New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Inphidian Strikes Back: Let's Read Tome of Horrors II

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    Congratulations. I now have to buy this book, if only for the Dungeon Dragon.
    Indeed. The dungeon dragon managed to actually become the cover boy for the 3rd-Party Pathfinder book of templates, even:
    Spoiler
    Show

Speaking of Pathfinder, Bestiary 3 will apparently have more traditional "savage" cyclopes, Sleipner, kappas, Chinese/Imperial dragons, and kaiju in it. Curse you for keeping me spending money on a rules system I don't use just because I love the fluff and beautiful artwork, Paizo.

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Also, with all the creatures related to the City of Brass module - doesn't that module have its own monsters? You'd think that book would have made better use of all these related creatures.
    I think the main purpose was a bit of cross-promotion. More people would have been likely to purchase the second ToH over a title based around the City of Brass.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elusa Hound
    Used in spellcaster-to-spellcaster rivalries as well as inquisitions, the wolf-like elusa hounds are CR 3 Magical Beasts with the purpose of hunting down magic users. They work just as you'd expect: they can "smell" magical auras and track them as if they were normal scents. Beyond that, there's not really much to say about them. The elusa hound is one of those monsters that is very malleable to what your campaign world and its perception to spellcasters are like.

Encephalon Gorger
    The first Tome of Horrors brought us non-Product Identity equivalents of the slaadi and [URL="http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8434589&postcount=143"]yuan-ti[/URL. Here, we are given the same treatment for the illithids. Encephalon gorgers are Aberrations, breed in underground cranial fluid-drenched pools, have strong mental power, keep slaves/thralls/food, and eat brains. The major differences are the strength levels (thanks to their ability to speed itself up by drinking adrenal fluid, the gorger is slightly higher at CR 10) and the dressing of it all; while we all know and love the flayers as squid-headed freaks of nature, the encephalon gorgers look like like a vampiric Gene Simmons.

Fear Guard
    CR 5 Chaotic Evil incorporeal undead that can induce fear, create spawn, and deal Wisdom damage. Where have I heard this setup before?
    Last edited by Rappy; 2011-07-22 at 05:31 PM.
    LGBTitP

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rappy View Post
    Fear Guard
    CR 5 Chaotic Evil incorporeal undead that can induce fear, create spawn, and deal Wisdom damage. Where have I heard this setup before?
    I don't know; Allips are Neutral Evil, after all.

3. - Top - End - #33

Fire Crab
    Because, when all else fails, put the damn crabs on fire! That'll show 'em. Vermin native to the Elemental Plane of Fire, fire crabs come in two forms: the Small CR 1/2 lesser fire crab and Large CR 3 greater fire crab. Both exude heat from their shells and have vice-like grips that deal both constriction and fire damage. They are said to dwell in volcanic lakes and rivers of liquid fire, so...do with them what you will, I guess. Seriously, what is up with the Plane of Fire? Is its ecology just "Earth's oceans, but in lava!"?

Fire Phantom
    Oh, hey, I saw the cinder ghoul too.

Fire Whale
    Also known as the burning leviathan, fire whales are the icing on the "liquid SPACE!! fire works like liquid water" cake. They are CR 10 Magical Beasts that are basically baleen whales that happen to be able to swim in lava and spray scalding hot air out of their blowholes. Again, I'm not quite sure I understand the Plane of Fire's ecology. At all.
    Last edited by Rappy; 2011-07-04 at 12:26 AM.
    LGBTitP

4. - Top - End - #34

Flea, Giant
    CR 1/2 cat-sized fleas...gyeh. Even thinking about them makes me itch. While their blood drain isn't exactly an impressive amount, they can transmit any non-supernatural disease, and they tend to hang out in thick clusters or even huge swarms, so fighting just one giant flea is unlikely. Indeed, even fighting a group of giant fleas alone is unlikely, as they're pretty much always encountered as hitchhikers on giant warm-blooded animals such as dire bears and rocs.

Fulgurate Mushroom
    A CR 4 hazard, the fulgurate mushroom emits 3d6 electricity damage when you come in contact with it, or 6d6 if it's hit by a cold effect. Not quite sure why this is in the main text, rather than a sidebar or an appendix, but whatever.

Fungoid
    Fungoids are CR 3 Plants which vaguely resemble Swamp Thing and live in groups of 2 to 10 that spend each night roaming miles away from home to find food to bring back to their mushroom-studded lair. What is that food, you might ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Tome of Horrors II
    Fungoids delight in attacking creatures that wander too close to their lair. Fungoids are carnivores and consider the flesh of humans, elves, and goblins a delicacy. When food is scarce, fungoids become scavengers and feed on carrion.
    Yep. Human and elf: still the "other" other white meats.
    Last edited by Rappy; 2011-07-08 at 10:42 PM.
    LGBTitP

5. - Top - End - #35

Fyr
    Now you can have your very own pygmy satyr for the low, low price of Level Adjustment +2! It slices, it dices, it travels around with dire goats!

Seriously though, fyr are a CR 2 (and, as mentioned above, LA +2) Fey that resemble gnome-sized satyrs with the features of an ibex instead of a goat. As their ibex features suggest, they are nomadic mountain-dwellers that rarely stay in the same place for long. They are master jewelers that trade their craft with druids, treants, elves, gnomes, and halflings, as well as humans and dwarves when they feel generous. Of course, as with most nature-folk, they hate orcs and goblinoids. In addition to naturey spell-like abilities, spell resistance, damage reduction bypassed by iron, the ability to speak with animals, and such general nature feyness, the fyr have an interesting extra ability tied into their mystical nature and craftsmanship: namely, they can attune any weapon to make it a +1 masterwork weapon as long as they hold it. In this way, you could almost make them out to be spirits of war as well as nature, or some sort of aspect of elemental metal.

Gallows Tree
    Basically the hangman tree crossed with the yellow musk creeper.

Gallows Tree Zombie
    The plant-zombies made by the gallows tree. They have slowness-inducing spore blasts and, as long as they are connected to the gallows tree by a bungee cord-like vine, fast healing.
    Last edited by Rappy; 2011-07-22 at 05:28 PM.
    LGBTitP

6. - Top - End - #36

Gelid Beetle
    Monstrous beetles getting boring? Spice them up by giving them the Magical Beast type and a cold aura!

...Or, you know, just apply an elemental template to an already-existing giant beetle. It'd probably be more interesting.

Geon
    The enimatic geons are basically boulders with legs and faces, given some sort of task by an unnammed earth deity that they won't hesitate to use force to keep going. They are very much a blank slate monster as far as fluff goes, so we're basically obligated to look at their game mechanics. First off, it's worthy of note that geons can somehow wield weapons in its feet and still keep stable. That's pretty impressive, considering that in such a case you'd basically have a geon balancing on one foot-hand while swinging a sword around in the other. Their magical abilities are what you'd expect, with earth-themed spells such as wall of stone and transmute rock to mud, as well as the ability to animate rocks in a way similar to how treants animate...well, trees. They are also immune to electricity, slightly resistant to fire, and vulnerable to cold, so there's that. All in all, a mechanically solid (no pun intended) CR 9 elemental that needs a bit of love and attention to craft it into something specific for your campaign.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only two entries today, again, because the next set of entries are a group category like the dragons.
    LGBTitP

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

What is it with these compilation of monsters meant to be old school and just making infinite variants of beetles? It's like they think they're evolution or something.*

Also, the Geon's are just weird. What possible use could you ever have for them? Other than the comedy of seeing them flail weapons around with their toes while trying to keep their balance, at least.

*Around 40% of all known species of insects are varieties of beetles.

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Also, the Geon's are just weird. What possible use could you ever have for them? Other than the comedy of seeing them flail weapons around with their toes while trying to keep their balance, at least.
    Well, given how the fluff that is there talks, it sounds like they're the agents of the earth gods (they tell a geon to do something, they go out and do it). Plus the Animate Boulders ability when combined with Freeze (DC 30 Spot check to tell that it isn't really a rock) could basically mean it keeps on animating geons while being undetected itself.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

I mean, what narrative purpose could they serve? They work for vague goals for vague entities that might not even exist in a given setting and the only other thing known about their habits is that they can use weapons with their feet. I don't really care as much for the tactical usages, I don't play 3.5 but even if I did I'd go for narrative role over mechanical one when choosing monsters, and they just seem baffling outside that.

10. - Top - End - #40

I mean, what narrative purpose could they serve? They work for vague goals for vague entities that might not even exist in a given setting and the only other thing known about their habits is that they can use weapons with their feet. I don't really care as much for the tactical usages, I don't play 3.5 but even if I did I'd go for narrative role over mechanical one when choosing monsters, and they just seem baffling outside that.
    Hence why they need a little tinkering for personal use. I can see where they might be useful, though, such as:
    • Using them as elemental guardians of stone, sort of like treants are for plants. Dwarves beware!
    • Have them be fanatical servants of the giants, possibly even going so far as to be living projectiles for the truly massive ones.
    • Emulate Rockbiter from The Neverending Story, just 'cause.
    Last edited by Rappy; 2011-08-04 at 07:30 PM.
    LGBTitP

11. - Top - End - #41
    Banned

Be those underground boulder people from that old Uncle Scrooge story, who compete to see who can create the biggest earthquaks. I know that I would find it funny, at least.

12. - Top - End - #42

Giant, Cave
    Love 'em or hate 'em, it's hard to deny the cultural impact of giants. We have the trolls under the bridge, the town giants of the United Kingdom, the cannibal ogres of Native American lore, and various gigantic humanoid-shaped nursery bogies from all over the world, just to name a few. It should come as no surprise, then, that like its predecessor, this title has full-fledged giants in it. The first of these is the cave giant, a massive brute standing eye-to-eye with the mighty storm giants.

The CR 9 cave giants resemble oversized versions of Neanderthals, and have the attitudes of your stereotypical B-movie "cavemen" as well: they live in caves, are dumb as a rock (Int 4, even less than the hill giant!), eat raw food they hunt in the mountains, can't even use fire, and rule their clans through brute force. Still, the idea of an evolutionary throwback for giants has potential, and their combat abilities are definitely noteworthy. While they don't get rock throwing as most true giants do, cave giants can trample opponents (something all three of the giants in this book have the ability to do, actually) or grapple opponents before utilizing them as bludgeons.

Giant, Ferrous
    These 20-foot titans are quite metal...literally. They are giants made out of pliable iron, and live solitary lives out in the wilderness as they forge weapons to pass the time. They seem more of a quest creature than anything else, in the manner of "hey, you want this fancy weapon? Go find the crotchety reclusive giant that lives out in the dangerous wilderness and convince him to make it". Of course, that's not to say that a ferrous giant can't hold its own in combat; after all, it's a CR 17 creature for a reason. In addition to the trample and pound abilities shared by the cave giant, ferrous giants have an immunity to mind-influencing effects and metal-themed spell-like abilities to back them up in battle.

Giant, Volcano
    Volcano giants have both the Earth and Fire subtypes, a breath weapon, the aforementioned trample ability, and are tribal. Other than that, there's not really that much besides the Huge size that differentiates them from fire giants as far as their role goes. I could be wrong and just too tired to pay attention, though.
    LGBTitP

13. - Top - End - #43

Gloom Crawler
    Magical cave-dwelling land squid. Eh.

Golem, Furnacec
    Looking like something you'd expect to see out of the Black Cauldron and capable of immolating people within their own bulk or spewing forth flames, the gigantic suit of armor-shaped furnace golems are CR 14 golems created...to be treasure guards. Huh. I'm not sure if it's just me noting the obvious or thinking outside of the box, but wouldn't furnace golems be great tools for colonizing polar regions of a given world? They could act as walking never-dimming campfires, warming encampments and forts, as well as using their breath weapon as a defense against cold-aligned creatures.

Golem, Iron Maiden
    Yes, this exists. A CR 9 horrific shambling iron maiden, capable of impaling beings inside of it all Inquisitorius-style. Iron maiden golems have no real special attacks like many golems, but they make up for it by being able to steal energy and abilities from the zombified corpses of those they impale. Yes, the iron maiden golem runs on energy from soylent green zombie torture. Oddly enough, there is no explanation for why the iron maiden golem exists, like there is for pretty much every other golem in the Tome of Horrors series. It could be that they are just made by bored necromancers for the kicks, but what if they really are inquisitorial weapons? A fanatical group of crusaders might find the fact that they animate the undead forgivable since they also torture them, and the undead in question are made from the bodies of their enemies...ends justifying the means and all that.
    LGBTitP

14. - Top - End - #44
    Banned

The perpetual fire in Furnace Golems really does seem to have a lot of uses. What about melting just the right bits of snow to cause avalanches or clear roads? Also, using them as forges for small to mid-sized objects seems obvious. Really, make them treasure guardians is just about the worst usage you can find as far as I can tell.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The perpetual fire in Furnace Golems really does seem to have a lot of uses. What about melting just the right bits of snow to cause avalanches or clear roads? Also, using them as forges for small to mid-sized objects seems obvious. Really, make them treasure guardians is just about the worst usage you can find as far as I can tell.
    Oh please, I can find a ton of worse ones.
    Guardians of your ice.
    Matron of the orphanarium.
    Table.
    Bathroom Attendant.
    Emergency pants.

Ok, off of that topic. I like the Ferrous Giant, simply due to the fact that it is different enough from most giants to be semi unique. Most giants/titans are so bland they just blend together to the point I can't remember the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Fire Phantom
    Oh, hey, I saw the cinder ghoul too.
    I think this guy (from the name, at least) is a conversion of a 1E Fiend Folio creature. Hey, at least now we have something for the "fiery humanoid shape" version of Dancing Lights to emulate! [edit]I think I was actually getting mixed up with the Phantom Stalker.[/edit]
    Flea, Giant
    CR 1/2 cat-sized fleas...gyeh. Even thinking about them makes me itch. While their blood drain isn't exactly an impressive amount, they can transmit any non-supernatural disease, and they tend to hang out in thick clusters or even huge swarms, so fighting just one giant flea is unlikely. Indeed, even fighting a group of giant fleas alone is unlikely, as they're pretty much always encountered as hitchhikers on giant warm-blooded animals such as dire bears and rocs.
    You fight quite a few giant fleas (especially as random encounters) in the ToEE computer game. Amusingly, they use a mini version of the umber hulk model for them. Nasty and annoying, especially since they usually cause a disease after a bite.

---

The Iron Maiden Golem sounds like a must have in any heavy metal-themed game.

17. - Top - End - #47

GnomeWizardGuy

Giant, Volcano
    "...when suddenly, you are ambushed by a wandering band of Giant Volcanos!"

"Wait what? How do you get ambushed by volcanos?! What do they even look like?"

"They look like... oh, wait. Then aren't Giant Volcanos, they are Volcano Giants. Tall, giant humanoids with volcanos on their heads."

"You know what? The wandering Giant Volcanos were more interesting."

Golem, Iron Maiden
    Let me guess, they are made out of heavy metal and crafted by Bards?
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I think this guy (from the name, at least) is a conversion of a 1E Fiend Folio creature. Hey, at least now we have something for the "fiery humanoid shape" version of Dancing Lights to emulate! [edit]I think I was actually getting mixed up with the Phantom Stalker.[/edit]
    Yep, definitely the phantom stalker you were thinking of.

You fight quite a few giant fleas (especially as random encounters) in the ToEE computer game. Amusingly, they use a mini version of the umber hulk model for them. Nasty and annoying, especially since they usually cause a disease after a bite.
    D'aww, miniature umber hulks sound kind of cute.

Let me guess, they are made out of heavy metal and crafted by Bards?
    *Rimshot*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Golem, Magnesium
    The CR 6 magnesium golem's a bit of an odd duck, being both human-sized and capable of human speeds when moving, making it a more quick and subtle...if you can call a walking silver Oscar subtle...golem as opposed to the bash-n'-smash tactics of iron and clay golems. Speaking of iron golems, like the iron maiden golem, the magnesium golem shared the iron golem's rust vulnerability. It also has a sickness-inducing aura and fists that can punch the Dexterity right out of you at 1d4 points per failed save. While their purpose is undocumented, they definitely seem like they'd be good assassination tools, assuming you can cover up their gaudy color with a good illusion spell.

The stat block also has a note on anodized magnesium golems. Basically, take a magnesium golem, soak it in acid, and zap it with electricity spells. Tada! You now have a rust-immune magnesium golem. Hmm, I can't help but think that'd be an interesting principle to extend to iron golems as well. After all, if we're pilfering a chemical reaction for one golem, why not apply it to another?

Golem, Ooze
    Remember those tubs of goo that you can buy in dollar stores? Yeah, I can't help but imagine these golems being like giant buckets of that. Still, at CR 8, these creations of the clerics of Jubilex aren't exactly kid's toys. With fast healing, inability to be flanked due to their odd forms, acidic bodies, and corrosive death throes, ooze golems are definitely challenging enemies in the collection of servitors to the Faceless Lord.

Golem, Rope
    Our final golem is this one. Yes, as its name implies, this CR 5 golem is made of rope. It is vulnerable to fire, and not really that statistically impressive, but I've got to give it some credit. After all, what other golem whips out its noose-hands to play hangman with adventurers?
    LGBTitP

19. - Top - End - #49

GnomeWizardGuy

Golem, Magnesium
    The CR 6 magnesium golem's a bit of an odd duck, being both human-sized and capable of human speeds when moving, making it a more quick and subtle...if you can call a walking silver Oscar subtle...golem as opposed to the bash-n'-smash tactics of iron and clay golems [...] It also has a sickness-inducing aura and fists that can punch the Dexterity right out of you at 1d4 points per failed save.
    Is this supposed to be some kind of chemistry joke I'm not getting? When I think magnesium, I think fire and going pop when exposes to water. I don't think quickness, subtlety, or making people sick.

Also, how the heck is someone from medievia and without modern industrial techniques going to get their hands on pure magnesium, anyways?

The stat block also has a note on anodized magnesium golems. Basically, take a magnesium golem, soak it in acid, and zap it with electricity spells. Tada! You now have a rust-immune magnesium golem. Hmm, I can't help but think that'd be an interesting principle to extend to iron golems as well. After all, if we're pilfering a chemical reaction for one golem, why not apply it to another?
    Won't work. Anodizing works with magnesium and aluminum because the material naturally coats itself with a layer of "rust" that prevents the rest of the material from being effective. All anodizing does is make this layer deeper, so that minor scuffs and dents are less likely to break through that layer and allow corrosion deeper in the metal.

Iron rust actually helps the rate of rusting, so attempting to anodize it would simply cause problems. For iron, you want to use galvanization or galvanic anodes.

Golem, Rope
    Our final golem is this one. Yes, as its name implies, this CR 5 golem is made of rope. It is vulnerable to fire, and not really that statistically impressive, but I've got to give it some credit. After all, what other golem whips out its noose-hands to play hangman with adventurers?
    Combine this with an assassin vine, and you have the perfect setup for every japanese adult cartoon out there.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The full set is here.

original image

20. - Top - End - #50

Iron rust actually helps the rate of rusting, so attempting to anodize it would simply cause problems. For iron, you want to use galvanization or galvanic anodes.
    Yeah, I more meant the process than the specifics. Namely, because I forgot about galvanization for a moment.
    LGBTitP

21. - Top - End - #51

GnomeWizardGuy

Ironically enough, giving the golem zinc boots should make it immune to rust attempts, at least until the boots rust away.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The full set is here.

original image

22. - Top - End - #52

Grave Risen
    Created by the blood of a spellcaster being spilled over a buried a corpse, grave risen are CR 4 Undead with claws that deal blood poisoning and the ability to animate skeletons and zombies to aid them. For the most part, grave risen are actually pretty content to just chill out in their resting place, enjoying the, and I quote, "serenity of death that lingers in the air". Okaaaaay...

Erm, anyway, the only time the grave risen get particularly ornery is when those pesky mortal lifeforms happen to bumble along and disturb their Undead Zen or whatever you'd call it. Oddly enough, in spite of their reverence for their own state of undeath, a living creature killed by the grave risen has its body mutilated and unceremoniously buried. Odd, that.

Grimstalker
    Oh hey, another Fey! Yay! The grimstalker (known by others of its kind as the banaan) is specifically a CR 5 Fey that resemble claw-bearing elves made out of wood. They are feared and revered as expert assassins, their claws leaking with poison and their control of plants allowing them to control things such as scythe or hangman trees to do their bidding. They aren't particularly fond of people entering their woods, either, so pretty much the only individuals that aren't attacked by grimstalkers are evil Druids.

Gutslug
    A CR 3 worm-like Aberration with blood drain. Eh, it's kinda uninteresting as presented.
    Last edited by Rappy; 2011-09-09 at 06:52 PM.
    LGBTitP

23. - Top - End - #53

Hanged Man
    Unsurprisingly, the CR 3 hanged men are undead who wrongfully died by, you guessed it, experimental surgery.

Seriously though, they've got some rope-dragging tricks, but hanged men aren't anything to really write home about as-is. Eh.

Helix Moth
    Acid-spewing giant moths. Eh.

Hoar Spirit
    The undead apparition of one who died from extreme cold. It does pretty much what you'd expect. It is worthy of note, however, that there appears to be a bit of a Take That in the imagery: namely, the illustrated hoar spirit is that of an elven warrior wearing the stereotypical "chainmail bikini".
    LGBTitP

24. - Top - End - #54

Just bumping this to state that the Let's Read isn't dead, but a lot of stuff has been going on in my life, and the general lack of response means I'm not really going to justify forcing myself to churn out a post here when my mood would be better suited trying to attain happiness.
    LGBTitP

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Grave Risen
    Created by the blood of a spellcaster being spilled over a buried a corpse, grave risen are CR 4 Undead with claws that deal blood poisoning and the ability to animate skeletons and zombies to aid them. For the most part, grave risen are actually pretty content to just chill out in their resting place, enjoying the, and I quote, "serenity of death that lingers in the air". Okaaaaay...

Erm, anyway, the only time the grave risen get particularly ornery is when those pesky mortal lifeforms happen to bumble along and disturb their Undead Zen or whatever you'd call it. Oddly enough, in spite of their reverence for their own state of undeath, a living creature killed by the grave risen has its body mutilated and unceremoniously buried. Odd, that.
    I like undead and I like variety, so I'm yoinking this one to use in the future. Also, you may disagree, but I really do like the concept they've got going on for these guys and their Undead Zen. I'd just strip the part where they attack people or mutilate corpses and bury them unceremoniously, and they're good to go.

Grimstalker
    Oh hey, another Fey! Yay! The grimstalker (known by others of its kind as the banaan) is specifically a CR 5 Fey that resemble claw-bearing elves made out of wood. They are feared and revered as expert assassins, their claws leaking with poison and their control of plants allowing them to control things such as scythe or hangman trees to do their bidding. They aren't particularly fond of people entering their woods, either, so pretty much the only individuals that aren't attacked by grimstalkers are evil Druids.
    I am so tired of evil fey. So tired.

Hanged Man
    Unsurprisingly, the CR 3 hanged men are undead who wrongfully died by, you guessed it, experimental surgery.

Seriously though, they've got some rope-dragging tricks, but hanged men aren't anything to really write home about as-is. Eh.
    Those mad doctors will never, ever learn.

Hoar Spirit
    The undead apparition of one who died from extreme cold. It does pretty much what you'd expect. It is worthy of note, however, that there appears to be a bit of a Take That in the imagery: namely, the illustrated hoar spirit is that of an elven warrior wearing the stereotypical "chainmail bikini".
    I find the mental image incredibly hilarious and will most definitely use it in the future. I do wonder if I can actually play it for drama rather than easy comedy...

Just bumping this to state that the Let's Read isn't dead, but a lot of stuff has been going on in my life, and the general lack of response means I'm not really going to justify forcing myself to churn out a post here when my mood would be better suited trying to attain happiness.
    I don't know how receptive you are to constructive criticism, but if you would care for a suggestion, a potential reason you aren't getting much responses is because your wit has been in decline lately. I mean, sure, there might be a percentage of people who read this to know what the book is about, but I assure you that a great deal of readers (like me) come here for the witty MSTing of the book's contents, which you're rather good at. Feel free to vent your frustrations on the book in the wittiest way you can. That will help you regain your readership.
    Last edited by Shadowknight12; 2011-10-17 at 08:08 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Banned

Another reason I believe that comments might have been dropping off is that these last few monsters aren't the most inspiring. There just doesn't seem to be much oddness to really focus on and they don't quite write the snark themselves the way some of the more bizarre critters have done in the past.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I'm inspired. Use a Rope Golem with 2 Hanged Men in either "hand" and have him remain still until the undead are destroyed. Or it could use readied actions to pull or push the undead in and out of combat.

PC: "I'll fire my last flaming arrow at Undead #1." *rolls*
    PC: "Rolled an 18! That's 26 to hit!"
    DM: "*YOINK!* *CRACK!* The Hanged Man seems to fly violently to one side, away from the flaming arrow with a grotesque cracking sound coming from its neck."
    PC: "...****..."

Once everything is resolved, the Golem rises up to claim new victims, or use the immobile corpses to bash the PC's heads open when they're busy looting.
    I envision a Rope Golem as 2 pieces of simple rope coiled around one another with at least 2 nooses coming from the coils. At least that's how I would fluff it if I'm wrong on how they actually look.
    Last edited by Chained Birds; 2011-10-17 at 09:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Another reason I believe that comments might have been dropping off is that these last few monsters aren't the most inspiring. There just doesn't seem to be much oddness to really focus on and they don't quite write the snark themselves the way some of the more bizarre critters have done in the past.
    This. I enjoy reading this thread, but the last few monster entries haven't had much to comment on.

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowknight12 View Post
    I don't know how receptive you are to constructive criticism, but if you would care for a suggestion, a potential reason you aren't getting much responses is because your wit has been in decline lately. I mean, sure, there might be a percentage of people who read this to know what the book is about, but I assure you that a great deal of readers (like me) come here for the witty MSTing of the book's contents, which you're rather good at. Feel free to vent your frustrations on the book in the wittiest way you can. That will help you regain your readership.
    It's possible. I've been having to be at the hospital for my grandmother 90% of most days, and sleeping for the other 10%, and my chronic depression's been creeping back.

You have a good idea, though; I've heard before that venting in writing form both helps the writing and the writer, and I'll freely admit I've been brooding. So yeah, thanks for your constructive criticism and commentary...and y'all too, Thurbane, Terra, and Chained Birds.

My grandmother went through feeding tube insertion without any complications yesterday, so I think I'll try and see what I can do with the next five monsters. Yes, five. We've reached another case of "the third monster is in a named set".
    LGBTitP

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

It's possible. I've been having to be at the hospital for my grandmother 90% of most days, and sleeping for the other 10%, and my chronic depression's been creeping back.

You have a good idea, though; I've heard before that venting in writing form both helps the writing and the writer, and I'll freely admit I've been brooding. So yeah, thanks for your constructive criticism and commentary...and y'all too, Thurbane, Terra, and Chained Birds.

My grandmother went through feeding tube insertion without any complications yesterday, so I think I'll try and see what I can do with the next five monsters. Yes, five. We've reached another case of "the third monster is in a named set".
    I most definitely hope your grandmother and yourself get well soon. I'm glad I could help and I look forward to the atrocities to come.