New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Bye bye food pyramid

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    until finally arriving at an otherwise unadorned circle labeled "food", with an RDA of "enough"
    Do be real. There will be two equally sized circles, one saying "food" and the other saying "dairy". I truly am shocked that this new design finally suggests that vegetarians can comply with healthy food guidelines but the larger percentage of the population that is lactose intolerant cannot.

But they do seem dedicated to putting less and less information into every succeeding model. I wish that they stop trying to micromanage the foods that we eat and focus on the nutrients that we have to absorb, like the information that we actually teach the children when they're too told for the nursery-school graphics. Make one circle graph indicating that we should be eating a balance of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats, in a proportion somewhere near 50/25/25 but certainly not wildly far from that, and then some extra iconography to indicate that we also need to intake a reasonable supply of dietary fiber and water for healthy digestion.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    I drink blood... that comes out of me.

Just kidding, sorta. I do suck on cuts on my arms/hands, figure I might as well keep some of the nutrients I'd be losing otherwise.

That and I heard somewhere that saliva is mildly acidic, and so I figure that has to help fight infection, and considering I've had an infected cut once, I think it's working.
    I suggest that the risk of catching bloodborne disease from yourself is effectively nil.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    I suggest that the risk of catching bloodborne disease from yourself is effectively nil.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Is it wierd that after reading a book about vampires I decided I couldn't take that, not because it's wrong... but because I just have no Idea where those people have been... I mean it's like picking a hamburger of the sidewalk and chowing down...

Ugh
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Is it wierd that after reading a book about vampires I decided I couldn't take that, not because it's wrong... but because I just have no Idea where those people have been... I mean it's like picking a hamburger of the sidewalk and chowing down...

Ugh
    Given the state of health of the average citybred human, I agree with you. It's best to only eat organically grown human beings.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

But cityfolk are full of preservatives. I bet it would make the vampires extra-immortal.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Everyone in the US remember the food pyramid we all learned in school? Well, it's going away. The new plan is the four food groups pie chart .
    The food pyramid I learned at school was gone anyway. They replaced it with that vertically-striped thing.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lhurgyof View Post

W-w-w-white text!
    Totally sig'ing this.
    "Gruahauallal." -Conan

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

The Food Pyramid has gotten less and less useful with each iteration.

I mean, I go buy a burger, how many serving of Carbs is it? How many of meat? I dunno. You've gotta go read a book to figure out how much of each thing you need to have. How much fat? Who knows?

People don't follow the food pyramid because you would need a degree in nutrition and actively research everything over the internet in order to make any decisions. Worse than useless.

If the government were really serious about getting people to eat healthily, they would have to do things really differently. Like perhaps rating every possible food from every restaurant to say how healthy it is. Perhaps a points system like weight watchers. In any case, they have to make the decision easy, because unlike what the designers of the system apparently think, people have much more pressing problems than their nutrition. Not in the long run, true, but it is a well-observed fact that by and large, short term trumps long term.