New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Fractional BAB??

I've seen fractional BAB mentioned several times in threads regarding multiclassing, but I've never seen it explained. I was wondering if anybody could explain this (presumably simple) process to me, or show me where to find a description/explanation of it.

Thanks.
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fractional BAB??

It's from Unearthed Arcana. Give me a minute and I'll see if I can find it on the SRD.

EDIT: I must be looking in the wrong place, because I can't find it on the SRD. It's on pg. 73 of Unearthed Arcana, though. Basically, it means that multiclass characters don't have crazy high saves and stupidly low BAB. For example, without fractional BAB/saves, a Wizard 1 / Sorcerer 1 (don't ask why you'd take that class combo) would have BAB 0 and Will +4. With them, the same character would have BAB 1 (form having 2 levels in BAB 1/2 classes: 1/2 + 1/2 = 1) and Will 3 (the same as you normally would from having 2 levels in a class with good Will). You only get the +2 from having good saves once, but you add all the fractional pieces of your BAB and your saves together to get a much more reasonable whole.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2011-05-30 at 02:59 PM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Each class progresses your BAB by a certain fraction; .5 for classes like Wizard, .75 for ones like Rogue, and 1.0 for ones like Fighter. At each level, add that number to your BAB total, and for the purposes of attack round down to the next whole number.

For example, a Cleric 3 Wizard 2 Fighter 3 would have 2.25 + 1 + 3 = 6.25 BAB.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Cog View Post
    For example, a Cleric 3 Wizard 2 Fighter 3 would have 2.25 + 1 + 3 = 6.25 BAB.
    While correct, this is not the best example, because BAB 6 is what a cleric 3, wizard 2, fighter 3 would have already.

A better example would be Rogue 2, Wizard 1. With normal BAB rules this character has a BAB of +1. Under fractional, it has 1.5+0.5=+2.

Cleric 2/Rogue 2/Druid 2/Bard 2 would normally have a BAB of +4. Under fractional rules, it's +6.

5. - Top - End - #5

Excellent, thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    It's from Unearthed Arcana. Give me a minute and I'll see if I can find it on the SRD.

EDIT: I must be looking in the wrong place, because I can't find it on the SRD. It's on pg. 73 of Unearthed Arcana, though. Basically, it means that multiclass characters don't have crazy high saves and stupidly low BAB. For example, without fractional BAB/saves, a Wizard 1 / Sorcerer 1 (don't ask why you'd take that class combo) would have BAB 0 and Will +4. With them, the same character would have BAB 1 (form having 2 levels in BAB 1/2 classes: 1/2 + 1/2 = 1) and Will 3 (the same as you normally would from having 2 levels in a class with good Will). You only get the +2 from having good saves once, but you add all the fractional pieces of your BAB and your saves together to get a much more reasonable whole.
    Looking at this example, I'm assuming the Saves are fractional as well?
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

It boils down to a little extra complication for a superior BAB system. The only reason not to use it is because you don't want to bother, otherwise it's the way to go.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2011-05-30 at 03:26 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Melayl View Post
    Yes. Getting the +2 only once in each save isn't part of the fractional rules, though; the sample character in UA gets the +2 Fort from both Cleric and Fighter levels.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Silly me. Right you are, Cog. I just checked, and you're right. That's not how we do it (at our table, you get the +2 only from your first class and your first PrC), and I'd forgotten that the rules in the book are different.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The sidebars didn't make it.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cog View Post
    Yes. Getting the +2 only once in each save isn't part of the fractional rules, though; the sample character in UA gets the +2 Fort from both Cleric and Fighter levels.
    Original Fractional BAB article did but the Unearthed Arcana reprint didn't, for whatever reason. Obviously, it makes no sense to get the +2 twice per save since that means multiclassed characters get better saves than singleclassed characters with full good progression. That's just dumb, but default UA printing says nothing against it. Luckily, it's easy enough to implement on your own.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2011-05-30 at 04:48 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

It's a way to gain slightly more BAB from multiclassing, rather than using the whole number BAB increases that the class tables give.

For example, a Rogue has 3/4 BAB. Wizard has 1/2 BAB.
    Under core rules, a Rogue 1/Wizard 1 has +0 BAB, as both have only +0 BAB at level 1.
    Using fractional BAB, a Rogue1/Wizard 1 has .75+.5 or 1.25 BAB, which rounds down to +1.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Original Fractional BAB article did but the Unearthed Arcana reprint didn't, for whatever reason. Obviously, it makes no sense to get the +2 twice per save since that means multiclassed characters get better saves than singleclassed characters with full good progression. That's just dumb, but default UA printing says nothing against it. Luckily, it's easy enough to implement on your own.
    You're right, that's an incredibly stupid way to make it work. I mean, it's how it works without fractional, but really, who uses non-fractional calculation?

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    You're right, that's an incredibly stupid way to make it work. I mean, it's how it works without fractional, but really, who uses non-fractional calculation?
    Most games, probably. I've never used it.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

14. - Top - End - #14

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Melayl View Post
    Excellent, thank you all.

Yes. A good saving throw gives you 2 +1/2 levels basee bonus and a poor save gives you +1/3 levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

They still have, in fact, they have even higher saves.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Those rules really come into play with a few prestige class (with BBA as prerequisite) and the early access to iteratives (and associated feats) in a few builds.

Note that late WotC printings have prestige classes that do not penalise 3/4 BBA (Ordained Champion comes after cleric 4, while older PrC need 5 levels at least, wich is bad for clerics and especially rogues (we're looking at you, assassin)). So fractionnal BBA isn't really how the game was intended.

The only times I wanted that rules was when I was building early entry Arcane Hierophant and early entry Arcane Trickster.

Edit : the saves matter to Master of Shrouds and Thrall of Juiblex. All hail lv4 PrC entry !
    Last edited by Ger. Bessa; 2016-01-08 at 08:44 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

I use fractional BaB but not fractional saves.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    So what sorts of saves does that leave a Necropolitan Dread Necromancer 4/Cleric of Undeath 3/True Necromancer 3/Pale Master 10 with?
    :p