New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Feats Inspired by "A Wizard Could Do Worse"

Quote Originally Posted by TheLonelyScribe View Post
    Actually, as far as I know, there's no actual rule against being a half-angel half-demon half-dragon dragon There's even rules for playing dragons in the draconomicon.
    Ah, but Dragons, eventually, gain actual casting, not just Spell Like Abilities. Meaning that it has a chance to kill itself as it ages to maturity.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Let's get dangerous! :D

**** you, Dad
    Prereqs: Divine Rank 0, mother must be mortal
    Benefits: All damage you deal to creatures with a Divine Rank of 10 or higher is squared. Additionally, you emit an antimagic field 150 feet in radius which works only on creatures with Divine Rank (except yourself).

Ever felt like killing Loki with a single hit? :D
    Last edited by Phosphate; 2011-06-07 at 10:14 AM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
    Ah, but Dragons, eventually, gain actual casting, not just Spell Like Abilities. Meaning that it has a chance to kill itself as it ages to maturity.
    Not if you play a.....X'entilar (or something like that) dragon (its a template). They gain a bunch of other stuff, but lose their spell casting in exchange. I dont know what MM it's in though.

EDIT: Its Xorvintaal, found in MM5
    Last edited by Sypher667; 2011-06-07 at 02:28 PM.
    "To play a fighter is to play the game.
    To play a wizard is to understand the rules.
    To understand the rules, and play a fighter, is to understand the game."
    -Lycar
    Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    ...magical trumps mundane so often that mundane really needs to be able to give magic a good kick in the junk now and then.

4. - Top - End - #124

Older-than-the-universe Spice
    Prerequisites: No spellcasting ability.
    Benefit: You are immune to Wizards. You don't care about that silly magic stuff. You also gain Druid, Cleric, Sorcerer, etc. resistance 25,000,000,000.

Also, anything is possible for you, because you smell like Old Spice and not a pig.
    Special: I'm on a horse.
    Last edited by Gideon Falcon; 2011-06-07 at 03:01 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Pardon me, but can someone explain just how to apply a Wizard in such a way that the character becomes more broken than this stuff? For educational purposes, of course. *gets notebook and pencil*

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Well I know how to get a 17th level wizard casting 2 normal, and 2 quickened spells per round (18th level sorcerer can use Greater Arcane Fusion and Quickened Arcane Fusion to get 8 in a round if they really want).

But not anything nearly as bad as all this.

Also spammable Dominate Monster is fairly easy (it's a pretty common Su ability on creatures with 17 or less HD, which means Shapechange is better than Dominate Monster in that it can copy the latter multiple times, with higher Save DCs [if you're a sorcerer], and be undispellable).
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

A lot of people here lost sight of the goal, which was emulating wizard type stuff with combat maneuvers. The various [Bear] feats should be considered to not be part of the idea.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Pardon me, but can someone explain just how to apply a Wizard in such a way that the character becomes more broken than this stuff? For educational purposes, of course. *gets notebook and pencil*
    A bit off topic, but I doubt the OP will mind too much if I just spent one or two posts on it. What would you like explained, specifically? How to optimize damage? How to raise an army? How to rend the earth, skip your opponent's turns, gain immunity to critical hits and sneak attacks, how to interrupt an opponent who is about to hit you and respond by shooting them across the arena?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The bear thing is a bit of a massive derail.

11. - Top - End - #131

Ah, thanks Nine. Here, I'll get us back on topic with some feats.

Devastating Blow
    Prerequisites: Power Attack, BAB +6
    Benefits: When you successfully damage a creature with a Power Attack with at least a -5 penalty, all enemies within a 30' radius Emanation from the creature you struck must make a Will save (DC 10 +1/2 your level +Str mod + Penalty you took from Power Attack) or take a -2 morale penalty on all actions due to surprise. This is a mind-affecting compulsion ability.
    Special: When using this feat, you may make an Intimidate check as a free action before the enemies make their saving throws. If you do, the DC of the Will save becomes equal to your Intimidate check, and the compulsion descriptor of the effect becomes replaced with the fear descriptor.

Visual Aid
    Prerequisites: Unable to cast arcane spells
    Benefits: When making a melee attack with a piercing or slashing weapon against a creature no larger than your Size category, you may take a -4 penalty to your attack roll in order to aim at the creature's eyes. If you hit and deal damage, you damage one of the creature's eyes (no save). The creature now has a -2 penalty on all attack rolls, and a -10 penalty on Spot checks, until a DC 20 Heal check has been made and the eye has been given time to heal, or until magical healing has been applied. The penalty does not apply against a creature who does not rely on sight, such as a creature with the scent ability or the tremorsense quality.
    Special: You may use this feat against a creature one Size category larger than you if the following conditions are met: A) the creature is long and tall, so its face is within arm's reach, or B) you are using a reach weapon that allows you to attack the creature's face from your height. Using a weapon in this way to make a called shot is difficult, and you receive an additional -2 penalty on your attack roll.

Also, you may use this feat once per eye the creature has, and if you successfully put them all out, the creature is treated as if it has been magically blinded for combat purposes, though Remove Blindness will not affect it (as the feat causes actual physical damage instead of a magical disease).

A Regrowth spell will also remove the condition, if applied to the creature's eyes.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Mage Killer
    Prerequisite: Base Attack +6, Spellcraft 4 Ranks, Mage Slayer, Pierce Magical Protection, Pierce Magical Concealment, Blind Fight
    Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus on Will saving throws. Opponents you strike in combat are subject to a Targeted Dispel as though from a Greater Dispel Magic, using your base attack bonus as your caster level.
    Special: Taking this feat reduces your caster level for all your spells and spell-like abilities by 4.

Mage Bane
    Prerequisite: Base Attack +11, Spellcraft 7 Ranks, Mage Slayer, Pierce Magical Protection, Pierce Magical Concealment, Blind Fight, Mage Killer
    Benefit: You are protected against all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects. You cannot be detected or researched through magical means. You gain Spell Resistance 15+HD.
    Special: Taking this feat reduces your caster level for all your spells and spell-like abilities by 4.

Mage Death
    Prerequisite: Base Attack +11, Spellcraft 7 Ranks, Mage Slayer, Pierce Magical Protection, Pierce Magical Concealment, Blind Fight, Mage Killer
    Benefit: You can surround yourself with a 20 foot emanation that disrupts magic. Activating this ability is a swift action, and the effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to your hit dice.
    While in effect, everyone within 20 feet of you is treated as though they are in an Antimagic Field. Only you and others with this feat are unaffected by this ability.

13. - Top - End - #133

Someone needs to make a [Bear] feats thread.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Firbolg in the Playground

I am proud to have started this [bear] phenomenon.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

16. - Top - End - #136

Wish
    Prerequisites: Ability to rage, must not be able to cast spells, manifest psionics, initiate maneuvers or any similar system.
    BenefitGrant someone a wish. Their wish is stupid, so punch them in the face. As a free action, you may make anyone adjacent to you provoke an attack of opportunity, you deal damage as if you were in rage, and should you use your fist, you are counted as having Improved Unarmed strike and deal damage as a monk 4 levels higher than you, and a size larger than you.
    Game systems I play: DnD 3.5, Pathfinder, Star Wars Saga, Vampire: The Masquerade, Dungeons: The Dragoning, AFBME, Atomic Highway, Dark Heresy, Legend of the 5 Rings 4E, MAID and... EQRPG... Does anyone actually play that?

17. - Top - End - #137

Alright, a slightly more serious example:

Mega Sunder
    Prerequisites: Improved Sunder, BAB 15+
    Benefits: You can sunder Force effects. They are treated as having hardness 20 and 10 hit points per level of the spell that created it, or 50 if it is not a spell effect. You may break force effects with a DC 40 Strength Check.

And now for some silliness.

Anti-shenanigans field
    Prerequisites: No spellcasting ability, BAB 5+
    Benefit: You will have NONE OF THAT SPELLCASTING SHENANIGANS! You are always surrounded by a dead magic zone out to 20 feet. You may suppress or resume this at will as a free action.

18. - Top - End - #138

RogueGuy

Genocide :D

Mana Clash
    Prereqs: Spellcraft and Knowledge Arcana 10 ranks, 5 levels in knight or crusader
    Benefits: As a full action, once per encounter you may release a wave of energy with a radius of 50 feet around you. All Arcane Casters within the area must make a Will save per spell slot level (a save for level 5, another one for 6 etc). If a save is failed, all spell slots of that level are lost. Deals 1d6 unspecified damage to the targets for every INDIVIDUAL slot lost.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphate View Post
    Genocide :D

Mana Clash
    Prereqs: Spellcraft and Knowledge Arcana 10 ranks, 5 levels in knight or crusader
    Benefits: As a full action, once per encounter you may release a wave of energy with a radius of 50 feet around you. All Arcane Casters within the area must make a Will save per spell slot level (a save for level 5, another one for 6 etc). If a save is failed, all spell slots of that level are lost. Deals 1d6 unspecified damage to the targets for every INDIVIDUAL slot lost.
    With a little more sanity this could actually be totally awesome.

(Tangent, this is not a "Wizard Could Do Worse™" feat, but it is sweet)

Mana Clash
    Prerequisites: Mage Slayer, Base Attack +6, Knight's Challenge feature
    Benefit: When you use your Knight's Challenge on any creature capable of casting spells or using spell-like abilities that creature must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 +1/2 your character level + your Charisma modifier + the highest level spell/SLA the creature has available) to avoid losing all spell slots or spell-like ability uses (even at-will uses) of the highest level spell/SLA the creature has available. For every 5 points the creature failed this save they lose spell slots or spell-like ability uses of their next highest level and so on. A creature that failed its save is Dazed for 1 round and dealt 1d6 nonlethal damage per spell slot or spell-like ability use lost this way (maximum 20d6). A creature that succeeded its save is Staggered for 1 round and is immune to this effect for 24 hours.
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2011-06-08 at 06:30 AM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

20. - Top - End - #140

RogueGuy

Well, I DID intend it to be insane. Hence the Area of Effect. And the targeting of ALL SL. And the uncapped damage (which is always instant kill for non-gestalts).

21. - Top - End - #141

RogueGuy

I'm tired of feats that kill/debuff arcane casters. Let's upgrade :D.

Material Ward
    Prereqs: evil, living mortal, Knowledge (planes) 8 ranks
    Bonus: Once per turn, all Outsiders within 50 feet of you regardless of status (friendly, hostile etc) must make a Will save against a DC equal to your Character Level+10. If they fail they must Greater Teleport away from this feat's radius immediately or die. If they succeed the existence of this effect is not noticed.

22. - Top - End - #142

I'm tired of feats that kill/debuff arcane casters. Let's upgrade :D.

Material Ward
    Prereqs: evil, living mortal, Knowledge (planes) 8 ranks
    Bonus: Once per turn, all Outsiders within 50 feet of you regardless of status (friendly, hostile etc) must make a Will save against a DC equal to your Character Level+10. If they fail they must Greater Teleport away from this feat's radius immediately or die. If they succeed the existence of this effect is not noticed.
    But what about the case of having outsider allies!? How about add a line saying
    "each turn you may choose to suppress this effect, but if you do, hostile outsiders also do not need to save against it."

23. - Top - End - #143

RogueGuy

Let me stress it.

Prereqs: EVIL

24. - Top - End - #144

...Derp, posted in the wrong thread. I'll get a feat up here as an offering of peace.
    Last edited by Jjeinn-tae; 2011-06-11 at 02:56 PM.
    Game systems I play: DnD 3.5, Pathfinder, Star Wars Saga, Vampire: The Masquerade, Dungeons: The Dragoning, AFBME, Atomic Highway, Dark Heresy, Legend of the 5 Rings 4E, MAID and... EQRPG... Does anyone actually play that?

25. - Top - End - #145

Quote Originally Posted by Jjeinn-tae View Post
    That was Unbearable [Bear]
    Prerequisites: Bardic Music
    Benefit: You may expend a use of your bardic music to create a truly unbearable performance. Your performance is so bad, that it requires all enemies who hear it to roll a will save at DC 13+your bard level. In addition, you may add or subtract from this DC an amount equal to the number of bear feats that you have taken.

Foes who fail the save must immediately on their turn move towards you and try to attack in melee, blinded by rage at your horrible performance. Those who succeed suffer no ill effects. A turn after your performance ends, an amount of bears are called to attack all enemies who were audacious enough to not be so moved by your performance. They appear next to all who made their save (due to apparently having sneaked up on the victim) and immediately full attack.

These bears last a number of turns equal to your bard level, attacking all your foes. You get a number of bears equal to the number of enemies that made their will save.
    Hey! Hey! No more de-railing! Come on, we already made a new thread for this! Take this feat and your incredibly manly avatar and go to Nine's new thread!

26. - Top - End - #146

I noticed right when I saw a bunch of posts in the other thread. Sorry about that.

27. - Top - End - #147

RogueGuy

Absorbant Soul
    Prereqs: Int 15+, unable to cast spells normally
    Benefits: If an offensive Evocation or similar SP ability has been used on you, you can cast a lesser version of it at will as a swift action for 24 hours. Resting removes it.

Now this becomes "a wizard can do the same".

28. - Top - End - #148

Let me stress it.

Prereqs: EVIL
    Evil characters have allies too.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Evil characters have allies too.
    Only so long as it suits them.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

30. - Top - End - #150

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    Only so long as it suits them.
    See, I always had this different vision of what is called an "Evil" aligned character:

Evil is not the guy on the wrong side of the fence from the heroes, simply an antagonist, regardless of how fanatically he believes in his or their cause. Evil is selfish, malignant, greedy, and overambitious. Having trusted allies sways from being truly evil in my book, that's why I never understood those evil organizations that DON'T break apart when their plans are complete (tbh, the sole exception I can think of from the strip is Tarquin and his party members, but they're smart guys)

Plus, taking that feat in itself makes you a self-proclaimed bigot.

But enough with going off-topic.

World of Reason
    Prerequisites: Must not be able to use spells, Must have UMD untrained, Knowledge (Arcana) 8 ranks OR Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks
    Benefits: If you have Religion at 8 ranks or more, you are allowed a Will Save against ANY arcane spell, even those with no save, and an additional save against those that already have one. If you have Arcana at 8 ranks or more, you are allowed a Will Save against ANY divine spell, even those with no save, and an additional save against those that already have one. IF you have both, add +2 to your Will Saves.