New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    I would say Fate is superior to Tsukihime. While it sounds like you were going to read the VN first anyway, I'm still going to bring up the adaptations (FSN's 3 routes are Fate, Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel in order):
    The anime is mostly based on the Fate route with some added scenes, some of which are inspired by ones from the other routes. It's good, but not as good as the VN.
    The manga goes a similar route, but with different added scenes. And IIRC it was never finished.
    The movie is a set of scenes from Unlimited Blade Works with little tying them together; it assumes you know the plot already.

Ignore Fate/zero for now - it has way too many spoilers for all three routes.
    Hum. How much material does the VN offer that the other media misses? Clannad seems to work out just fine without the VN as the anime pretty much covers the key points of all the arcs (with the alternate worlds for Kyou and Tomoyo) but Tsukihime without the VN would mean missing about 80% of the content since each path has massive differences even reaching the actual characters.

Oh, and don't forget the Melty Blood games, which are set after Kagetsu Tohya.
    Yeah, I've actually played through the story modes.

I have no idea what to say about Kara no Kyoukai - the original work is impossible to find, but the movies are interesting and well-animated. I hear a lot of stuff is cut, but familiarity with Tsukihime helps to clear things up a bit. Note that Kara no Kyoukai is officially in an alternate universe to the rest of Type-Moon's works, but all this seems to mean is that vampires don't exist.
    Hum. Well, I'm intrigued.

EDIT:
    Re: FMA, Brotherhood is basically a direct adaptation of the manga, but it adds a new first episode and compresses things that were covered by the first anime. I feel the first anime was better put-together in general, so I'd go for the manga.

Other big titles: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Puella Magi Madoka Magica... (watching these at the same time probably isn't a good idea)
    Code Geass is often compared to Death Note, and, well, it's interesting to do so. As in, I could see "compare and contrast the characters of Light Yagami and Lelouch Lamperouge" as a question on an English paper if they were classical novels.
    Oh yeah, I've heard enough of TTGL to watch it just for the prepostery's sake. Given my brain is kind of a mess from watching those 3 quite different, heavily emotionally loaded stories with some quite complex worlds behind the story tho (especially since I watched Clannad without playing the VN; piecing the ending together was a chore) I'll probably hold out on that for a while.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Hum. How much material does the VN offer that the other media misses? Clannad seems to work out just fine without the VN as the anime pretty much covers the key points of all the arcs (with the alternate worlds for Kyou and Tomoyo) but Tsukihime without the VN would mean missing about 80% of the content since each path has massive differences even reaching the actual characters.
    FSN's routes split much earlier, rely heavily on information from earlier routes (Fate introduces the setting, UBW uses it, HF upturns it), and the unique content in each is about the size of Tsukihime.

So a lot.

EDIT: Play the Réalta Nua version if you can.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-12-14 at 09:50 PM.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

One thing I don't think Prime 32 mentioned is don't bother with the Haruhi manga(s). You want the Light Novels if you're looking for the full/original story, and I believe the first three or four have been officially localized to the US.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

4. - Top - End - #544
    Orc in the Playground

More like six, and the seventh should be close if it isn't out already. I remember they were only one month or two behind the Spanish translations, and we got Intrigues in late October/early November.

Anyway, @Eldariel: if you only watched Haruhi's first season, continue with the second with the usual caveat about skipping (most of) Endless Eight (episodes 2-9) if you don't feel like going through it. It's not as good as the first season anyway, but it sets up the absolutely wonderful movie, which you must watch, no questions asked.

On Clannad the VN: I started it after loving the anime to bits, and I'm about one third through it. It's good, long, funny and sad (no surprises here), and adds some new little tidbits here and there in the different routes (the twins' routes are much expanded and improved, for example), plus a whole new route and character (Kappei). It has its share of problems, too: it's long, one of the longest VNs ever made by sheer size, and can be a bit overwhelming. The route selection via decisions can be terribly confusing, and that's a problem when the order in which you complete them can make you skip whole scenes, or forcing you to replay them to get to the "good" ending. The decision tree looks like a terrifying eldritch thing from beyond space and time. Lots of common ground between routes, too, but that's what the skip function is for. If all that doesn't scare you off, then you'll enjoy yourself, but don't be ashamed to bring a map (read: walkthrough) with you.

On Kara no Kyoukai: it happens to be one of my favourite animated things of all time, so yes, watch it. As far as I know, the cuts happen mostly in the sixth movie, which is the least plot-relevant one anyway. I've started reading an unofficial translation of the novels I came across (quite good, by the way) and the second movie, for example, is almost verbatim from the original, while the first actually expands on it. There's also a manga ongoing, but I didn't like it on a first read, so I won't recommend it.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Banned

Actually, it's only five. Rampage was the most recent one released in English and it will take until late March for the next one to be out in translated form. In any case, what matters is that the Haruhi manga is an adaption and not that great of one at that, though better than the original Haruhi manga.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Actually, it's only five. Rampage was the most recent one released in English and it will take until late March for the next one to be out in translated form. In any case, what matters is that the Haruhi manga is an adaption and not that great of one at that, though better than the original Haruhi manga.
    Eh, no, Wavering is out already. Only since one month ago, though. Looks like I was a bit off with my estimate. Anyway, yeah, light novels > manga >>> old manga, for sure. The only advantage the manga may have is being slightly ahead storywise in the translation department, but not by much if at all.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    All of 3-A knows though what they know in particular doesn't seem to have been addressed directly.

And Mahora still doesn't if you look very closely you'll see a "isn't it CG" handwave again.

Also ultimate showdown Negi vs Class 3-A place your bets. I don't think its even a contest personally.
    Yeah, especially after he got hit by those antimagic bullets. Talk about a pactio backstab...

Or were you saying that Negi would win?
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Inequality isn't evil. Equality is.

Sorry, the title inspired me.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Orc in the Playground

Since we were talking Nasuverse a few posts ago, and since visual novel stuff usually goes here anyway: Mahou Tsukai no Yoru, aka Mahoyo, aka Witch on the Holy Night, that new TypeMoon VN about Aoko Aozaki that has been almost-but-not-quite-done for a while already, finally has a set release date: April 12th, 2012. Oh, and the opening is out, too. I wonder what will come first: an English translation patch, or me learning enough Japanese to play the original version. Betting on the second.

And while we're on the subject, the full version of Katawa Shoujo will finally be released in, like, two weeks and a half. "Work" keeps piling up .

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBlack View Post
    Since we were talking Nasuverse a few posts ago, and since visual novel stuff usually goes here anyway: Mahou Tsukai no Yoru, aka Mahoyo, aka Witch on the Holy Night, that new TypeMoon VN about Aoko Aozaki that has been almost-but-not-quite-done for a while already, finally has a set release date: April 12th, 2012. Oh, and the opening is out, too. I wonder what will come first: an English translation patch, or me learning enough Japanese to play the original version. Betting on the second.

And while we're on the subject, the full version of Katawa Shoujo will finally be released in, like, two weeks and a half. "Work" keeps piling up .
    Egads it has a release date what's next See-chan having a route?

I'd agree that it would be quicker to simply learn Japanese though to actually play it.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

Hehe, I saw that they finally set a new date (which is comfortably far away too) and that they apparently hands out a demo-disk of it with a magazine. But I feel slightly sceptical regardless, I won't believe that it is released before Celga confirms that it is in their storage for me.

I like the soundtrack and trailer, I hope it will continue to impress. ^^

12. - Top - End - #552
    Colossus in the Playground

FSN's routes split much earlier, rely heavily on information from earlier routes (Fate introduces the setting, UBW uses it, HF upturns it), and the unique content in each is about the size of Tsukihime.

So a lot.

EDIT: Play the Réalta Nua version if you can.
    Alright, so I suppose I should just start off with the VN then. Lots more to go through but then again, complaining about the amount of content to enjoy seems kind of silly. Even if I want to go through things quite fast due to the number of things to go through.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    One thing I don't think Prime 32 mentioned is don't bother with the Haruhi manga(s). You want the Light Novels if you're looking for the full/original story, and I believe the first three or four have been officially localized to the US.
    Huh, thanks. I wasn't actually aware that it was based on the LNs.

Anyway, @Eldariel: if you only watched Haruhi's first season...*snip*
    Doing this as we speak. Given the 2-9 seem to be the same as in the 2006 release and I've already seen them, I suppose there's little damage in skipping them.

On Clannad the VN:*snip*
    Yeah, the reason I originally skipped it is that to me, Kagetsu Tohya has an imposing game length. And I understand it's nothing compared to Clannad. Plus I read the anime did an unusually good job of covering the various routes and connecting them to the main story. So I'm thinking the VN will be something to put on the backburner and start when I'm done with...everything I intend to watch/play/read (seriously, this is stumping me - what word should one use when referring to multiple types of media all experienced differently?).

On Kara no Kyoukai: it happens to be one of my favourite animated things of all time, so yes, watch it.
    Alright, I'll give it a whirl.

This is relevant to my interests. Now I might have the motivation to start studying Japanese again Now just to wonder when the planned Tsukihime remake (Sacchin route?) might become a thing. Then again, it being Type-Moon and all I guess I shouldn't hold my breath any time soon.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Doing this as we speak. Given the 2-9 seem to be the same as in the 2006 release and I've already seen them, I suppose there's little damage in skipping them.
    Oh, oops, looks like I might have misled you somewhat. I was talking about the new episodes when I said to skip 2 to 9. If you're watching the whole 2009 version with both new and old episodes mixed together, episode 8 is new (and probably the most important of the new ones), so don't skip it. Endless Eight happens between episodes 12 and 19. I'd link to the Wikipedia article with the whole chapter order thing, but you know, spoilers.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

Endless Eight happens between episodes 12 and 19.
    Watch eps 12, 19, and one of the intervening episodes.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Troll in the Playground

I was gonna open up a thread in Friendly Banter to ask about this but then realized it would probably better fit here.

I'm looking for advice on gundam/mech model kits now that I've time free from school. Specifically are there any sites in particular that the playground would recommend buying gundam/mech model kits from? I've always enjoyed putting these things together though due to budget I've stuck with the 1/144th scale kits. I might consider looking into one of the more complicated builds if it can be found for the right price however.

In terms of what gundams/mechs I might specifically be looking for I've always liked the Heavyarms gundams though that type seems to be sold out/to expensive no matter where I look. Any other interesting dakka heavy mechs out there? I'd probably be interested in a Gurren Lagann model kit as well just because its Gurren freaking Lagann.

Also I'm curious as to what other peoples favorite gundams/mechs are.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Bugbear in the Playground

This seems like the place to ask this, is Bleach any good? Specifically the anime, as someone who never watches Shonen, and in general only watches Anime that are two seasons or shorter.

The anime I've seen and enjoyed: All of Gainax's stuff
    Cowboy Bebop
    Angel Beats
    Paranoia Agent
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

17. - Top - End - #557
    Firbolg in the Playground

No it's not, especially the anime, and especially from what anime you've watched. From the current big three (one piece, naruto, and bleach) bleach is by far the weakest in my opinion, in both art (really? white background? and most attacks are just speed lines?) and story.

And that doubles on the anime, with the fillers and everything. I guess you don't know anything about cheap hundreds-episode shonen anime? here's the thing, most of them sucks, since they're pressed to make a new episode every week as cheap as possible, and sometimes they overrun the manga story that's not been finished yet, so they must put fillers in it. I love one piece for example, but I won't want to watch the anime.

That's been said, I still read it, if simply from the inertia/momentum (since I've been reading whole forty books of it). It's a shame, really. The early volumes have so much potential.

If you're interested on the premise/want to know about it, you could do better by just reading the manga, and decides whether you want to see it animated after reading them.
    Last edited by Fri; 2011-12-18 at 07:57 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say that the first Arc(around episode 63 in the anime) was pretty good. After that, though, I can't honestly suggest you read it.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

19. - Top - End - #559
    Orc in the Playground

No idea about Bleach, but I've been told repeatedly that the only good part is the first arc, and that right now it's less shounen action and more "Nothing Happens - The Anime". Then again, it's always the most popular series cosplay-wise in every anime convention around here, so eh. Second hand information, take it for what it is.

(and after previewing it seems that I've been double-ninja'd saying exactly that, ha)

Back to VNs, since it seems that good news have been waiting to come all together: Umineko's final English patch is out. And now I have no excuse to keep procastrinating. Damn. Guess I'll pick EP3 back up and see if I manage to complete the whole thing during the holidays.
    Last edited by NeonBlack; 2011-12-18 at 08:03 AM.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

No, the second arc of Bleach is quite awesome if you have a tolerance for glorified Tournament Arcs à la Jojos Bizarre Adventure or Naruto's Chuunin Exams. There's a lot of posing, but it's awesome posing.

Anime of the year: Madoka, Tiger and Bunny. I recommend the latter for wonderful heartwarming entertainment, the former for memorability.

So thank you. And then again, thank you.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    Anime of the year: Madoka, Tiger and Bunny. I recommend the latter for wonderful heartwarming entertainment, the former for memorability.
    Squeeeee, a T&B fan! I felt like that show was terribly overlooked... I enjoyed it a lot.

But the year had quite a share of great stuff... Many people loved PMMM, and I guess it was pretty nice. I'm not the artistic type but it was neat.
    T&B and Stein;s Gate which ran at the same time were both pretty good overall, though in S;G the bad science sometimes pissed me off the characters and everything else was so lovely... and T&B was just a nice series. period.
    Mawaru Penguindrum is still running (I think) but it is pretty good if you don't mind weird, crazy hijinks and a story about as confusing as it can get.
    Also, I need to catch up with Horizon...

Just seen the last episode (of the first season?) of C³ and I have to say I'm pretty happy with that. It was... just pretty nice comedy/action... I won't go into detail but of anyone gives it a try... don't stop at episode one. Watch the first two, at least. Heck, I'm already spoiling by saying that.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Banned

Yeah, stay away from Bleach, Dumbledore. I'd extend the same to Naruto, to be honest. In general long running shounen is very risky to get involved with, whether in anime or manga form, though it tends to be worse in the former. There are some that are good, but chances of running into something bad are pretty high.

And to the comment about anime of the year, this year has indeed been quite great. Madoka is the true standout of what I've seen and one of my two favorite shows of all time, except for some minor pacing issues around the middle it's just pretty much perfect. I especially like the music and have to admit to a...slight amount of fangirling over Homura.

Beyond that I've seen Steins;Gate, Ano Hana and are following Persona 4 and Fate/Zero while trying to go through Nichijou when I have the time and they're all good.

Especially Steins;Gate, which is another of my favorites though not quite on the level of Madoka. Cool characters, cool opening, interesting and engaging plot and an interesting use of color, what's not to like? Really, it's a show that I'd highly recommend everyone.

And I guess that I should stop ignoring Tiger and Bunny and try watching it sometimes. When I have the time, which most likely means no earlier than mid-January.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledore lives View Post
    This seems like the place to ask this, is Bleach any good? Specifically the anime, as someone who never watches Shonen, and in general only watches Anime that are two seasons or shorter.

The anime I've seen and enjoyed: All of Gainax's stuff
    Cowboy Bebop
    Angel Beats
    Paranoia Agent
    It looks like you like good anime, so I'd stay away from Bleach. If you want to get into Perpetual Shonen, I hear One Piece is one of, if not the best of them.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

24. - Top - End - #564
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

The One Piece anime is fairly crappy, and full of filler, and slow-paced. The manga is very good, but only grows the beard a couple hundred chapters in, with the Water Seven arc. The Alabasta Arc is the earliest point where OP becomes truly interesting.

Expect a lot of a very special brand of stupidity. It's very entertaining to watch, I promise.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

Back to VNs, since it seems that good news have been waiting to come all together: Umineko's final English patch is out. And now I have no excuse to keep procastrinating. Damn. Guess I'll pick EP3 back up and see if I manage to complete the whole thing during the holidays.
    Great news! I was just about to select my next VN and you come with these happy tidings for me.
    I've had to wait for almost a year, seriously. :-P

26. - Top - End - #566
    Barbarian in the Playground

And the translation for Little Busters also just came out today. And the release date for Type-Moon's next VN has been announced with a demo out. And as previously mentioned Kawato Shoujo has a release date. Man its been a good week for VNs.

That said, this year's best anime for me are very clearly:
    1. Mawaru Penguindrum
    2. Puella Magic Madoka Magica
    3. Usagi Drop
    4. Steins;Gate
    5. Working'!!

With honorable mentions to Hourou Musuko, Tiger and Bunny, Kaiji S2, Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai, Level E and Un-Go. (Fate/Zero will go into the running for next year.) A pretty good year if I do say so myself.

Only truly disapointing thing this year was Noitamina (Finally stooped to using high school male protagonists in magical situations with magical waifus, and failed every time eg. Fractale, [C] (don't care if he was actually in college, might as well have been in high school), No. 6 (Magical husbandos count too), Guilty Crown.) And now we have Black Rock Shooter in the time slot next season. What have you come to Noitamina?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

2011 anime I watched and like:
    Madoka
    Steins;Gate
    Persona 4
    Gundam AGE

2011 anime I plan to watch:
    Tiger & Bunny
    Level E

I remember that in the middle of the year I bitched that anime lately is not as good as it used to be a few years ago. Good to see I was wrong.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #568
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Level E is simply amazing... but it requires stomach...

29. - Top - End - #569
    Barbarian in the Playground

Generally people just forget how many good shows have aired recently. Because the last couple years definitely haven't been bad.

2010:
    Angel Beats!
    Disapearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Katanagatari
    Gundam Unicorn
    Nodame Cantabile Finale
    Kuragahime
    The Secret World of Arietty
    Shiki
    Sora No Woto
    Ika Masume
    The Tatami Galaxy
    Trigun Badlands Rumble
    Welcome to the Space Show
    Working'!!

2009:
    Aoi Hana
    Bakemonogatari
    Birdy the Mighty Decode
    Cencoroll
    Clannad Afterstory
    Eden of the East
    Eureka 7
    Evangelion 2.0 You can (not) advance
    Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
    Haruhi S2
    Kara no Kyoukai
    Redline
    Zan Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei
    Spice and Wolf S2
    Summer Wars
    Time of Eve
    Toradora
    Kucho Buranko

And thats just shows that I've seen and enjoyed and Wikipedia tells me are from those years. I'm sure there's plenty of good stuff that I haven't seen and plenty of stuff that I didn't like but other people here did. I mean, there's only a couple other years that can compete with the last couple for the sheer number of enjoyable shows I've seen.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Banned

This reminds me that I need to watch Aoi Hana. I have to, then my seeking out all the big name yuri will be more or less complete and I can start hunting lesser known works instead.