New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Magic Items Of Fishing

Fishing Lure of Fish Attraction
    This fishing lure can cast animal trance (CL 4) centered on itself once per day, except that the spell may only affect fish.

Minor enchantment; CL 4th; Craft Wondrous Item; animal trance; Price 500g

Angler's Rod
    This fishing rod can cast with near-pinpoint accuracy. It has a range similar to that of a javelin.

When aiming, any character casting the rod is treated as using a throwing weapon which they are proficient with. In addition, anyone casting with the rod for fishing purposes is considered to have the Weapon Focus (Fishing Rod) feat.

The angler's rod breaks in half if used in combat.

Medium transmutation; CL 12; Craft Wondrous Item; transformation; price 5000g

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic Items Of Fishing

I'll have to point this thread out to one of my players. His char loves fishing.

What exactly is the purpose of the Angler's Rod though. I can't quite discern it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Basically, you get the line to go exactly where you want it to go.

Otherwise, you'd normally be considered using an item that you're not proficient with, and to cast it where you wanted to, you'd have to make a ranged touch attack against AC 10 (plus or minus a few to take into account things like wind, debris, et al) at -4 (plus dex bonus). This would let you make a ranged touch attack at +1 (plus dex bonus), giving you better accuracy.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I always assumed fishing was a profession check, not an attack roll, so you could just make an item that give large bonuses to profession(fishing)
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The actual catching of the fish is either a Profession (Fisherman) or Survival check, yes. I've always treated actual casting as something separate, however.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

So for instance, if a person said "I catch fish and then make dinner. What happens?" you'd have him make a Profession or Survival check, but if he said "I'm bored. Let's go fishing," you'd have him make an attack roll?

Very interesting. If my players were interested in anything more on teh water than piracy, I'd give these a try.
    Cardinal Ximinez by Mephibosheth
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisqui
    And yes, that is pretty much exactly what she meant. Don Beegles FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
    An appeal to me in this fiendish row - is there? Very well; I heard; I admit, but I have a voice too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Don Beegles
    So for instance, if a person said "I catch fish and then make dinner. What happens?" you'd have him make a Profession or Survival check, but if he said "I'm bored. Let's go fishing," you'd have him make an attack roll?

Very interesting. If my players were interested in anything more on teh water than piracy, I'd give these a try.
    Exactly. It basically depends on the amount of detail my players are willing to go into. If they're just interested in the result, fine. Go with option 1. But if they're interested in the actual roleplaying of fishing (like chatting with someone while fishing with them), I have them make the rolls in option 2.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

nice items, wish i owned that lure in real life! only thing is you'd REALLY have to love fishing for that price, (goldfish aren't made of real gold by the way ;D )
    Finally back after a year without the internet.....
    Three cheers for civilisation!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

Overpriced, but I like the idea. I need to get my masterwork rods enchanted. Darn lack of magic in real life.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

How do Merfolk feel about all this?

What critters would be considered 'fish'?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Freiheit
    How do Merfolk feel about all this?

What critters would be considered 'fish'?
    Considering Animal Trance only works on creatures of the animal type with 1 or 2 intelligence (and this variant, only on fish who fit those requirements), they'd have to be one stupid merfolk in order to get affected by the lure.