New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBlack View Post
    Never underestimate the average stupidity of most fandoms, Tengu.
    There is a reason I said "worrying" and not "surprising".

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #782
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.ph...50829#msg50829
    The MM discussion thread has pie. And also explanations.
    More direct was more interesting.

Though like the author apparently believes I doubt we will ever know the truth of the matter between dual non-disclosures and language barriers between us and it.

Does raise my hope that we will get a sequel series from somewhere though. Manga copyrights are held by the original author right, unlike most American comics.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Firbolg in the Playground

W.. what? So you guys don't like future adult Yue got molested D:? please don't take this seriously.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

4. - Top - End - #784
    Banned

No, we don't. We were kinda hoping to see her kick ass and show the same awesome she did at Ariadne.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure that question was asked tongue in the cheek, Terra.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

I must be desensitized because whenever someone complains about fanservice in Negima.... I. think. they. need. to get. out. more.

(That last one is to prove more then Japanese can be horrible perverts by the way)

7. - Top - End - #787
    Titan in the Playground

Fanservice is one thing, near-rape is another. Besides, I think that all the fanservice is a detriment to Negima - for one thing, it makes it much more awkward to show to third parties.

Yeah, there's a lot of stuff with way more fanservice out there. Most of it is also crap with little but fanservice going for it, while Negima would only get better if there wasn't so much Barbie doll nudity in it.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2012-03-07 at 11:13 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah I gave up on being elitist about fanservice awhile ago and found I have more fun that way.

And seriously explaining Negima to an outsider... yeah I'd rather explain Nanoha and Ponies to a devoted UFC fan.

9. - Top - End - #789

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    I must be desensitized because whenever someone complains about fanservice in Negima.... I. think. they. need. to get. out. more.
    Surely getting out more would only hinder your exposure to the full breadth of deplorable fanservice?

10. - Top - End - #790
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Yeah I gave up on being elitist about fanservice awhile ago and found I have more fun that way.
    That's not what being elitist means.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #791
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Fanservice is one thing, near-rape is another. Besides, I think that all the fanservice is a detriment to Negima - for one thing, it makes it much more awkward to show to third parties.
    I tried to get into Negima. I felt there was a pretty cool shonen story somewhere in there, but all the fanservice and harem shenanigans kept getting in the way.
    Truth resists simplicity.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Titan in the Playground

You should keep on reading. The focus of the manga shifts pretty radically over time. Only during/after the Kyoto arc it really starts to spread its wings.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #793
    Titan in the Playground

That's not what being elitist means.
    I find the air of "too good for fanservice" being flung around right now as precisely that nonetheless.

While its not irrelevant in the quality of a show in general I think lacking fanservice would actually degrade Negima. It undermines the ultimately light-hearted and crazy air of the series, because no series can claim to be as self-aware of its medium as Negima is without utilizing it. Removing it would be in essence missing the point and turning a fun series... into a boringly serious one.

And not that I complete ignore fanservice as a factor. You still need something to run on besides it for example. I think Rosario+Vampire's anime a textbook case in how to screw up that balance, because of weak actual storytelling. While something like Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls despite being vastly more perverted still somehow manages to come off as stylishly (and dare I say artistically) over the top, and I found myself enjoying it despite myself.

In the end I think fanservice is used more as an easy scapegoat for shallow stories.

And for that matter I'm not sure where philosophically I can draw the line on where fanservice begins and ends. How about at non-idealized feminine figures period? Only I question whether that possible in an almost technical sense. Animation is about exaggerated and stylized features, because you simply can capture the more nuanced IRL in a reduced format. So eyes are big, hair is big, and face use larger expression.

And the Most Common Superpower exists to let you know this isn't some 10 year old. While for the other gender, every man is built like a pro-football player to also let you know this isn't some 10 year old. Sure this means everyone ends up looking perfect, but to be honest I find that most people are attractive presuming they take care of themselves. People that are genuinely ugly are pretty beyond what a work-out routine and following some basic grooming lessons could fix... are actually pretty rare

14. - Top - End - #794
    Titan in the Playground

So what am I supposed to do, pretend that I don't mind all the fanservice? I am not against fanservice per se, but it has its place, and in Negima, it often feels out of place and distracts from the main story, and sometimes is more than a bit uncomfortable. It shouldn't be gone completely, but there should be much less of it. Also, most of the funniest scenes in Negima have nothing to do with fanservice, so I have no idea where that "boringly serious" comment came from.

By the way, we should define fanservice here: nudity and panty shots. That's what it usually means anyway.

Also, the more you know.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #795
    Orc in the Playground

I am not against fanservice per se, but it has its place
    Me in a nutshell. And my problem with the latest chapter, setting aside the fact that the fanservice in it was very borderline, is that the second-to-last chapter of a long-running series which is being finished in a rush for whatever reason is not the place to cram three to four full pages of nothing but tit-grabbing in. I wouldn't have batted an eye at it if it had happened in the middle of the Magic World arc (oh wait, it did happen there, too), but now? A waste of space.
    Last edited by NeonBlack; 2012-03-08 at 02:03 PM.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Banned

While I am creeped out a fair bit by more extreme fanservice, what especially bothers me here is that it makes Yue come off rather weak and pathetic. That's not how I want to see one of my favorite characters after a long timeskip when she's supposed to have grown a lot. That it was this borderline just made it worse, as did the fact that it was a waste of very limited page count this late in the story.

17. - Top - End - #797

Waaait, it seriously make yue looks weak and pathetic? Really? I never thought of that even a single bit. She unleashed all those awesome spells and complex delayed spells and stuff, and she act really cool and awesome even before the fight.

And her being tricked in one page after dozen of pages of her acting awesome makes her look weak and pathetic? Is this like, the opposite of a show where everything's so depressing and dark, and when it ended up with happy ending, everyone still call it a downer series?

Even if you think her being tricked that once is pathetic, I more consider it as the usual negima rule of nudity triumph explosions or something in that line. There should be a rule about that somewhere. You know all that awesome fights that end with one or more participant getting nude at the end for some random reason? Yeah, that part of negima.
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #798
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, its just about time to look forward to next season. Our final lineup has mostly solidified and we're starting to get PVs for stuff. Without further ado:

Spoiler
    Show

For me, its arranged something like this:

GET HYPE tier:

Uchuu Kyoudai: Based on an award winning manga about bros in space. Confirmed for getting 48 episodes and is also getting a live action film. A-1 has had really solid animation for about the last year, and hopefully the cash they're swimming in from Idolm@aster will let this look good even over such a long run

Sakamichi no Apollon: Based on an award winning manga about bros playing jazz music. Directed by Shinichirō Watanabe with music by Yoko Kanno and airing in the noitaminA timeslot. All I need right there in that last sentence.

I want to believe tier:

Tsuritama: Kenji Nakamura original anime airing on noitaminA!? A year ago before [C] aired that would have been enough to qualify for the GET HYPE tier, but now I'm tempering my expectations a little. Sounds a little like Arakawa, which I enjoyed, but the premise so far isn't much to go on. Animated by A-1 so again that at least should be solid.

Hyou-ka: KyoAni animating a mystery anime? And not something thats only slice of life or sketch comedy? The last time they did that, we got Haruhi. On the other hand, what we already have on this makes it look pretty Moe infested already, and Japan just has to keep proving to me that no matter how much I wish things were different, they suck at mystery. Oh well, I'd rather be hopeful than cynical at this point, so I'll definitely be watching it.

Mite b cool tier:

Ozuma: I should really go watch Harlock and Space Battleship Yamamoto before making any comments about this. But then again, this might be what encourages to go watch those classics by being awesome. We'll have to see

Accel World: Honestly I'm not really getting anything of note from the series synopsis. What I am getting is that its an anime original production from Sunrise, so its going to probably at least deserve 3 episodes to see what the hell it is exactly. Which I'll give it.

Aw what the hell tier:

Nazo no Kanojo X: My friends absolute favorite manga is being adapted into an anime by a director that's done nothing but Doraemon and an animation studio thats only show of note is Seikon no Qwaser and Aki-Sora. Wouldn't miss this possible trainwreck for the world.

Medaka Box: Animated by Gainax and based on a work written by Nisio Isin. Why am I not more excited about this? First of all, Gainax sucks now. All of its old old staff (people who made Eva) works at Studio Khara with Anno making Rebuild, and most of its newer old staff (people who made Gurren Lagann and Panty and Stocking) left with Imaishi for Trigger after Panty and Stocking. Since then, we got Dantalian no Shoka a horribly lackluster adaption. Now they're doing another adaption. Secondly I know that Medaka Box is shonen which I don't care for, and more importantly, I've been told its bad shonen. Maybe I'll disagree when I watch it, but it seems to be the consensus of much of the internet so . . .

Everything else tier:
    Sorry but none of the rest catch my eye. You'll have to convince me to watch the stuff I'm missing.

I'll have opinions on Winter stuff when it finishes in a few weeks.
    Last edited by mallorean_thug; 2012-03-09 at 01:02 PM.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    Accel World: Honestly I'm not really getting anything of note from the series synopsis. What I am getting is that its an anime original production from Sunrise, so its going to probably at least deserve 3 episodes to see what the hell it is exactly. Which I'll give it.
    Original? Nah, it's a light novel and manga already.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Orc in the Playground

There's also a new Lupin III 13-episode TV series that's missing on that chart. Looks good, even if I never really got into Lupin.

Otherwise, I have to go on a PV-checking rampage before deciding on what I'm watching (or, more accurately, not watching, judging by my winter-induced procastrination so far), but Hyou-ka is a shoe-in in any case because KyoAni, and the two noitaminA shows look and sound good for a change. Other than that, it's wait and see, although Uchuu Kyoudai sounds appealing at first sight.

Edit: oh, and the A Channel OVA. That too. And Fate/Zero S2, obviously.
    Last edited by NeonBlack; 2012-03-09 at 02:38 PM.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Waaait, it seriously make yue looks weak and pathetic? Really? I never thought of that even a single bit. She unleashed all those awesome spells and complex delayed spells and stuff, and she act really cool and awesome even before the fight.
    Really. If a character pulls off a wide range of moves, but all of them prove to be more or less pointless, and later gets reduced to a blushing, naked mess that's unable to fight back and has to be saved from a near-rape? That does make her look weak, yes.

So, its just about time to look forward to next season. Our final lineup has mostly solidified and we're starting to get PVs for stuff. Without further ado:

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing really caught my eye here, so I'll just wait and see if check people's opinions on the stuff this season once it starts. Though the two shows you mentioned seem to have potential, yeah. And Ozuma, because Leiji Matsumoto.

Also, wasn't Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 supposed to come out this season?

On an unrelated note: I like how Thomas has no description. He just stares at you, wordlessly saying "I know all your secrets".
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2012-03-09 at 03:29 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #802

Pointless? She defeated all those monsters easily! It's only the summoner that she fails to defeat.

Anyway, and unlike tengu which is a philistine, I see that this season's anime is full of great things. Too bad that most likely I won't have time to see even a portion of them. But let's see what I know.

Nazo no kanojo x is one of my absolute favourite manga, but the comment above me worry me.

Ozuma sounds great. Leiji matsumoto and the sea of sand?

Nadia remaster! Maybe finally I can finish watching this.

SD Rock Lee! Is this based on that naruto manga spin off? Because if so, **** yeah! Rock on, rock lee!

Arashi no yoru got adapted... huh....

Zetman manga is fantastic. It's a dark-ish sentai series in realistic setting. I wonder if the anime would do it justice.

And I also quite enjoy Jormungand manga. It's basically... not-black-lagoon? The adventure of a crew of unscrupulous weapon dealers with questionable moral...

And from what I don't know but look quite interesting...

Uchuu kyoudai look like something I'd like to watch. Too bad that most likely I won't have time to do it, and even if I do, I'll most likely prioritize to watch something else.

Train hero sounds amusing.

I read Sakamichi Apollon once, but I forgot what it's even about now. But yeah, it sounds good.

And Yurumates sounds like some mindless fun entertainment.
    Last edited by Fri; 2012-03-09 at 04:22 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #803
    Troll in the Playground

Sakamichi no Apollon: Based on an award winning manga about bros playing jazz music. Directed by Shinichirō Watanabe with music by Yoko Kanno and airing in the noitaminA timeslot. All I need right there in that last sentence.
    This is literally the only thing this season I can care about because teh trailer was so epic it made me drop everything and watch it 5 times. That may be because I have a raging music boner for Yoko Kanno, or a raging director boner for Shinichirō Watanabe, or because I have a raging boner for jazz music and good drumming, I'm not sure. Either way, this anime is probably going to be the best goddamn thing.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

24. - Top - End - #804

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Even if you think her being tricked that once is pathetic, I more consider it as the usual negima rule of nudity triumph explosions or something in that line. There should be a rule about that somewhere. You know all that awesome fights that end with one or more participant getting nude at the end for some random reason? Yeah, that part of negima.
    It's not that she was "tricked" or ended up naked. It's that as soon as the tables turned on her, she became paralyzed and unable to do anything. That's the problem I had with it, at least. She succumbed to Non-Standard Female Grab Area.

I recognize little from this season besides Fate/Zero... I guess I'll be checking out Seitokai Yakuindomo as a guilty indulgence though.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    This is literally the only thing this season I can care about because teh trailer was so epic it made me drop everything and watch it 5 times. That may be because I have a raging music boner for Yoko Kanno, or a raging director boner for Shinichirō Watanabe, or because I have a raging boner for jazz music and good drumming, I'm not sure. Either way, this anime is probably going to be the best goddamn thing.
    The funny thing is that this show's description on the anime preview picture is so general that I didn't even know it's about jazz until I read mallorean thug's post. I assumed it's yaoi. Because seriously: a boy who moves from school to school and can't form stable relationships meets another boy who shows him a new way of life?

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #806
    Troll in the Playground

The funny thing is that this show's description on the anime preview picture is so general that I didn't even know it's about jazz until I read mallorean thug's post. I assumed it's yaoi. Because seriously: a boy who moves from school to school and can't form stable relationships meets another boy who shows him a new way of life?
    Just...bask in the glory that is the trailer.

Which rewatching it, doesn't abate those yaoi claims. It's a slice of life according to most sites, no yaoi or anything. I'm just excited because it'll have god tier direction and music. Yoko Kanno knows how to compose a goof jazz soundtrack.
    Last edited by Dispozition; 2012-03-09 at 04:34 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that trailer does nothing to make it seem any less yaoi, even if it really isn't. And while we're on the topic of trailers, the Zetman one looks very good, and amusingly enough it kinda resembles a PbP game I've been playing for the last few years.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

@Spring Anime:

I will probably check out Eureka Seven Ao. A sequel series featuring the son of one of my favorite couples in anime. Yeah I'm down with that because it makes me immensely happy that it exists.

Also some presumably HD quality Nadia... oh heck yes I'm all over that.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    It's not that she was "tricked" or ended up naked. It's that as soon as the tables turned on her, she became paralyzed and unable to do anything. That's the problem I had with it, at least. She succumbed to Non-Standard Female Grab Area.
    See now this is a more valid concern. And while I don't completely disagree I'll first point out that Paio is not exactly a weak character to begin with. And apparently since then she's been hanging around with the true master pervert. What I'm the only one who recognized that stance am I? Dialogue supported too!

Sure the Boobie Goddess is nothing on the final boss characters, but Yue's display is still around Pre-Magic World Negi levels. So getting caught in a grapple is not so illegit a notion, and well you tell me how well you fight with someone grabbing sensitive portions of anatomy.

And in the end its not like it went on that long.

(Yeah I can wish it was more awesome, but its not like it bothers me)

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The latest chapter of Negima caught me by surprise. I was expecting at least a nod to the whole, you know, Negi's dad thing that he was going crazy about before. Instead we got to see detective Yue groped by the magical pervert lady. Isn't the next chapter supposed to be the last? I have no idea what kind of ending they can write out of this. This all seems so abrupt.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Titan in the Playground

Welp, last Negima.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The thing with Nagi just appearing was kinda rushed and could've been done much better, but overall it was a decent closure. Also, Setsuna/Konoka (you're reeeaaaally subtle with the narration there, Akamatsu) and Kotarou/Natsumi, hell yeah. And, of course, we never officially learn who is the girl Negi likes.

Spoiler
    Show