New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default NonMagic Items: A Fledgling idea for Low Level PCs

Hi all, my name is Time and this is my first ever homebrew idea. Please t' meetcha. I started weightlifting recently and bought myself a belt for back support, which gave me the idea of making one in DnD, I was thinking...

Belt of Lifting
    While wearing the Belt of Lifting you have +2 to your Strength when determining your carrying capacity
    5 GP (?)

Something easy, cheap, and nonmagic which provides low level characters a small boost to some otherwise overlooked capabilities. +2 str for carrying isn't that great but at level 2 you aren't exactly flooded with Belt options.

So, any ideas? Got an item that fits the pattern? It should ideally be:
    A) Low-level
    B) Cheap
    C) Nonmagical
    D) Provide a minor bonus to an unimportant aspect
    E) Interesting, or at least Logical (support belt helps you lift weights, etc...)

Let's brew!
    Last edited by TimeWizard; 2011-08-10 at 01:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: NonMagic Items: A Fledgling idea for Low Level PCs

This seems like a good idea, but the belt should be at least 40 GP, 5 is just not enough for something that useful, but the concept is good.

What about an easy reference book made for one kind of Knowledge check, giving you the "+2 bonus for having the perfect tool for the job." prolly cost about 20 GP, a well written refence book only for 1 Knowledge skill.

How about Climber's Gloves, rougher pads to help you hold on better, +2 bonus, 30 GP prolly.

Just keeping the ideas flowing. Good stuff man.

I believe that the darkness reminds us what light can be

My Extended Homebrew Signature

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Already gotcha covered. Masterwork tools, can be bought for any skill, provide a +2 bonus to said skill. There's your reference book and climbing gloves all in one. Not sure of the price on those.
    Countdown To Zombie Apocalypse 99
    when you first see this, copy this into your signature and subtract 1 from it.

If you can't do it with a sword, do it with a fireball. If you can't do it with a fireball, it isn't worth doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Afternoon Cptn. View Post
    Wield two lances and ride the Kool Aid Man

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Immonen View Post
    Already gotcha covered. Masterwork tools, can be bought for any skill, provide a +2 bonus to said skill. There's your reference book and climbing gloves all in one. Not sure of the price on those.
    That is what I was going for, just giving them a tangible name and form to help the visualization.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by ObliviMancer View Post
    How about Climber's Gloves, rougher pads to help you hold on better, +2 bonus
    Assassin's Creed Brotherhood anyone? :)Ok, so tools for skills are taken care of. Any non-skill things? How about...

Handy Bag of Sutures + Tourniquets
    +2 to stabilize dying ally

Warm Padding
    +2 to fortitude checks to resist cold weather

Comfortable Shoe Inserts
    +2 to resist fatigue during forced march

keep 'em flowing, homebrew crew!

*Also, these should be really affordable, designed here as minor perks for low level characters who don't want to wait to get the cool magic stuff.
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Ooooh! How about Weighted boots? +4 vs. trip attempts, -5ft. movement.

Metal Thread Cloak: DR 2/adamantine or magic, after taking said kind of damage tears and becomes useless.

Lead Lined Helmet: +1 vs. mind affecting effects, immunity to Detect alignment spells.

Good Luck Charm: +1 luck bonus on one thing once, then shatters and becomes useless.

Ideas!

7. - Top - End - #7

I love the Luck Charm.

Lucky Box of Odds and Ends
    When you reach into the LBOE*, roll a D20. On an 11 or higher, you can pull out a minor item you need but didn't have. It can not be magical or masterwork. Examples: Length of twine, small wrench, an old key, scrap of paper, unsharp pencil, etc... (*Let's call it the Elbow!)

Mischievous Hand Mirror
    You may redirect the one point of Radiant damage you take each day as a ranged touch attack with a range on 20'. You can also check to make sure your hair is in place as a free action.

Echoing Sea Shell of Remembrance
    +1 to saves to comes out of Dazed as long as you can hear the sound of the sea coming from your ESSR

Cool Bracelet
    This Bracelet is really cool. Trade it to someone for +1 on diplomacy checks to reduce a price you two are haggling on.

Pharmaceutical Pamphlet of Information
    +1 to identifying potions

[Script] Ring of Decoding
    +1 to decipher script. Rings of Decoding are made only for one script (such as elvish). You do not get a bonus for using it on a different script, such as an Elvish Ring of Decoding on Dwarvish.

Some of these are a little silly but getting one would be really, really cool. Almost as cool as a Cool Bracelet

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

redirect the one point of Radiant damage you take each day
    What is this? Explain or link please.

Mirrored Off-Hand Glove: +1 bonus on Bluff checks to Feint.

Handful of gravel: Ranged touch attack on target square, doubles movement cost through the square.

Elaborate Hand-Guard: +1 Shield bonus when fighting defensively.

Light-Fingered Gloves: Lined with a weight-reducing alchemical compound, gives +2 circumstance on anything requiring fine manipulation (open lock, sleight of hand, anything else you can think of).

Keep 'em coming!

9. - Top - End - #9

I was trying to think of sources that dealt damage as a form of light. 4th ed has Radiant as a keyword for such things. You could say
    redirect one point of damage that comes from a reflectable source of light, such as a Scorching Ray or Sun Burst.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Arcane Foci: These 2 glass marbles are completely non-magical, but they allow arcanists to focus their energy more effectively. When one is held in each hand, they grant a +1 CL, but after enhancing 5 spell levels in this way, they shatter and become useless.