New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBlack View Post
    Good news everyone! Now if you excuse me, I'll be in my bunk not thinking of Leonmichelle-sama or anything...

2. - Top - End - #422
    Troll in the Playground

You know who has two thumbs and Trigun: Badlands Rumble on DVD?

*Points thumbs at himself*

This guy. I know what I'm doing tonight.

EDIT: And the verdict is good, 90 minutes of classic Trigun action. Though darn you Funimation, why are you too cheap to get Wolfwood's original VA back for the dub?!
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2011-10-06 at 09:55 PM.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Finally get around to read all the downtime chapters of negima.

Favourite part of the downtime chapter: Chisame keep referring that how Negi act would get him stabbed one of these days. Heck, she's might be even the one who's going to stab him.

Yes. Finally, someone mention the possibility of that scenario. Don't think harem is all sunshine and rainbow, negi!
    Hah but by Chisame saying it we know it will never happen. Because her job is to frustratedly comment on how unrealistic Negima is.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    You know who has two thumbs and Trigun: Badlands Rumble on DVD?

*Points thumbs at himself*

This guy. I know what I'm doing tonight.

EDIT: And the verdict is good, 90 minutes of classic Trigun action. Though darn you Funimation, why are you too cheap to get Wolfwood's original VA back for the dub?!
    Ah...I remember watching that in a theater. It was very amusing...they had it on a DVD, which was terribly obvious, and they screwed up the sound and had to restart it.

Meanwhile all of us anime geeks in the theater were talking amongst ourselves, joking about it, and suggesting that we make our own dub to the film.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

Every day's great at your Junes~

Hard to say whether or not Persona 4 the Animation is going to be any good in the long run, but the first episode was fun.
    Last edited by Comet; 2011-10-07 at 04:43 AM.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

*waits patiently to have 20 minutes of free time to watch P4 The Animation*
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

7. - Top - End - #427
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Ah...I remember watching that in a theater. It was very amusing...they had it on a DVD, which was terribly obvious, and they screwed up the sound and had to restart it.

Meanwhile all of us anime geeks in the theater were talking amongst ourselves, joking about it, and suggesting that we make our own dub to the film.
    I remember the thread you made about it. Unfortunately, that was well before any dates were announced, so time passed and I forgot about it, and by the time I remembered it and looked it up, it was a couple of weeks after the theater showings. To top it all off, it had shown in not one, but two theaters within a short distance from me.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    (And UBW wasn't even a long movie of course it was compressed to just the fanservice fights we showed up for. )
    Of course it wasn't. That would involve everyone wanting to sit down and watch DEEN animation for longer than an hour and a half. DEEN knows that, and just gave the bare minimum attempt. At least it looked better than the anime the whole way through.

On a related note: the first episode of Fate/Zero covered a decent amount of text in that hour. I'm not going to complain, but I've gotta wonder how they plan on stretching the rest of the anime to it's planned 24 episodes.
    Arcueid Avatar by Elder Tsofu.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeson View Post
    Of course it wasn't. That would involve everyone wanting to sit down and watch DEEN animation for longer than an hour and a half. DEEN knows that, and just gave the bare minimum attempt. At least it looked better than the anime the whole way through.

On a related note: the first episode of Fate/Zero covered a decent amount of text in that hour. I'm not going to complain, but I've gotta wonder how they plan on stretching the rest of the anime to it's planned 24 episodes.
    I sat down and watched UBW recently, and noticed something. You really need to watch the movie immediately after seeing the series for two reasons:

1) Otherwise, unless you saw the series/read the novel before and have a very good memory, you will have no idea what the hell is going on.
    2) The animation, by sheer contrast, will look absolutely amazing.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #430

I actually just watched the UBW movie, and having read the VN, I have no idea how those scene transitions were supposed to work.

Confrontations that were supposed to go over several days were compressed into one scene. See most of the scenes with Caster or Rider. The viewer has absolutely no idea how characters get from one place to another. See the opening credit sequence. Hell, a lot of things that happen make absolutely no sense, even knowing how they're supposed to go down. See almost all of the scenes with Caster in them. Honestly a lot of the scenes felt like they were constructed just so we could get an animated version of every single CG from the VN route, whether or not the movie really had time for those CGs or if it had time for them. See Caster's death CG.

Either way, the movie was a complete and total mess. I honestly wouldn't recommend anybody watch it for any reason.

Fate/zero's first episode on the other hand was pretty great. Except for the ring around the rosie with Kirei, which had me laughing out loud.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

Watched the first episode of Persona 4. It stays very close (though not entirely) to the plot of the game, just replacing its initial very long buildup with many "we know this doesn't make much sense right now but we'll explain it later, honest" moments. The visuals and music are very much like the game, which is a good thing because I liked them a lot there. Overall, my reaction is positive. All I wish for is that they develop the main character protagonist, because so far he's the blandest character - that works in a video game where he's supposed to be your avatar, but an animu needs something more. There are signs there's more to his character, though, so I'm hopeful.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeson View Post
    Well there's always the approach of a three episode battle against Cthulu Caster with an entirely gratuitous fourth episode set between the second and third real parts devoted Gil's and Lance's dogfight on the side.

Lot of stuff happens in Zero, every Servant fights at least once without dying and none of them get Worfed off in a side show from my recollection, well except Lancer maybe. Poor Lancer class, always the bridesmaid never the bride.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Well there's always the approach of a three episode battle against Cthulu Caster with an entirely gratuitous fourth episode set between the second and third real parts devoted Gil's and Lance's dogfight on the side.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, it's Cthulhu all right. It's a tentacled "water demon" and "an extradimensional demon god", which defies all classification of supernatural entities in the Nasuverse (which is saying something) and follows different physical laws. It has regenerative abilities and it's summoned by "the R'lyeh text, copied from the original book in the sunken spiraled city".
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-10-07 at 08:50 PM.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

[Persona 4]-Well, that was as faithful an adaptation as I've ever seen. It's nice to see everything done up and animated all fancy-like, but, seeing as I've played the game, there really isn't much to talk about with this series.

I kinda wish they'd gotten new music for the series, but that's only because the P4 music is so good to begin with, I've listened to it a million times.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, it's Cthulhu all right. It's a tentacled "water demon" and "an extradimensional demon god", which defies all classification of supernatural entities in the Nasuverse (which is saying something) and follows different physical laws. It has regenerative abilities and it's summoned by "the R'lyeh text, copied from the original book in the sunken spiraled city".
    I have danced with the Mad Arab in the dead street around the night fires and I tell you:

Spoiler
    Show

That this beast though far beyond the kin of man is but nothing next to Great Cthulu

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I have danced with the Mad Arab in the dead street around the night fires and I tell you:

Spoiler
    Show

That this beast though far beyond the kin of man is but nothing next to Great Cthulu
    It's probably a Star Spawn. Every "Cthulhu" that loses is really just a Star Spawn. They're like squishy Doombots.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of that, episode 2 is out. And Caster was quite suitably creepy.

Though the real stars of this series are Waver and Iskander. Sorry Kiritsugu you are interesting at all, but your emo silence is nothing next to crazy awesome hijinks. You're daughter is somehow even cuter and more loli though, I did not think that was possible.... well done.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of that, episode 2 is out. And Caster was quite suitably creepy.
    Indeed.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #439
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, just going to ask a little (or possibly not so little) question that I've been toying with for a while:

Given total creative control (including the ability to meddle with pre-existing works of fiction), what anime series would you most like to create and why?
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, so help me I don't remember that line from the translation I read of the original so I was wondering if it was a subber joke like the "Chocobos" from Dog Days. Seen if from three different sources though so I gotta say its on the level.

It wouldn't be strictly impossible for them to change certain visual depictions so we may see old squidface yet. Actually kinda hope for that, it would provide fresh material to use in the annual election campaign.

Vote Cthulhu! Why Settle For Lesser Evil?

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

Gundam AGE has started.
    Spoiler
    Show

Well... it's basically a call back to 0079/SEED, or a lot of it is. Except for the very... ... I don't want to say childish but I can't come up with a better word character design. It's a bit off but I can live with it. And the new enemies are Dragons, apparently. Or dragon shaped MS, anyway.
    Apart from that... it's pretty much everything you would expect from the generic first Gundam episode. But it's Gundam so I guess I will watch the whole show whether I love it or hate it.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Gundam AGE has started.
    Spoiler
    Show

Well... it's basically a call back to 0079/SEED, or a lot of it is. Except for the very... ... I don't want to say childish but I can't come up with a better word character design. It's a bit off but I can live with it. And the new enemies are Dragons, apparently. Or dragon shaped MS, anyway.
    Apart from that... it's pretty much everything you would expect from the generic first Gundam episode. But it's Gundam so I guess I will watch the whole show whether I love it or hate it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's already blatantly obvious that the UE aren't aliens though.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Given total creative control (including the ability to meddle with pre-existing works of fiction), what anime series would you most like to create and why?
    I was thinking which of my PbP games would I turn into an anime (after modifying it to fit better into the pacing of a non-interactive story, of course). The one about a crew of mecha pilots travelling through a post-post apocalyptic Earth and trying to make a living, only to accidentally step into the world of international politics as they save the heir to a kingdom recently conquered by another country? The alternate history XIX century where magitech-using aliens attack and win against humanity again and again, with the tables turning only when a group of misfits manages to capture some weird alien mecha? Or perhaps the one about a group of troubled teenagers whose special powers are the only thing that can save Earth from eldritch monsters, many of whom have seen Evangelion and are perfectly aware how that story resembles their situation?

But then I decided I'd just make an anime version of Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer. With Gainax.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It's already blatantly obvious that the UE aren't aliens though.
    Well... I wouldn't say blatantly obvious but I'd say... around 75%. It'd be a nice twist if we were wrong but I don't think it's likely.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    The alternate history XIX century where magitech-using aliens attack and win against humanity again and again, with the tables turning only when a group of misfits manages to capture some weird alien mecha?
    Unlike Tengu, I'd totally do this one. The main group consists of five varied, interesting and dynamic characters who bounce off of each other well and each has their quirks and issues. Of the characters I'm not playing myself I especially like the shell-shocked Spanish engineer who tries to deal with both that and his nerdiness to be presentable and a competent soldier. Although, the extremely perky, cheerful and possibly insane British journalist and the surly Communist boxer who thought he had ended up in a highly idealistic shounen show are funny too, though perhaps not the most dramatic characters around. It has the most offensively British character ever made too, except that he has a split personality too and is generally completely out there. I'll let others talk about my character and impressions of her, since I'd just end up bragging otherwise.

I also really like the 19th century aesthetics full of bearded men and gorgeous period dresses, in addition to all the technology. I also think that the enemies are interesting, how often do you get shows where you get to see a duel between Otto von Bismarck and a female Prussian soldier in a ballgown? The aliens being essentially human came with odd twists far stranger than just typical ancient astronauts or colonists who were forgotten. I can't say what their deal is since there is still much left and we have only just started learning just how eerie the similarities are. I don't really know who I'd get to animate it, but I'd definitely put Yuki Kajiura on composing.

Also, how can anybody resist this group of heroes?

...I'll stop now, before the gushing gets too bad. But, yeah, it's what I'd make an anime version of if I had free creative control and sufficient money.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Okay, just going to ask a little (or possibly not so little) question that I've been toying with for a while:

Since I'm an artist, I have lots of story ideas in my head. But for some reason, the one thing that pops out in my head right now is this one that I read in tvtropes once.

A crew of Abrams Tank got transported into an escaflowne-style fantasy universe with escaflowne style giant robot. In that universe, wars had been reduced into ceremonial stuffs with lots of rules and such using patlabor-level giant robots.

Can the crew survives and get back to their own universe? How do they deal with the complex politic? How do they deal with repairs, fuels, and ammunition? Both giant robots and tanks have their own strength and weakness, can the massively outnumbered tank crew survive using their modern-time wits against magic and enemies that have forgotten the real meaning of war? And when finally the previously ignored-by-their-superior brilliant enemy strategist starts to get a hold in command...

Things like that.
    Last edited by Fri; 2011-10-10 at 07:27 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

27. - Top - End - #447

upwards kick, since I can't find a newer thread.

I just got finished watching madoka from start to finish. I thought it was a really good series.
    Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Blights are halted by the heroic, self-sacrificial actions of a couple of dudes. Throwing them into a land containing the ur-example of the modern pulp fantasy warrior is rather like tossing a sponge in the Pacific and wondering if it'll get wet.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    upwards kick, since I can't find a newer thread.

I just got finished watching madoka from start to finish. I thought it was a really good series.
    ... duuuuuuh. Excuse me, I had to No, really, it's hard to find someone who didn't think it was a good series. But glad you got to enjoy it, too. It's been the highlight of the spring season and will probably be one of the shows of the year, or most appreciated anyway.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yes it is. I'm stil a bit miffed now about how my friends wouldn't believe me that it's good (they did watch it at the end, and thought of it as good, but not because they believed me).
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

30. - Top - End - #450
    Banned

Fri, you do know that you and Kami's words were a pretty big part in convincing me to watch it, right? I was just uncertain and indecisive for a long while.

But, yes, it's quite an amazingly great show. One of my top two shows ever. *Looks at the time* Oh, and it appears to be my appointed, daily time to squee over Homura.