New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 The Conductor Bard (Now with more songs!)

hmm...

I think it could do with 8 skill points. As the spell-casting bard always had things like glibness and such (Don't they also have invisibility or something?) to get them out of bad situations caused by bedding the kings daughter, So this non-caster bard should have more skill to give almost the same effect. They seem to have every skill in the book as class skill... removing some things like spellcraft is probably warranted.
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2011-07-16 at 08:23 PM.

My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #32

Whereas I'd be inclined to agree on the 8 skills thing, I'm not so sure about removing spellcraft, these guys ARE magic users after all, they just don't use spells... There are many applications for spellcraft which involve other people's magic, identifying items and understanding existant magical effects and these guys need to know that sort of stuff, including being able to anticipate enemy casters.

EDIT:
    @ NeoSeraph, we ARE missing the (Ex), (Su), (Sp) stuff from these abilities mind you, only just noticed but it's probably a good idea to put these in. I'm pretty sure they're all rather self-explanatory but I reckon they should still be there dude.
    Last edited by Veklim; 2011-07-17 at 08:28 AM.
    All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by.

My homebrews Moloques! Sagacious Defender of the Forge, The Open Palm, Sacred Scourge, The Bastion
    Co-Developer of the Mutant Powers Project:
    World Warper
    Telekineticist and ACFs, Feats, Shadow Hand PrC

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

8+Int skill points, as well as Ex, Sp and Su clarifications, added.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    8+Int skill points, as well as Ex, Sp and Su clarifications, added.
    Ok now that some of these abilites are SLA's, I know which feats I would take (Extended SLA anyone?)

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Ok now that some of these abilites are SLA's, I know which feats I would take (Extended SLA anyone?)
    Well, actually they don't have a duration. (You could argue that it's Concentration + 5 rounds, but since it doesn't require Concentration, I'd doubt it)

And anyway, I already give a free extend at level 13
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-07-17 at 02:35 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Well, actually they don't have a duration. (You could argue that it's Concentration + 5 rounds, but since it doesn't require Concentration, I'd doubt it)

And anyway, I already give a free extend at level 13
    Oops, my bad plus (as far as I know) there is not Extend SLA. But Quicken on the other hand...

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Oops, my bad plus (as far as I know) there is not Extend SLA. But Quicken on the other hand...
    And see, that's just a great use of a horribly over-looked feat. Quickened Song of Swiftness+Song of Hesitation (with Harmony) followed by a charge would be a great way to start any encounter.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

And see, that's just a great use of a horribly over-looked feat. Quickened Song of Swiftness+Song of Hesitation (with Harmony) followed by a charge would be a great way to start any encounter.
    That is (almost) exactly what I was thinking! More the Quickened Song of Swiftness but when combo'ed, ZOMG! it would be funny!

9. - Top - End - #39

Magical Performance
    Prerequisites: Bardic Music class feature, Inspire Fear
    Benefit: You gain the use of two new songs, the Song of Spellpower and the Song of Magical Weakness. Activating either song consumes one of your daily uses of bardic music as normal and lasts as long as a song for you.
    The Song of Spellpower grants your allies (but not you) a bonus to their caster level equal to the bonus your Inspire Battle class feature grants, but it cannot raise their caster level higher than their character level + that bonus. (In other words, if a caster is already boosting his caster level above his character level by some other means, the bonus from your song overlaps but does not stack with that boost)

Ex: Mark the wizard and Joseph the cleric are both level 5 casters. Simon the level 6 bard plays Song of Spellpower for them. Mark's caster level increases by +4, to its maximum granted by this feat of +9. Joseph's caster level also increases, however, when he casts a cure spell, which his caster level is normally increased for due to his Healing domain power, his caster level is still only 9.

The Song of Magical Weakness is an enemy-affecting song. Enemies with a caster level within 30 feet of you must make a Will save (DC 10+1/2 your bard level + your Charisma modifier, +4 if you have the Power Chords class feature) or have their effective caster level decreased by an amount equal to the bonus provided by your Inspire Defense feature for as long as you sing and five rounds after. (1 minute if you have the Extended Performance class feature. This duration also applies to the Song of Spellpower)

10. - Top - End - #40

Thanks for the update, this is about as good as homebrew gets in my opinion. Nice feat too, only I'd be careful about making too many feats which add extra songs to the mix, sooner or later you're BOUND to get some horrific combination of effects. That said...

Quickened Song of Swiftness+Song of Hesitation (with Harmony) followed by a charge would be a great way to start any encounter.
    ...well, that's just funny!

My homebrews Moloques! Sagacious Defender of the Forge, The Open Palm, Sacred Scourge, The Bastion
    World Warper

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Veklim View Post
    Thanks for the update, this is about as good as homebrew gets in my opinion. Nice feat too, only I'd be careful about making too many feats which add extra songs to the mix, sooner or later you're BOUND to get some horrific combination of effects. That said...

...well, that's just funny!
    Your kind words are appreciated. This was really my first attempt at homebrew on this site and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

12. - Top - End - #42

RedWizardGuy

Pretty good class overall. Still, I'd suggest something that let them use Arcane spells.

Also, disappointed that there are no Tune Troopers, even though this is a Conductor class.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

13. - Top - End - #43

Tune Troopers..?
    *interest piqued*
    Tell me more!

World Warper

14. - Top - End - #44

RedWizardGuy

Tune Troopers..?
    *interest piqued*
    Tell me more!
    Basically, it's from this game for the iPod Touch, where the main character turns songs from your iPod into creatures he can fight with. There's different types of Tune Troopers, which are a bit more elaborated on here. Conductors in the game use the power of music to heal and attack in combat(resulting in a healer with a few offensive and boosting abilities, amongst other things, and are also the only ones that can create Tune Troopers from songs. If at all possible, I think they'd make an interesting addition to this class.
    Last edited by Pyromancer999; 2011-08-06 at 08:37 AM.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

15. - Top - End - #45

Unfortunately, my class as it is is complete. I'm satisfied with how it looks now and I have no interest in changing it. Sorry.

16. - Top - End - #46

I would suggest you make Inspire Evasion stack with the evasion class ability. Lets say the target has evasion and a reflex of +3, he would get improved evasion from this. The main reason I think this is that the evasion class ability itself often stacks this way. Not only that but it would help the rogue out as well, if you have one in the party.
    Additionally why do Inspire Evasion and Song of the White Raven have once per day limitations. This seems severely restricting considering you already have limitations to overall uses per day. Why not, instead, if you think they are more powerful than the other abilities, require the use of two bardic music uses instead of one.
    I really do like this class though. The PH bard really didn't feel like a 'bard', if you know what I mean. Besides I like the idea of removing spellcasting entirely. It never fit with the bard.

17. - Top - End - #47

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eftexar View Post
    I would suggest you make Inspire Evasion stack with the evasion class ability.
    Unfortunately, my class as it is is complete. I'm satisfied with how it looks now and I have no interest in changing it. Sorry.
    Something tells me these statements don't agree. Still, I support the notion, although one can just tweak it to suit one's needs.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

18. - Top - End - #48

My bad... I, uh, sort of hit post reply without noticing a second page.

19. - Top - End - #49

It's fine. As I told Pyromancer, I'm happy with how the class works already. Granting Improved Evasion wouldn't really be viable, as a bard's voice can only help you so much. If you didn't get out of the way in time, you just didn't get out of the way. I don't really know how Improved Evasion is supposed to work. (Dodging enough to take half damage even on a natural 1, despite not moving from your square?) But I certainly don't think someone yelling is going to give you that kind of skill.

As for why Song of the White Raven is only once per day, it's because it's copying the White Raven 9th level maneuver. That's a really powerful ability (and the ability itself is pretty powerful). So like class features that grant 9th level spells as a spell-like ability, I put a once per day limitation on this one.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-08-06 at 03:01 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

I don't really know how Improved Evasion is supposed to work. (Dodging enough to take half damage even on a natural 1, despite not moving from your square?) But I certainly don't think someone yelling is going to give you that kind of skill.
    I agree certainly, but imp. evasion is basically representative of the character's innate and sub-conscious reaction to danger. The not moving to do it always seemed wrong to me too though...

Song of the White Raven is perfectly sensible as a 1/day effect, and the difference power-wise is HUGE between granting everyone evasion (they still have to succeed the save to get any benefit at all) and allowing it to stack for imp. evasion (whereby the character can still avoid half a 10d6 fireball's worth of pain on a roll of a 1).

On a completely different note, I'm having half-formed ideas for a conductor bard prestige class... @ Pyro, would you mind if I have a stab at it, as long as it comes together in my head?

World Warper

21. - Top - End - #51

See, here's the part I don't get. I already grant Improved Evasion if someone has at least a +7 Reflex save. So I guess what you're asking is to let it stack, which would require a level 14 conductor bard to consider a character within 30 feet who had evasion, but not improved evasion, nor +7 Reflex save, an ally.

It's a pretty unlikely scenario. Regardless, as shown in the generic classes section of Unearthed Arcana, Improved Evasion has a base requirement of Evasion, and +7 base Reflex save. I'm not going against that.

22. - Top - End - #52

RedWizardGuy

@ Pyro, would you mind if I have a stab at it, as long as it comes together in my head?
    Actually, sort of already did it. Feel free to comment on the feat on its original thread, or if you feel your idea is too different and/or better, then feel free to take a stab at it yourself.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

23. - Top - End - #53

Updated to add more bardic music uses per day at the suggestion of a player who playtested this class.

24. - Top - End - #54

Inspire Evasion (Su): Once per day, as an immediate action, a bard of 14th level or higher may expend a use of his bardic music to help his enemies get out of the way. This does not require any ranks in the Perform skill, but his allies must be within 30 feet and able to hear and understand him. The bard grants himself and all allies within 30 feet who have a base Reflex save of at least +3 the evasion ability (as the PHB rogue) for 1 round.

If the bard or an ally who hears this has a base Reflex save of at least +7, they instead gain the improved evasion ability (as the PHB rogue) for 1 round.
    You have a typo here. It says "May expend a use of his bardic music to help his enemies get out of the way."
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by ScrambledBrains View Post
    You have a typo here. It says "May expend a use of his bardic music to help his enemies get out of the way."
    Ack!

...Wait...

Idea...

...Inspire BULLRUSH!

26. - Top - End - #56

Ack!

...Wait...

Idea...

...Inspire BULLRUSH!
    XD New idea for a song, I take it?
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by ScrambledBrains View Post
    XD New idea for a song, I take it?
    It would be pretty awesome, but no...I'm too lazy to write more songs for this class...it's got almost 20 already

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: 3.5 The Conductor Bard (Now with more songs!)

It would be pretty awesome, but no...I'm too lazy to write more songs for this class...it's got almost 20 already
    to fill out the idea a little more, one ally gets to make an immediate charge and attack. Also, couldn't you recruit fans of the conductor bard to help with song ideas? I for one would enjoy it.
    doll avatar by Recaiden
    I'm not a weird, odd, or unusual human. Just a shiny one.
    This is what I do in my free time
    Dread Pirate Roberts in the playground

29. - Top - End - #59
    Halfling in the Playground

I utterly love this. I have always been quite fond of Bards, flavor-wise, but tended not to play them, as I've always found bardic music to be way too limited. "Okay, so I can give my allies a bonus to attack, and I can charm opponents, and that's...pretty much it." I've always wanted a bard with a large variety of musical abilities that would be just as useful at buffing as a full spellcaster. This class is just about everything I wanted in that category.
    Calumon Avatar courtesy of Akrim.elf

Pathfinder Legend of Zelda Races

30. - Top - End - #60

RedWizardGuy

Esto mira comi tema necromancia a mě.(Spanish for this looks like thread necromancy to me)
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes: