New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 57 12345678910112651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Default Togo's Planar Adventure set partly in Sigil (IC)

This is the in character thread.

For OOC discussions, please post in the OOC thread, so we can keep this thread for what has actually happened.

Autopsibiofeeder with Derk Silverhair, Sexy Silver Dra-Gish.
    Obrysii with Xiuhcoatl the gold dragon.
    Ryuuk with Belze and Dime, Heaven and hellspawn together again.
    SPoD with Saffron, tigress, huntress, archer...tress?
    Toliudar with Godot Samuels, moody gnome bard.
    THEchanger with Simon Shadowstalker, rock of ages.
    Cespenar with Rhion Lett, whose body can kill you in seventeen different ways.
    Ifni with Blackfrost Umbriel, ultimate magus.

The game starts in the Outlands, a plane that is very similar to most Prime worlds, and largely populated by those who, for one reason or another, resist aligning themselves with any particular alignement. Most of the cities are centred around large permenant gates to other planes. Bedlam, for example, contains a large permenant gate to Pandemonium, and is primarily inhabited by people who are on the edge of aligning themsleves with this plane, but haven't quite done so. Smaller settlements follow the same 'recruting centre' pattern, usually based around particular ideology or ideal that doesn't quite fit in with the major outer planes.

Most of the countryside is apparently sparsely populated, mainly by people who really don't care, but also by those fleeing or hiding out from one or more planar powers.

The plane operates on morphic geography. You tend to find whatever place you're looking for after a few days travel, irrespective of where it is. Covenient coincidences, such as 8 adventurers meeting on the road while all travelling to exactly the same place, are reasonably commonplace.

You have been travelling to a vinyard/inn called Reason's Rest, run by an organisation known as the Athars. There, so you've heard, a reliable portal to Sigil is open to anyone who is willing to listen to their ideas for anything from a few minutes to an hour, depending on how busy it is.

It's up to you if your character knows any of the PCs, or if you want to start the game by meeting for the first time. I'd suggest that you've at least got to know eachother slightly in the last few days, if only so as not to spend the next fortnight on gaining eachother's trust.
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-06-05 at 04:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Togo's Planar Adventure set partly in Sigil (IC)

You stand in the Outlands, in a landscape of rolling hills, the daylight fading into evening. The rough road you have been following was supposed to be the end of a long journey to sigil. According to your plan, the road should end in a vinyard and inn, owned by a faction known as the Athars. Here, in this inn, not only are fine wines to be found, but also a portal to the City of Doors itself, the city known as Sigil.

But as you approach, there is no sign of the inn, no vinyard, and no sign of any inhabitants. The Outlands, outside the few large cities, are sparesely populated at the best of times, but the only people here appear to be your fellow travellers (the PCs).

Ahead, a set of wagons have been pulled up, and a group of 20-30 humanoids (humans?) appear to be making camp. At least half of them are armed with heavy crossbows and chain mail armour.

Apart from them, there no sound, save the wind. No animals, no living plant life that you can see. The ground is bare earth, scoured clean of anything green and living.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I agree on the 'we met and found a common goal that binds us (for now)' strategy. If it is okay, Derk will speak in dim gray, since silver is annoyingly bright.

As we see the group of humanoids ahead, Derk grins and speaks up. Hmmm...not what I expected. This may be an ambush, but I suggest to give these lads the benefit of the doubt, hmm? Derk looks around at his fellow travelers. They may be travelers ready to defend themselves if needed.

Derk activates his Detect evil ability to help him gauge the humanoids once he is close enough.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

"Naturally I shall parley with them - this is a place that attracts all things, and it is barren of life. They could need help - they could be hungry, devastated, damaged: we should assist," Androse, as the party knew him, said. He spoke with a faint accent of some far-off place, as if his Common was tainted by a different growing-up. He was young, handsome, and showed strength of personality befitting a so-called exiled prince.

He wore a thick set of heavy robes fit for his claimed position, with a set of wands hanging loosely within.

His golden eyes shimmered, and he stepped forward without fear - perhaps he was insane, perhaps he was just another paladin on some damned fool idealistic crusade.

"Greetings, and welcome. We are but fellow travelers ourselves, and wish to offer any help we might be able to give - 'tisa barren land, and all help ought to be helped, hm?"
    RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Godot nodded glumly.

"I suppose you're right, Androse. This kind of environment could suck the will to live out of anyone. Hmm. What you might do with such a desolate surrounding. Perhaps a single tree..."

She appears lost in thought for a moment, then realizes that he's already striding forward toward the group of humans. She winks out of sight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Godot activates her ring and scurries off to one side to observe.

She has Dragonsight and Superior Resistance active. If we've been travelling together, I think it's fair to assume that Godot has been feeding everyone willing to participate using her horn of plenty - so everyone can have Heroes Feast active if they wish.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Saffron says nothing, allowing the human-who-smelled-wrong, Androse, to go forth and engage in discussion with the band of humans. She doubts very much that they were in need of assistance, but she has been wrong before about such things.

She looks back over her shoulder—in the distance, her great bat companion, Gylda, shines with metallic lustre in the fading light as it swoops and glides. She had let her friend and mount take flight on her own to hunt for food, as the beast preferred the twilight to any other time of day for the catching of prey. She was having little luck, as the skies were as barren as the ground. Saffron wonders if these humans are of enough concern to call her back, then decides they are probably not.

Just to be safe, however, she fades from view, electing to allow the more pleasant visage of Androse to be the face they see, rather than her feline features. She follows the man, in order to keep a close eye and ear on the proceedings.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Hide in Plain Sight to hide, since it's less than full daylight, then sneaking about 30 feet back from Androse as he advances:

Hide: (1d20+35)[53]
    Move Silently: (1d20+35)[55]
    Spot: (1d20+23)[26]
    Listen: (1d20+21)[39]
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Umbriel raises an eyebrow at the sight ahead. She raises her hand to touch the feathers of the raven riding on her shoulder; the bird croaks a harsh word in an infernal tongue, and vanishes.

The wizard gathers the reins of her mount - a strangely smoky and insubstantial creature - but does not ride forward. Instead she speaks a few susurrant syllables. Her hand moves in a brief, truncated gesture. When her lips next move, she speaks in barely a whisper, but all her traveling companions hear her clearly.

"Proceed, if you so wish, but I would suggest caution. I shall withhold my presence, for the present - as it were."

She regards the land and the humanoids up ahead with an intent yet somehow distant gaze.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Message on the party, so those of us being paranoid cautious can easily relay information to the diplomatic types without having to yell it. Valthrax is going to hide in the Familiar Pocket.
    Knowledge (The Planes) to see how much I happen to know about this place: (1d20+35)[53]
    Spellcraft? to see if I recognize the effects of any lingering magic:
    (1d20+29)[32].
    If nothing happens in the next few moments, Umbriel will probably cast Arcane Sight and see if she can see anything magical around.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Rhion follows Androse without even a moment of doubt. He seems a little surprised when he looks back to see that almost all of his new companions are staying behind instead, but Rhion doesn't mind. He flashes an amiable grin to them before turning his head back.

The contrast between his and Androse's appearances also make him smile for a while as he wonders how they must seem to strangers - his shaggy face and middle aged, run-down look against the other's youthful charisma.

As the latter engages in conversation with the humanoids, he keeps back a couple feet and to the side, and says nothing - for now. Just listens, and observes.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

As Androse approaches the humans and some of the team decide to stay behind, Derk of course joins him (and Rhion). Not only does he want to know what is up, it is his job to make sure nothing bad happens to Androse and Rhion.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

As you approach, you see the humanoids are humans. About half are armed, and wearing unfamiliar tabards. The are accompanied by several heavy wagons, pulled by oxen, and laden with what look like very heavy loads under tarcloth. Being approached spooks a few of those armed into readying raising crossbows, although they fall short of actually pointing them in your direction.

A robed man pushes a few of them aside, and approachs. Beneath his simple brown robes you catch sight of a silk jacket, and his hands are heavy with thick gold rings. He gives a broad smile, but his eyes flick back and forth, working out which of Derk and Xiuhcoatl to address.

Greetings! Are you perhaps fellow travellers? We are looking for a waystop know as Reason's Rest, and from there entrance to the city of Sigil. A large place, from what we've been told, with fine wine and civilised company. You...

He lowers his voice, his smile dropping a fraction.

You wouldn't happen to know where it is, would you?

But I get ahead of myself, and ignore the social nicieties that make the Great Wheel turn! This caravan is owned and run by Kalinor the Golden, and I am he.

He gives a little bowlet, not quite deep enough to take his eyes off you.

My associate over there with the pendulum is Uzark, of the Light. I think he's looking for the portal, but I must confess I don't understand most of what he says. He's an expert in his field, where we come from, but alas that is very far away. If you have any secret knowledge, local understanding or even bright ideas, we might all make Sigil before it gets fully dark.

If not, I guess we just make camp and hope that one of these Athar people chances by. We may be in for a long night of it.

He glances back over his shoulder at the caravan, and shivers slightly.
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-06-07 at 02:38 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Upon hearing that they, too, were having difficulty finding the Athar and their inn, Saffron begins circling the area, looking for tracks or scents that might shed light on the situation. She takes careful note of the boot styles these humans are wearing, so as not to confuse their tracks with those of her prey.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tracking, sniffing the air with Scent, looking for clues, etc. Staying hidden as per last post while doing so.

Survival (for tracking): (1d20+33)[49]
    Search: (1d20+19)[24]

Also, using Portal Intuition to determine whether or not a planar breach happened within the last 24 hours. It only checks within 20 feet of me, but I can succeed on the Search DC of 20 on a roll of 1, so I'm just going to stop and check every 40 feet around this area.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Spod has it right.
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

As Derk sees the robed man being undecided, he takes a small step back and nods, indicating that Androse is the guy to adress. Derk will be happy standing around being shiny and friendly. As the robed man talks, he will nod friendly but will wait for Androse to break the ice.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Sensing honesty in Kalinor's words - at least, as much honesty as most travellers are able to muster - Godot slips back into the realm of the visible with a flourish. Better to be a sign of goodwill than to be noticed later on.

"Greetings, Kalinor. We are the retinue of Androse the mighty here, and we are here in search of the same goal as you. We have a couple of experts in such travel as well, but have not yet located the gate either.

"Would it be untoward to ask for your reason in seeking out Sigil - especially with such bravery as to venture into such a desolate place?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive on Kalinor - is he holding something back? (1d20+19)[35]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

14. - Top - End - #14

Beholder

As the others rounded up about him, presenting him as perhaps some lord or king, the man arched his back slightly, raising his chin to the station he deserved.

After all, no matter how humble a dragon is - he's still a dragon.

"Well met, Kalinor; I am Androse Pensive, prince of a far-off realm; and this is my circle of fellows with whom I find myself traveling with," Xiuhcoatl said, his tongue rolling softly to his accent, "It is true that we seek Sigil. I myself wish to know why it is called the City of Doors when it is so difficult to seek passage into it; in addition, it is my goal to press for land to setup a charity there."

He smiled, bowed slightly, and turned, "Perhaps you wish to accompany us? If by my entourage should allow it, I welcome all under my banner."

His banner? His robe had an golden eye of a dragon, encircled with blue-white stitching resembled lightning, on the back of it.
    RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    Upon hearing that they, too, were having difficulty finding the Athar and their inn, Saffron begins circling the area, looking for tracks or scents that might shed light on the situation. She takes careful note of the boot styles these humans are wearing, so as not to confuse their tracks with those of her prey.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tracking, sniffing the air with Scent, looking for clues, etc. Staying hidden as per last post while doing so.

Also, using Portal Intuition to determine whether or not a planar breach happened within the last 24 hours. It only checks within 20 feet of me, but I can succeed on the Search DC of 20 on a roll of 1, so I'm just going to stop and check every 40 feet around this area.
    Ok.

Spoiler
    Show
    You find what appear to be small chunks of masonry and brickwork, but they're quite widely scattered and quite small. Mainly what you find is fine dust. A lot has been scattered by the wind, but there's still a great deal left, hiding in holes where the roots of the plants used to be, and in more sheltered areas lying in lines, probably following the old pattern of the vinyard itself.

What strikes you most is that there is literally nothing alive. You can find a lot of holes consistent with the roots of vines and the bases of fenceposts and the like, but no plants, no insects, nothing. Only fine blackened dust, blowing in the breeze.

Your best guess? Everything living has been turned to dust, and the building itself was blown apart. The area of dust extends over the low hills for a good half mile in every direction. No tracks since the dust.

There was some kind of planar breach quite recently. Maybe an hour or two ago? Quite ragged though. Some kind of rip or breach, rather than something as controlled as a gate or portal.
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-06-07 at 04:59 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

As quietly as she ventured forth, Saffron returns to where Umbriel is waiting, so as not to interrupt the discussions going on with the humans. "The Athar are most likely dead," she whispers to the mage, "Their inn and everything for half a mile followed them to the grave." She relates the details of what she discovered.

Spoiler
    Show
    Umbriel and anyone who hung back with her can pop the spoiler the DM posted for me above; I'm repeating everything I found to you.
    Spod has it right.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Kalinor starts at the sudden appearance of a gnome, but rallies quickly, and turns back to Ambrose.

Ambrose the Mighty? An honour. I fear I must decline your generous offer Prince Pensive. I have backers at home in Chaldecott who would surely look askance at my travelling under the banner of another, with all the questions of divided loyalty that would bring. I'd be happy to travel with you, however, and share what food and fire we have. I'm hoping that we're the end of our journey though.

He glances back at Uzark, some hundred yards away, who appears to be setting up a tripod, and some kind of pendulum.

As for our reason for coming here, well that is simple enough. I am a merchant, and we intend to trade in the city. I am hoping that the city will find what we bring to its tastes.

He nods, and then draws out a small mirror, maybe a foot on each side, bordered by a thin frame decorated with a web-like pattern of dull and shining metals. In it you can see reflected the darkening sky.

I'm confident the city has goods that we want. Planar travel is almost unknown, back home. The trick is to find something we can sell, and I'm hoping our mirrors will do well.

Sense motive check:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive on Kalinor - is he holding something back?
    Absolutely. He's much more nervous than he's letting on, he particularly keeps on sneaking nervous glances over at Umbriel. He's also rather intrigued by Ambrose's suggestion. His regret is genuine, but he's trying to think of a way around it.

He's also very very good at disguising his intentions. This is someone who would expect to fool most of the people most of the time, and is very practiced at doing so.
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-06-07 at 05:55 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

"Your mirrors?" Rhion asks politely, as if getting a cue from the man's last line.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Umbriel frowns, but nods to Saffron in acknowledgement. The tiger-woman's ability to sense shifts in the fabric of the planes is interesting, and might be worthy of study in its own right, but - another time.

When she speaks, her voice is barely a murmur, but all her companions - including those conversing with the humans - can hear her words as if she whispered in their ears.
    "Be calm, but listen, and know that you can whisper back to me and I will hear. Saffron has detected a recent planar breach. No life endures in this place." She relays the rest of Saffron's findings, and as she speaks, thinks for a moment, trying to recall if she knows of any natural phenomenon peculiar to the Outlands that might cause such an effect. "I will test for any lingering magic." She shades her eyes and stares curiously at the man who appears to be setting up a tripod and pendulum. "And perhaps not so lingering, as well..."

She speaks a few words that seem to tingle in the air, clear and sharp as cut glass, and makes a sinuous motion with a wrinkled hand. Her eyes begin to shine an eerie blue as she knees her horse into motion, moving slightly closer to the speaking group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Relaying Saffron's information through Message: hopefully now everyone should be up-to-date, and able to read the spoilerblock the DM posted.

I'll then cast Arcane Sight - lets me see magical auras within 120ft of me. I tap the spellcraft check to identify the school of the auras, unless they're CL 30+ non-spell effects. Spellcraft (1d20+29)[49] for any lingering magic associated with the planar rift. I'm also paying attention to my 100ft blindsense to see if I pick up anything with that.

I got a 53 on Knowledge (The Planes) in my earlier post: any general information about the area I should know? If you prefer, we can use that as my check on planar rips; if not, here's another one: (1d20+35)[44].

If I am not already within 120ft of the "merchants", I would like to begin riding forward, to get close enough to see what, if any, magic the speaker has on him.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2011-06-07 at 06:35 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Yes, mirrors. The idea was to get in with a few high end items, the larger mirrors and magical looking glasses, and then set up a manufactory in Sigil. Nephira, ah... that's my colleague, Nephira, of the Dark, was sent ahead to get things started. She tells me there have been some problems, so I'm keen to get to the city and straighten things out.

He clears his throat.

Sorry, I'm probably boring you to tears, talking shop. Can I ask why you're going to Sigil? I believe the Prince mentioned land?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Godot nods slightly as Umbriel relays Saffron's information. As she hefts an eyebrow speculatively at the merchant, she nonetheless puts on an animated show of interest when the mirror is brought out.

"Ooh, I love mirrors! That's a lovely one. Mind if I take a quick look? No telling what this desolate place has done to my hair. How much?"

She scoots up to Kalinor for a closer look at the mirror he holds up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, what the heck.

Examining the mirror. Possibly relevant rolls:
    Knowledge arcana: (1d20+22)[35] to get a sense of what it might be, if magical
    spellcraft: (1d20+24)[39] Understanding whatever magical effects are present.
    Appraise: (1d20+10)[24]
    Search: (1d20+10)[16]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing that the man didn't reveal as much information about the mirrors as Rhion thought he would, he recedes back into his 'retinue' role and lets the Mighty Androse answer the question.

He also doesn't take the news as particularly shocking (as he rarely does), but nevertheless, a smile appears on his face to replace the last one, this time originating from the simple fact that they are acting such in tune and concert - like an actual team - despite their rather new companionship. A good omen, perhaps, against the rather dark news.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2011-06-07 at 06:56 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    Relaying Saffron's information through Message: hopefully now everyone should be up-to-date, and able to read the spoilerblock the DM posted.
    Everyone may read the spoiler in post 15

Derk Silverhair
    Spoiler
    Show
    Detecting evil, there are definitely a few mildly unsavoury characters in the merchant's group, but no obvious or powerful evil.

Umbriel
    Spoiler
    Show

Nothing on blindsense.

There's no large-scale active magic around. You're not getting anything useful in terms of lingering magic. Whatever planar disturbance occured was doubtless magical in some sense, but all you're picking up is the remains of the disturbance itself, not what caused it.

About the Outlands themselves? Nothing not covered in the thread. The geopgraphy is morphic with regards to travel, which means that there is no such thing as 'nearby'. Either someone is in the same area and interacting with you, or they're somewhere else and it would take at least three days for them to reach you.

This also means (cheery thought) that the devastation, which Saffron mentioned covers about a half mile in every direction, has basically covered the entire available area. This place is probably only about a mile across, and beyond that doesn't really exist in any meaningful sense. So you can't really judge the area effect - whether it was a mile wide effect, or whether it was potentially much larger.

Planar rips can occur naturally, and usually go away eventually. You could produce them magically, but generally wizards try to produce something a little more controlled. So it might be the result of someone who doesn't really know what they're doing, or who doesn't care about the danger to themselves or others.

The dust is consistent with all the life energy being sucked out of the area, killing every living thing. Negative energy would have that effect, but you'd have thought you'd pick up some trace of a massive influx of negative energy, and there aren't any. You could, in theory, use magic to remove life energy from someone without tapping the negative plane, but it would be harder, and it's not obvious why anyone would want to.

It's possible you could do it with Void magic? It's associated with some obscure ancient ruins, and survives today mainly in the form of Void Disciples. In planar terms it involves tapping into the 'void' between planar boundaries. In legend entire planets have been found sucked dry by past conflicts between long-forgotten empires who used void magic.

It's not a very efficient way to destroy an inn though.

The humans in general don't have much magic with them. Several have magic weapons, the carts are mildly magical, and something in the cargo radiates strong divination magic. Uzark has a few minor magic items on him, including the pendulum (div), his robe (abj), and his amulet (transmutation). Kalinor lights up like a christmas tree, with almost everything he's wearing (vest, robes, all 8 rings, braclets, necklace, broach, belt, boots) radiating varying degrees of magic. About the only thing that isn't, is the mirror. He's holding. While impressive, the sheer quantity of magical items makes you a little suspicious. Why would anyone wear 8 magical rings?

Still for what it's worth:
    vest - strong transmutation
    robes - weak abjuration
    8 rings - various
    braclet - strong necromancy
    necklace - strong transmutation
    broach - weak abjuration
    belt - moderate enchantment
    boots - weak conjuration

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

I'm afraid I can't sell you this one - I need it as a sample. But you're more than welcome to buy one when we get to the city. Feel free to have a look.

(He's happy to pass the mirror over to anyone who wants to hold it.)

Godot
    Spoiler
    Show
    Examining the mirror.

It doesn't seem to do anything magical as you look at it. It's good quality, a bit scuffed but not marked or scratched. The frame is probably an alchemical silver wash over a pewter base - not actually that hard to do, apparently, but worth a bit in areas where people don't know the trick of it. However the frame doesn't quite fit properly, probably done by an alchemist who knew jack about making frames.

It's also about twice as heavy as it should be. As if it were made of stone or metal, not glass.

Uzark's heavily accented voice drifts over from where he is examining his pendulum.

Kalinor! I do not want to be upsetting your negotiations. I am sure you will be making them much laugh! But we will be making not with the progress unless we find where the Athars were locating their gate! Can they make with the help or not?

Kalinor winces.
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-06-07 at 08:03 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Umbriel's eyebrows go up. She slips off her horse, takes a small square of cloth out of her belt pouch, and gathers some of the dust, tucking it back into her pouch. Standing back up, she whispers through the Message to her allies,
    "Most interesting. There's no magic here at all. No lingering aura of an explosion, or a necromancer pouring negative energy into this plane. Simply... nothingness." Perhaps later she will share her other speculations, but for now it would only be a distraction. "Our new friends, on the other hand: there's a strong source of divinatory power in their carts, and the one you are conversing with... well. I suspect an illusion to generate false auras on his gear. Perhaps a scam in the making? The mirror shows no magic, but if the other auras are false, that could be as well."

In response to Uzark's call, Umbriel remounts and rides over toward the robed man. She regards his apparatus curiously. "Perhaps I can assist here. What techniques are you employing?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Umbriel will focus her arcane sight on Uzark to see if he has any spellcasting or spell-like abilities, whether they are arcane or divine, and the strength of the most powerful spell or spell-like ability he currently has available for use.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2011-06-07 at 11:52 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Godot laughs with delight at Uzark's comment. She turns to Androse and hands him the mirror. She murmurs with wonder - and to make sure that the others hear.

"Such lovely workmanship, don't you think, Lord? And so heavy. What's it made of, do you think?"

Without waiting for an answer, she turns back to Kalinor.

"Of course, of course, I understand that you can't give away your sample. But one of the production versions? You've got a moment to show me some of your stock, while the brains figure out which direction to go? That is, unless Mister Uzark the Impatient knows which direction to head next. In which case, I could just ride in your wagon as you go, and look over the merchandise en route. Because what luck for a merchant such as yourself, to find a customer like Lord Androse, a man of such taste and breeding, here in the middle of the desolation. Why look such a gift horse in the mouth?

She smiles winsomely up at the merchant.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+40)[54]
    Sense motive: (1d20+19)[20]

Edit: both rolls are actually 2 higher - forgot about shared talent.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2011-06-08 at 09:35 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Saffron growls under her breath. "The humans are meaningless. They did not do this, and they do not know who did. They are a waste of time." While she was certain that they were engaged in one scheme or another, the scale of devastation here...and to kill every animal and plant in the process? No, the ones who did this were her quarry now.

She sniffed the area where the planar breach had occurred...if she could catch the scent just right, perhaps she could tell what plane had breached this one. Brimstone? Saltwater? Machine oil? That would give them a lead to go on.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trying to use portal intuition to learn where the breach went. I need to make a DC 20 Survival check and a DC 20 Knowledge (the planes) check. I can't fail either one normally, but I'm rolling them in case there's negative circumstances or additional information to be had.

Survival: (1d20+26)[42]
    Knowledge (the planes): (1d20+19)[33]
    Spod has it right.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing that both Kalinor and Uzark are engaged in conversation with his companions or otherwise are kept busy, Rhion slowly and silently lets himself away, wandering around the caravan. He throws casual greetings and nods at the people he walks past, looking around the wagons with some interest, acting like a tourist in general.

Spoiler
    Show
    Of course, having a bit of that high-level-induced paranoia, he also keeps an eye out for anything suspicious or out of the ordinary.

Spot - (1d20+14)[28]
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2011-06-08 at 06:23 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Beholder

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for not posting - I was DMing a real life game!

Androse takes the mirror - examining it himself, searching every angle, trying to see if it had some magic to reveal the true self of those exposed to it.

He wasn't sure why he felt that's what the mirror did - in fact he never heard of such a thing, but it just seemed the right place at the right time.

"Unusually heavy, yes," he agreed, trying to search the eyes of the merchant. Something was up. His dragon-sense was tingling.

The dragon spoke firmly, glancing up to the man, stepping forward toward him: "Say, where exactly do you come from? We are travelers from a faraway place, and I reckon you are as well."

Spoiler
    Show

Specific knowledge he is using:
    Knowledge (the Planes): (1d20+15)[29]
    Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+15)[18]
    Knowledge (Religion): (1d20+15)[18]

He is looking at the object to try to determine what plane it might be on, any magical abilities a heavy mirror might have, and if it has religious significance.
    Last edited by Obrysii; 2011-06-08 at 12:32 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

With growing amazement Derk witnesses the fluidity of Godot's tongue. He clearly doesn't quite grasp what is going on around him, with the messages and movement around him, so he decides to look at the mirror, as if interested, and reaffirms his pose as shiny knight protector.