Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 480 of 1503
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tengu_temp's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Yes it is. I'm stil a bit miffed now about how my friends wouldn't believe me that it's good (they did watch it at the end, and thought of it as good, but not because they believed me).
    *Punts* I watched it mostly because it was shown to me. No complaining. Also, I'd like to point out that the "Abrams in another world" idea on TV Tropes was mostly realism grognards going "tanks are totally better than mecha lol". A similar, but much less annoying and preachy idea was created by Cubey, and that's probably what influenced you.

    Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Super Robot Wars Unification - large-scale mecha game, now running, always recruiting!
    Spoiler
    Show





  2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elder Tsofu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In Arts and Crafts.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    I started to watch it to see what all the fuss here was about, then I continued for that reason. But since I watched it a couple of episodes a time I think that I might have missed out on any deeper thought between episodes. It was a good watch though.
    Avatar is trying to give a visual representation of my role in the WW/Mafia game "Typical Werewolf".

  3. - Top - End - #453
    Orc in the Playground
     
    NeonBlack's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    It's sad, but I'm at a 1/4 ratio with my anime watching friends regarding Madoka. One liked it well enough, one thought it was "decent" until the final episode, which he hated for some reason (the closest thing to a justification I got from him was that it was too "girly", whatever that means), and two dropped it after episode 3 (at my specific request, otherwise they would have dropped it earlier) because they didn't like the art style, especially the witches' barriers. I'm in despair .

    And that's still better than my conversion rate with Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, which everyone I know hated with a passion. Then they start talking about how funny this or that sketch in Family Guy was and I start facepalming until someone holds my arm down. Sigh.

    But now I'm having my revenge, since I'm the only one in the group who has read the F/SN novel, and thus I'm the only one who can watch that huge pile of concentrated awesomeness that Fate/Zero is turning out to be without spoiling myself to death. Mwahaha.

  4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elder Tsofu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In Arts and Crafts.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    Quote Originally Posted by NeonBlack View Post
    It's sad, but I'm at a 1/4 ratio with my anime watching friends regarding Madoka. One liked it well enough, one thought it was "decent" until the final episode, which he hated for some reason (the closest thing to a justification I got from him was that it was too "girly", whatever that means), and two dropped it after episode 3 (at my specific request, otherwise they would have dropped it earlier) because they didn't like the art style, especially the witches' barriers. I'm in despair .
    I can see the barriers putting people of, I had a bit of a "huh?!" moment there myself. Then I decided that I liked it.

    Maybe your friend didn't like that type of "happy" endings?

    From your comment I gather that Fate/Zero is something to be watched? I'm a bit in two minds of it since I acquired a fan-translated version of the light-novel and don't know if its better to read that than to see the animé adaption.
    Avatar is trying to give a visual representation of my role in the WW/Mafia game "Typical Werewolf".

  5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tengu_temp's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    NeonBlack: So, one of your friends is a grimdark fan who doesn't like when a show gets a non-depressing ending, two hate cool, strange and imaginative artstyles, and all of them have a terrible sense of humour? My condolences.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2011-10-23 at 01:01 PM.

    Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Super Robot Wars Unification - large-scale mecha game, now running, always recruiting!
    Spoiler
    Show





  6. - Top - End - #456
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Soras Teva Gee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    From your comment I gather that Fate/Zero is something to be watched? I'm a bit in two minds of it since I acquired a fan-translated version of the light-novel and don't know if its better to read that than to see the animé adaption.
    Thus far I am vast preferring the animation to the novels.

  7. - Top - End - #457
    Orc in the Playground
     
    NeonBlack's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    Maybe your friend didn't like that type of "happy" endings?
    Guess so, although if that's the case he could have just said that. Eh, I just can't figure this guy's tastes out sometimes. He loves Azumanga and Haibane Renmei, but then hates everything else that's even remotely slice-of-life-ish. He loves Nodame Cantabile, but hates romance on principle. The last three things he's called good have been Detroit Metal City, Cross Game and Deadman Wonderland. I just can't see a pattern anywhere.

    /rant

    From your comment I gather that Fate/Zero is something to be watched? I'm a bit in two minds of it since I acquired a fan-translated version of the light-novel and don't know if its better to read that than to see the animé adaption.
    It is, yes. Ufotable are giving it all animation-wise where it matters (the fights), although it means pulling budget from other places and leads to some awkward, way too static scenes from time to time, mostly in the first episode. It looks great even when it's not moving, though, and it sounds great too, although Kajiura's soundtrack hasn't been as much of a stand-out as in Madoka so far, or at least I haven't noticed it.

    I read the first fan-translated novel, then stopped when the anime was announced. The translation was a bit weird sometimes, probably because it was based on a Chinese translation of the original Japanese, but it was readable. I'll probably go back to it once the series ends to fish for additional details that the adaptation may miss.

  8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elder Tsofu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In Arts and Crafts.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    I'll start looking around for the animated version then.
    Avatar is trying to give a visual representation of my role in the WW/Mafia game "Typical Werewolf".

  9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tengu_temp's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    Both Persona 4 and Gundam AGE stay good after three episodes - if anything, they keep getting better, especially Persona. I am happy.

    Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Super Robot Wars Unification - large-scale mecha game, now running, always recruiting!
    Spoiler
    Show





  10. - Top - End - #460
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    A Rainy Knight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In the rain.

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    So, having unfortunately exhausted Usagi Drop a few days ago (and, naturally, cried many decidedly un-manly tears), I now find myself looking around for a new series to get hooked on. My thoughts on my current candidates:

    Astarotte's Toy: Based on the first couple of episodes, perhaps a little too much fanservice/loli stuff for my usual tastes... I'll humor it for a little longer, though, just to be sure. It might have just been the whiplash of jumping into it right after the wholesomeness of Usagi Drop.

    SKET Dance: Watched the first episode today, and much fun was had. I'm getting a good feeling about this one.

    The World God Only Knows: I actually watched a fair amount of the first season of this but sort of drifted off midway. Looking back on it, though, it's probably one of my best bets if the rest of this season and the next one are as good as I vaguely recall...

    Ika Musume, Season 2: Loved the first season, loving this one so far. Too bad I have to wait a week between episodes since it's current, though. T_T

    Watching Nichijou and Usagi Drop again: Who am I kidding, I'll probably just end up here.

    Hmm... aside from those, does anyone have any thoughts on Angel Beats!, Samurai Champloo, Clannad, or Death Note? I just realized how much anime is on Netflix, and these are the most interesting-looking ones to me.
    Beautiful avatar of peerless beauty by Kasanip!
    Sigatars by Prime32 and Kasanip/me.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!


    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    Dangit Rainy, why must you be so smart?

  11. - Top - End - #461
    Orc in the Playground
     
    NeonBlack's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    Hmm... aside from those, does anyone have any thoughts on Angel Beats!, Samurai Champloo, Clannad, or Death Note? I just realized how much anime is on Netflix, and these are the most interesting-looking ones to me.
    Haven't watched Samurai Champloo yet, so I'll leave that one to someone else.

    Clannad was mood whiplash done right, and I loved it for that. It started silly, made you care for the characters, and then hit the right string with well-timed drama to make the tears flow. Yeah, it's built to do exactly that on purpose, but it worked, at least for me, even though I knew it was playing with my heartstrings all along. Being beautifully drawn (yay KyoAni) didn't hurt it, either, big-eyed character models aside. After Story is still the better half of the show, though.

    Angel Beats! I haven't finished yet, two episodes to go which I'll probably finish this coming weekend, but so far I'd say it's mood whiplash done wrong. Everything's too rushed, the tone flip-flops between silly and serious constantly (and by "constantly" I mean "several times per episode"), and fails to make you care for most secondary characters before it matters. I think it's hurt by its short length, it probably would have worked much better if it was 26 episodes instead of 13 and had more time to develop the cast and their backstories. Ultimately entertaining, but lots of wasted potential.

    Death Note I absolutely adored when I first saw it, which happened to be exactly at the time when I was starting to get seriously back into anime after a long hiatus. I remember devouring it in only two or three days and enjoying every second of it. But each time I rewatch it I see more flaws in it, and it's kind of lost its magic on me. Still good though, and I'll echo the general consensus that the first two thirds are better than the last. Oh, and Maximum the Hormone are hilarious .


    Oh, and a quick heads-up for anyone still on the fence regarding reading Higurashi and Higurashi Kai: both games are on sale on Mangagamer's website until the 2nd of November, with a 33% discount. Still kind of expensive, especially Kai, but looks like a good chance to grab them if you haven't already.

  12. - Top - End - #462
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kato's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Both Persona 4 and Gundam AGE stay good after three episodes - if anything, they keep getting better, especially Persona. I am happy.
    Really? (concerning AGE, not Persona. I feel not knowing the games I probably wouldn't enjoy the anime) Not saying it's bad but it's not really gotten good to me either... I'm mostly curious what's with the UE and I guess Grubek is a good enough character, except for looking like Jamil twenty years younger. But apart from that... most stuff is pretty bland, Flit didn't grow on me at all yet, and I can hardly get myself to remember half the names. Though, apart from Flit, Grubek and Burzar very little people did anything yet, so yeah...
    I'll still keep watching but... it's only really average to me so far.

  13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tengu_temp's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    The action and pacing are good, Grodek is cool and Flit is a refreshing change from the whining and bitching of your typical Gundam protagonist, and the UEs are very interesting and use the smartest tactics I've seen yet from Gundam enemies. Plus, I really like the mecha designs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    concerning AGE, not Persona. I feel not knowing the games I probably wouldn't enjoy the anime
    Actually, I'd really like to know what someone who hasn't played the game thinks about the P4 anime. I think it was made precisely so people who have no contact with it would still enjoy it, but I might be wrong.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2011-10-26 at 06:42 AM.

    Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Super Robot Wars Unification - large-scale mecha game, now running, always recruiting!
    Spoiler
    Show





  14. - Top - End - #464
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Terraoblivion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Århus, Denmark
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    Angel Beats is basically Wasted Potential: The Anime. Fundamentally speaking the pacing is horrible and at the end the plot starts moving all over the place, with characters suddenly changing core motivation and goals several times an episode. And the last episode is entirely its own can of awful worms. There are lots of nice thoughts and imagery in it and several of the characters could have been good, but it never addresses the questions it raises and doesn't know how to use its time.

    Death Note is a show damn near everyone but me likes, so I guess I should in all honesty recommend it. However, for me L never explaining anything and Light's plans having giant, gaping holes that were never addressed killed it for me. For a show that spends so much time trying to be smart, there are so many stupid parts and parts where the supposedly brilliant protagonists act like complete morons and so on for me to really like it. Also, it gets really stupid after a major event around two-thirds in.

  15. - Top - End - #465
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kato's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    The action and pacing are good, Grodek is cool and Flit is a refreshing change from the whining and bitching of your typical Gundam protagonist, and the UEs are very interesting and use the smartest tactics I've seen yet from Gundam enemies. Plus, I really like the mecha designs.
    Hm... given, Flit is not some whiny kid but he's still pretty bland. He's the average child genius and pilot but maybe I should give him more time. Also, he hit a nerve when he said to Yurin he was glad he could save her though he would have been screwed without her help and I don't think I heard a word of gratitude from his side.
    For the other things... I'd still say they are mostly okay but nothing that blew my mind yet. Also, I wonder what they will be doing with the AGE system as vaguely described as it's abilities are...

    Actually, I'd really like to know what someone who hasn't played the game thinks about the P4 anime. I think it was made precisely so people who have no contact with it would still enjoy it, but I might be wrong.
    Okay, I'll see if I can spare the time and catch up so I can say how it worked for me.

  16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Nerd-o-rama's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In AMERICA!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    Death Note - I enjoyed it the same way I enjoyed Code Geass. Sheer over-the-top stupidity and nonsensical plots played so straight-faced it was hilarious. Code Geass does all of that better, though, albeit with a worse art style.

    Clannad - Not my thing, but as far as I can tell they did a good job adapting an already confusing and mood-whiplashy VN.


    The only thing I'm finding time to watch as it comes out this season is Persona 4 the Animation. I disagree with Tengu that it's meant for people who have never played the game, as at least 50% of the visual and musical aspects of it so far have been HEY REMEMBER THIS PART OF THE GAME, GUYS!?

    That said, it's still a pretty good adaptation (especially for a video game to anime adaptation, which tend to suck) and you're going to understand what's going on except for some of the random jokes like the eyecatch and Yu's pile of paper cranes. It's not, like, the Unlimited Blade Works movie or something.

    The first episode was choppy in having to introduce the setting, premise, and conflict all at once, but now that they've gotten into the meat of the plot (Shadows!) it's far smoother.

    Also they made a good call with how they adapted the Shadow fights to TV. In fact, I'd call that a better way of representing them than the video game, from a storytelling standpoint, though the video game's style is obviously better for its own medium.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2011-10-26 at 08:56 AM.
    Let's Play Super Robot Wars Alpha


    Spoiler
    Show

    Character avatar of Rin is courtesy of Maestro.
    Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Signum Zeichen Nachtgott by Tengu
    SOS Banner by Gorbash Kazdar

    AIM: Nerdorama09

  17. - Top - End - #467
    Orc in the Playground
     
    NeonBlack's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Okay, I'll see if I can spare the time and catch up so I can say how it worked for me.
    Yep, I'll do the same. Well, I did know a little bit about the Persona universe after, of all things, reading a Lucky Star fanfic some time ago, but nothing about P4 in particular. So far I've only seen the first episode and I liked it quite a bit.

  18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tengu_temp's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    The only thing I'm finding time to watch as it comes out this season is Persona 4 the Animation. I disagree with Tengu that it's meant for people who have never played the game, as at least 50% of the visual and musical aspects of it so far have been HEY REMEMBER THIS PART OF THE GAME, GUYS!?
    Except that I, you know, haven't said that. I said "it was made precisely so people who have no contact with it would still enjoy it", as opposed to the way too common adaptation approach of "good luck figuring out anything if you're not already familiar with the source material". Hello, UBW movie!

    Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Super Robot Wars Unification - large-scale mecha game, now running, always recruiting!
    Spoiler
    Show





  19. - Top - End - #469
    Orc in the Playground
     
    mallorean_thug's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    On a variety of topics:

    Persona 4 the Animation: I went into the anime without playing the game but knowing some basic stuff about the premise from the internet, and I found myself not enjoying it. I was never confused, but it felt rushed and badly directed. Normally adaptions like this that want to be anything but fanservice need to feel like their own show. P4 never lets you forget this is an adaption of a video game, between the title (The only reason you're going to put "The Animation" in the title is to remind people they're really just watching a shill for the games) the completely bland protag, the date change animation, the eyecatch, the way scenes are framed, and the way that all the characters interact with each other and the world. This is in complete contrast to say, Steins;Gate, which could easily pass for an original anime. I dropped this after the second episode and borrowed the game from a friend, which definitely feels like the right choice so far.

    P4 is actually the only show I've completely dropped so far this season, which is unusual. I think it has more to do with researching shows more before starting them than the actual quality of the season. Currently I am behind on both Gundam AGE and Chihayafuru, the former because it hasn't really pulled me in, the latter because I keep running out of time to watch it. I am up to date on:

    Fate/Zero: Absolutely glorious. Currently the show I most look forward to watching. I honestly think people should try to have read the Heaven's Feel route first to preserve its dramatic reveals, but if you don't ever plan to read the F/SN VN you can just jump in. Annoying to talk about online though, because there seem to be LN spoilers running everywhere so I've stuck to talking about it with my brothers.

    Mirai Nikki: Surprise of the season. Friends I trusted to be knowledgeable about the topic said it was going to be horrible, based on the short OVA that had been released previously and the fact that Asread was animating it. Instead, 3 episodes in, its the second most entertaining show this season. It knows how to do ridiculous scenes with enough of a wink that you can rest assured they're not taking themselves too seriously, but with a grave enough atmosphere that it doesn't devolve into campy comedy. Also, the seiyuu cast is ridiculously good. And of course, the show has Yuno.

    Guilty Crown: I never really bought into some of the hype surrounding this show like some people *coughscampcough*, but I was really hoping for a well plotted original sci fi show. Instead we have a version of Code Geass that takes itself far too seriously and instead of having CG's biggest asset (Lelouch) we have generic doormat japanese high school MC. I'll still follow this for its entire run if only for supercell and Production I.G. but instead of expecting an entertaining good show, I'll be expecting an entertainingly bad show. End of episode 2 transfer student seems to be telling me I won't be disappointed if I expect that. Oh, also clearly the highest budget show this season by quite a lot, even over Fate/Zero.

    Un-Go: Went onto my list to watch automatically because noitaminA and because I keep hoping that Japan can do a detective show well other than Case Closed. So far, I haven't been disappointed. Solvable logical cases, intriguing main character pair with good chemistry, a secondary cast that has stood out enough for me to actually remember their names after only 2 episodes, and hints of an interesting setting scattered throughout. If this stays at 1 case per episode, I won't be surprised and probably still enjoy it. If it moves toward something slightly more daring, hopefully it won't trip and fall.

    Shinryaku!? Ika Masume and Working'!!: Both are second seasons that offer up more of what the first season was doing, and both are doing so successfully. I doubt either will deviate enough from their formulas to either bring in new fans or drive away old ones.

    @A Rainy Knight: Well, Neon Black has already summed up my feelings on Clannad perfectly, and between his criticisms and terraoblivion's criticism, they also have my opinion on Angel Beats covered.

    Death Note is a completely different can of worms though. I never liked it at all. I watched through it at a friend's insistence, and have been panning it ever since. For me, it was a combination of the stupidity that terraoblivion pans it for, and the way the author handled the character of Light. I mean, first of all, the author never chooses to really develop anybody else, so you'd hope that he'd get Light's character arc right. But he doesn't, and the way he bungled it has given birth to the worst members of my least favorite fan base.


    Oh, and on the previous topic of Madoka, I am proud (and hipster) to say that I was watching it and saying it was going to be great from the first episode (I believe I made the first reference to it in this thread). I mean, it was a project with Shinbo, Yuki Kajiura, Gen Urubuchi, and Ume Aoki working together on a magical girls show. And now I'm reminded that all the bluerays are finally out so I should go about acquiring them, especially with all the animation fixing SHAFT does for blue ray releases.

  20. - Top - End - #470
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Soras Teva Gee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    Fate/Zero: Absolutely glorious. Currently the show I most look forward to watching. I honestly think people should try to have read the Heaven's Feel route first to preserve its dramatic reveals, but if you don't ever plan to read the F/SN VN you can just jump in. Annoying to talk about online though, because there seem to be LN spoilers running everywhere so I've stuck to talking about it with my brothers.
    Well it is kinda a forgone conclusion as anyone you don't see in Fate/Stay Night well....

  21. - Top - End - #471
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Terraoblivion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Århus, Denmark
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    The lead in Persona 4 isn't completely bland. They have him say all the most absurd, irrational lines you could choose in the game...and do so without any hint of emotion. It's really quite hilarious after the first episode.

    And while I do enjoy Fate/Zero, I kinda wish it would do more than just alternate between exposition and fighting. Some more work on developing the characters would be really nice.

  22. - Top - End - #472
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Soras Teva Gee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    Bu-bu-but the Nasuverse only runs on amusing character interaction, awesome fights, and confusing exposition.

    So unless Iskander is in the scene and if they aren't fight what left for it supposed to run on.

  23. - Top - End - #473
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    CarpeGuitarrem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    So...I have seven episodes to go, and Gurren Lagan is definitely the best overtly shounen show I've ever seen, IMO. SO EPIC and yet at the same time very thought-provoking. And I hear it just gets better.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    Hmm... aside from those, does anyone have any thoughts on Angel Beats!, Samurai Champloo, Clannad, or Death Note? I just realized how much anime is on Netflix, and these are the most interesting-looking ones to me.
    Loved Clannad, but it took a while to grow on me. The drama starts as somewhat silly high school drama, and then it starts getting serious at around the first major story arc. And though the characters are pretty strongly trope-typed, there's a wide variety of them, and plenty to get you attached to them.

    And then After Story. Which, as has been mentioned, is a very viciously but well-done mood whiplash. And it serves the story and its theme incredibly well. What I truly love about it, however, is how layered it winds up being. The themes of the story (and everything that has to fall into place for the ending to work to its fullest) are deeply woven into the story, little by little. It might be something you have to watch a few times to appreciate strongly.

    I haven't seen very much of Angel Beats!, but the premise intrigued me.

    Death Note so far has been very deliciously interesting to watch, although I suppose I'm one of those viewers who enjoys going along for the ride, and who'd only really stop to analyze things after the fact. If there were gaping holes in plans, I certainly missed them.
    Ludicrus Gaming | My Steam Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

  24. - Top - End - #474
    Orc in the Playground
     
    mallorean_thug's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Well it is kinda a forgone conclusion as anyone you don't see in Fate/Stay Night well....
    Yes, but that doesn't mean I need to be spoiled on the details of the ride. For the fights to be awesome, I don't want to already know who Berserker is, or what Rider can do with his chariot, or what the hell Caster is going to summon. I want to be just as surprised as Saber when another servant pulls extra Noble Phantasms out.


    On a different note you and others in this thread might be interested in, the Umineko fighting game for PC just got a patch that added Jessica in. And her Meta Super is Master Spark.

  25. - Top - End - #475
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Terraoblivion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Århus, Denmark
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    As much as Marisa steals, she sure gets her trademark attack poached a lot too...

  26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AtlanteanTroll's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oberlin College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    Does this count as a general manga discussion as well?
    My art thread! Updated 6/27! C&C Appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

  27. - Top - End - #477
    Troll in the Playground
     
    SlyGuyMcFly's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The cyberpunk present
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    Hmm... aside from those, does anyone have any thoughts on Angel Beats!, Samurai Champloo, Clannad, or Death Note? I just realized how much anime is on Netflix, and these are the most interesting-looking ones to me.
    Since no one has spoken up for Champloo, I guess I will. It's by the same chap who did Cowboy Bebop (I assume you've seen it because if you haven't GO SEE IT THIS INSTANT) and shares alot of similarities in overall themes and structure. Basically, it's about the adventures of a trio of travellers through not-entirely-historically-accurate 19th century Japan.
    On the surface it looks like Bebop replacing the jazz space cowboys with rapping samurai, but it feels quite different while keeping that hard-to-describe style that makes Bebop so good. The animation is great (the fight scenes are gorgeous), the musical score is excellent, but where it really shines is in the characterisation for the three protagonists. Deep, complex, flawed and well thought-out.
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2011-10-26 at 07:12 PM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

  28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tengu_temp's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Does this count as a general manga discussion as well?
    Negima discussion tends to appear here often, so probably.

    Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Super Robot Wars Unification - large-scale mecha game, now running, always recruiting!
    Spoiler
    Show





  29. - Top - End - #479
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Soras Teva Gee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    Though we haven't discuss Negi and co recently (probably because I got tired of kicking it off...)

  30. - Top - End - #480
    Orc in the Playground
     
    mallorean_thug's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

    Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    As much as Marisa steals, she sure gets her trademark attack poached a lot too...
    Except that given that Jessica cosplays as Marisa, its strangely appropriate.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1E2DsxvyCQ

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •