New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Bombs Away - Heat 2 - Underway!

Bomb’s Away is a simple game, loosely based on FPS Deathmatch's and the Frag Boardgame, where you must blow the other players to kingdom come to win! Heat 1 is currently underway in this thread, which gives a good idea of how things are supposed to work. Again, I'm looking for 6-10 players to get this heat underway.

As a long term plan I think it would be cool to have several heats running at once, with an ongoing league table of all participants, different area maps, upgrades and possibly even game types, and people being allocated to new heats after each game to let everyone play each other. But of course that depends on getting the rules right (thus this heat will include Deathslayer's suggested downgrade of the Sniper Bomb starting ability, and a change to the Bruce Lee starting ability) and ensuring there's demand for the game, so we'll see.

Play will take place on this rather snazzy (hardly) 10x10 grid:

{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_|G_|H_|I_|J_
    1||||||||||
    2||||||||||
    3||||X||||||
    4||||X||||||
    5||||X|X|X||||
    6||||X||||||
    7||||||||||
    8|||||||X|X||
    9||X||||||||
    10||||||||||[/table]

X = A wall or other object that blocks line of sight.

To join in just state your interest here and do the following:

Pick a starting square in a PM to me (try to avoid the wall squares), and state the ability you pick from the four below in your sign-up post!

Run Like Hell – You can move two squares per round instead of one.

Cluster Bombs – You can target two adjacent squares with a bomb attack rather than one.

Sniper Bombs – Your bombs have a maximum range of six rather than four.

I’m Bruce Lee! – If you end the turn on the same square as another player, you frag them with your amazing kung-fu skills, then teleport to a random place up to three squares away.

A round will last around 48 hours, depending on my internet access. If you don’t post an action in this time, you’ll just stand around like a lemon.

Each round each player can move one square and shoot at a square a maximum of four squares away, resolved from where everyone begins their turn. Shooting is affected by line of sight, from where you start the turn. Each player will have chosen a starting ability that can bypass these limits in some way, as per the ability choices above. You can move and shoot diagonally, and you do not have to move and/or shoot if you don’t wish too, but you need to post to say that you are taking no action. These actions will be posted in the thread, so that you each know what the others are doing, but not where they actually are, at least not without some educated guesswork and keeping a close eye on the action. Shots will be resolved using starting positions for the turn, not your finishing position.

- Example action: Banjo fires at squares B4 and B5, then moves up one square.

This gives enough information to give the game some tactics, but not enough to give anyone’s exact position away too easily.

If you target a space where another player stands you score a frag! You also get a snazzy new ability at random from the following list:

o Fleeing Coward – You can move three squares if you don’t throw a bomb.
    o Dragon Breath – Instead of shooting you can hit every square adjacent to you with an attack.
    o Super Bombing Arm – Your shooting has no maximum range.
    o X-ray Specs – Your bombs ignore line of sight.
    o Steel Codpiece – You can take two hits before you get fragged.
    o Machine Gun Bombs – You can target three squares with an attack, all of which must be adjacent to each other.
    o Marksman – You can shoot twice if you don’t move.

When you get fragged you reappear in a randomised respawn location at the beginning of the next round, losing any abilities earnt from previous frags.

First to 5 frags is the winner! If two or more players reach 5 frags in the same round, the winner will be the player who died the least. If this heat gets off the ground this first round may go into an initial league table, but that depends on interest.

Want clarification on a specific rules point? Then check The Saposhiente Q&A below for an answer! If it's not there, feel free to ask me!
    Spoiler
    Show

Is line of sight determined by tracing a line or by counting squares?
    A combination of both. You need to be able to both trace a line to your target square from where you start the turn, and be able to count up to four squares to it.

If the latter, can the second bomb from cluster bombs hit a spot that you do not have line of sight to?
    Nope, line of sight is needed to every square you fire at, unless you're wearing X-Ray Specs.

Can the second bomb from cluster bombs go one farther than your range?
    Nope, all shots must be in your range, whether that's four, six or unlimited squares.

Can you knowingly target an illegal space with a bomb? If so, will there be an announcement? If so, will your name be revealed?
    You can if you like. If you do there will be an announcement at the end of turn, saying Some shots this turn hit walls or Some players target squares were out of range. No names will be revealed however.

What about moving in an illegal direction?
    If you try and move into a wall space or outside of the confines of the map, then there'll be a note in the turn update, saying Someone walked into a wall, not naming anybody. You can't really move any other illegal way, as you just post your direction of movement and number of squares moved if you can move more than one, so it's pretty easy for other players to see if you're trying to move further than your abilities allow.

Is the distribution of possible squares from I'm Bruce Lee-teleport even? Can you be teleported to your own square by I'm Bruce Lee?
    Yes they are, you have an even chance of moving to any square within range after the power activates. You cannot however be teleported to the same square. But you can end up on a square already occupied by another opponent.

Do Cluster Bombs and Machine Gun Bombs stack?
    Nope. If you have Cluster Bombs, then frag someone and end up with Machine Gun Bombs, you have three shots, not five. However, the Marksman upgrade would stack, meaning that if you didn't move you could fire a total of six shots in two groups of three adjacent squares.

Can you choose your respawn square?
    No, when fragged, players are PM'd with a random square where they respawn. You can't respawn where another player is standing however.

Do Marksman and Machine Gun Bombs stack? What about Marksman and Cluster Bombs?
    Partly answered above. Both would stack with Marksman.

So, anyone interested in a silly PM-box friendly game of gruesome death? When we have enough players the game will begin!

Heat 2 -Turn 11 underway and ends Friday

{table]Player|Ability|Frags|Deaths|Upgrades
    DeathSlayer7|Cluster Bombs|2|2|Marksman, Dragon Breath
    Saposhiente|I'm Bruce Lee|1|2|
    Reinholdt|I'm Bruce Lee|0|3|
    Cd4|Cluster Bombs|4|0|Steel Codpiece, Fleeing Coward, Machine Gun Bombs, Dragon Breath
    Calar|Sniper Bombs|2|0|Machine Gun Bombs, Super Bombing Arm
    The Grimmace|Run Like Hell|1|3|Super Bombing Arm
    Tydude|Run Like Hell|3|2|
    Tilt|Sniper Bombs|0|2|
    Minty Ninja|Sniper Bombs|3|1|[/table]
    Last edited by banjo1985; 2011-07-13 at 05:27 AM.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Bombs Away - Heat 2 - Signups Open 0/10

So, Heat 2 is now up for signups. I've saved DeathSlayer 7 a place after interest in the Heat 1 thread, but there are still 9 places left on offer.

The rules in this heat are slightly different, in that Sniper Bombs have had their ranges reduced from 8 squares to 6, and the Bruce Lee ability is now followed by an automatic limited teleport, to stop it from automatically revealing the players location.

I've changed the map too, with bigger longer walls to have more of an effect on positioning and line of sight.

Heat 2 will start as soon as signups are full or it doesn't look as if we'll get any more.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Bombs Away - Heat 2 - Signups Open 1/10

I'll take the Cluster Bombs. and in.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

In with hmm...
    Questions: Is line of sight determined by tracing a line or by counting squares? If the latter, can the second bomb from cluster bombs hit a spot that you do not have line of sight to? Can the second bomb from cluster bombs go one farther than your range? Can you knowingly target an illegal space with a bomb? If so, will there be an announcement? If so, will your name be revealed? What about moving in an illegal direction? Is the distribution of possible squares from I'm Bruce Lee-teleport even? Can you be teleported to your own square by I'm Bruce Lee? Do Cluster Bombs and Machine Gun Bombs stack? Can you choose your respawn square? Do Marksman and Machine Gun Bombs stack? What about Marksman and Cluster Bombs?
    *pant pant pant*
    Okay. I think that's all for now.
    Yes, they all matter

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, lets see:

Quote Originally Posted by Saposhiente View Post
    In with hmm...
    Questions: Is line of sight determined by tracing a line or by counting squares?
    A combination of both. You need to be able to both trace a line to your target square from where you start the turn, and be able to count up to four squares to it.

If the latter, can the second bomb from cluster bombs hit a spot that you do not have line of sight to?
    Nope, line of sight is needed to every square you fire at, unless you're wearing X-Ray Specs.

Can the second bomb from cluster bombs go one farther than your range?
    Nope, all shots must be in your range, whether that's four, six or unlimited squares.

Can you knowingly target an illegal space with a bomb? If so, will there be an announcement? If so, will your name be revealed?
    You can if you like. If you do there will be an announcement at the end of turn, saying Some shots this turn hit walls or Some players target squares were out of range. No names will be revealed however.

What about moving in an illegal direction?
    If you try and move into a wall space or outside of the confines of the map, then there'll be a note in the turn update, saying someone walked into a wall, not naming anybody. You can't really move any other illegal way, as you just post your direction of movement and number of squares moved if you can move more than one, so it's pretty easy for other players to see if you're trying to move further than your abilities allow.

Is the distribution of possible squares from I'm Bruce Lee-teleport even? Can you be teleported to your own square by I'm Bruce Lee?
    Yes they are, you have an even chance of moving to any square within range after the power activates. You cannot however be teleported to the same square. But you can end up on a square already occupied by another opponent.

Do Cluster Bombs and Machine Gun Bombs stack?
    Nope. If you have Cluster Bombs, then frag someone and end up with Machine Gun Bombs, you have three shots, not five. However, the Marksman upgrade would stack, meaning that if you didn't move you could fire a total of six shots in two groups of three adjacent squares.

Can you choose your respawn square?
    No, when fragged, players are PM'd with a random square where they respawn. You can't respawn where another player is standing however.

Do Marksman and Machine Gun Bombs stack? What about Marksman and Cluster Bombs?
    Partly answered above. Both would stack with Marksman.

*pant pant pant*
    Okay. I think that's all for now.
    Hurray! Did I pass?

Yes, they all matter
    No problem, its good to get these things cleared up befor eth game starts. I'll put these answers into the opening post for everyone to see.

6. - Top - End - #6

In that case, I'm Bruce Lee all the way, yo.
    Edit: If I Bruce Frag someone and am ported to someone else's square, do I frag them too and teleport again?
    Last edited by Saposhiente; 2011-06-08 at 01:47 AM.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Is there any rule against someone playing in two heats at once? I wouldn't want to take the place of someone who isn't already playing in Heat 1, but the opportunity to try out the patched Sniper Bombs is tempting.
    Zombie for Hire
    from roleplaying to theatre to "get the hell off my lawn"
    zombie4hire.wordpress.com

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I wanted to try this. I'll pick my choice shortly.

I'm Bruce Lee
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2011-06-08 at 02:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

If I Bruce Frag someone and am ported to someone else's square, do I frag them too and teleport again?
    No, but you would get the frag on the next turn, as you would start the turn in the same square as this second opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Archer View Post
    Is there any rule against someone playing in two heats at once? I wouldn't want to take the place of someone who isn't already playing in Heat 1, but the opportunity to try out the patched Sniper Bombs is tempting.
    Well, if this did turn into an ongoing game with a league table it would make thinsg rather difficult. But at the same time, thsi second heat isn't exactly gathering much new ineterest. I think I'll leave it a few more days and see how many other signups we get, and if it's still looking slow I'll happily put you in.

10. - Top - End - #10

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Bombs Away - Heat 2 - Signups Open 3/10

I think I might try this with Cluster Bombs

11. - Top - End - #11

What happens if Bruce Lee ends his turn on the same space as another Bruce Lee? Or if they respawn or start on the square?
    Last edited by Saposhiente; 2011-06-08 at 11:09 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Tell me your square and we'll find out together.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

13. - Top - End - #13

Okay! I'm at Q28.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

What happens if Bruce Lee ends his turn on the same space as another Bruce Lee? Or if they respawn or start on the square?
    Simple, they frag each other and both die, respawning in random positions without any upgrades.

Hurray, we're up to four players! This game may just start up at some point.

Cd4, Saposhiente, I need your starting squares PM'd to me at some point. Doesn't look like theirs any rush though.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Bombs Away - Heat 2 - Signups Open 4/10

I'll join, with Sniper Bombs.
    I shall spread the buttery light of justice over the toast of your iniquity!

Fight my brute.
    Brutes too boring? Try this one.

16. - Top - End - #16

If two people frag the same person at the same time, do they both get 1, 1/2 or 0 frags? Can you bomb your own square and survive?

Intentionally waiting to send in start square.
    Last edited by Saposhiente; 2011-06-09 at 08:32 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

If two people frag the same person at the same time, do they both get 1, 1/2 or 0 frags? Can you bomb your own square and survive?
    Both people that fired get a full frag. You can bomb the square you begin the turn on, but you'll end of fragging yourself (you don't get a point for this, just a death). You can fire at the square you're moving too without any worries.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Bombs Away - Heat 2 - Signups Open 5/10

In, with...I'm Bruce Lee Run Like Hell
    Last edited by Zjoot; 2011-06-10 at 06:51 PM.
    Awesome Lion Avatar by the wonderful Mr. Saturn. Thanks

I have a bloog now. Go check it out if you love strange poetry.

19. - Top - End - #19

Come on guys. IBL is less useful the more people with it.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

not really Frag-a-thon much.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

21. - Top - End - #21

sure, but its advantage over Cluster Bombs is small enough already, no need to make it smaller >.<
    Also, if a person with Steel Codpiece is hit once, is the hit announced? If so, how much information will be given?
    Last edited by Saposhiente; 2011-06-10 at 05:35 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Come on guys. IBL is less useful the more people with it.
    But it's the only power that you can't get a better version of by fragging, that's why I chose it anyways.

23. - Top - End - #23

False. Run Like Hell is not superseded by Fleeing Coward, as RLH still allows you to throw a bomb.
    And most of the time you won't have any upgrades anyway

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Very true, but I still see the most options with IBL

Edit: After further consideration, I'd like to change my power to Run Like Hell. Good luck finding me now.

Also, that raises the question, can I move in two different directions, like to the right, then up and right diagonally?
    Last edited by Zjoot; 2011-06-10 at 07:01 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll join with Run Like Hell.
    Avatar of Yoshimo by Trazoi. WW Banner by Elder Tsofu.

Trophies and Titles
    Spoiler
    Show
    Protecting the Guilty/I Survived the City of the Drifter(City of Darkness)
    Bringer of Chaos/Last Assassin Standing/Werewolf Finder/Oops! (City of Shadows)
    (Shape-shifters 2)
    (Bombs Away Heat 2)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm in with Sniper Bombs. One rules question: what exactly does it mean to be able to trace a line from one point to another, must it start and/or end at the center of the square? Does C4 have line of sight to D2?
    Last edited by Tilt; 2011-06-11 at 10:02 PM. Reason: changed my mind about my power

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

If you and another person are not both I'm Bruce Lee and you both are standing on the same square and you decide to shoot the square you're standing on, do you get a new ability or is it immediately lost due to fragging yourself?

Even more fun if both players decide to fire on the square they're standing on.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'll join. Sniper Bombs.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, player and question explosion! I'll update this post in a bit with answers and a starting time for the game.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Bombs Away - Heat 2 - Signups Open 9/10

Also, if a person with Steel Codpiece is hit once, is the hit announced? If so, how much information will be given?
    This has just happened in Heat 1, so I’ll copy over my exact wording:

“Someone hit Supagoof, but he was protected by his Steel Codpiece!”

So Goof know’s he’s been hit and lost his codpiece, and all the players know that someone hit him, but not who, so it only narrows his position down to one of the many squares that were fired at in that turn.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grimmace View Post
    Also, that raises the question, can I move in two different directions, like to the right, then up and right diagonally?
    Indeed you can. Just make it clear in your post, like Elder Tsofu has done here in Heat 1:

“Two left and one north west.”

Not an exact example, as he has the Fleeing Coward upgrade and so was moving three squares, but you get the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilt View Post
    One rules question: what exactly does it mean to be able to trace a line from one point to another, must it start and/or end at the center of the square? Does C4 have line of sight to D2?
    This isn’t an exact science, but I don’t take this as meaning the center of each square. Essentially, if you can trace a straight line from any part of the square you begin the turn on to the target square, you can fire at it. So, if you were on square B10, you would be able to trace lines to all nearby squares except B8, B7 and B6.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    If you and another person are not both I'm Bruce Lee and you both are standing on the same square and you decide to shoot the square you're standing on, do you get a new ability or is it immediately lost due to fragging yourself?

Even more fun if both players decide to fire on the square they're standing on.
    The ability would immediately be lost, as you’ve been fragged, and you would get a frag (on your opponent) and a death (for killing yourself) on your score. If both players do the same then they both have this happen.

9/10 player spaces filled, just one more to go! The game will start in about 24 hours, whether we get a tenth player or not. If you know anyone that might be interested, tell them to sign up! I'll confirm to each of you your starting square in my PM announcing game start.

Saposhiente, now would probably be the time to send in your starting square.
    Last edited by banjo1985; 2011-06-13 at 06:21 AM.