New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Except of course that it was a series of books first and the nudity was meant to represent Horo not being human or part of civilization. The switch comes as a consequence of her joining human civilization.

Now all the shots of her wagging her tail on the other hand.
    Oh the best service is still plot relevant. Even in print though I hold to my point.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

What if you say beforehand "When one of the protagonists first shows up she's naked, but it never happens again"?
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-09-24 at 01:03 PM.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

*flails about*

BACCANO!

That is all. Seriously. I just watched the first four episodes with friends (we're watching four episodes at a time), and it is going to seriously strain my patience not to skip ahead by watching stuff on Netflix. SO...GOOD. This crazy chaotic madcap...awesomeness...it makes me very happy. It's like Memento on crack with gangsters.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    Well, my brother really really loved Full Metal Alchemists. He watched both Brotherhood and the first series on his own after we watched the first few episodes together.

He's also watched an episode of Chobits(the first one) with me and was laughing throughout it...

Also, we watched the first episode of Pumpkin Scissors together and we both agreed we needed to watch more of it.

But I really want to make it so he doesn't associate anime with breasts and panty shots.
    Just thinking to myself here, but I take it a blindfold isn't an option- because I can think of many series that are awesome for reasons other than fanservice, but which have it anyway (ghost in the shell S.A.C. for example)
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground

Haruhi Movie English Dub is out!

superrainbowexcitedface.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Barbarian in the Playground

I just finished the Fate/Stay Night VN with about 12 hours to spare before Fate/Zero starts airing. Yay. Thats really it. Unless you guys want to talk about what we're following this season.

Spoiler
    Show
    http://randomc.net/2011/09/20/fall-2011-preview/
    http://psgels.blogsome.com/2011/08/1...son-preview-3/
    I believe that I will start by following:
    Guilty Crown
    Un-Go
    Fate/Zero
    Persona 4 the Animation
    Working!!
    Shinryakyu?! Ika Masume

And then maybe pick up the following if first couple episode impressions are good from any of you and the rest of the internet:
    Mirai Nikki
    Gundam AGE
    Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam
    Chihayafuru

7. - Top - End - #397
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just about the only anime I've ever enjoyed was Neon Genesis Evangelion and its related films, remakes, etc.

It's the only anime I can say I really like and I'm a huge fanatic of it :v
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Fate/Zero is about out. Sweet. And the next installment of Carnival Phantasm. I see Saber in a school outfit so color me interested. And the next Unicorn installment, huzzah.

Other then though dang not much caught my eye. Maybe I'll give Gundam AGE the benefit of the doubt and hope its enjoyable in a G Gundam way that totally ignores its metaverse principles but it still a riot.

@mallorean_thug:
    So assuming finished meaning all routes of the VN which was your fave. I always like UBW though its easily the worst written of the three.

9. - Top - End - #399

Yeah finished meaning I got the true end for Heavens Feel this afternoon. Though I still have 7 Tiger Dojos to go back and grab.

Honestly I should probably give it some more time to settle, but as a snap judgement, I'd have to agree and go with UBW. If only because Rin is the best of the main three female leads ( I mean we all know Ilya-chan is the best but she doesn't get a route.) Fate was decent but entirely too straightforward, and overladen with info dumps. Heavens Feel was good but spent entirely too much time on a couple problems and Nasu's philosophy. UBW was a little too focused on the fights and the "twist" about archer but was otherwise very balanced.

Oh and if you hadn't heard Gundam AGE is going to be 4 cours, is written by Level 5 ( the professor Layton studio), will follow several generations worth of protags, and it seems the enemies are aliens. Or maybe I garbled some of that. Either way I'm not sure if that makes you more or less excited.

@Comrade. Was that a cry for help and recommendations on what you should try, or just drive by opinion? Cause we can help with the former.

10. - Top - End - #400

Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    @Comrade. Was that a cry for help and recommendations on what you should try, or just drive by opinion? Cause we can help with the former.
    Nah, that was me just....well, stating my sole favoured anime XD Figured that as long as I enjoy some anime I can post in this thread, or do I have to enjoy anime in general
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly I should probably give it some more time to settle, but as a snap judgement, I'd have to agree and go with UBW. If only because Rin is the best of the main three female leads ( I mean we all know Ilya-chan is the best but she doesn't get a route.) Fate was decent but entirely too straightforward, and overladen with info dumps. Heavens Feel was good but spent entirely too much time on a couple problems and Nasu's philosophy. UBW was a little too focused on the fights and the "twist" about archer but was otherwise very balanced.
    My issue with UBW is that it borrows all its essential building from the Fate route. Which given would amount to quite a retread of material, but I can't escape that it relies too heavily on you having just played the Fate route. Shirou in particular with the whole magically knowing things. The climax of the Grail war itself is easily the weakest leaving it almost like ending fatigue. That said its still really awesome and its Good and True endings are probably the strongest.

Also in both routes Saber unconvincingly (to me) gets shafted given all she overcame in Fate. Like Nasu didn't know what to do with her.

And I think Fate/stay night would not be complete without a total of five routes. Saber, Rin, Sakura, Ilya and Rider. Who is totally set up that way in Heaven's Feel.

Oh and if you hadn't heard Gundam AGE is going to be 4 cours, is written by Level 5 ( the professor Layton studio), will follow several generations worth of protags, and it seems the enemies are aliens. Or maybe I garbled some of that. Either way I'm not sure if that makes you more or less excited.
    I've not looked at it at all except a couple of early promo images people were predictably flame-warring over. Though definitely ignoring everything Gundam if the enemies are aliens.

Cripes does that mean the CHAR will be literally inhumanly skilled?

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Nah, that was me just....well, stating my sole favoured anime XD Figured that as long as I enjoy some anime I can post in this thread, or do I have to enjoy anime in general
    I'm always up for discussing NGE. If you have to pick one series only it at least shows you have some good taste.

Though I suspect plenty here would say "If you like Eva.... watch Madoka!" because it does the same deconstruction Eva did but for the Magical Girl genre.

12. - Top - End - #402

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    I'm always up for discussing NGE. If you have to pick one series only it at least shows you have some good taste.

Though I suspect plenty here would say "If you like Eva.... watch Madoka!" because it does the same deconstruction Eva did but for the Magical Girl genre.
    Yeah...Magical Girl....I'mma have to pass on that :v

I do recognise your avatar, however. I used to be into the manga Negima, quite a long while ago.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah...Magical Girl....I'mma have to pass on that :v

I do recognise your avatar, however. I used to be into the manga Negima, quite a long while ago.
    Madoka is probably the least "magical" Magical Girl series in existence. I'd maybe say go up to episode three or so to get its flavor right.

Its also the only series that has done anything like what NGE did. Though sticking with mecha series I can recomend some pretty good series very heavily influenced by Eva. Then there's RahXephon which is NGE done with a higher budget.

And Negima, how long while ago is long while ago. Post Kyoto-Arc? Mahora Festival? Post Mahora Festival? Somewhere in the Magical World Arc?

14. - Top - End - #404

Hmmm, so this Magical Girl anime (as much as I rather loathe the term :v) carries the whole metaphysical... psychoanalysis... stuff from NGE? :v

I have heard RahXephon mentioned in the same breadth as NGE. Never much looked into it, though. Really, I don't think I've watched an anime besides NGE in...some time :v

As I recall the last time I was really, actually reading Negima was some time after the Mahora Festival. I did periodically check in through the Magical World arc, but my interest had long since waned by then and I wasn't finding the Magical World arc to be enjoyable. My enjoyment of and interest in Negima was always tenuous at best (it took effort to ignore the glaring plot holes and constant...perverted stuff :v).

I can definitely say Nagase Kaede was most definitely my favourite character out of the lot of them, though :v

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't say quite that, more it shares NGE's trademark deconstruction of its genre. Namely portraying the sort of stresses and realities that would face a girl who for little apparent reason is granted magical powers and has to fight monsters. As well as exploring why a young girl would be granted such power. Beyond that is seriously spoiling the series. Which isn't to say there isn't some really deep thinking going on in the series.

And yeah RahXephon is the most Eva of eva clones out there. Though at this point I'm not sure I've seen a mecha series that doesn't show some influence from NGE somewhere. On another note have you considered Gainax's polar opposite series Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

And as an avid reader of Negima I honestly have no idea what you are talking about with plot holes. If you were only periodically checking it then I can only say its too dense a series to just poke periodically like certain other shonen series I could name. Skip thirty chapters and you probably will have no idea what going on. And its far from constantly perverted, consistently yes but not constantly. I think it has even gone five whole chapters without even a panty shot in some places!

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Just to emphasie the point: Any dislike for Magical girls is no reason not to watch Madoka. Really. Go to episode three or four, unless you are really turned of by the art style. But plotwise it only gets really starting then.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Orc in the Playground

Unless you guys want to talk about what we're following this season.

(snippage)

I believe that I will start by following:
    Guilty Crown
    Un-Go
    Fate/Zero
    Persona 4 the Animation
    Working!!
    Shinryakyu?! Ika Masume
    My list is actually quite close to that, in fact. Just move Working!! to a new category called "catch up as soon as I'm done with the first season", and add Mirai Nikki and Kimi to Boku. I'll keep an eye on Tamayura: Hitotose and Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai and probably pick them up later if they're decent. Shana III will have to wait until I'm done with previous seasons, and that's only if I don't get bored of it beforehand (currently up to episode 12 of the first season and the second option is starting to look quite likely). Judging by how full my schedule is going to be, I'd say that won't happen until next spring at the earliest. Gonna be a busy fall...

2h42 minutes left .

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

I know I'll at least start watching the Persona 4 animu and Gear Fighter Dendoh Gundamage. The former looks very promising, with high production values and the trailers staying true to the atmosphere of the game, and the latter seems to be able to tell a compelling story despite having a kiddy art style and being about kids (though most Gundam characters aren't exactly much older than that), so I hope it will be very good and will give all the SRS BSNS Gundamn fans palpitations.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #409
    Troll in the Playground

None of the shows really jump out at me, though I am looking forward to the new Gundam Unicorn OVA. Though wasn't that originally a 4 part series, not 6? Or am I totally off? Also interested in the s-CRY-ed movie.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

20. - Top - End - #410

Well, Soras Teva Gee, take, for instance, the Mahora Festival, the whole martial arts competition--setting aside the reasoning for having a fighting championship at an all girl's school. Honestly, the crowd couldn't tell that basically all the fighters were essentially superhumans? They had people flying and making clones of themselves and demonstrating clearly radically superhuman strength and speed, not to mention blatantly displaying magic (I like how the announcer ponders if it's all CGI...really?) I mean for chrissakes they had a friggin' robot shooting lasers out of its mouth. And nobody in the crowd questioned any of this? Gotta draw a line somewhere...

I enjoyed it when I could ignore things like that, but after a while I just couldn't do that anymore XD Got to a point where just about every other page got nothing but a raised eyebrow and a 'wait...what?' from me. Maybe I was just reading it too seriously.

As far as constantly/consistently perverted, you get my point...after the twentieth time Negi shreds all the clothes off a girl accidentally...hell, sometimes that happens when the character is so much as punched or hit with a small gust of wind. I would have liked Negima at least a little better if Akamatsu had just laid off the panty shots and the 'Negi sneezes, every girl in five miles is suddenly nude' thing.

/end rant.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

Given that Mahora is a place where school clubs build life size T-rex bots for the opening parade a robot in a fighting tournament isn't so bad. The rest of the world has barely any clue Mahora exists, because of the mages. Now what works the industrial strength Weirdness Censor on the Mahora itself... dunno a wizard probably did it. But it is portrayed that way consistently thus isn't a plot hole, because the people there consistently ignore the obvious on hilariously thin premises. Which of course is the point, Negima is not a series that takes itself too seriously.

(Also its at least implied that even a lot of the straights know things weird are going on but without confirmation somehow its either ignore a weird incident or rewrite their worldview.)

And come now Negi only strips girls naked on rare occaisons. Heck last time it happened it was lampshaded with a "wow that hasn't happened in forever" feel to it. And given that its been at least a year and possibly two of chapters...

(Admittedly the most recent chapter, thanks for making this job easier Negi!)

22. - Top - End - #412

True. I suppose I eventually just started taking it a bit too seriously and couldn't
    keep on reading when it clearly is not a manga that is meant to be taken seriously XD Truth be told if it were written a bit more seriously (and again, without any panty shots/magical stripping/any of that, at all :v) I would probably actually enjoy it.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    and the latter seems to be able to tell a compelling story despite having a kiddy art style and being about kids (though most Gundam characters aren't exactly much older than that), so I hope it will be very good and will give all the SRS BSNS Gundamn fans palpitations.
    Has palpitations already- there, job done
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

24. - Top - End - #414

Hmm, new season, maybe I'll pick up some shows to watch after a long anime-hiatus.

Definitely going with Working!! (loved the first season), Shana III (having been waiting for this for at least a couple of years now), and Last Exile (the 2003 series was a masterpiece, hopefully they can replicate that.).
    Oz Bezarius avatar by Kwarkpudding.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Soras Teva Gee, take, for instance, the Mahora Festival, the whole martial arts competition--setting aside the reasoning for having a fighting championship at an all girl's school. Honestly, the crowd couldn't tell that basically all the fighters were essentially superhumans? They had people flying and making clones of themselves and demonstrating clearly radically superhuman strength and speed, not to mention blatantly displaying magic (I like how the announcer ponders if it's all CGI...really?) I mean for chrissakes they had a friggin' robot shooting lasers out of its mouth. And nobody in the crowd questioned any of this? Gotta draw a line somewhere...
    And this is played for laughs, with Chisame basically screaming "How can people be this stupid" for the entire arc.

That said, a lot of the sillier aspects of the series turn out to have serious (and plot-important) explanations later on, including that one.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-10-02 at 07:05 AM.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

Fate/Zero is off to a good start, I think. I like how they took their time (a full hour for the first episode) to establish the characters unlike in, say, the UBW movie where it was all about skipping to the action because they assumed everyone was already familiar with the story. Looking forward to how this develops.
    Last edited by Comet; 2011-10-02 at 08:45 AM.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

27. - Top - End - #417
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    Fate/Zero is off to a good start, I think. I like how they took their time (a full hour for the first episode) to establish the characters unlike in, say, the UBW movie where it was all about skipping to the action because they assumed everyone was already familiar with the story. Looking forward to how this develops.
    Yup, it was really nice. I still have to watch it in HD, though, the Niconico stream was painful to watch at times. Still, I'm glad they did a one hour special to get all the introductory stuff out of the way quickly, having this spread out on two episodes would have been a bit painful for someone who hadn't read the novels. Looking good so far.

In other news, woot, Dog Days second season green lit!

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

It will be interesting I think to see how its handled. I've read the original but the translation was rather lacking in I guess style so I have been very much looking forward to the animation.

A touch worried, the original anime series took way too long to get going. I managed to go watch it not knowing who Saber was so it picked up after that got revealed. Hopefully Zero's higher number of characters will let keep it from dragging.

(And UBW wasn't even a long movie of course it was compressed to just the fanservice fights we showed up for. )

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBlack View Post
    That sound your hearing is me crying out in a state of absolute joy. Tell the neighborhood pets not to be alarmed.
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2011-10-03 at 12:55 AM.

29. - Top - End - #419

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBlack View Post
    Most excellent.
    Oz Bezarius avatar by Kwarkpudding.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Firbolg in the Playground

Finally get around to read all the downtime chapters of negima.

Favourite part of the downtime chapter: Chisame keep referring that how Negi act would get him stabbed one of these days. Heck, she's might be even the one who's going to stab him.

Yes. Finally, someone mention the possibility of that scenario. Don't think harem is all sunshine and rainbow, negi!
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP