New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343550 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    Luke, I am A CHAR?
    That's silly. Someone else is already a Char.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBlack View Post
    Negima news: Wait, what?!

I mean, okay, considering these three chapters will come right after the end of volume 37 they're bound to be extra-long to fill volume 38, but still. So many plot points hanging, even after the events in ch.351.
    Well, that will end faster than expected. I know I will miss this manga.
    Also, ugh, double-length research break! *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    I felt the urge to watch Dragonball again recently.

Spoiler
    Show
    I can't help but observe that the announcer guy for the Tenkaichi tournament is tremendously unprofessional.

• Oftentimes he has to be prompted by the fighters themselves to start the countdown for a K.O.'ed opponent.
    • When he doesn't, he takes so long to get started on the countdown that an actual ref would've done it three times by then.
    • When said countdowns occur, he lets his countdowns get interrupted, or even just plain stops counting sometimes.
    • Dude, if one of the fighters busts out a knife and starts trying to kill his opponent, don't just say he's disqualified; make some effort to stop the freakin' match.
    • Likewise, if a person in the audience starts firing off a gun indiscriminately, try to have that person removed. Yes, even if she's a supporting character.
    • If a person in the audience starts threatening to kill someone to deter one of the fighters, that is grounds to stop the fight.
    • If a fighter is using the threat of murdering the entire audience as a tactic against the other fighter, then he should be disqualified. For that matter, murdering the audience should be against the rules; the lack of such seems to be an oversight.
    • Y'know what? If it's against the rules for the fighters to kill each other, then you should probably disqualify the guys who openly talk about their intent on murdering the other person in the ring.
    • Likewise, if leaving the arena disqualifies you, then you should probably disqualify the people who take flight; that sort of thing seems totally against the spirit of a martial arts tournament.
    • If the fighters are literally moving so fast that they cannot be seen, then stopping the match is probably warranted; having the fighters then re-enact their bout in slow motion, however, is not.

I dunno; it seems like I've got a lot of gripes for something that's supposed to be a gag anime, but those tournaments are among the parts of the show where it actually makes a half-attempt at taking itself seriously.

Also, there's a point where the announcer states that Goku's average tournament fight time is a little over 30 seconds. I call shenanigans.
    Well, considering that the fighters are much more powerful than anyone else around, I'd assume they get to do whatever the hell they want anyway.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #722
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Also, ugh, double-length research break! *shakes fist*
    And what do we get for chapter 352 just before the break?

Spoiler
    Show
    A huge and a damn cliffhanger. Nice going, Akamatsu.

No bets allowed on Chao using time shenanigans to bring Asuna back with her friends while also fixing something that went wrong (Negi's death?) along the way, though. Especially since the year seems to be right for the Mahora Tree to start shining like crazy at any moment now.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Help a guy find some good Anime!
    So, I've run out of things to watch, caught up to the English dubbed portion of Bleach, and I'm really in need of some good new stuff to watch. I don't exactly have a huge portfolio of watched anime, so I'll list what I have seen, and maybe you wonderful folks could suggest some other wonderful ones to watch.

In the past I have watched and greatly enjoyed:

Bleach
    Trigun
    Outlaw Star
    Elfen Lied
    FLCL
    Hellsing
    Black Lagoon

I've seen a couple other things, but nothing that I enjoyed enough that their names come to mind. I very much prefer things that have been dubbed into English. Any suggestions you smart folk?
    Current Sexy Reya Dawnbringer avatar by Edwin, thanks for the awesomeness.

"Come with me, and we'll be...
    In a world of total annihilation." .....Itnetlolor of Bay12 forums

4. - Top - End - #724
    Banned

What about things you've watched and didn't like? Recommending is easier if you know both sides of someone's taste and it also saves time on not recommending stuff you've already seen.

5. - Top - End - #725

The only thing that comes to mind is Demon-Eyes Kyo. Mainly because its the only anime I have ever watched from beginning to end.... And still had no Idea what was going on or why it was going on when it finished.
    Current Sexy Reya Dawnbringer avatar by Edwin, thanks for the awesomeness.

"Come with me, and we'll be...
    In a world of total annihilation." .....Itnetlolor of Bay12 forums

6. - Top - End - #726
    Banned

I wouldn't be able to comment on whether it is hard to follow because it's really complex or if it is because it's a complete mess. I can tell that the people voting on anime news network haven't been terribly impressed with it and that the ones writing about it on tvtropes seem to be part of the manga. If I were to guess, however, I'd imagine that part of the problem is that it's a 2002 adaptation of a manga that ended in 2006, meaning that a whole lot of stuff probably went unexplained. Especially as it appears it isn't a terribly competent adaptation of a story with a very large cast.

Still, even that doesn't help me much in determining what to recommend. What I can tell is that you seem to favor action, though that might just be a question of exposure, so I guess I'll concentrate recommendations in that area.

If you're fine with mecha Full Metal Panic! is a really good show with fairly good action both on foot and in mecha as well as a strong cast and some of the best comedy in anime, especially in the second season. Especially the dynamic between the main characters, Sousuke and Kaname, is great, with the added conflict presented by Sousuke's less than professional superior. The villain can be divisive, though. Some people consider him a great, scary and intimidating villain, some too over the top and ridiculous and some are just disgusted by him and think the show lets him off too easily.

If you can find it, which is fairly easy if you're willing to buy an expensive Blu-Ray release and very hard otherwise, Read or Die is quite amazing too. The ova, which is the first part of the story, is enjoyable, fast-paced pulp action with some of the best animated, fastest fight scenes I've seen in anime and clever use of one of the coolest superpowers ever. The tv series lowers the animation quality slightly, in favor of a plot that actually tries to be coherent and one of the strongest casts of any action anything ever. Some people expecting constant action are put off by the slow start, though, which is a shame since it has a lot of cool action and a very tense feel later and the slow start has excellent character development.

You might be interested in Baccano! too. A crazy, fast-paced story about immortal gangsters trying to kill each other, with a host of insane and over the top characters who tend to be fun despite largely being horrible people. Lots of incredibly cool action, hilarious ramblings and catchy, jazzy music. Hard to really say that much about it since it's mostly about style, which it does extremely well.

Finally there is the eternal recommendation that always crops up, Cowboy Bebop. Probably the show most renowned for its dub ever, with great music and what might well be the best animation of any 90s tv series. It's also accessible and has an episodic format that works thanks to the strength of the writing and the vision of the setting and the characters and is generally quite deserving of its status as a classic.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne View Post

Bleach
    Trigun
    Outlaw Star
    Elfen Lied
    FLCL
    Hellsing
    Black Lagoon

I've seen a couple other things, but nothing that I enjoyed enough that their names come to mind. I very much prefer things that have been dubbed into English. Any suggestions you smart folk?
    Well, how about we start with the recognised big names, just as a start (I'm not too worried about trying to fit exact likes here at the moment, if only because you don't seem to have seen much of anything... The best thing to do is to try a variety of things see if we can get a better read on what you like/dislike (and trust me, I've watched through a few series that I wouldn't want to watch ever again, the process can be very informative)

Let's try:
    Cowboy Bebop
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    Slayers
    Record of Lodoss War
    Ghost in the shell: Stand alone complex.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Troll in the Playground

Default Help a guy find some good Anime!
    So, I've run out of things to watch, caught up to the English dubbed portion of Bleach, and I'm really in need of some good new stuff to watch. I don't exactly have a huge portfolio of watched anime, so I'll list what I have seen, and maybe you wonderful folks could suggest some other wonderful ones to watch.

Bleach
    Trigun
    Outlaw Star
    Elfen Lied
    FLCL
    Hellsing
    Black Lagoon

Based on you liking FLCL, I'd assume you have a taste for the silly and bizarre. In line with that, might I suggest trying out

Azumanga Daioh
    Squid Girl
    Baka and Test

As for action, a lot of people like Gun X Sword. If you can get over how much it resembles Trigun and... every other action anime ever made, you might enjoy yourself.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

So... somebody else disappointed by how many clichés they got into Gundam AGE after the time skip? I feel like I'm on the verge of dropping it... (If anyone else is still watching)

Also, I had a gilmpse into Usagi Drop (one season late) and was shocked the first episode actually managed to get me choked up a bit.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    So... somebody else disappointed by how many clichés they got into Gundam AGE after the time skip? I feel like I'm on the verge of dropping it... (If anyone else is still watching)
    Clichés aren't always bad. And we don't have "I will kill the UE because they killed my family GRRRAAHH!" every five minutes any more.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Banned

I think I'll stick to Moretsu Pirates for all my space needs at the moment, episode 5 really won me over. I liked it before, but it wasn't really anything special, then all of a sudden the yachting club decided to be cool and carry out a neat plan that actually made sense and relied on technology that was comprehensible. The way they genuinely trust each other and work together was quite nice to see, too.

Also, Jenny and Lynn make a nice couple and they apparently are canon. At least they are in the light novels from what I hear.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post

Also, I had a gilmpse into Usagi Drop (one season late) and was shocked the first episode actually managed to get me choked up a bit.
    Funny, I heard more about the clichés pre-timeskip. Mostly because people on /m/ won't shut the hell up about the Lalah clone.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

13. - Top - End - #733
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Funny, I heard more about the clichés pre-timeskip. Mostly because people on /m/ won't shut the hell up about the Lalah clone.
    Anime franchises, always trying to find new ways of telling the same story.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Well, I was... surprised at how straight they reenacted the Lalah death scene... but now we get...
    Spoiler
    Show

A high schooler who is secretly a super hero (well, MS pilot), a ridiculous love triangle, a fight that is won by... turning on the sprinklers? More high school drama impending, the spy who has a change of heart but denies it, who also happens to be an incredible athlete... urgh, I think I could go on and on.
    Dunno, it's really kind of annoying to me... maybe they will patch things up.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Banned

Okay, let's just say I hadn't seen that coming in Mouretsu Pirates. It suddenly switched from hardish space opera with a very subdued tone to fast-paced comedy. Not just that, the peace time occupation of the privateers was both baffling, fitting and highly entertaining.

Still, I wonder who would have expected them to be a tourist attraction?

16. - Top - End - #736

So Forest was finished being translated a month ago and I just got around to reading it. It was excellent and if you are a person that would fall in the middle circle of a Venn Diagram with "Reads japanes eroge VNs", "Loved with Alice in Wonderland, Watership Down, Peter Pan, Chronicles of Narnia, and Winnie the Pooh as a kid" and "Likes 4th wall breaking post modern metafiction" it is absolutely something you should try to read.

Also, if you were somebody that was putting off reading Umineko no Naku Koro Ni because you couldn't stand Ryukishi07's original art, your wait is nearly over. The fine folk over here have nearly finished porting all the Sprites, backgrounds, and CGs from the PS3 Alchemist port over to the PC. Voices are still a work in progress and won't be done terribly soon, but will be done. I know I'll be waiting warmly for that patch's completion so I can reread with voices, but if nice looking sprites were a priority and voices weren't, you could probably start right now, and the Chiru patch will be ready by the time you get there.

As far as this season goes, the only anime I'm enjoying enough to speculate on either have existing source material so online speculation is usually ruined (Nisemonogatari, Moretsu Pirates, Another, Chihayafuru, Mirai Nikki) or have gone so spectacularly off the rails that speculation is impossible (Guilty Crown). Not that Ano Natsu or Rinne no Lagrange are bad, just that I really don't care enough about either to really post anything.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    Also, if you were somebody that was putting off reading Umineko no Naku Koro Ni because you couldn't stand Ryukishi07's original art, your wait is nearly over. The fine folk over here have nearly finished porting all the Sprites, backgrounds, and CGs from the PS3 Alchemist port over to the PC. Voices are still a work in progress and won't be done terribly soon, but will be done. I know I'll be waiting warmly for that patch's completion so I can reread with voices, but if nice looking sprites were a priority and voices weren't, you could probably start right now, and the Chiru patch will be ready by the time you get there.
    O hai, welcome to my bookmarks. Guess now I have another reason to get off my rearside and keep working on finishing Ep4. Not that I hated the original graphics or anything, but it's always nice having options. And gods, voices. I wants 'em. That old Ep1 patch that was around a while back left me wanting more.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Dwarf in the Playground

So I just finished Clannad including season two, and I'm a good chunk of the way through the VN. I'm pretty new to the whole anime thing, but I've really enjoyed Clannad. Any recommendations for a series like it? Except maybe one that doesn't make me want to vomit out my soul, I'm already staring at a couple days of feeling down.

EDIT: Also, in a vaguely related note, was it just me or was the credit theme just a little too upbeat given what happened at the end of some of the most important episodes of the show?
    Last edited by Sir_Mopalot; 2012-02-13 at 07:31 AM.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Mopalot View Post
    So I just finished Clannad including season two, and I'm a good chunk of the way through the VN. I'm pretty new to the whole anime thing, but I've really enjoyed Clannad. Any recommendations for a series like it? Except maybe one that doesn't make me want to vomit out my soul, I'm already staring at a couple days of feeling down.

EDIT: Also, in a vaguely related note, was it just me or was the credit theme just a little too upbeat given what happened at the end of some of the most important episodes of the show?
    AIR and Kanon are a tad similar from the same publisher and both are reasonably enjoyable, at least in my experience. If you're into Visual Novels, Type-Moon's (Tsukihime and FSN) are IMHO awesome though their focus is a tad different (more about the supernatural, and of course they involve combat).

For animes with similar themes, there's a dime dozen.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2012-02-13 at 08:57 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Mopalot View Post
    Air and Kanon, as mentioned, are directed by the same guy, based also off of Key novels. I've also found Air to be a somewhat similar take, though with a slightly different central idea. My personal recommend, though, for Jun Maeda, is Angel Beats!, which just came out in 2010. It's more action-oriented and a little over-the-top, but I thought it was a beautifully-done show, and it's definitely not so much of a downer...there's a sort of peaceful satisfaction, in the end. And its themes are in very similar areas to CLANNAD's, while still staying different.
    Skipped that ending theme every. single. TIME. I can't stand it. It's not even particularly good. On the other hand, playing Dango Daikazoku as the credits theme for Afterstory would have been just...torture.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2012-02-14 at 01:21 AM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, thank you. I've run into suggestions for Air and Kanon before, but the impression I've gotten is that they're similarly sad, which I'm just not up to at the moment

I'll check out Angel Beats for sure, honestly I don't know how you'd do a show that was less action-oriented than Clannad, I guess if you just took out all the slapstick. Because if Clannad needs anything, it's to be less upbeat. /sarcasm

I loved the opening song for After Story, is the thing. It definitely called up the right type and amount of emotion. The Dango song indeed would have been too much.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Orc in the Playground

Hey, Tomoyo's eight-hundred-hit-combos on poor Sunohara are much more actiony than most shounen battle animes. And much more awesome, too . Also, damn you anime thread for reminding me of Dango Daikazoku. I know what my brain's going to be whistling all day long now...

Anyway, I'm gonna throw Toradora! in as a recommendation. Similar themes of love, friendship and growing up, some silly fun from time to time (less slapstick-like, though), some serious drama and angst from tiime to time, and way lighter on the tear jerkers (not that hard to do, mind). Plus Yui Horie, which is always a plus. Unless the female lead ticks you off (she gets better, promise), I think you should enjoy it.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, using the dango song in After Story would have been hilariously cruel. Like, George R.R. Martin would probably hesitate before doing it. (he would, but he'd hesitate!)

Oh, and just the mention of that song got me caught humming it... ugh.
    Assassin avatar by the awesome Elder Tsofu.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

I very much prefer things that have been dubbed into English. Any suggestions you smart folk?
    *shudders* dubbing...the horror...TEH HORROR!

Ok, sorry, I've got it under control now.

If you like things that are more action than philosophy, I'd recoment Soul Eater. It's the only anime that I think does slapstick well, because the completey-over-the-top characters don't take themselves to seriously, and it balances the funny in good proportion with the serious and the exciting.
    Last edited by Deepbluediver; 2012-02-14 at 10:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

25. - Top - End - #745
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBlack View Post
    Hey, Tomoyo's eight-hundred-hit-combos on poor Sunohara are much more actiony than most shounen battle animes.
    "Poor Sunohara"? It's more than clear that he loves being beat up.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deepbluediver View Post
    If you like things that are more action than philosophy, I'd recoment Soul Eater. It's the only anime that I think does slapstick well, because the completey-over-the-top characters don't take themselves to seriously, and it balances the funny in good proportion with the serious and the exciting.
    I'l second. Soul Eater is a real nice show.
    Truth resists simplicity.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm just gonna leave this here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

28. - Top - End - #748
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by banthesun View Post
    I'm just gonna leave this here.
    ffff...

and of course they adapt the crackiest one of his.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ogre in the Playground

What the ... what was that?

30. - Top - End - #750
    Troll in the Playground

I'm conflicted... On the one hand, the idea of walking fish make me want to laugh. On the other hand, the body horror scenes suggest screaming is a better idea. Not sure if want.
    Truth resists simplicity.