only one that come to mind off the top of my head is Boogiepop Phantom. Really can't think of much else that's similar.

19. - Top - End - #349

Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    The only one that come to mind off the top of my head is Boogiepop Phantom. Really can't think of much else that's similar.
    Either that, or watch one of Satoshi Kon's movies. I think Perfect Blue could fit under the "horror" title.

Anyway, wanted to bring a few things up with the response you made to mine. First, I do agree that Paranoia Agent hits a bit of a lull towards the middle. From what I've heard, there were a lot of story ideas Kon had that he couldn't really fit into a feature-length film, so he kind of threw them into the anime. While the stories are creative and interesting to watch, I feel that they don't fit in well with the rest of the series. Just thought I'd mention that, if you hadn't heard it before.

And wow. I didn't know Bokurano was so controversial in the anime vs manga debate. A friend of mine recommended the anime, saying that he enjoyed it a lot. Both him and I don't read that much manga, so I had no knowledge of the manga's plot when I started watching. I watched about the first 3 episodes, and I was impressed. It's certainly not your everyday bread and butter mech anime. I forgot about it for a while, though, and haven't watched it recently. I still plan on watching it once I get into the groove of watching anime again.

20. - Top - End - #350

Well, the director of the anime has specifically stated that he really disliked the manga, wanted to change the plot to give it a happier ending, and asked anybody who liked the manga to stop watching the anime:
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...slike-of-manga
    http://blog.goo.ne.jp/moriphy/e/cb2c...edc3d77685dd3e

Not that the anime is horrible, its just very whitewashed compared to the manga.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

So new Negima out. Though not terribly much to talk about since everything more or less happens as one would expect.

I'm trying to find out more about the movie since its out now and found this troubling thing:

Mangaka Akamatsu Ken posted his impression of Mahou Sensei Negima! Anime Final on his twitter. He said the script had been altered from the original scenario and it will be a little bit difficult to comprehend the story because some required explanations of the background were omitted. He asked the fans to remember the following three points before watching the movie:

1. The graduation ceremony will be held on the next day.
    2. Negi has to choose one girl as his formal partner before the temporal contracts expire.
    3. All the classmates other than Negi's formal partner will lose all their memories of magic the next morning.

He added that the battle scenes were well-done and the climax was impressive.

According to Kodansha, the story of Negima Anime Final was changed from what had previously been announced due to the circumstances of the production. Judging from the schedule of the premiere event, the length of the movie was shortened by 20 minutes.
    Source

Because if this is true the I agree with the comments of: SHAAAAFFFTTTT

Seriously I thought we they would have moved beyond such nonsense, it doesn't even match with the other source of Pactios we've seen which have been active for at least more then a decade.

Though apparently in true anime move style this is an alternate ending.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, the movie is the B ending. Manga will have the A ending, which I suspect everyone will treat as canonically stronger.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #353
    Banned

I do wonder...given how many knew about magic before the events of the manga, how does it work that they all forget?

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Exactly, seriously how the heck is somewhat like Chachamaru supposed to "forget magic" when she runs on it. Nevermind the emotional trampling that would incur on her character development. And they can't seriously mean all the classmate because that would mean Eva, which yeah...

This could only begin to be salvaged if its going to consist of a lot of Negi worrying only for all the otherwise magic/ki wielding members to tell him he's an idiot and that won't work on them. Leaving us with easy choices like Makie and so forth that gladly go back to being "normal" girls... Negi can make the obvious choice with impunity.

Or the somewhat more likely fake-out.

25. - Top - End - #355

Well, I just finished Katanagatari and I have to say that it was incredible. Nisio Isin is pretty good writer, and now I'm even more impatient for Kizumonogatari. Taku Iwasak's soundtrack for it is incredible and has firmly planted him in the "immediately download OSTs for anything he does regardless of the quality of the show" category. Though nothing was quite Libera me from hell level here, Bahasu Palus was pretty close. The animation was also incredible and when I went to look up the studio, I was momentarily confused because I had never heard of them. White Fox. Well, it turns out that at this point they only have 3 full length shows to their name, including this season's hit Steins;Gate. I'll definitely have to keep an eye on them from now on.

Redline was pretty much UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ and explosions all the way through with pretty handdrawn animation all the way through. Which is what I was expecting so it turned out pretty good.

Similarly, Hellsing Ultimate 8 was chock full of gore, Nazi vampires, and Wakamoto shouting AMEN!, so it was pretty good as well. For better or worse during the wait for this most recent OVA, I lost my steely resolve and went and read the manga, so there's no longer any surprises. Oh well, just means I can enjoy the animation all the more.

Next up on my list is Working!! and Shinryaku! Ika Masume so that I can watch their respective second seasons as they air this fall. Toward a similar purpose, I mean to finish reading Fate/Stay Night, but you guys know how long I've been attempting that. Besides those three shows, I'll also be starting the season watching both noitaminA shows, Guilty Crown and Un- Go, and Persona 4 the animation. There's a couple other shows that have caught my eye, but 6 shows is more than enough, and I can always pick up more if people say some of them turn out well.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

So Negima continues. I've said it before but seriously Negi and Nanoha are clearly brother and sister. The befriending has come full cycle.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, Everyone Makes Silly Faces chapters. How I missed you!

Also, dat catgun. And Fate seems to channel Kaworu even more than ever.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

So new Negima out and umm.... Chachamaru what exactly are you doing?

And I would like her old body to be fixed too.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Orc in the Playground

...And today concludes Steins;Gate. That was a hell of a run.

On another topic, anyone know a good site that lists what new shows are airing/about to air?

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Chachamaru what exactly are you doing?
    Robots have their needs too! The need to be so moe your veins clog with sugar, for example.

Spoiler
    Show