Make that two.
    Three.
    Oz Bezarius avatar by Kwarkpudding.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

Quote Originally Posted by Atelm View Post
    Three.
    Four. (Now I know nobody's reading my posts ) I have a hard time seeing Milli as pink Saber because she got stuck in my head as pink Hitler due to her pre-war speech.

Yeah, Norio's hard/impossible to miss even if he's only a very minor character. Koyasu and Ono are also only minor characters but overall it's like they got every name in the industry to fill the slots for the named characters.
    Last edited by Kato; 2011-06-02 at 05:37 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

I think Norio stands out because he's second string here (and not a villian too) you are just going along and its like "Holy Shiite its Christopher Walken Emperor Wakomoto"

And so we have Saber, Hitler, and Caro from the first episode. Dog Princess of Cosplay must be her official title or something.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Amusingly enough this series also marks the first time I've notice a VA in Japanese without any prior knowledge.
    Yesss, enter the path of recognizing seiyuu by voice alone! It's a very fun way to train your memory and hearing. You start with easily recognizable voices like Norio Wakamoto or Nobuyuki Hiyama, and one day you might end up Houko Kuwashima! And that's quite a feat, because she sounds completely different in almost every role. Woman got talent.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Yesss, enter the path of recognizing seiyuu by voice alone! It's a very fun way to train your memory and hearing. You start with easily recognizable voices like Norio Wakamoto or Nobuyuki Hiyama, and one day you might end up Houko Kuwashima! And that's quite a feat, because she sounds completely different in almost every role. Woman got talent.
    Ugh, really? I don't think I'll ever be able to do something like that. I'd never thought Shinku had the same VA as Hououin Kyouma from Steins;Gate before I read it. But I have poor hearing anyway. Norio... well, he's Norio. I'm not deaf at least.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Here are some seiyuu I consider pretty easy to recognize:

Norio Wakamoto - mentioned before. Really hard to miss him.

Nobuyuki Hiyama - ditto. If a character communicates mostly in snake-like threatening whispers and/or high-pitched screams, that's him.

Jun Fukuyama - he always sounds like his nose is stuffed. Can be misleading when he does his shota voice, like in Macross Frontier, but even there you can hear him.

Hochu Otsuka - he has a very characteristic voice: each time I hear him, I can't help but imagine Jiraiya from Naruto. He's a very underappreciated seiyuu in my opinion.

Everyone In Weiss Group - Tomokazu Seki requires no introduction, Shinichiro Miki always sounds laidback and slightly pervy, Takehito Koyasu is in almost everything and his voice is an archetype all by itself (so much that some other seiyuu sometimes mimic him, like Tomokazu Sugita), Hiro Yuuki always sounds like a kid and his voice kinda fades into the background when he's not yelling his lungs out.

I just noticed that this list has only male seiyuu. Hmmm...

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, Vivid actually started in on the tournament. Mooks defeated really quickly, which is good because it's getting quickly to the real combatants.

Though I will say, the mangaka is not all that good at drawing fight scenes.

Also drive-by Dieci love.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Ehh I had no complaints about the big fight earlier. But then again why would I have had complaints about a match up featuring dueling Starlight Breakers?

Presumably the tournament will be lower key for awhile.

Oh is it wrong that I expected bracelets to be dropped and crater the deck... then was disappointed when that didn't happen?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

These girls are good, but they're no Rock Lee.

Also, I think at range it's not too bad (though yes, dueling Starlight Breakers makes up for a lot), but close-combat is a difficult thing to get right for a lot of artists, and it too easily degenrates into a cluttered mess.
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Given some of the mentors and parents of these girls.... I'll put a different interpretation on "no Rock Lee" for myself.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Firbolg in the Playground

Tengu: don't forget Jouji Nakata. In Code Geass, I kept waiting for Diethard to kill everyone.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Tengu: don't forget Jouji Nakata. In Code Geass, I kept waiting for Diethard to kill everyone.
    I don't know this guy too well. Only heard him a couple of times.

I should make a list of easily recognizable female seiyuu, too. I know Teh Rie would be on it, and Megumi Hayashibara.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Oh is it wrong that I expected bracelets to be dropped and crater the deck... then was disappointed when that didn't happen?
    They're magic, not heavy. So taking them off should create an explosion.

I should make a list of easily recognizable female seiyuu, too. I know Teh Rie would be on it, and Megumi Hayashibara.
    Continuing from this topic, Yukari Tamura? Once you've heard her play both a child and an adult, that is.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-06-03 at 08:16 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't know this guy too well. Only heard him a couple of times.

Hmm, adding to this list, off the top of my head, I find Kana Hanazawa, Mai Nakahara, and Yui Horie all fairly recognizable. I was also going to add Yukari Tamura but Prime beat me to it.

And while I'm not watching it right now, it seems 2 of those 4 are also playing roles in Dog Days. Maybe I should start just to play name that voice.
    Last edited by mallorean_thug; 2011-06-03 at 10:03 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Yukari Tamura - very yes. After watching all 3 seasons of Nanoha it's very easy to spot her in other series. Recognizing Mai Nakahara is pretty hard for me, though, and I haven't heard a lot of Kana Hanazawa or Yui Horie.

I find Satsuki Yukino pretty easy to recognize. Especially when she's in tsundere mode.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    They're magic, not heavy. So taking them off should create an explosion.
    If they were dropped to provoke said exsplosion there would be some amount of cratering.... thus satisfying me immensely

17. - Top - End - #77

*snip* haven't heard a lot of Kana Hanazawa *snip*
    I take it you haven't been watching anything in the last couple seasons. Because she's been cast in at least 2 major roles the last 3 or 4 seasons, including this one. No matter what I decide to watch, it seems I can't get away from her. Which is great because I love her voice, but bad because I'm afraid she's going to just burn out at this rate.

I find Satsuki Yukino pretty easy to recognize. Especially when she's in tsundere mode.
    I was actually thinking about mentioning her as I was typing up my post, but decided not to when I looked up her list of works and realized that I had never realized she voiced Milly in Trigun or Ai in Planetes. I do agree that she's recognizable in tsundere mode, but besides that she really does have great range. See her performance as Shion/Mion.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    I take it you haven't been watching anything in the last couple seasons.
    Nope. The newest anime series I watched are Durarara (which had her, but that's just one series), SRW OG: Inspectors (which I haven't finished) and the second season of Spice and Wolf. New anime does a pretty bad job at making me want to check it out.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

I take it you haven't been watching anything in the last couple seasons. Because she's been cast in at least 2 major roles the last 3 or 4 seasons, including this one. No matter what I decide to watch, it seems I can't get away from her. Which is great because I love her voice, but bad because I'm afraid she's going to just burn out at this rate.
    It's kind of funny that I've only been watching anime "as it airs" since last summer, and I still have managed to mostly avoid Hana Kanazawa somehow. Not consciously, mind, and I have quite a few of her shows (Durarara, Kuragehime, Bakemonogatari, maybe Railgun, maybe Steins;Gate, *cough*maybe B Gata H Kei*cough*) on my shortlist to fill this summer, which is looking quite dry. So far, I've only heard her as Kuroneko in OreImo and as Shiori (a.k.a. shy library girl) in TWGOK, which wasn't exactly a major role.

I'm quite bad at recognizing voices, to be honest, specially female ones. The only one I've been managing to spot easily as of late is Ayana Taketatsu (Azusa in K-On!, Kirino (grr) in OreImo, Éclair in Dog Days), which admittedly is also quite easy to catch, at least so far. Talking about the K-On! girls, I also caught Youko Hikasa easily as Brioche in Dog Days, but then I still haven't identified Minako Kotobuki's character (and I know she's there), and it took me a few chapters to hear her as Yuuko in A Channel. Yep, I'm bad at this game .

Another K-On! girl just made me do a double-take, by the way. I would never have guessed that loudmouth, tomboy, energetic and a bit of a jerkass drummer Ritsu Tainaka and shy, plain, quiet and friendly Manami "Neighbour Girl" Tamura from OreImo were both voiced by Satomi Satou .
    Last edited by NeonBlack; 2011-06-03 at 11:52 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80

See her(Satsuki Yukino's) performance as Shion/Mion.
    On that note, for the Higurashi Character CDs, she sang 2 duets with herself. While not quite as impressive as some of the arguments she had with herself during the series, the character songs are more fun and easier to link to:

Birthday of Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqB-W6yWtKI

Words One Cannot Say:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TndPEovNQUc

@tengu: You're probably missing out then, however I can't remember enough specifics about your tastes in anime to be confident in saying what exactly you're missing out on. I mean, in the last year worth of anime, I've personally enjoyed Madoka, Hourou Musuko, Kuragahime, Shiki, and The Tatami Galaxy and I'm currently enjoying Ano Hana and Steins; Gate but your mileage may vary.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been enjoying Tiger and Bunny.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Hmmm. So, my attention has been brough to Ikki Tousen/Battle Vixens and I have a few questions. Firstly, is it any good? Secondly, are any of the series in English? Thirdly, if so, or if there is a subbed version instead, where would I find it, either online or off? And finally, if it is not particularly quality, are any of the other Three Kingdoms based anime (of which there are strangely a lot) good, in English or subbed, and available?
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

I don't really care much for recognizing voices myself, as long as the work done is good. I can recognize similarities between some characters while watching, but never remember them, other than Norio and that is only because he was pointed out to me.

Someone should round up all the LARGE HAMs and have them do something together.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-06-04 at 04:20 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    Hmmm. So, my attention has been brough to Ikki Tousen/Battle Vixens and I have a few questions. Firstly, is it any good? Secondly, are any of the series in English? Thirdly, if so, or if there is a subbed version instead, where would I find it, either online or off? And finally, if it is not particularly quality, are any of the other Three Kingdoms based anime (of which there are strangely a lot) good, in English or subbed, and available?
    Available on Hulu

I only watched one episode before getting distracted by other series. Seemed extremely I guess lightweight for a series based off such a major work of literature.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Someone should round up all the LARGE HAMs and have them do something together.
    It was called Code Geass.

26. - Top - End - #86

Since this seems to be the best place to ask:

Are the two Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann movies good or awesome?
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak586 View Post
    Since this seems to be the best place to ask:

Are the two Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann movies good or awesome?
    Second better than the first, but they don't make sense unless you've seen the series.

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Second better than the first, but they don't make sense unless you've seen the series.
    yeah, I watched the series, and was wondering whether the movies were good
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak586 View Post
    yeah, I watched the series, and was wondering whether the movies were good
    The movies would be the reigning champion for Compilation movies capturing all the essentials of their series.... except then the White Devil went beyond the impossible and set a higher standard.

Note that not capturing your entire series as well as Nanoha did is still well beyond the bounds of mind numbingly awesome.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

Yay, Umineko and Umineko Chiru just arrived in the mail... just in time for the Japanese finals I should be studying for . Must... resist... temptation... and... keep... studying... those... damn... kanji...

...ah, screw it. Installing right now .