New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Pffh play's: Let's play Singularity: Tomorrows yesterday today.

Welcome to my second lets play and this time I´ve chosen the game Singularity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singula...8video_game%29) on a whim after seeing it on steam during one of it's random sales.

For those of you who like me don't want to read about the game on wikipedia for fear of spoilers here is the steam blurb:
    FIGHT THE PAST TO SAVE THE FUTURE. STOP THE SINGULARITY.

Learn the truth behind a massive cover-up of the catastrophic SINGULARITY, an event that fractured time and threatens the world as we know it. Armed with powerful, advanced weaponry and the experimental Time Manipulation Device, fight enemies from the past, the present, and abominations caught somewhere in between.
    After reading the games blurb I was expecting a quirky and whimsical fps with time travel powers and well so far I've been partially right about the time travel and not so much about the whimsical quirkiness.

In the first three parts I'll be a bit loud since I had tried recording another game for a lets play but had the volume turned so low that I couldn't be heard in the videos so I kinda overdid it when trying to make sure that didn't happen again. I'll also see if I can't find some subtitles for future recording sessions so you have that to look forward to.

Episode guide:

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5
    Part 6
    Part 7
    Part 8

Just as in my last lets play all criticism, comments and suggestions are welcome and in fact if I'm doing something wrong or if something bothers you do comment and I'll try and fix it
    Last edited by pffh; 2011-06-16 at 05:42 PM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Pffh play's: Let's play Singularity: Tomorrows yesterday today.

Glad to see you've started something new! I'm going to check it out soon (I'm studying for end-of-year exams at the moment).
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Part 2 is up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zloqwdUAmCw

A bit more action in this one compared to part 1

Also good news youtube has allowed me to upload videos longer then 15 minutes so I don't need to keep as strict time. This means that annoying ringing sound, which was heard a couple of times in my avp lets play and will be heard in this part or part 3, from my timer going off will hopefully be gone for good.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Part 3 is up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n6KCfeXawI

Finally I get a gun that I don't need to aim

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

I'd missed this. Your voice rocks as hard as ever.

You know, everyone I know who's played this game has been compelled to activate the phones and typewriters multiple times. I think that's the real supernatural phenomenon of the game. I saw one playthrough in which the player obsessively touched every typewriter and every phone he came across.

And.... no, no, that's not the gun you don't need to aim. That comes later.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

I just recently bought and played this while it was on sale. Loved this fun game! It doesn't try to be anything that it's not.

I was also compelled to press every typewriter I found. Normally it goes "ding!", and I move on. There is one typewriter in a room that you can only get in by crawling through the windows that does something different.

Anyone else found this typewriter and know what I'm talking about? It showed a sequence of images of gross/dead things. The sequence really reminded me of the beacon imprint that happens in Mass Effect 1 to commander Shepard.
    Computer use and information blog at:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-41452-Okla...and-Assistance
    Click and comment please. Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MonarchAnarch View Post
    I just recently bought and played this while it was on sale. Loved this fun game! It doesn't try to be anything that it's not.

I was also compelled to press every typewriter I found. Normally it goes "ding!", and I move on. There is one typewriter in a room that you can only get in by crawling through the windows that does something different.

Anyone else found this typewriter and know what I'm talking about? It showed a sequence of images of gross/dead things. The sequence really reminded me of the beacon imprint that happens in Mass Effect 1 to commander Shepard.
    Through a window you say I'll have to keep a lookout for that.

I was going to record stuff this week but then I had to go and lose my voice on monday (damn streps ) but hopefully I'll get something done over the weekend.
    Last edited by pffh; 2011-06-01 at 09:15 AM.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry about your voice bud, hope it comes back soon. Your video's will give me something to do during lunch this week, so thanks. :)

I do not recall how far into the game this room was, probably about halfway to 3/4's of the way through. It's a typical office where the door is locked but the windows are broken. You'll be lured in by the ever so common e99/ammo boxes/etc. I think even a weapons tech case.

I do remember that the room is in a hallway that turns right at the end, the office is on the left in that hallway, before it turns right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And its in the modern timeline, not during a rift to the past.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

And part 4 is out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zOYWBCZ6wQ

Finally I can talk for more then five seconds without coughing so I went and recorded a couple of episodes.
    I'm not happy about the two gun maximum since that plus the upgrade system will shoehorn people into always using the same two (max three) weapons.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

10. - Top - End - #10

The game pulled off a great scare with the ventilation zombie. It's always great to see a horror FPS live up to the first part of its title.

And yeah, it's a pity the game has such a strict weapon limit, because while it has a good weapon variety some of the guns are too specialized to ever invest E99 in.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah four guns would have been the sweet spot I believe. Make the pistol undroppable and double your ammo capacity for it and that would give you one slot for a mid/long range weapon (probably the machine gun), one slot for a close quarters weapon (probably a shotgun) and one slot for a fun experimental weapon.

But to those that have played the game if I continue using the dice to randomly choose what I upgrade will that place me in a possibly unwinnable position later? That is how important are upgraded weapons compared to non-upgraded weapons?

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

The words in red in ep. 2 mean "Might" and "Power" respectively. I wonder why they didn't do those in English like everything else in the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #13

I think (although I'm not positive) that upgrading weapons is largely a luxury, and you can get by just fine with the unupgraded versions. I've gotten a good bit farther in the game, and I've upgraded the assault rifle and shotgun, but the sniper is still extremely useful when I grab it, despite the lack of upgrades.
    -\==/-
    I always ask a big question on the League thread right before bedtime so I have something to read while trying to wake up.
    Responses of any sort are wonderful.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like coming up with concepts for characters, and will do so often. But writing up crunch, especially for anything that isn't level 1, takes me a while, and after wasting lots of time writing unused characters on Mythweavers, I generally don't make a sheet unless a DM really likes the concept. Sorry.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The words in red in ep. 2 mean "Might" and "Power" respectively. I wonder why they didn't do those in English like everything else in the place.
    Propably trying to be "cool" and "edgy" but I think most games with settings in a non-english area have at least some non-english word in non-english instead of english. Wow that's a garbled sentence...

Anyway Part 5 is out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vksD9VOIRNk

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Yeah four guns would have been the sweet spot I believe. Make the pistol undroppable and double your ammo capacity for it and that would give you one slot for a mid/long range weapon (probably the machine gun), one slot for a close quarters weapon (probably a shotgun) and one slot for a fun experimental weapon.

But to those that have played the game if I continue using the dice to randomly choose what I upgrade will that place me in a possibly unwinnable position later? That is how important are upgraded weapons compared to non-upgraded weapons?
    Always have the assault rifle. It's got plentiful ammo, and is definitely worth upgrading as much as possible. Other than that:

The shotgun is pointless after you get the TMD. The pistol is pointless the moment you get another weapon. The sniper rifle is pointless except in a couple more open combat arenas, where they're almost always to be found lying about. The railgun is pointless, it takes far too long between shots. The grenade launcher is actually worth having for offing larger, more difficult enemies. The autocannon is also definitely worth carrying.

Basically I beat the game using the assault rifle/weapon I didn't use until I got the autocannon. Then I went assault rifle/autocannon and used whatever I felt like at the moment.

I would definitely grab the increased damage and magazine capacity for the assault rifle, and the the faster reload for the autocannon. I'm not really sure anything else matters, because most of the other guns are so situational as to not be worth carrying. Besides which if you're reasonably thorough about picking up E99 tech, you're so positively swimming in upgrades by the last chunk of the game it gets a lot easier.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Minigun + Time distortion = easy mode when it comes to bosses. But so fun.

I loved the enhanced ammo on the minigun. 300 round clip with 600 stored up? Not much is gonna live through that. lol

17. - Top - End - #17

Do you have a flashlight or something? The entirety of the game is so dark that I can't help but think there's got to be one. Check the controls settings.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Do you have a flashlight or something? The entirety of the game is so dark that I can't help but think there's got to be one. Check the controls settings.
    According to the controls there is no flashlight but there is something called a chrono ping bound to the f key which is usually the flash light key so that might be it. If not I can just up the brightness if the videos are to dark.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

The Chrono-Ping is like the objective guide (or 'pimp stance') in Dead Space 2; it gives you an idea for where you need to go.
    Ask not for whom the wolves howl, they howl for thee.

--- Also known as [GITP] Magentawolf

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowstorm View Post
    The Chrono-Ping is like the objective guide (or 'pimp stance') in Dead Space 2; it gives you an idea for where you need to go.
    Yeah, it's in case you somehow forget which part of the corridor is forwards and which is back. Don't get me wrong I liked Singularity quite a bit, but the fact that Raven thought it necessary to bind a button to this is just a bit depressing.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

edit: browser malfunction led to double post. Sorry 'bout that.
    Last edited by warty goblin; 2011-06-07 at 10:54 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Well to be fair to the developers it did take Pfft about three trips past the double door to realize he could enter it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toric View Post
    Well to be fair to the developers it did take Pfft about three trips past the double door to realize he could enter it.
    It's Pffh () and I should not be the person that direction systems are modeled for since I can get lost in my own backyard

Anyway part 6 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6jKUVDY8vk ) is out and as it says in the description the sound goes a bit funny in the last few minutes

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

24. - Top - End - #24

The blue teleporting guys' uniforms say "spetsnaz", the Russian special forces. The teleporting, that's not from E-99.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Part 7 is out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBnsXl9xOtc

I was getting kinda tired but fun was renewed as soon as I got the TMD

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

26. - Top - End - #26

The Seeker.

That is the gun you do not have to aim. Because you are the bullet. It's awesome when you can use it, too bad it shows up so few times.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toric View Post
    The Seeker.

That is the gun you do not have to aim. Because you are the bullet. It's awesome when you can use it, too bad it shows up so few times.
    I adore the Seeker. Camping out behind a crate and steering bullets into a horde of bad guys is definitely one of the strongest moments in the game, particularly in some of the larger levels where you can really fly around in bullet-mode.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled