Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Togo's Planar Adventure set partly in Sigil (OOC)

The lion pouncing would happen on the second round, right? Presumably he couldn't set up a readied action to pounce in the same round he transformed, right?
    Pointing out hypocrisy is not disrespect.

RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ettin in the Playground

He actually changed shape just before the battle started. The post list reflects that too.

The benefits of setting up an attack. Now, if we were the ones getting ambushed, Rhion would have to waste a round changing shape.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2011-08-20 at 08:18 AM.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)
    Games Joined: 53
    Games Dead: 50
    Games Successfully Finished: 0
    Partially Finished/TPK'd: 1

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

Just waiting for my Knowledge check results (or lack thereof), in case I get something like "they have personal Antimagic Fields" or "they have personal Anticipate Teleport fields", or something saying "You recognize the man as an extremely powerful demon, a much bigger threat than the brutes". Assuming nothing like that, though, yeah, I'll teleport Derk in, aiming him at one of the brutes.

If the one Rhion went for is still alive, I'll target him, else I'll go for one of the two further back. In either case I'll move to a 5ft step away from them, float up off my Phantom Steed (5ft step with Perfect flight), and Benign-Transposition myself with Derk (who I should be able to sense through blindsense, I hope). He's flying iirc, so this should avoid any potential confusion with what happens when you BT a mounted character. If there's a line-of-sight/effect problem with this plan, let me know - in that case I'll probably pull Valthrax out again and get her to fly over, then transpose her with Derk (since Umbriel will have line of sight/effect to both of them), or just use a different spell.

Togo, if this gives you enough information to resolve my actions, please feel free to continue, I can edit in the flavor text later.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

Ooh! Knowledge checks. What a good idea. She'll use Collector of Stories to add (I think - I'm away from books) +5 to the first relevant result.

Arcana (1d20+22)[35]
    Any other (1d20+8)[9] crap,should be two higher.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Sorry for the silence - I had a weekend without internet !

Obrysii
    Spoiler
    Show
    You've listed two move actions and a standard action, which is more than you can usually do in a round (two more OR one move and one standard). can you edit your post or repost or something?

On the good side, summoned creatures get full actions as soon as they appear. So your elephant would get to act, provided you can get it out this round.

Finally, not entirely sure where you are flying to. You start at the bottom of the map next to the cart - where are you releasing the elephant?

Umbriel
    Spoiler
    Show
    They're all 'normal' humans. However, they've been horribly mutated by some kind of divine magic. Such things are theoretically possible, but the closest you've ever seen to this is descriptions of experiments by the Yuan-Ti, and this doesn't seem like their style of work.
    Your best estimate would be weak DR/silver, great strength, and maybe some form of scent?

Godot
    Spoiler
    Show
    They're humans that have been heavily changed or mutated in some way. A magically degenerate race of some kind? Such things are theoretically possible, but the closest you've ever seen to this is descriptions of experiments to create liches or necropolitans, only using some other kind of magical source other than death/negative energy.
    Your best estimate would be weak DR/silver, great strength, and maybe some form of scent?

Sthrer
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm.. If you had to guess, you'd say that these creatures were created by somehow crossing normal humans with something unspeakably foul and horrible. Nothing to do with the Far Realms, though, as far as you can tell.

Derk
    Spoiler
    Show
    How are you getting quickened shield as a free action? Quickened spells are generally swift actions.

Given that there is nothing in Umbriel's knowlege check that suggests resistance to teleporting attacks, I'll assume that's going ahead.

The mirror is the cart is a one of the large 'glass-steel' mirrors and is intended as a decoy. Nystal's magic aura has been cast on it to make it appear magical. It's worth about 3-4000gp. It would be a shame if you lost it, but it's not magical and Kalinor probably wouldn't be worried if it went missing. He has more.
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-08-21 at 06:15 PM.

6. - Top - End - #336

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Togo View Post
    Obrysii
    Spoiler
    Show
    You've listed two move actions and a standard action, which is more than you can usually do in a round (two more OR one move and one standard). can you edit your post or repost or something?

On the good side, summoned creatures get full actions as soon as they appear. So your elephant would get to act, provided you can get it out this round.

Finally, not entirely sure where you are flying to. You start at the bottom of the map next to the cart - where are you releasing the elephant?
    It's up to you whether drawing out the elephant requires its own move action, or if the carpet has its own. Essentially, he used a free action to command the carpet to move, used his move action to produce the elephant, and a standard action to summon it.

I explained where he went. You did not list North, south, east, west on your map. Nor did you bother to keep the Excel-file organizational pattern ("B3", etc) ... so I did the best I could. The top-most (top being the top of the screen) square, roughly two in. Basically a spot where he could summon the elephant and it wouldn't fail to summon due to lack of space.

I'll post in the IC thread the elephant's actions.
    Last edited by Obrysii; 2011-08-21 at 05:21 PM.

RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ettin in the Playground

Togo: argh, the thought of a weekend without Internet is horrifying I don't know what I'd do... good to have you back

I edited my last post for the Knowledge check and Benign Transposition flavor text: yes, you can assume Umbriel is attempting it. If it works, Umbriel's Phantom Steed doesn't get transposed, so it's either standing aimlessly on the street (under where Derk transposed in), or returning to its caster, or doing whatever else Togo feels suitable If the BT doesn't work for some reason, Umbriel will go back to the corner on her steed, shoot Derk an apologetic look, and watch the show.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Having a few technical problems with the map, but will attempt a second upload.

Ifni, can you tell me if Umbriel is aiming Derk at the same target as Rhion, or a different one. You'll know that Rhion didn't kill his target.

Obrysii, I can see where you're going, you'll find there is another brute up there, but you'll still have space to deploy an elephant.

Map updated, full replies tomorrow
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-08-21 at 06:37 PM.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ettin in the Playground

Having a few technical problems with the map, but will attempt a second upload.

Ifni, can you tell me if Umbriel is aiming Derk at the same target as Rhion, or a different one. You'll know that Rhion didn't kill his target.
    Same target, then. Umbriel believes in concentrating fire (Also, if that guy's not dead, getting past him might be dangerous: she hasn't lived this long by taking gratuitous AoOs, or by assuming that brutes don't have Combat Reflexes )
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, and also, Togo, I forgot to add that I meant for Rhion to use a swift action to activate the Blur effect on his armor. Since the next round hasn't been posted yet, can I do it, or is it too late?

Edit: Rhion HP: 175/175, AC: 29, for ease of use.

Edit2: @Ifni: Isn't it funny that even at level 15, Glitterdust still manages to be a viable spell?
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2011-08-21 at 07:00 PM.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Oh, and also, Togo, I forgot to add that I meant for Rhion to use a swift action to activate the Blur effect on his armor. Since the next round hasn't been posted yet, can I do it, or is it too late?

Edit: Rhion HP: 175/175, AC: 29, for ease of use.

Edit2: @Ifni: Isn't it funny that even at level 15, Glitterdust still manages to be a viable spell?
    Hey, the spell I'm actually casting is L1, and holds its value even better But yeah, I know people who would heighten Glitterdust to L7 and use it as a primary combat spell at L15 - personally I'm not such a fan of save-or-lose, but it is an amazingly good save-or-lose spell for its level.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

Derk
    Spoiler
    Show
    How are you getting quickened shield as a free action? Quickened spells are generally swift actions.
    Hi Togo,

During the summer I am typically horribly away from books. I used this SRD as reference after being in doubt myself. If this source is out-of-date or just not flying for you, please do subtract 4 from my AC (no free action, replace the Air devotion with a swift shield).

No harm done, I hope, and for sure no foul intended. Summers just tend to be a roller coaster for me (not partying, but actually (field) working all over Europe). My bad, my apologies .
    No PbP posting during the Easter weekend (Fri-Mon)

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Autopsibiofeeder View Post
    Hi Togo,

During the summer I am typically horribly away from books. I used this SRD as reference after being in doubt myself. If this source is out-of-date or just not flying for you, please do subtract 4 from my AC (no free action, replace the Air devotion with a swift shield).

No harm done, I hope, and for sure no foul intended. Summers just tend to be a roller coaster for me (not partying, but actually (field) working all over Europe). My bad, my apologies .
    *nods* The PHB didn't use the "swift action" terminology, but when it was introduced in later sources, quickened spells were stated to be swift actions.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #344

Beholder

you'll still have space to deploy an elephant.
    Ah, the number of times I've both said that and had that told to me.

What?

Edit: Out of curiosity, how heavy is the wagon + the supplies in it?
    Last edited by Obrysii; 2011-08-21 at 08:26 PM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Derk I've assumed that, having killed one opponent you would then 5ft forward to engage another, rather than waste the last two swings. This does put you in a more dangerous position though. Let me know if I assumed correctly.

No, it's not too late. Do you have a wilding clasp on your armour? Otherwise it will meld, and you can't use the blur ability.

If you can use it, you can ignore all that sneak attack damage you're about to take...

Quote Originally Posted by Autopsibiofeeder View Post
    No prob.

(where are you in Europe?)

Quote Originally Posted by Obrysii View Post
    Out of curiosity, how heavy is the wagon + the supplies in it?
    Erm... quite heavy. Your wagon is effectively carrying a peice of steel about 10 feet long, four feet wide and about two inches thick. It's unlikely anyone will move quickly with it.

I can run some numbers if you need to know.

(And... how often do you discuss elephants?)

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Derk I've assumed that, having killed one opponent you would then 5ft forward to engage another, rather than waste the last two swings. This does put you in a more dangerous position though. Let me know if I assumed correctly.

No prob.

(where are you in Europe?)
    You assumption is correct. The dangerous position is where Derk is built for to be in .

Currently in Switzerland. Have been in Italy, France, Austria, Germany, The Netherlands and Norway in the past two months.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

The combat round is up. Everyone may now act again.

I've tried to improve the map. Let me know if anyone really objects to where they've been put.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

I am just wondering: could everybody give a (rough) status report in the OOC, or in a spoiler in the IC? Derk is a protector by nature, but I have a hard time figuring out who is getting hurt badly and who is dodging the blows well.

Derk is being flanked, but it appears the guy attacking him has a hard time hitting him (no damage so far).

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

hm.. I'd call +10 power attack a deep strike... Even then I'm not seeing how the bigger golder Androse could be taken down in two blows....

(Note that changing form heals you your HD in hp.)
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-08-22 at 05:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Godot, you've got man 2 trying to stab himself there. Did you mean to dominate man3 to stab man2?

21. - Top - End - #351

Beholder

hm.. I'd call +10 power attack a deep strike... Even then I'm not seeing how the bigger golder Androse could be taken down in two blows....

(Note that changing form heals you your HD in hp.)
    They were hitting for 50+ damage. Three strikes in that damage range and I'm at -2. I have 149hp and AC 30.

However, I'm not planning on getting into melee range. Any heavy stones nearby?

22. - Top - End - #352

Question: Are these folks Evil? Because with Circle Against Evil up, anyone within ten feet of me gets +2 Deflection to their AC against Evil things.
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

Awesome Hex avatar by kpenguin

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

Godot, you've got man 2 trying to stab himself there. Did you mean to dominate man3 to stab man2?
    Yes, that's it exactly. So sorry.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ettin in the Playground

No, it's not too late. Do you have a wilding clasp on your armour? Otherwise it will meld, and you can't use the blur ability.

If you can use it, you can ignore all that sneak attack damage you're about to take...
    Yes to Wilding Clasp. I put a lot of enchantments on that armor, and did plan it to use it in battle.

The blur effect lasts for 5 rounds. Also I can roll for the miss chances for the attacks against Rhion, if you want. 1 misses.

Man3 - (1d4)[1]
    Man1 - (1d4)[2]
    Man1 - (1d4)[1]
    Man1 - (1d4)[3]
    Man1 - (1d4)[2]
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Obrysii View Post
    They were hitting for 50+ damage. Three strikes in that damage range and I'm at -2. I have 149hp and AC 30.

However, I'm not planning on getting into melee range. Any heavy stones nearby?
    Yes. The allyway marked in red is a pile of rubble, including some very big peices. The cart in the far east of the map has a statue in it, and some other large stones. The wreckage from the cart has some large peices, which would qualify (the wheel that was thrown at you for example). And then there is the roof itself, which you could probably rip up and throw or push over at someone. You are a dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by THEChanger View Post
    Question: Are these folks Evil? Because with Circle Against Evil up, anyone within ten feet of me gets +2 Deflection to their AC against Evil things.
    Yes, circle and similar will count against them.

Yes to Wilding Clasp. I put a lot of enchantments on that armor, and did plan it to use it in battle.

The blur effect lasts for 5 rounds. Also I can roll for the miss chances for the attacks against Rhion, if you want. 1 misses.
    <snip>
    That's fine in principle, but blur gives you 20% miss chance, and a 1 on a d4 is 25% miss chance.

Use these instead, where a 1-20 misses:

Man 3 (1d100)[88]
    Man 1 (1d100)[77]
    Man 1 (1d100)[63]
    Man 1 (1d100)[79]
    Man 1 (1d100)[73]

Also, ignore all the sneak attack damage, since you have concealment.
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-08-23 at 01:50 AM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ettin in the Playground

THEChanger, how badly is Simon hurt? There's quite a bit I can do here, but if he needs emergency evacuation, I can prioritize that.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, right. I probably meant to do 1d5. Can't think straight these days. Anyway, no dice either way.

Also, Man1's third attack against Rhion is a threat.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2011-08-23 at 04:32 AM.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

I am about to post in the IC thread, but Derk is waiting to see how his buddies are doing. He is about to keep on smashing stuff, but if one of us is in real danger, he will move to take over the burden. This goes especially to Simon's situation, I guess.

29. - Top - End - #359

Well, this guy just took me down from 128 HP to 58 HP. That's 70 Points. Through DR Adamantine. With an axel.
    I is not happy. Neither is Simon. He's going to be beating on this poser. But, he's not in good shape. There are little cracks forming all on his stone form at this point. Hurts a lot. But that makes him angry. So, he's probably going to focus on beating this freak into the ground. Which, considering I'm about to unleash a 4d6 Full Attack on him, half of which is going to be pure Holy energy, and most likely boosted by Power Attack to a certain degree, will be a most excellent beatdown.
    Healing would be most nice, however. Cures and Repairs are both appreciated.
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

Awesome Hex avatar by kpenguin

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by THEChanger View Post
    Well, this guy just took me down from 128 HP to 58 HP. That's 70 Points. Through DR Adamantine. With an axel.
    I is not happy. Neither is Simon. He's going to be beating on this poser. But, he's not in good shape. There are little cracks forming all on his stone form at this point. Hurts a lot. But that makes him angry. So, he's probably going to focus on beating this freak into the ground. Which, considering I'm about to unleash a 4d6 Full Attack on him, half of which is going to be pure Holy energy, and most likely boosted by Power Attack to a certain degree, will be a most excellent beatdown.
    Healing would be most nice, however. Cures and Repairs are both appreciated.
    Togo, how many PCs could I get with the Haste? I'm not sure where everyone was at the time Valthrax cast the spell. Derk and Rhion would've been the top priorities, then Simon and Sthrer, with Umbriel and Godot lowest priority.

Simon, I can't heal, but I can give you (and everyone else) a free-action teleport to anywhere within your base land speed and your line of sight, or toss up a Wall of Force to block you off from the brutes. In either case, if you want to full-attack (which I think is a good idea), I'll wait until after you've acted.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show