New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Examples of More-Or-Less CR-accurate Mid-level Bruisers?

So I'm working on a bit of brew and I'm aiming for it being somewhat close to properly built for the general CR I'm aiming for, haven't really settled on where, thinking 7-10.

Of course, with how borked the CR system is, I'm not quite sure what to take as good examples as a basis of comparison in that general range.

Are the giants generally about as spot on as WOTC could afford?

I'm particularly interested in non-core examples to look into, as while I have access to most of the library given time, I don't relish going through them all one by one without some guidance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Examples of More-Or-Less CR-accurate Mid-level Bruisers?

For MM giants, I find they tend to be a tad underpowered for their cr, namely because their AC is too low (even for a bruiser).

You may want to look at MM3, more specifically, the mountain troll (which is basically a huge fire giant) or the sand giant (a fire giant with better defenses).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I can never understand WOTC's reasoning; taking RAW as a whole is like grabbing a book filled with fortune cookie sayings and basing your life off of them.
    My humble efforts at re-cr'ing MM2
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215727

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Examples of More-Or-Less CR-accurate Mid-level Bruisers?

MM3, you say? That's conveniently one of the ones I've got better access to. Mostly thanks to loving them fleshrakers.

That reminds me, actually, what do y'all think of the Bloodhulk family?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide