New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    Hmm. I really need to watch more good anime, but I just never know where to look. Therefore, this thread will probably be helpful.

*snipped for preventing wall of text*
    Okay, english dubbed anime- that shortens my list a lot:
    Baccano
    Durarara
    Code Geass (second season is a bit debatable in quality but first was good)
    Slayers
    Planetes

In feature length stuff, look out for pretty much anything by studio ghibli.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Banned

I'll admit to being a bit lost about what to do thanks to the dub requirement as I almost exclusively watches subs. However, I second Cowboy Bebop, it's a very good and accessible show and pretty much considered the benchmark for good dubbing. Also, who doesn't love space western/yakuza drama?

Also, Azumanga Daioh is a very funny slice of life show about a rather eccentric group of high school girls and their just as weird teachers. It supposedly has a good dub, but I wouldn't know and might just be making that up as an excuse to recommend a show that I love.

Finally there is one show that I enjoyed and actually watched dubbed, Big O. It's basically Batman with a giant robot in a city that's a bizarre fusion style and fairly modern technology. It does have the problem of growing rather weird in the second season and not having all that clear an ending.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

In addition to what people recommended:
    FLCL. It's a silly slapstick comedy, incredibly strange mind screw and a touching coming of age story at once, the animation is very good and full of energy, the soundtrack is absolutely amazing and from what I know the dub does a great job. And if you somehow don't like it - it's only 6 episodes long.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    In addition to what people recommended:
    FLCL. It's a silly slapstick comedy, incredibly strange mind screw and a touching coming of age story at once, the animation is very good and full of energy, the soundtrack is absolutely amazing and from what I know the dub does a great job. And if you somehow don't like it - it's only 6 episodes long.
    I'll back this one up, the dub bit anyway. It's not as good as the original audio, but it is very watchable, which is far better that most dubs are.

I'll throw in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. One of my favourite dubbing jobs, and it's a great cyberpunk futuristic sci-fi series that even non-anime likers I've shown it to have enjoyed (:
    Last edited by Dispozition; 2011-07-16 at 08:55 AM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Firbolg in the Playground

So... I stumbled into [C] The Money And Soul Of Possibility's premise and thought, wow, this looks pretty awesome. I thought it'll be one of those "what do you mean it's not awesome" shows, a show about people doing crazy business takeovers and high stake stock trades...

Imagine my disappointment when I actually checked wikipedia to check what's the show actually about...
    Last edited by Fri; 2011-07-16 at 09:49 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Well, I was about to ask why you disliked One Piece but given you only watch dubs... from what I heard I get your point.

Okay, so, good/decent dubs... Gurren Lagann... very wide spectrum, mechas, manliness, BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE-ness. Higly etnertaining by most people's judgement.
    Cowboy Bebop, classic, futuristic... what's the word... jazzy? Many many people like it (I'd say everyone but there are exceptions to all rules)
    Are there dubs for Hellsing Ultimate allready? I think so... It's pretty dark but then it suddenly mood swaps to funny for a few seconds. Don't go for the normal series, though.
    Uhm.... there are many more but I don't really know what is subbed or how well it is.

Also, on the current season... it's fedding on my life! I'm glad I didn't start everything but it's already eating away so much of my time I will need to drop the mediocre/good stuff for the good/very good...
    Cowboy Bebop has been on my list forever, so I'll totally go there. What's wrong with the original Hellsing? I've always heard it's pretty good. Also now on my list from quick internet searches.

Durarara!
    Gurren Lagann
    Big O
    Hellsing Ultimate
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Cowboy Bebop has been on my list forever, so I'll totally go there. What's wrong with the original Hellsing? I've always heard it's pretty good. Also now on my list from quick internet searches.

Durarara!
    Gurren Lagann
    Big O
    Hellsing Ultimate
    Well, okay, the original Hellsing was... okay. But then it just went way to far away from the Manga and the animation is way below Ultimate's which in this case actually matters for me. YOu can watch the old serioes but I'd really recommend the OVA's.

Also, seconding Durarara and Bacanno, forgot they got dubs already. Really nice, both of them. And Code Geass is okay but I'd say more up to personal preference. Big O... wanted to watch for quite a while, didn't get to it yet.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    So... I stumbled into [C] The Money And Soul Of Possibility's premise and thought, wow, this looks pretty awesome. I thought it'll be one of those "what do you mean it's not awesome" shows, a show about people doing crazy business takeovers and high stake stock trades...

Imagine my disappointment when I actually checked wikipedia to check what's the show actually about...
    Yeah, stay away from it. Easily the worst Noitamina timeslot show I've watched, my biggest disapointment from last season and overall pretty terribad. If you're curious I could go into why its terribad, but I believe I already have a rant about it a couple pages back.

Durarara!
    Gurren Lagann
    Big O
    Hellsing Ultimate
    Yeah, the dub requirement cuts you off from a lot of really good shows. Since you're not comparing the two audio tracks at all, I'm just going to recommend shows that I like that have dubs, regardless of dub quality.

Baccano! (Gangsters in Prohibition era US + immortality potions = hijinks)
    Durarara (gansters in tokyo + dullahan + 4chan= hijinks Same author as Baccano!)
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (giant robots)
    Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone complex (cyberpunk cops)
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (genre parodying everything)
    Hellsing Ultimate (vampires + nazis + catholic priests)
    Haibane Renmei (possible afterlife slice of life)
    Princess Tutu (Swan lake + Card Captor Sakura + awesome)
    Planetes (trash collectors IN SPACE)
    Kino's Journey (traveler with talking motorcycle in episodic vignettes.)
    Monster (doctor chases psycopath)
    Gankusuou (the Count of Monte Cristo IN THE FUTURE)

All of course, better than they sound at first. Haibane Renmei is my favorite show off that list with Princess Tutu and Baccano! close behind.
    Last edited by mallorean_thug; 2011-07-16 at 02:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Well, okay, the original Hellsing was... okay. But then it just went way to far away from the Manga and the animation is way below Ultimate's which in this case actually matters for me. YOu can watch the old serioes but I'd really recommend the OVA's.
    I feel the urge to point out when the series was made most of the manga didn't exist.

Me I always felt the old series had much nicer characterization to it, the manga and the OVAs both don't have characters so much as posing speech-making machines. Very fun to watch machines, but only occasionally approaching something called a character.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Double posting but not caring....

I just had a major nerdgasm from something I think this thread will enjoy:

Best Parody Ever

Best Parody Ever Continuation

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    I feel the urge to point out when the series was made most of the manga didn't exist.

Me I always felt the old series had much nicer characterization to it, the manga and the OVAs both don't have characters so much as posing speech-making machines. Very fun to watch machines, but only occasionally approaching something called a character.
    Okay, given but still, they could have... stopped instead of making so much completely different up.
    I can't recall any more distinguished characterization in the old series... if anything the later manga chapters get any. But I dare say character development is not the focus of Hellsing.

Nice vids, anyway.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Orc in the Playground

They only made 13 episodes of Hellsing, total. It's not like they created some ridiculous 100 episodes of ridiculous filler like like anime I could mention.

When a show only has one season anyway, they need to create some sort of resolution. Endings like that aren't innately bad. The fact that there's no coherent ending I can be satisfied with is the problem with, say, the Spice and Wolf anime. Two seasons, no resolution, and no third season in sight.
    Assassin avatar by the awesome Elder Tsofu.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Banned

You might want to put spoiler warnings on those, Soras. Lots of spoilers for the show in the first one at least. Haven't seen the second one yet.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, given but still, they could have... stopped instead of making so much completely different up.
    I can't recall any more distinguished characterization in the old series... if anything the later manga chapters get any. But I dare say character development is not the focus of Hellsing.

Nice vids, anyway.
    I'm not gonna say its particularly good characterization but things like Seras doing some actual investigating as the cop she's nominally supposed to be, the little girl from the latter half, and episodes like the one with the reporter which don't revolve around insane violence are what sold me. Particularly as the manga just gets more and more over the top. Also I feel Seras get developed throughout as the main character, not just the sidekick who gets development late in the manga.

Its not a tremendously good series, but I still think in the old anime they are at least aware of characterization and story while the manga/OVA just laughs maniacally at the idea.

(Mind you I like all three forms well enough)

Quote Originally Posted by 0Megabyte View Post
    They only made 13 episodes of Hellsing, total. It's not like they created some ridiculous 100 episodes of ridiculous filler like like anime I could mention.

When a show only has one season anyway, they need to create some sort of resolution. Endings like that aren't innately bad. The fact that there's no coherent ending I can be satisfied with is the problem with, say, the Spice and Wolf anime. Two seasons, no resolution, and no third season in sight.
    I think that's a good example particularly with the second season of Spice and Wolf. There are any number of elements introduced in that series that don't have any sort of resolution. Which is a shame.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Question about Haruhi. The place I'm watching them lists a Season 1 and a Season 2, so I'm watching them in that order. However, Wikipedia says that parts of season 2 fit in between parts of Season 1, so now I am confused. How am I supposed to watch it?
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Orc in the Playground

There are three schools on Haruhi viewing.

First there's "chronological" where you watch each episode in their order, regardless of when they were first shown, or which season. This is a complicated way to watch it. You should go episode Season one 0-7, season two episode 1, season one 8-10, season two 2-14, season one 11-14.

Second there's "by season" in which you watch the episodes in season one chronologically, and then watch season two, which happens inbetween episodes of season one.

Then there's "original broadcast order," in which you watch episodes 0, 1, 2, 7, 3, 9, 8, 10, 13, 4, 12, 11, 5, and 6. In that order. Then you watch season two as presented. This is more complicated than watching chronologically. It also isn't technically original broadcast order for season two, as season two was first shown during a chronological reshowing of season one. Yeah, it's that kind of show.

Oh, in any case, watch the movie, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, after your preferred method of viewing the series.
    Last edited by 0Megabyte; 2011-07-17 at 11:05 PM.
    Assassin avatar by the awesome Elder Tsofu.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 0Megabyte View Post
    Then there's "original broadcast order," in which you watch episodes 0, 1, 2, 7, 3, 9, 8, 10, 13, 4, 12, 11, 5, and 6. In that order. Then you watch season two as presented. This is more complicated than watching chronologically. It also isn't technically original broadcast order for season two, as season two was first shown during a chronological reshowing of season one. Yeah, it's that kind of show.
    This is the best way - if you watch chronologically, the series ends on an calm anti-climax instead of a grand finale, and all the surprising things that get thrown at you cease to be surprising because most of them were explained before. And, depending on where you get the show from, the episodes might already be put in this order anyway.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

That is confusing. So, using This chart (only the first season, since it's the only way to arrange it), B (Kyon Order) would be the last way, and C (Haruhi order, the way I've been watching) would be the middle way, or the first if I pepper the second season in? I think I'm a little late to start watching the third way since I'm already on Live Alive, though I have not seen The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina yet, because I think it's listed as the last episode of Season 1 where I'm watching it.

Just looking at brief summaries without trying to spoil anything, it seems like by season would be the best way for me to do it right now, because the Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya 5 part episode would probably be a better ending than what Tengu calls the "anti-climax" of the first season finale.

Edit: Just a quick search for the movie, does it not have a dub yet? All I can find are subtitled versions.
    Last edited by Raistlin1040; 2011-07-17 at 11:42 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Orc in the Playground

Edit: Just a quick search for the movie, does it not have a dub yet? All I can find are subtitled versions.
    Should be out in September, I think. Then again, the estimated release date has been changing every month or so since the start of the year, so take that for what it's worth.

Also, it's not dubbed yet, but Puella Magi Madoka Magica is soon getting a dub and a US release. No date given yet, I think, but it shouldn't take too long. And it's awesome, so keep an eye on it. And don't read spoilers. They're evil.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Banned

That's weird. No matter the order you watch in, you should have seen The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina 00 before Live Alive. In both the broadcast order and the chronological order on the DVDs it's the first episode. However, even putting it in it's chronological place it goes right before Live Alive, so I'm really not sure why.

And while the end of Sigh isn't the great climax that Melancholy 6 is, it's still certainly a more climactic end than Someday in the Rain. Still, the movie provides a really good cap to it all. Now we just need to crack the whip over Kyoto Animation and get them to make more.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Halfling in the Playground

So I see I missed a discussion on Madoka by a good month. Drat.

And as for the person who wanted series with good dubs, I can only recommend Baccano! and Welcome to the NHK, going purely by personal experience.

Question for everyone else here: I'm in the middle of watching the second season of K-On!, and I love it so far (though I haven't really been able to watch it the last few days ). Once I'm done with that, can anyone tell me which of these series I should watch first? I'm torn between starting Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and finishing Minami-ke or Princess Tutu, neither of which I have a good start on. If enough people give their opinions, I'll go with the majority vote.

And for the sake of discussion, if it would be of any use to anyone, my favorites are One Piece and Azumanga Daioh (the manga for both), Welcome to the NHK, PMMM, and K-On!!. My least favorites are Darker Than Black: Gemini of the Meteor, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Bleach, Naruto, and School Days.
    Last edited by Everest; 2011-07-18 at 03:44 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    That's weird. No matter the order you watch in, you should have seen The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina 00 before Live Alive. In both the broadcast order and the chronological order on the DVDs it's the first episode. However, even putting it in it's chronological place it goes right before Live Alive, so I'm really not sure why.

And while the end of Sigh isn't the great climax that Melancholy 6 is, it's still certainly a more climactic end than Someday in the Rain. Still, the movie provides a really good cap to it all. Now we just need to crack the whip over Kyoto Animation and get them to make more.
    Ah. I started watching it in one place and got 3 episodes, and then had to start watching somewhere else, so The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina was listed as episode 00. I went back and watched it. I don't think Someday in the Rain was anti-climactic, but I do think I'll put it in Kyon order for when I show it to my girlfriend, since in retrospect, having Melancholy 6 be the ending WOULD be pretty crazy.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Everest View Post
    *snip* Can anyone tell me which of these series I should watch first? I'm torn between starting Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and finishing Minami-ke or Princess Tutu, neither of which I have a good start on. If enough people give their opinions, I'll go with the majority vote.

And for the sake of discussion, if it would be of any use to anyone, my favorites are One Piece and Azumanga Daioh (the manga for both), Welcome to the NHK, PMMM, and K-On!!. My least favorites are Darker Than Black: Gemini of the Meteor, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Bleach, Naruto, and School Days.
    I love me some SZS, but Princess Tutu is up there in my top 5 favorite anime and is criminally underappreciated so I will definitely throw my vote behind it. It does take a little bit to truly get started so give it some time. I guarantee it will be worth it.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    I love me some SZS, but Princess Tutu is up there in my top 5 favorite anime and is criminally underappreciated so I will definitely throw my vote behind it. It does take a little bit to truly get started so give it some time. I guarantee it will be worth it.
    So I've heard. I admit that I only watched two episodes before finding myself enamored with more immediately-entertaining shows, like PMMM. And, dare I admit it, Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? Thing with KZD is, it really was fairly amusing at first, and I laughed a good deal. But then it started taking itself seriously. Bad idea.
    Last edited by Everest; 2011-07-18 at 11:03 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Negima returns!

Spoiler
    Show
    Why do I somehow feel that all of the assembled Ala Rubra is merely a glorified and possibly unnecessary meat shield for Eva? I means seriously three Fates at once and not even breaking a sweat?

Anyways really good action chapter all around. Its weeks like this that makes me really wish the chapters were longer.

And milestone folks, we have at last achieved the much sought 0% Normality rating for class 3-A. And possibly closing in on the 100% Badass rating too.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Banned

Negima
    Spoiler
    Show
    And we have Chisame finally stepping up to the leadership position she was grudgingly heading for! Also, her speech was amusing, given how half of it was listing Asuna's bad traits.

But, yeah, this is a cool chapter and it finds a way from the girls to be useful again. Even if it isn't through punching people in the face. Especially Chisame, Konoka and Zazie. Although, is it 0% normality? I'm not sure I saw Chizuru.
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2011-07-20 at 08:07 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

Negima
    Spoiler
    Show
    ZAZIE, y u no this awesome ALL THE TIME.

Yeah, it's official, Zazie is now 100% my favourite character ever...Because she talks now :D

I'm still upset that Setsuna and Mana didn't have proper longish fight sequences >:

Also Eva is total baller badass.

I love this manga so much :D

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Banned

Negima
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, Setsuna and Mana's fights should have been given more attention. Especially Setsuna given how it ties into her character development, it's not like she's a minor character after all. Even if she isn't as important as Negi, Asuna, Nodoka, Yue and Chisame, the characters who have had the longest and most detailed character arcs.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Negima
    Spoiler
    Show
    And we have Chisame finally stepping up to the leadership position she was grudgingly heading for! Also, her speech was amusing, given how half of it was listing Asuna's bad traits.

But, yeah, this is a cool chapter and it finds a way from the girls to be useful again. Even if it isn't through punching people in the face. Especially Chisame, Konoka and Zazie. Although, is it 0% normality? I'm not sure I saw Chizuru.
    Given I can't keep track of all of 3-A a lot of the time but...

Spoiler
    Show
    Chizuru is right next to the cheerleaders examining petrified-Yuna.

And I can't even remember the cheerleaders names. Ever. Just that the long haired one is the only girl with a steady boyfriend.
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2011-07-20 at 08:50 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Negima
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is it just me, or do we have all the named characters in one place now? Except those who were erased. Okay, most of those.

And yes, it's a pity Setsuna's fight got so little spotlight - she's one of the most important characters (more important than Chisame in my book) and what, the third most powerful fighter apart from the mentors? Second? And yes, I'll keep complaining about this until she gets to do something cool.

I finished Madoka lately. It's a very good show, and I highly recommend it - even though I've heard a lot of spoilers about it, the plot still managed to be very gripping for me. I gotta say, though, while it's nowhere near as dark as TV Tropes paints it, it's also darker than what Terra says about it - literally half of the episodes consist primarily of sad things happening and qb doing his best to make you want to murder him. The ending makes up for that though - it's weird, but I like it more the more I think about it.

Spoiler
    Show